Can't get a cold one in Arkansas on Sunday?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago, in a place near Lake of the Ozarks S/C Missouri, we ate at a nice enough restaurant that had house wine on the honor system. Each table had a carafe and you got charged by the glass. The waiter could also gauge based on how low the carafe was.

There was a big Baptist convention in town that weekend. When the 2 couples sharing the table next to us were asked if they wanted any wine glasses, one of the guys looked around and quietly said, "We're Baptists so we're not supposed to drink."

Then one of the ladies said, "But we're more like Northern Baptists, so yeah, 4 glasses please."

Harding U. There was a huge controversy last year when the county started letting restaurant sale private memberships to buy drinks. Harding had been very successful at keeping the city, county and some of the surrounding counties dry.

That's the same county where I grew up. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Harding either.

Back in the 80's and 90's they went so far as to make sure magazines and books they didn't approve of weren't sold in any bookstores in the county. They lobbied to ensure some "normal" channels (e.g. MTV) weren't available on cable tv. Their rules were a joke amongst their student body, and many times their students were the wilder people to be around. They were supposed to attend chapel every day, but I knew people that would "hire" someone to sit in their seat so they wouldn't be counted as absent. So many chapel absences meant getting disciplined or expelled. It's a really weird school, but they're a large employer in a relatively small city so they got their way.

Exact same hours here. Washington - all the benefits of California but without the income tax.

Thank goodness. Although the governor and his minions would like to have an income tax.

ha ha. My joke about Utah liquor law: where’s the busiest Utah liquor store? Evanston Wyoming. More Utah plates in the liquor store parking lot than Wyoming plates. Liquor store staff was congenial to strangers (at least compared to what I am used to in Denver). Anyway it seemed folks liked to avoid the state run liquor stores in Utah.

I had a friend decades ago in the Denver area who had a hat that said it all - "Eat, drink and be merry. For tomorrow you may be in Utah!"

Here in New Hampshire you can buy beer and wine in convenience and grocery stores but if you want hard liquor you need to buy it at a liquor store and the State of NH owns all the liquor stores. We even have liquor stores on the highway to increase sales tourists.

If you don't like the laws, why are you living there? Like I tell people around here, the interstate runs north and south. Pick one.

If you aren't living there, why are you bothered?

When I started at Appalachian, Watauga was a dry county, the kids had to drive to Blowing Rock and there were three beer stores on the county line. Not really a big deal. They allowed beer and wine when I was there, then raised the drinking age to 21. Again, not a big deal.

If not being able to drink on Sunday is "suffering", this might turn into a HIMS thread.

Pretty lame response there... it seems the point being made in this thread is that these rules are stupid, antiquated, and primarily based on religious beliefs. You say “move”? How about voting to get rid of the stupidity instead? For me, being an anti-religion atheist type, I despise having these silly religion based laws imposed on me. It has nothing to do with “suffering” without a drink on Sunday, but it’s about me being an adult being able to make my own grown-up choices. The church and moral police need to stay the hell out of it.

Pretty lame response there... it seems the point being made in this thread is that these rules are stupid, antiquated, and primarily based on religious beliefs. You say “move”? How about voting to get rid of the stupidity instead? For me, being an anti-religion atheist type, I despise having these silly religion based laws imposed on me. It has nothing to do with “suffering” without a drink on Sunday, but it’s about me being an adult being able to make my own grown-up choices. The church and moral police need to stay the hell out of it.

So everyone else should change to accommodate you? I thought we were talking about adult things.

Don't want to have an argument. Just suggesting that it is a big country and if you don't like the laws where you live, there are at least 49 other states to choose from who might be more in line with your desires. Every time you insist on getting your way, you require someone else to not get theirs. While blue laws might have started from religious root, they are not in fact religious laws. In the south they are cultural.

In my cultural we have a beer when grilling :)
709 ride for Briany. He failed to ensure adequate beer to complete the mission so he arrived high and dry resulting in a sober grilling. At least it wasn’t summer yet but his cert will be suspended until he demonstrates grill planning and execution to the satisfaction of POA.

Crazy stuff. You just have to wonder about the intelligence of the people who write, pass, and sign these laws. As much as we all ***** about the federal government, state and local ones are the worst.

It’s all those really smart politicians I have been hearing about. Haven’t met one yet

So everyone else should change to accommodate you? I thought we were talking about adult things.

Don't want to have an argument. Just suggesting that it is a big country and if you don't like the laws where you live, there are at least 49 other states to choose from who might be more in line with your desires. Every time you insist on getting your way, you require someone else to not get theirs. While blue laws might have started from religious root, they are not in fact religious laws. In the south they are cultural.

Cultural is a choice. When you make a law forcing others to abide by your choices, it is no longer cultural, it's legal. Eliminating so called blue laws will not force you to go buy beer on Sunday.

I think it ironic that the folks who scream the loudest about "freedom" are the ones most likely to restrict my ability to buy a drink on Sunday. But there I go getting all political again.

Yes, there you go getting political again. And you’re probably the first to report a post that responds to your politics. It’s convenient when you have the mods on your side.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back