Can we talk about checklists

For those of you that rent airplanes, do you just use the checklist the FBO give you? Have any of you ever made your own checklist for a rental plane?
When I was flying in San Diego at Plus One Flyers, I would regularly bounce between 172s/PA28s/PA32/Duchess/210...etc

I made a small kneeboard size checklist binder that had checklists for everything I flew, but using the same format - I'd basically review the individual checklists and put those items in a common format, so while I might have different things to check on say a runup, I was doing things in the same rough order regardless of the specific airplane I was flying. It seemed to make transitioning back and forth between planes easy.

I use the checklist to block out the sun.

I stick with the checkmate checklists. Makes the switch between planes easier. Nothing like reading the 8 page checklist some of the rentals have.

And they do act as good sun visors!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 4.49.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2016-02-11 at 4.49.40 PM.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 17
Bringing this one back up to ask a question: Anyone using a checklist that does not rely on a challenge-verification/response format even if only for certain items?

You can find a ton of checklists on the web (make up your own using them too), plus all the pilot supply joints sell them too.

Last edited:
James331 said:
I think the think is you shouldn't need to shrink the text to fit a fixed gear GA piston single checklist on one sheet.

I've seen yours before and I really like it. Print is a little small for me though.

We all have our preferences. That's what's nice about rolling your own.

I could definitely consolidate mine more than I have. But leaving it as it is - easy and familiar - outweighs whatever additional benefit I might get. Perhaps in revision 15... :D
On a commercial flight this week, I printed out yours and mine for comparison. Turns out mine doesn't really have much more information than yours, except that I include a engine start checklist. That's primarily because the multiple makes/models I have flown have different starting procedures, especially when it comes to fuel-injected models. Just easier to keep it in to review the sequence for that make/model. And once in, might as well keep the other pre-start items even though many of them - belts, controls, etc - are pretty much habit at this point.

Bringing this one back up to ask a question: Anyone using a checklist that does not rely on a challenge-verification/response format even if only for certain items?

Sort of along the lines of what you are asking....
I have always been a fan of the response just being.... "Check"

In other words, instead of:

Landing light..........ON
Flaps.....................Full
Landing gear..........Down & Locked

I have always prefered:

Landing light on.......CHECK
Flaps full.................CHECK
Landing gear down & locked......CHECK

I have always thought that format enhanced standardization, and is particularly useful for single pilot ops.

Sort of along the lines of what you are asking....
I have always been a fan of the response just being.... "Check"

In other words, instead of:

Landing gear..........Down & Locked

I have always prefered:

Landing gear down & locked......CHECK

I have always thought that format enhanced standardization, and is particularly useful for single pilot ops.
I think that's what Mark is talking about, just eliminate the word "CHECK" which is not necessary in single pilot ops.

Somebody mentioned Lights Camera Action

Please explain. (I know the lights part.).

I never understood it either.

Personally, I always like BLT w/Mayo for final items:

Boost pumps
Lights
Transponder
Mixtures

GUMPS FIT

Gas
undercarriage
Mixture
Prop
Switches

Flaps
Instruments
Trim/transponder

I've always run that in my head after my flow and checklist before takeoff and landing.

It's a final before takeoff check when crossing the hold short line and entering the runway.

Camera - transponder.
Action - more or less a catchall for a group of engine-related things that can vary with aircraft, like going to full rich and turning on the fuel pump.

I think that's what Mark is talking about, just eliminate the word "CHECK" which is not necessary in single pilot ops.
Pretty much. Checklists in other endeavors - medicine, law, etc - are simply the task with a box to check it off as complete. We see that somewhat in electronic checklists, although many of them continue to use the standard
Item — SETTING​
we've come to know and love. It may be because standardization is a good thing. It's become familiar.

So using Kritchlow's example, instead of
Landing gear..........Down & Locked​
or even
Landing gear down & locked......CHECK​
we'd just have
Landing light on
Flaps full
Landing gear down & locked​

I like to fly by a flow checks. I'm a visual learner and when I read, I read what I want skipping over large parts. This will sound ridiculous to a lot of people but I forget far more when I use a checklist.
During my instrument rating training I used a checklist of flow checks instead of a checklist of items. That worked well for me.
I am working on my commercial now and my instructor insists that the examiner isn't going to pass me without prudent use of a checklist. So instead of going item by item completing the tasks, I do my flow check, then AFTERWARDS go through the items on the checklist confirming. It takes a little time but it has been working well for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to fly by a flow checks. I'm a visual learner and when I read, I read what I want skipping over large parts. This will sound ridiculous to a lot of people but I forget far more when I use a checklist.
During my instrument rating training I used a checklist of flow checks instead of a checklist of items. That worked well for me.
I am working on my commercial now and my instructor insists that the examiner isn't going to pass me without prudent use of a checklist. So instead of going item by item completing the tasks, I do my flow check, then AFTERWARDS go through the items on the checklist confirming. It takes a little time but it has been working well for me.
You are describing a SOP used by many pilots - flow with checklist confirmation. It really should not take much time at all since it is a series of tasks you just did. (My short term memory is bad but not that bad! :no:) My checklist use (except when used to brief something) is pretty much
Read the task and mentally say, "Done."​

Back