Can I use this Part?

Agreed. That goes for most anyone on this forum. I may kid around a lot at your expense Tom but no malice is ever intended; I hope you know that.

Ya gotta remember a smart owner is my best customer. that applies to your's too.

Agreed. That goes for most anyone on this forum. I may kid around a lot at your expense Tom but no malice is ever intended; I hope you know that.
Weather I knew it or not, it doesn't bother me. but it is nice to see you say it.

Well there ya go. Lets all hold hands and form a circle now....

ahem......kum by ya

Agreed, I just wanted clarification for what you were meaning. At least with some paperwork accompanying the part there might be a reasonable justification on why a mechanic installed said part beyond just the mechanic thinking it was the right one and acceptable for use.

It amazes me what some owners come up for with for parts and expect mechanics to install and sign off on. It is easy to see why some mechanics refuse to do anything with owner supplied parts or used parts, in an attempt to limit their liability.
You wouldn't believe some of the things I found while performing parts receiving inspection. Parts marked "Overhauled", that clearly weren't. Parts sold as "New" that clearly weren't. Who'd want to pay the new price for a used part? Parts with identification that didn't match certification. There's all kinds of information online about bogus/unapproved parts, even an Advisory Circular (20-62E) if anyone is interested.

On my ride, I prefer to buy my parts at NAPA (when appropriate) and install them myself.

But, of course, on my ride it's safe and legal to do so since the laws of physics vary based on the color of the airworthiness certificate.

Did anyone ever come up with a definitive answer to the question about how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?

...Did anyone ever come up with a definitive answer to the question about how many Angels can dance on the head of a pin?

tootsie-pop-owl.jpg

On my ride, I prefer to buy my parts at NAPA (when appropriate) and install them myself.

But, of course, on my ride it's safe and legal to do so since the laws of physics vary based on the color of the airworthiness certificate.
AC 20-62E

b. Acceptable Parts. The following parts may be found to be acceptable for installation on
a TC’d product:

(1) Standard parts (such as nuts and bolts) conforming to an established industry or
U.S. specification.

f. Standard Part. Is a part manufactured in complete compliance with an established
U.S. Government or industry-accepted specification, which includes design, manufacturing, and
uniform identification requirements. The specification must include all information necessary to
produce and conform to the part. The specification must be published so that any party may
manufacture the part. Examples include, but are not limited to, National Aerospace Standard
(NAS), Air Force/Navy (AN) Aeronautical Standard, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE),
Aerospace Standard (AS), Military Standard (MS), etc

;) OWT never cease to exist....

AC 20-62E

b. Acceptable Parts. The following parts may be found to be acceptable for installation on
a TC’d product:

(1) Standard parts (such as nuts and bolts) conforming to an established industry or
U.S. specification.

f. Standard Part. Is a part manufactured in complete compliance with an established
U.S. Government or industry-accepted specification, which includes design, manufacturing, and
uniform identification requirements. The specification must include all information necessary to
produce and conform to the part. The specification must be published so that any party may
manufacture the part. Examples include, but are not limited to, National Aerospace Standard
(NAS), Air Force/Navy (AN) Aeronautical Standard, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE),
Aerospace Standard (AS), Military Standard (MS), etc

;) OWT never cease to exist....
" This advisory circular (AC) provides information and guidance for use in determining the quality, eligibility and traceability of aeronautical parts and materials intended for installation on U.S. type-certificated (TC) products and articles, and to enable compliance with the applicable regulations."

Does not apply if you are "in the pink".

" This advisory circular (AC) provides information and guidance for use in determining the quality, eligibility and traceability of aeronautical parts and materials intended for installation on U.S. type-certificated (TC) products and articles, and to enable compliance with the applicable regulations."

Even when you have a ton of paper with it, who makes the decision to use or not? ----> In the end it's always the installer.

Did not say it did, in reference to your statement about the color of your airworthiness certificate allows you to use bolts from NAPA when indeed you may also use bolts from NAPA on an aircraft with a white certificate as well.

I had one guy who wanted to replace the fuel tank screws on his Cherokee with NAPA sourced "same damn thing" hardware. I told him that would render his aircraft unairworthy and to then go find another maintainer.

I had one guy who wanted to replace the fuel tank screws on his Cherokee with NAPA sourced "same damn thing" hardware. I told him that would render his aircraft unairworthy and to then go find another maintainer.
should have kept him, at least he talks to you prior to doing and letting you hunt for it.

How did it render it unairworthy ?

I mean, you didn't give any specifics... at all. Did he try to give you grade 3 hardware in place of AN hardware that was equivalent to grade 8 ?

Hardware store screws are not equivalent to aircraft structural screws. Standard aircraft screws are not equivalent to structural aircraft screws.
I like to use the right part for the right application. :)

It was a wooden aircraft right?.....I mean wood screws is wood screws right? :)

Hardware store screws are not equivalent to aircraft structural screws. Standard aircraft screws are not equivalent to structural aircraft screws.
Then go here http://www.aircraftspruce.com and order the correct part number from the aircraft IPC.

Alllllllllrighteeeey then.

Since I earned my AnP working on helicopters I can't say I was intimately familiar with cherokee gas tank screws.

After a little googling, it looks like you need a screw that is 120 ksi for that application.

Back