Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
what is this tag?

Attachments

• 20170306_110537.jpg
    20170306_110537.jpg
    154.6 KB · Views: 195
if you yellow tag it or return it to service and it is the correct part # for the use yes

Well let's examine the tag. "Used Part for identification Only"
So you can identify it using the tag but no, you cannot use the part because the FAA hasn't approved it since you can't prove it came out of a certified aircraft just by the tag. If it is free then you absolutely CANNOT use that part. You must spend five times what you think the part is worth in order to use it and even then, you must get approval from your mechanic, the FSDO and your medical professional. And then the part must be installed by a certified professional and the installation must be documented using a whole page of your aircraft log book, explaining in detail exactly from where the part was obtained (including the bauxite mine the aluminum came from) all the way through manufacturing and installation.

So you can identify it using the tag but no, you cannot use the part because the FAA hasn't approved it since you can't prove it came out of a certified aircraft just by the tag. If it is free then you absolutely CANNOT use that part. You must spend five times what you think the part is worth in order to use it and even then, you must get approval from your mechanic, the FSDO and your medical professional. And then the part must be installed by a certified professional and the installation must be documented using a whole page of your aircraft log book, explaining in detail exactly from where the part was obtained (including the bauxite mine the aluminum came from) all the way through manufacturing and installation.
yer funny

if you yellow tag it or return it to service and it is the correct part # for the use yes
I am the Mechanic,,,why do I have to yellow tag it ? when I'm going to use it?

So you can identify it using the tag but no, you cannot use the part because the FAA hasn't approved it since you can't prove it came out of a certified aircraft just by the tag.
read the top of the tag again

Aannddd....you need the blood type of the mechanic that removed it, conformation that all the wires that touched it before and all the wires that are going to touch in the future are certified, and .....
I want to be frank but he won't let me so I'll answer the question-it's your airplane and the part is on the airplane parts list so you can use it. Keep in mind that it doesn't even have to work for the FAA to say it is OK to use but I would check it before I installed it to make sure.

read the top of the tag again

I did and it doesn't change a thing about my suggestion. Follow up question: If you're already going to use the part as you suggested in post #6 then why bother asking the peanut gallery?

It don't need no stink'n tag.....have your mechanic inspect the part.

Base on what I see, that is inadequate traceability. If there is a certifying individual and agency also on the tag and the properly certificated installer approves the item, it's good to go.

Base on what I see, that is inadequate traceability. If there is a certifying individual and agency also on the tag and the properly certificated installer approves the item, it's good to go.

Why do you need traceability?

It's a measure to prevent bogus parts from entering the supply chain.

So you don't need it then? Or are you just saying as a mechanic you'd require it to use said part?

It's a measure to prevent bogus parts from entering the supply chain.

But it's not actually required. An A&P is, of course, free to refuse to install a part without sufficient traceability, BUT the A&P is also free to use his/her judgment and discretion to determine that the part is appropriate and OK to install.

So you don't need it then? Or are you just saying as a mechanic you'd require it to use said part?
Traceability relieves the A&P of some responsibility for the part.

For example: If the part is a good counterfeit, yet fabricated of substandard components, how's the A&P to know, and why should he assume full responsibility?

For those who said traceability, and the Installer declares airworthiness.

You got it right.

OBTW the salvage yard's logo was on the front.

For example: If the part is a good counterfeit, yet fabricated of substandard components, how's the A&P to know, and why should he assume full responsibility?
At least, the tag shows it came from a certified aircraft in a salvage yard, but we don't know if was a legal part when it was placed in service. but it has all the stampings it should have. so we be good to go.

by the markings....and condition. Paper is not needed unless it's a life limited part. ;)

Tom....when yer all done but the wiping with installing that widget....whatcha doin with that paper?

He'll use the back side for yet another question he already knows the answer to. ;)
I know a lot of you don't like Tom, but when he asks questions that he already knows the answer to, I feel he is trying to share his knowledge. Yeah, maybe there is a bit of bragging involved, but isn't one of the best things about POA the abundance of shared knowledge?

Or perhaps you like infinite AoA and Cole Slaw jokes better.

Agreed, I just wanted clarification for what you were meaning. At least with some paperwork accompanying the part there might be a reasonable justification on why a mechanic installed said part beyond just the mechanic thinking it was the right one and acceptable for use.

It amazes me what some owners come up for with for parts and expect mechanics to install and sign off on. It is easy to see why some mechanics refuse to do anything with owner supplied parts or used parts, in an attempt to limit their liability.

I was making a joke John. Truth is, I like Tom. I'd like to buy him a beer and listen to his stories, same as Glenn but not in the same room because it would become a penis measuring contest for sure. Unlike Tom, I ask questions because I'm an idiot, not because I want to increase anyone's knowledge. I think we can agree that the line is blurred as to what he's asking sometimes.

I know a lot of you don't like Tom, but when he asks questions that he already knows the answer to, I feel he is trying to share his knowledge. Yeah, maybe there is a bit of bragging involved, but isn't one of the best things about POA the abundance of shared knowledge?

Or perhaps you like infinite AoA and Cole Slaw jokes better.

I've always felt these questions were Tom's method of trying to educate owners and other mechanics. Basically, make people think and research a little on their own.

Unfortunately, sometimes the correct answer is never reached or is covered up by the other garbage in the thread or the common misconceptions people have regarding maintenance and inspections.

Agreed, I just wanted clarification for what you were meaning. At least with some paperwork accompanying the part there might be a reasonable justification on why a mechanic installed said part beyond just the mechanic thinking it was the right one and acceptable for use.

It amazes me what some owners come up for with for parts and expect mechanics to install and sign off on. It is easy to see why some mechanics refuse to do anything with owner supplied parts or used parts, in an attempt to limit their liability.
Mostly it's simply a trained eye. tells us, "that ain't right". Owner provided parts are not exempt from traceability.

I've always felt these questions were Tom's method of trying to educate owners and other mechanics. Basically, make people think and research a little on their own.

That is my hope

OK, my research tells me that it's a socket for a navigation light.

If it fits and isn't corroded to ****, yea. Who cares. Use it.

I was making a joke John. Truth is, I like Tom. I'd like to buy him a beer and listen to his stories, same as Glenn but not in the same room because it would become a penis measuring contest for sure. Unlike Tom, I ask questions because I'm an idiot, not because I want to increase anyone's knowledge. I think we can agree that the line is blurred as to what he's asking sometimes.
I believe that if all three of us were to belly up to the bar at the Chief's club we would find a lot of common ground.
PLUS
we all have different back grounds and could teach each other a lot.

Back