Camper Van

coloradobluesky

En-Route
Gone West
Display Name

Display name:
coloradobluesky
I owned a 1985 Chevy G20 van that had a sofa bed in back and all the trimmings. I didnt go in for the cabinetry, stove or sink, I just had a coleman, ice box and box for food. It worked great. Pull into a campground, put the folding seat in back down into a bed, throw my sleeping bag on it and hey, I'm camping!

So now, some 32 years later, I wanna do it again. Suggestions? My budget is 30k.

Can you even find someone to convert these smaller vans?

Last edited:
How about a pop up camper. tow it with your current vehicle, no insurance required, little maintenance required, and have a small vehicle to get around in when the camp is setup.

Alternatively there are many smallish van campers available; look on ebay.

Pop up is a good idea. There a lot of small RV's out there if you do the search. Used 2001 model $32,000
59a4b3fb1b6830384b29eeef.jpg

I dont want a trailer or a pickup camper. Although I do recognize that would work. I want a G20 or similar sized small van (fairly new, less than 2 years old) and a couch/bed in back and the trimmings. Dont need popup. Dont want floorboards. Dont want 4wd but want the clearance of a G20 (they do ok on easy offroad stuff, which is good. Lots of pulloffs for camping on these dirt roads in the west)

Really to do what I want I need a custom conversion. That way I get what I want.

Last edited:
Is a class B motorhome such as a Roadtrek too big for you? Is a VW Westfalia too small?

I dont want a trailer or a pickup camper. Although I do recognize that would work. I want a G20 or similar sized small van (fairly new, less than 2 years old) and a couch/bed in back and the trimmings.

Given those parameters, you're going to have to roll your own. A two year old cargo van will be at least $20,000, and a two year old Roadtrek will probably be more than $50,000.

I'd agree you'll probably have to build your own within your price range. I'd go with a Ford Transit. We rented one last year at Christmas and I was surprised how much I liked it. Comfortable (and you can add super comfy seats if you want), drives well, good mileage and surprisingly decent on acceleration and handling. Nothing fancy but does the job. Can easily buy a used one (van itself) for well under your budget, leaving plenty of room to customize it as needed. I also know some people who've bought Sprinter vans for the same purpose and enjoyed them, but I've never driven one.

Alternately, if you're willing to go a bit older than the <2 years, I would agree with trying to find a used Class C, or even a Class A potentially. They tend to depreciate a lot faster than they rack up miles. But storage of them when you're not using them can be harder.

I'd be looking at a used motorhome. You can find tons of them for $20K that have relatively low mileage and will be better suited than a glorified cargo van or pop-up trailer. I bet you could find some good Class A 35' from the early '00s for $20K. Motorhomes are one of the worst toys as far as depreciation is concerned. Just my .02.

Find you a Chevrolet Avalanche and throw a mattress in the back. Then you can sleep in Air conditioned comfort.

You could find a VW Eurovan or a Chevrolet Conversion van fairly new in your price range but you aren't going to find anything two years old for 30k.

The thing is, if you have a bit of clearance (no need for 4wd), you can camp for free on pulloffs of small roads if its BLM or Forest Service land, which there is TONS of. Neg on a trailer is you have to tow it and turning it around is sometimes not possible. A pickup with a camper would work, but you cant have a passenger go back and sleep or make a sandwich, the living is seperated from the driving in the both the trailer and pickup camper (i dont crawl through windows). A van is just right. But I want the small V8. VW's are underpowered and TOO small (I owned one of those too eons ago).

I saw these at Oshkosh. I'm considering it... http://www.aspenqualitytrailers.com/

[Edit] The OP asked for Vans and I told him a trailer. That's true to form here. Usually the question is "Cessna or Piper" and the answer is "Beech,"

Last edited:
I too have serious desire for a camper adventure van...and yeah, there is huge operational and perception difference vs a truck cab over or RV. Most of those are deigned to roll across pavement to a RV park and set up camp with hookups, not operate off grid on a whim without sticking out like a sore thumb.

There is a HUGH boom going on right now with camper van conversions. Class B size rigs are huge in Europe and starting to catch on here in the US. To have someone build it start by doubling your budget.

A full rig done right is gonna run you easily $100k to have built.

Search youtube for "Camper Van" "Van Life" and "Van Conversion" ...everyone and their mother is posting video on their conversions and set up along with their build process, many doing it with zero experience. There are some pretty sweet rigs out there that have been done on low budgets.

Get a Ford Transit Connect and do your own thing with it. <$20k for a newer one and you can stand up in it.

Ever thought about a tear drop trailer? I borrowed one to take my wife camping. She won't sleep under the stars or in a tent, and she loved the teardrop. Especially since I did the cooking. Only other thing she wanted was a bathroom.

http://americanteardrop.com/index.htm

Definitely understand the reasons for a van. That said, a small Class C or even a super-small Class A could still give you a lot more in your price range if you can forego the within 2 year requirement. Here's one that looks like it'd work nicely:

https://kansascity.craigslist.org/rvs/d/2002-vision-trail-lite-241/6225276285.html

At 25', it won't be a lot longer than the van.

But I think you'll probably be best just buying a used van and going from there given what you want. So "Cessna or Piper?" answer: "Whatever you want." :)

It appears that no one I can find will do a van conversion with the smaller 1/2 ton or even 3/4 ton traditional cargo style vans. That astounds me! They used to be very popular because the worked! Small enough to do errands around town, easy to park, big enough for one or two to camp in, enough clearance to negotiate easy off road roads, less expensive. I havent given up, and I suspect I can find someone to do it, somewhere.

It appears that no one I can find will do a van conversion with the smaller 1/2 ton or even 3/4 ton traditional cargo style vans. That astounds me! They used to be very popular because the worked! Small enough to do errands around town, easy to park, big enough for one or two to camp in, enough clearance to negotiate easy off road roads, less expensive. I havent given up, and I suspect I can find someone to do it, somewhere.

Most of the conversion vans of yore were set up for traveling in rather than sleeping in. As @Bill Jennings said, you can find a class B RV, which is meant for a couple to sleep in, but at a pretty high price point. You can get a Class C RV for less money. It's more annoying to drive but much nicer to live in.

We have family with a conversion van. Their biggest complaint is the conversion lowers them and they have ground clearance issues all the time. It also messes with the front steering geometry something fierce. It drives like crap. I wouldn't buy one.

I'm in the Ford Transit crowd -- know a number of people who've used them for both business and pleasure and they're a pretty solid little rolling box. Downside is, watch what you do in it for weight -- they do not have very good GVWR numbers. Which will lead to wearing out suspension and steering and similar drivability problems of the larger conversions.

Tiger Vehicles, the best on the market.

fc6226252b803bc1b3b40f53f544ef4a.jpg

I want a stock CARGO van, Ford or Chevy or similar. 300 cu in V8. No lowering. Velour walls and ceiling. Id like an extra couple of lights. Cabinet, stove and refrigerator that runs on 12V. One fold down couch. Two captains chairs. Stock heat and air. Be able to sleep in it comfortably, drive on the highway at the speed limit up the Eisenhower grade. Drive up the sideroad that isnt plowed that you dont need 4wd to drive on. 4wd would be nice but not practical in Van. I dont want a high lift. That makes the tippy on the highway. Nothing big. Nothing low. Just stock Chevy G20 or G30 Van finished nicely inside. SOMEONE must make them!

Tiger Vehicles, the best on the market.

fc6226252b803bc1b3b40f53f544ef4a.jpg

Put some real tires and a suspension lift on that thing and then it would be hard to argue against. Dual rear axle for stability and it could possibly survive the Alpaca Lips.

I want a stock CARGO van, Ford or Chevy or similar. 300 cu in V8. No lowering. Velour walls and ceiling. Id like an extra couple of lights. Cabinet, stove and refrigerator that runs on 12V. One fold down couch. Two captains chairs. Stock heat and air. Be able to sleep in it comfortably, drive on the highway at the speed limit up the Eisenhower grade. Drive up the sideroad that isnt plowed that you dont need 4wd to drive on. 4wd would be nice but not practical in Van. I dont want a high lift. That makes the tippy on the highway. Nothing big. Nothing low. Just stock Chevy G20 or G30 Van finished nicely inside. SOMEONE must make them!
There are companies that make them, but for 30k and 2 years or less of age? Good luck IMO.

Some good info. The wife and I just started knocking around the idea of a small camper. It is just the two of us and the dog so we don't need much room.

Put some real tires and a suspension lift on that thing and then it would be hard to argue against. Dual rear axle for stability and it could possibly survive the Alpaca Lips.
I'm sure they could do it. They're pretty rugged machines.

I think that's going to be hard to find., the market has passed the stage where something like that would be popular. When you add the cost of a new van, then the interior you'd want, you' probably be north of $60,000 for a basic unit, and that buys a lot of used motorhome. Back when there weren't so many used items available, there was a market for lower priced RVs. Now people just buy used. Same thing happens in developing markets with cars. Once the market develops enough to where good used cars become common, the market for bare bones new cars drops off.

If you're up for it, that would make an interesting DIY project. Between the RV and marine worlds, you should be able to find the pieces you need.

IF you really want economy :)

images

Although from the side it looks like someone backed into a giants nutz.

images

Shockingly roomy though.
and this is without the rear seat down.

priusrelaxcabinPHV06.JPG

4906.jpg

Toyota-RV2-kempervan-kotorogo-ne-byilo-i-Prius-RV-kotorogo-mozhet-i-ne-byit---17.jpg

And then there is this for a van...
images

IF you really want economy :)

images

Although from the side it looks like someone backed into a giants nutz.

images

Shockingly roomy though.
and this is without the rear seat down.

priusrelaxcabinPHV06.JPG

4906.jpg

Toyota-RV2-kempervan-kotorogo-ne-byilo-i-Prius-RV-kotorogo-mozhet-i-ne-byit---17.jpg

Is (was) that a Prius?

Edit: if you Google the 100 BAROHOB in the lower right, it brings up pages that look to be Russian (I am not an expert, but that is my guess).

Disregard the budget. Go big or go home!
https://earthroamer.com

Bill S, the founder of that company, was my neighbor in our younger days in our condo. We got to watch him build and test the early prototypes.

If I had money to burn, I wouldn't hesitate to buy one of his trucks. He's meticulous and driven almost to a fault, and really loves building those things and building a community around them.

That company is a solid example of someone taking their passion for something and turning it into a success over MANY years of hard work.

Back