Called a "pan pan" yesterday

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
I took up a CAP scanner trainee to try to finish his training. I'd worked out a nice scenario with a real, verified historical wreck in the search area, challenging him to find it.

Crossing the San Jose extended centerline, the oil pressure gauge started fluctuating, barely perceptibly. A few minutes later, over Anderson Reservoir, it was noticeably larger, still in the "green." There were no other indications of problems; all temperatures were nominal, engine was making normal power and was not rough. But the indication had obviously worsened, so we called a return to base and turned around. We were "pretty sure" it was an indication problem, as opposed to a real mechanical problem, but that's really not enough.

A few minutes later, it started to dip below minimum. So, I diverted to the nearest airport and declared a "pan pan." Still no other indication of anything wrong, but oil pressure is a big warning, so I was making a precautionary landing, and didn't want to spend any more time than necessary in the pattern over a busy urban airport without many emergency landing sites. Reid Tower cleared me straight in for 31L. I approached a little faster than normal to avoid needing to increase power over the mall on final (that's when rods get thrown, if the oil pressure really is low), and delayed flap deployment. I hit the final notch on short final and landed normally, with the engine still working normally aside from the wacky oil pressure indication. I taxied to transient and attempted unsuccessfully to find a local mechanic on a Sunday.

The mechanic checked it out this morning, and there is definitely a problem with the pressure transducer -- it reads 2 PSI with the engine off. No word yet if there is anything worse, but it seems rather unlikely.

So, we had an inconvenience, but really not a whole lot more than that. The scanner trainee will have to try to find another sortie, and I'll help him out (I can't do it myself due to jury duty); I think we've found him an alternative. And a backup if that doesn't work.

Oh, and the paperwork for declaring an emergency? Airport ops drove by as we were tying down and asked where we originated from. I told him Palo Alto and he said "thanks" and drove off. That's it. He didn't even ask for my name. Tower had previously asked what the issue was, and if I needed "assistance." The answers were "oil pressure indication" and "not at this time."

Last edited:
Better a transducer than a pump. Good piloting.
No kidding.

The oil pump was exactly what I was thinking about when I called it. I couldn't know for sure it was good, and that the pickup was leak-free. And if the pump ever failed completely, the engine wouldn't be far behind it.

Tower had previously asked what the issue was, and if I needed "assistance." The answers were "oil pressure indication" and "not at this time."
Interesting wording. The one time I had a low volt/discharge indication on crosswind and requested for a return to the airport, tower asked if I needed "services" rather than "assistance". (I said "Negative services, just a heads up that I might be NORDO soon")

Good call.

On the three or so times I've declared, no written report or any further action was required.

One should never hesitate to declare an emergency. And certainly not because of some unwarranted fear of paperwork. If in doubt, shout it out!

Glad it all worked out. I had a similar scare in my Arrow a couple years ago. Traced it down to a possible carbon deposit lodging in the oil pressure relief valve. Possible. Mechanic said 'watch it and observe.'

Watched and observed. It took a while to get comfortable with long flights in the airplane.

Good call.

Odd ball pressures with good temps, to me that's a land as soon as practical, glad it was just a wonky instrument error.

Good job, glad it worked out.

Reminds me of my impromptu landing in the Hamptons six years ago. Same thing, except the oil pressure indicator on the G1000 MFD started fluctuating and then started dipping into the RED! Temps were good, engine was running smooth, no other issues. I was already receiving flight following from Providence Approach and East Hampton airport (HTO) was practically right below me, so I just told the controller that I'd be making a precautionary landing there, due to a low oil pressure indicator. Controller asked if I needed any assistance. I said... "not at this time".

In hindsight, I should have asked for the CTAF frequency, because the G1000 was new to me and I wound up tuning the wrong frequency. All of my radio calls were on the wrong channel! Fortunately, the airport was really quiet that weekend and I managed to get in without incident.

Sounds familiar. I got into the red as well. That's what I meant by "below minimum." It didn't stay there, though. Below the green is abnormal, but not below minimum.

I took up a CAP scanner trainee to try to finish his training. I'd worked out a nice scenario with a real, verified historical wreck in the search area, challenging him to find it.

Crossing the San Jose extended centerline, the oil pressure gauge started fluctuating, barely perceptibly. A few minutes later, over Anderson Reservoir, it was noticeably larger, still in the "green." There were no other indications of problems; all temperatures were nominal, engine was making normal power and was not rough. But the indication had obviously worsened, so we called a return to base and turned around. We were "pretty sure" it was an indication problem, as opposed to a real mechanical problem, but that's really not enough.

A few minutes later, it started to dip below minimum. So, I diverted to the nearest airport and declared a "pan pan." Still no other indication of anything wrong, but oil pressure is a big warning, so I was making a precautionary landing, and didn't want to spend any more time than necessary in the pattern over a busy urban airport without many emergency landing sites. Reid Tower cleared me straight in for 31L. I approached a little faster than normal to avoid needing to increase power over the mall on final (that's when rods get thrown, if the oil pressure really is low), and delayed flap deployment. I hit the final notch on short final and landed normally, with the engine still working normally aside from the wacky oil pressure indication. I taxied to transient and attempted unsuccessfully to find a local mechanic on a Sunday.

The mechanic checked it out this morning, and there is definitely a problem with the pressure transducer -- it reads 2 PSI with the engine off. No word yet if there is anything worse, but it seems rather unlikely.

So, we had an inconvenience, but really not a whole lot more than that. The scanner trainee will have to try to find another sortie, and I'll help him out (I can't do it myself due to jury duty); I think we've found him an alternative. And a backup if that doesn't work.

Oh, and the paperwork for declaring an emergency? Airport ops drove by as we were tying down and asked where we originated from. I told him Palo Alto and he said "thanks" and drove off. That's it. He didn't even ask for my name. Tower had previously asked what the issue was, and if I needed "assistance." The answers were "oil pressure indication" and "not at this time."

"A pilot who encounters a Distress condition should declare an emergency by beginning the initial communication with the word "Mayday," preferably repeated three times. For an Urgency condition, the word "Pan-Pan" should be used in the same manner."

Last edited:
"A pilot who encounters a Distress condition should declare an emergency by beginning the initial communication with the word "Mayday," preferably repeated three times. For an Urgency condition, the word "Pan-Pan" should be used in the same manner."
True, but I don't think either of our situations warranted a Mayday call since there were no other indications of "distress". Urgency for sure. In which case, MAKG1 correctly made the appropriate radio call, IMO.

I, on the other hand, (having just returned to the cockpit after a ten year hiatus) was still a bit rusty. Also, with very little radio traffic, I didn't think I'd have an issue getting the full attention of the approach controller when keying the mic. I should have made the pan-pan call though.

Thanks.

If I ever knew there was a difference, I had long forgotten.

Glad it all worked out.

Flakey oil pressure indication has never happened with the 49 year old bourdon tube oil pressure gauge in my airplane lol. I have even verified accuracy with a calibrated differential cylinder tester recently.

Glad it all worked out.

Flakey oil pressure indication has never happened with the 49 year old bourdon tube oil pressure gauge in my airplane lol. I have even verified accuracy with a calibrated differential cylinder tester recently.
I know....

The G1000 aircraft was at hand, so that's what I took. Electrical everything, and it's not the first bad reading I've had. I grounded it once 'cause the EGT reading for #2 was missing at run-up.

Glad it was a non-event. And thank you for posting.
Hopefully this will remind everyone to do systems check every so often in boring cruise. I got into the habit and assume that it could save my hiney one day.

I did the same thing not too long ago. I took off of Austin Bergstrom in an Archer, noticed the fuel pressure gauge was waving back and forth like a windshield wiper on high.

A voice in my head said 'it's just the instrument, keep going'. But sanity prevailed and I told the departure controller 'I have a pan-pan situation due to fluctuating fuel pressure, I need to return to the airport as soon as possible'.

He cleared me to go back to tower, which cleared me to land.

By the way, no phone calls, no sky cops at the hanger, no insurance detectives. Nobody cared. I filed a NASA report as I always do when anything out of the ordinary occurs, but of course nobody cared.

True, but I don't think either of our situations warranted a Mayday call since there were no other indications of "distress". Urgency for sure. In which case, MAKG1 correctly made the appropriate radio call, IMO.

I, on the other hand, (having just returned to the cockpit after a ten year hiatus) was still a bit rusty. Also, with very little radio traffic, I didn't think I'd have an issue getting the full attention of the approach controller when keying the mic. I should have made the pan-pan call though.
I'm under the impression that ATC treats both "mayday mayday mayday" and "pan pan pan" as emergency declarations and handles them as such. I also think they're both primarily used to get the attention of ATC on a busy frequency or when you're not already in contact with them. If I was on flight following and started getting oil pressure indications like that I probably would have gone with "Approach, Cessna 123 declaring an emergency".

I'm under the impression that ATC treats both "mayday mayday mayday" and "pan pan pan" as emergency declarations and handles them as such.
That would make sense, since the Pilot/Controller Glossary defines both distress and urgency conditions as emergencies.

I was somewhat surprised to learn that Cessna wants over $400 for a new oil pressure sensor for that airplane.

I was somewhat surprised to learn that Cessna wants over $400 for a new oil pressure sensor for that airplane.
I wasn't. That's in the same neighborhood as the #2 EGT probe from a few months ago

That's the cost of single-sourcing.

Unfortunately, A TOMATO FLAMES means we have to pay it. Or, more accurately, NHQ does. Not that I'd really want to fly without a good oil pressure gauge.

BUT, NHQ may have a special deal. They seldom accept MX parts quotes.

What model? 172R? I had an oil pressure gauge problem in one of those.

I'm under the impression that ATC treats both "mayday mayday mayday" and "pan pan pan" as emergency declarations and handles them as such. I also think they're both primarily used to get the attention of ATC on a busy frequency or when you're not already in contact with them. If I was on flight following and started getting oil pressure indications like that I probably would have gone with "Approach, Cessna 123 declaring an emergency".
Agreed. That's what I meant to say. I should have declared an emergency prior to just telling the controller of my issue and intentions. I've never had any qualms about declaring or exercising my PIC emergency authority, I was just rusty. Fortunately, not so rusty as to ignore the engine instruments in cruise, like I used to do as a student :eek:

Back