Bye bye

Can I ignore a Mod?
I don't think the software will allow it (at least the old software wouldn't, don't know about this software), but you can certainly skip over reading my posts. However, you are still subject to warnings, etc. if you violate the ROC.

I am certain that the person reporting the post didn't feel that he was being bullied or that it hurt his feelings. He reported it as being inappropriate, even for a joke thread and we (yes it was "we") agreed.

You read something into my response. I never said they did. You were the one who brought up "cool kids" and bullying. Not I. I simply responded to it.

I said they hid behind a button to take care of their problem. They saved the world from a bad joke. Hoorah.

My point isn't about the mods, it's about the cowards behind the button. I could care less if the mods agree with them. They're still cowards.

I also said your measurement of success in "middle ground" was flawed mathematically.

More complaints simply means you've attracted more complainers who enjoy anonymity and having someone else do their dirty work.

More cowards, more button presses. They're rewarded for pressing the button.

Can teach any chicken to play tic tac toe when the pellet comes down the chute every time they peck the sensor.

I don't think the software will allow it (at least the old software wouldn't, don't know about this software), but you can certainly skip over reading my posts. However, you are still subject to warnings, etc. if you violate the ROC.
I see what you did there. . . just not sure YOU see what you did there. . .

I think I read this in a sci-fi story, maybe - a fictional quote over a fictional courthouse somewhere else? It sais:

"It is a crime to offend others. It is also a crime to be too easily offended"

If I recall, the author said that would never work for humans. . .

My point isn't about the mods, it's about the cowards behind the button. I could care less if the mods agree with them. They're still cowards.

I also said your measurement of success in "middle ground" was flawed mathematically.

More complaints simply means you've attracted more complainers who enjoy anonymity and having someone else do their dirty work.

More cowards, more button presses. They're rewarded for pressing the button.

Can teach any chicken to play tic tac toe when the pellet comes down the chute every time they peck the sensor.
Actually, you can blame the mods for deleting the post. The reporter simply pointed it out. You have no idea about the number of reports, and how many we act on or reject. The reporters sometimes know, because we try to send a resolution alert telling them if their report was acted on or rejected. That's something fairly new because we thought reporters should get some feedback. We also just noticed that feature in the software. :redface:

I have been watching all of this for months now. It is the same on every forum I decide to follow. The knowlegable ones on a particular subject also seem to be the ones that also may cross the line every once in a while. Maybe the two go hand in hand. It also seems to be a small minority, very small who run to the mods for whatever reason. I get the guiding council has a vision of what they may want this forum to be, but it has changed from what attracted me to it in the first place. Of course that is their right, and the rules and all are posted for all to see. It is just I get attracted to a forum, enjoy the knowledge on flying and also the interaction of all the posters, then a minority of people complain over something or other and the edge is taken out. Too bad. Granted, I don't post much, only when I have a question or if maybe I can add to the topic, but I check in and read several times a day. It is not a problem to ignore or skip posts that are not interesting or that may be in your bad taste. To each his own, it is a wide world. But I will say so many other forums have been reduced to a handful of people posting, a clique if you will, and most of it is not very interesting or informative. This one appears to be heading the same way. Nothing wrong with that I suppose, if it is what is desired. While there are still several interesting posters here, there are far more who are no longer posting. And from my viewpoint that is too bad. Nothing is rainbows and unicorns all the time, it is the jousting that makes it fun. I have no dog in this fight, just hate to see a sight I have been enjoying the last couple of years be not so enjoyable. Se la vey, or however it is said!

The feedback we have gotten from some who have left disliked the politics, the argumentativeness, and the locker room talk. We have tried to deal with those things. Of course that displeases others, but as has been said, you can't please everyone. We have decided on this direction, however.

Does anybody know what this Tower is? I passed by it on my way to work every day and I've always wondered.

View attachment 54113

That looks like an old AT&T cross county microwave tower. There was a lot of copper on one of those things. They were stripped down a number of years ago and the feed horns and hard lines were scrapped out. The towers were auctioned off a surplus and were repurposed for other radio services. Along with the country trunking system and a few other systems, we have our 2M repeater antenna mounted on one of those.

We need @mscard88 to post his 'beating a dead horse' animated gif.
54941606.Beating_a_dead_horse.gif

Weird. When I report a mod it gets rejected. When someone reports me my post gets insta-deleted.
You may think that's true but it's not. Some of your posts have gotten reports that have been rejected by the MC, and nothing was done. You are only aware of the ones we took action on.

Your going about it all wrong. Instead of a spin zone, request a cupcake/snowflake zone that is moderated and protected. Gives the mods less to do and makes the cupcakes/snowflakes feel more special because they get the special treatment they have grown to expect.
POA's board, POA's rules. Usually the special snowflake is the one who believes the rules don't apply to them.

Oh give me a break.

Some coward reporting a JOKE in a joke thread isn't hiding from a bully who's going to slam them into a locker.

I bet if the forum software always put a placeholder into every removed post (some places do that for openness) that contained two things...

1. That the post was deleted.
2. Which user complained to start the deletion.

We'd see a clear pattern of "bullying".

And it wouldn't be by those who don't hide behind the button on a *discussion* forum and cling to the mods leg while hiding behind them.

That sounds like the “Hall Monitor” aka “Bell Ringer” over on the Red Board and I never understood that reasoning. If one is passionate enough to report a post or thread then own it (by either your user name or real name) and defend your objection rather than hide behind a wall of anonymity*.

*A reasonable exception can be made for a post that poses a danger to life, limb, or property.

DenverPilot,

In 10 years here, I've posted a handful of times per year but only once have clicked the "report" button. Last week. It was when someone made the comment that In a picture of a helicopter with a young lady, that it looked like someone had altered her appearance... with a rake.

Are you suggesting that I would have been less of a coward (in DenverPilots eyes, hehe) if instead I would have engaged in an Internet ****ing match (which is usually won by those who can type the most) explaining to the guy that those types of "jokes" really aren't funny?

If so - fine. I'm a coward.

Tim

Really? In 10 years, T H A T 's what u reported? I'm even more baffled now than when it first happened.

LOL. Was thinking the same thing. It was a weird comment but it wasn't particularly harmful to anyone.

Actually, you can blame the mods for deleting the post. The reporter simply pointed it out. You have no idea about the number of reports, and how many we act on or reject. The reporters sometimes know, because we try to send a resolution alert telling them if their report was acted on or rejected. That's something fairly new because we thought reporters should get some feedback. We also just noticed that feature in the software. :redface:

Nah, I blame the majority of the sea change here directly on the cowards who needed the mods to behave the way they like to do. Not the mods.

They're clearly the people who ran off 1/3 of the active posters. Not the mods. Mods are just the cops on the beat, not the politicians who crusade for silly laws.

That's clearly in the realm of the people who report others instead of just saying, "Why would you say that?"

The feedback we have gotten from some who have left disliked the politics, the argumentativeness, and the locker room talk. We have tried to deal with those things. Of course that displeases others, but as has been said, you can't please everyone. We have decided on this direction, however.

You also had a lot of feedback from folks who said the opposite and actually made it a rule it was not allowed to be discussed.

And I ignore that rule. Ban me. I don't care.

LOL, you know you just did an hour or two ago.

That's funny.

Mark needs to come back just to read the nonsense he started lol

Really? In 10 years, T H A T 's what u reported? I'm even more baffled now than when it first happened.

Yep.

Though Id prefer that it doesn't have a place here, I'll ignore the juvenile behavior, political rantings, etc. It seems that the current mix of participants enjoys that. But the way that comment read made light of violence towards women. I'm a father of two girls, a husband, a brother and a son- and I don't ever find that funny.

So yep - that's what I reported.

I was at the airport today towing gliders. I had some good conversations with pilots, some of whom had political leanings much different than my own. However, even in person and in a small group, they all were able to conduct themselves with class. I'm not sure why people can't do that here.

Tim

Call it the Locker Room Banter.
Or "Pilot Spin."

Land's sake, POA isn't the only aviation forum on the Internet. Their boards, their rules. If you don't like it, take your custom elsewhere or start your own. It's not like you get charged every time you come by.

Back when I was DJ'ing, a guy on another shift was a tad controversial. If a caller kept pestering him about something, he'd tell them, "Your radio has two knobs. One to change the station, and one to turn it off. If the first doesn't help, I suggest you try the other."

Ron Wanttaja

You may think that's true but it's not. Some of your posts have gotten reports that have been rejected by the MC, and nothing was done. You are only aware of the ones we took action on.

actually I'm not, it's just a shame how cowardly and snowflaky people are.

You also had a lot of feedback from folks who said the opposite and actually made it a rule it was not allowed to be discussed.
What is not allowed to be discussed? We are discussing it now. When we say bans and warnings are not to be discussed, we mean speculation about why so and so was banned when they are not around to defend themselves. We can discuss moderation, and we are. Now I need to go get ready so I can make it to the POA get-together on time.

What is not allowed to be discussed? We are discussing it now. When we say bans and warnings are not to be discussed, we mean speculation about why so and so was banned when they are not around to defend themselves. We can discuss moderation, and we are. Now I need to go get ready so I can make it to the POA get-together on time.

It was a rule that the removal of SZ was not to be discussed. I've always ignored that rule.

We're also on our way! Only the cool kids go to the gatherings of course!

That looks like an old AT&T cross county microwave tower. There was a lot of copper on one of those things. They were stripped down a number of years ago and the feed horns and hard lines were scrapped out. The towers were auctioned off a surplus and were repurposed for other radio services. Along with the country trunking system and a few other systems, we have our 2M repeater antenna mounted on one of those.

Thank you.

You have no idea about the number of reports, and how many we act on or reject.

Unless you report on a certain female MOD who routinely discusses your reports. Which are anonymous if they regard anyone but her.

Just ask me how I know.

No. It's not possible. Is that an option available in the software?

Moderating is one of the hardest jobs there is. You will never please everyone.
I think they do a pretty good job overall.
It's consistency that I want. I won't get into details, but let's just say I've been reprimanded for some very minor stuff that is commonplace from many of the longer term members.
Again, I won't give details, as it's over and done long ago.... but it was majorly inconsistent.

I will say this is one of the most lenient message boards I have seen. I have been on some that unless you agree with everyone you get points. "I respectfully don't understand your opinion" will get you half way to a 10 day vacation for being arguementitive.

This board is easy. This entire thread would not stand on most other boards.

If it weren't for azzholes there would be no need for moderation.

And in this case...

Bye bye.

Last edited:
I object to your preemptive objection.
:eek:
Hey now, just you wait on dadburn minute.

I strenuously object to your objection to my preemptive objection.

(Notice the use of dadburn rather than the more "offensive" alternative?) :)

Back