Bye bye

Man, that must have been one hell of a joke!

The participants on this board are all adults who do not need to be protected from off-color jokes. Those who aren't adult enough to ignore them should find other fora that suit their taste. IMO, there is one moderator who appears waiting to pounce on one individual with whom she disagrees. No criticism, just an observation.

Or maybe its a few members who are trying to troll a particular moderator into reacting by posting content they know to be over the line ?

Meh

e94sv.jpg

I wouldn't want to be in the cockpit with anyone so mentally/emotionally frail that the Internet caused them so much mental distress that they had to ban and block people they simply didn't agree with. Just one mans opinion

The participants on this board are all adults who do not need to be protected from off-color jokes. Those who aren't adult enough to ignore them should find other fora that suit their taste. IMO, there is one moderator who appears waiting to pounce on one individual with whom she disagrees. No criticism, just an observation.
Is there an age restriction here? I know I've seen 14 year olds on here.

As a general rule, I try not to write anything on the internet that I'd be embarrassed to have my one day 10 year old (he's 2 now) read. This is pilots of America, not dirty joke tellers of America.

Personally I like having a moderated board as it keeps the signal to noise ratio high. My experience has been that there used to be a lot of pot stirrers and trolls that left POA in its entirety after spin zone left and the place is better for it, IMO.

I don't really know much about who the OP is, other than he's been around for two years and managed to make more than 10k posts. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Meh

e94sv.jpg

I wouldn't want to be in the cockpit with anyone so mentally/emotionally frail that the Internet caused them so much mental distress that they had to ban and block people they simply didn't agree with. Just one mans opinion

What a witty meme you have there!

By using this site, you agree to the sites terms of service. It says right in the first paragraph:

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

The mods administer a rule you agreed to when you signed up. Has nothing to do with anyone feeling 'hurt'.

Is there an age restriction here? I know I've seen 14 year olds on here.

As a general rule, I try not to write anything on the internet that I'd be embarrassed to have my one day 10 year old (he's 2 now) read. This is pilots of America, not dirty joke tellers of America.

Personally I like having a moderated board as it keeps the signal to noise ratio high. My experience has been that there used to be a lot of pot stirrers and trolls that left POA in its entirety after spin zone left and the place is better for it, IMO.

I don't really know much about who the OP is, other than he's been around for two years and managed to make more than 10k posts. I wish him well in his future endeavors.

Sorry, but no.

First off sheltering children is a bad idea, teaching them how to handle thoughts they don't agree with is a good thing, something many young college kids today would have benefited from, two if your child is impressionable enough that they can't separate proper behavior from inappropriate you should be a parent and supervise them

I didn't see the joke. However, I have seen (not necessarily from the OP) misogynistic, racist, and homophobic comments on this board. Whenever we let those stand it says to the world (maybe a 14 year old reading this) that those kinds of statements are accepted by this community. I'm glad the mods do the job they do.

Maybe I'm just a "snowflake" to many of you, that's fine. I prefer to read and participate in a group where "adult" means self-control of our rudest and most base behaviors, not displaying them for the world to see.

My thoughts. I appreciate the effort the mods make. I've watched the twists and turns this place has taken over the past 10 years, and every time I think about participating more, I think of my daughters seeing that participation some day and thinking "THOSE are the type of people my father chatted with online?"... and I just fade away for a few more months and just chat with pilots in person at the airport rather than here.

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

By using this site, you agree to the sites terms of service. It says right in the first paragraph:

You agree to not use the Service to submit or link to any Content which is defamatory, abusive, hateful, threatening, spam or spam-like, likely to offend, contains adult or objectionable content, contains personal information of others, risks copyright infringement, encourages unlawful activity, or otherwise violates any laws.

The mods administer a rule you agreed to when you signed up. Has nothing to do with anyone feeling 'hurt'.
This. The terms are written out clearly.

I didn't see the joke. However, I have seen (not necessarily from the OP) misogynistic, racist, and homophobic comments on this board. Whenever we let those stand it says to the world (maybe a 14 year old reading this) that those kinds of statements are accepted by this community. I'm glad the mods do the job they do.

Maybe I'm just a "snowflake" to many of you, that's fine. I prefer to read and participate in a group where "adult" means self-control of our rudest and most base behaviors, not displaying them for the world to see.

My thoughts. I appreciate the effort the mods make. I've watched the twists and turns this place has taken over the past 10 years, and every time I think about participating more, I think of my daughters seeing that participation some day and thinking "THOSE are the type of people my father chatted with online?"... and I just fade away for a few more months and just chat with pilots in person at the airport rather than here.

I'll crawl back under my rock now.

I've never seen a honestly racist comment on here,

Did you mean racist as in the Websters definition, or "racist" as in the 2017 "anything that might possibly offend me, or I disagree with" ?

And just because there is some rule somehwere doesn't make censoring anything and everything less petty or ridiculous

If you don't like it, don't read it. Just move to the next thread. If you don't like a poster, ignore them. The fact that we as a society have turned into such a bunch of snowflakes concerns me. Thank god for places like uncontrolled airspace where I can still get dick pics and see adult humor without others complaining.

You like dick pics? Well, aren't you a special little snowflake? You probably like manual flaps just so you can grab a fistful of Johnson Bar.

You like dick pics? Well, aren't you a special little snowflake? You probably like manual flaps just so you can grab a fistful of Johnson Bar.

Dude, your new york is showing.

And just because there is some rule somehwere doesn't make censoring anything and everything less petty or ridiculous
You are free to disagree with our rules, and obviously many do, but that doesn't mean we aren't going to enforce them. There are also those who love to flaunt their displeasure at them. As is obvious.

cupcakes, snowflakes, mscard and everskyward. you know, the usual stuff.
Yup. I called him out on a post he made in the joke thread that had been deleted by MC vote, and another one that was marginal but still there. So he decided to pack up and leave in a blaze of glory.

The difficulty with this rule is that too many of the criterion are subjective. I agree entirely with the last 4 because they are quantitative & factual. But "likely to offend" is so amorphous as completely impossible to evaluate. What I find offensive may be 100% reasonable to someone else. Case in point...a national/international volunteer group I used to belong to scheduled a major event on a religious holiday. When asked why no one checked the calendar, was told my objections were irrelevant. I found the policy offensive so I'm no longer a member. But I didn't inflict my opinions on the others.

Yup. I called him out on a post he made in the joke thread that had been deleted by MC vote, and another one that was marginal but still there. So he decided to pack up and leave in a blaze of glory.
The dude is 69 or 70 years old. How he still acts like a child and throws tempertantrums I don't get.

Although I don't care for dick pics, (only interested in pics of things I don't have) I do like to grab a fistful of Johnson Bar, and often at that. ;)

Curious.... the only butt hurt I see is from mscard88. All other is presumed.

Objectionable and offensive are quite different.

[/QUOTE
So this is why we are getting a bazillion new join requests in the FB group tonight. Not sure what I missed, don't care, but come on over... the beer is cold and bacon is sizzlin'

Do I have to join Facebook to be a member? Not sure I can bring myself to do that

The difficulty with this rule is that too many of the criterion are subjective. I agree entirely with the last 4 because they are quantitative & factual. But "likely to offend" is so amorphous as completely impossible to evaluate. What I find offensive may be 100% reasonable to someone else. Case in point...a national/international volunteer group I used to belong to scheduled a major event on a religious holiday. When asked why no one checked the calendar, was told my objections were irrelevant. I found the policy offensive so I'm no longer a member. But I didn't inflict my opinions on the others.

He wasn't banned. He had a tasteless joke deleted. If he doesn't want to be a member of this group, so be it.

Yes, some of these rules are not objective, but they don't have to be. There is a MC that adjudicates where the line falls and they do a good job at communicating when someone gets close to it. It's not like you get a permaban for a bad word.

Reactions: Ted

Pretending the mods here speak for "the community" is the first mistake. Hiding behind them is the second.

The mods make their own rules and play their own games as is their right, but they certainly don't represent anyone but themselves. Enforcing rules doesn't create a community. They're just site rules.

They have the power to close entire sections of the board down and have used it, with zero community input. Burnt it right to the ground. Ran off 1/3 of the active community in the process, too.

There are places that are real community on the internet and operate as such. This place isn't one of them. No big deal if you always remember where you are.

As far as 14 year olds goes, they see worse on Facebook and at the movies. PG-13 Wonder Woman last night had more "offensive" stuff in it than I've ever seen on a PoA joke thread.

Curious.... the only butt hurt I see is from mscard88. All other is presumed.

Missed one. Someone reported him in a joke thread instead of scrolling on by. Big time butthurt there. Adults don't do that.

Or, it was a crafted personal attack hiding behind the mods. Much more likely around here.

(Only other possibility is nobody reported him and the report that they did, was false. Logically speaking.)

But in the end, PoA would go on just fine whether he posted the joke or not. He wasn't endangering the "community".

Don't even need to have seen the joke to know that. There's more offensive and dangerous stuff to society in Shakespeare, guaranteed.

Pretending the mods here speak for "the community" is the first mistake. Hiding behind them is the second.

The mods make their own rules and play their own games as is their right, but they certainly don't represent anyone but themselves. Enforcing rules doesn't create a community. They're just site rules.

They have the power to close entire sections of the board down and have used it, with zero community input. Burnt it right to the ground. Ran off 1/3 of the active community in the process, too.

There are places that are real community on the internet and operate as such. This place isn't one of them. No big deal if you always remember where you are.

As far as 14 year olds goes, they see worse on Facebook and at the movies. PG-13 Wonder Woman last night had more "offensive" stuff in it than I've ever seen on a PoA joke thread.

Missed one. Someone reported him in a joke thread instead of scrolling on by. Big time butthurt there. Adults don't do that.

Or, it was a crafted personal attack hiding behind the mods. Much more likely around here.

(Only other possibility is nobody reported him and the report that they did, was false. Logically speaking.)

But in the end, PoA would go on just fine whether he posted the joke or not. He wasn't endangering the "community".

Don't even need to have seen the joke to know that. There's more offensive and dangerous stuff to society in Shakespeare, guaranteed.

BINGO!

Shhh. The 14 year olds might find out what a Johnson bar is and a double entendre at the same time.

The community has spoken! Save the children! LOL.

You are free to KEEP YOUR DISAGREEMENT with our rules TO YOURSELF, and obviously many do, but that doesn't mean I WON'T enforce them AS I SEE FIT. There are also those who love to flaunt their displeasure at them. As is obvious.

FTFY

Too many old people here with their antiquated rules. I'm about to bounce and create my own aviation forum with no oppressive moderation. I shall call it...Modaero. Maybe even separate it with a space like Mod Aero. Just an idea, early plannning stages and all.

Too many old people here with their antiquated rules. I'm about to bounce and create my own aviation forum with no oppressive moderation. I shall call it...Modaero. Maybe even separate it with a space like Mod Aero. Just an idea, early plannning stages and all.

Wow Im totally on board!

You really enjoy typing. Were you voted most likely to use the most words your senior year

But I do agree with your words, even if there are always lots of them.

This issue seems to pop up on every forum. There's always a group of people... and I'm one of those people who don't get offended by much of anything and enjoy the crude humor. Actually for people of a certain personality type it makes the group more tight knit and ends up being a bonding thing. I guess it's a comfort thing, once you know you're in the company of people not easily upset over small things it's easier to let one's guard down.

Then there are folks who don't like to see the boob pics or the foul language and it bothers them on some level. I honestly can't relate to this as I don't have this reaction but I recognize that some people do and are very put off by it. Others may not care but visit the site at work or around family and may not want to be scrolling by a huge picture of boobs while the boss/wife/young kid walk by. That I do understand..

It's always hard to find "the line" because it's in a different place for all of us. The mods I think do a reasonable job trying to find the balance but there is no answer that will please everyone. One thing I've seen done on other boards is to have an opt-in no or minimal rules forum where all the "objectionable" stuff can go and keep the rest of the board "clean". Kind of like the spin zone but for boobs and fart jokes.

... to have an opt-in no or minimal rules forum where all the "objectionable" stuff can go and keep the rest of the board "clean". Kind of like the spin zone but for boobs and fart jokes.

This is what I've suggested/requested many times, all of which went completely unanswered/ignored/filed in trash.

Back