Butter in coffee

Speaking of Coffee...

If anyone knows how to get rid of the annoying stains it leaves behind (particularly on Tervis Tumblers) I'd REALLY be interested in hearing about it.

I think I've ruined about 4 of them...and they aren't cheap :(

And before you say it, I wash them everyday...the problem is the time the coffee sits in there between when I fill it up and when I drink it.

View attachment 53242 View attachment 53243

Honestly, scrub harder. Or more abrasively. For the bad ones a Magic Eraser works well, but it'll scratch up the plastic over time.

What ever happened to percolating coffee?

I will drink coffee, but only with cream and sugar, so I don't drink it often. I love the smell, though.

My grandparents left the percolator on all day and all night. Quite a different flavor that way. I kinda miss it. Maybe I should get one.

I like a good cup of perked coffee once in a while, too. It's a subtle difference, but it's there.

Rich

Yup.

Second example: Once a barber taught me to replace "regular men's haircut" with "#3 on the sides, scissors on top, block it in the back" haircuts became much more consistent and we both avoid the awkward guessing game.

No man, tapered in back. :)

That cheeseburger thing... I've seriously had idiots ask this...

"Cheeseburger, plain."

"Okay, do you want the cheese with that, then?"

I'm guessing knowing two words, "Hamburger" and "Cheeseburger" is difficult... :p

Second example: Once a barber taught me to replace "regular men's haircut" with "#3 on the sides, scissors on top, block it in the back" haircuts became much more consistent and we both avoid the awkward guessing game.

Same thing happened to me. Mine is "1 1/4" on top, block it in back and off the ears." It comes out the same every time, unless I go to one of those Supercuts type places; then you need to tell them every hair to cut. Almost universally at one of those type of places, I say 1 1/4" on top and they say "you want me to cut off 1 1/4"". No, I have not measured each hair. Cut off whatever you need to to make it 1 1/4" on top... I don't understand that.

Same thing happened to me. Mine is "1 1/4" on top, block it in back and off the ears." It comes out the same every time, unless I go to one of those Supercuts type places; then you need to tell them every hair to cut. Almost universally at one of those type of places, I say 1 1/4" on top and they say "you want me to cut off 1 1/4"". No, I have not measured each hair. Cut off whatever you need to to make it 1 1/4" on top... I don't understand that.

That's because the girls at supercuts have cosmeticians licenses and not barbers licenses. I didn't know the difference until one of them told me that she was going to barber school. She explained to me that none of the barber stuff is taught in the cosmeticians courses. They are all about cutting and dyeing girls hair and doing facials etc. She wanted to get away from all the chemicals you have to deal with in girls hair. To be able to work full time with men, she needed the barbers license.

We have an odd turf war between the board of barbers and the cosmetology board. This went so far that the barbers got a state law passed that makes it a misdemeanor to display a barber pole at a business if you are not a licensed barber :confused: .

What ever happened to percolating coffee?

I will drink coffee, but only with cream and sugar, so I don't drink it often. I love the smell, though.

I like a good cup of perked coffee once in a while, too. It's a subtle difference, but it's there.

Rich

I bought a vintage 1956 Sunbeam percolator and absolutely love it. Perc coffee got a bad rap when people kept making it wrong. First of all, you can't get good coffee from stale grounds and any pre ground coffee you buy is already stale by definition. Coffee needs to be brewed within 20 minutes of grinding. Then, you need to keep the percolator clean. It needs detailing at least once a week. I use Q-tips, dental instruments and small brushes.

Finally, it works best at some elevation above sea level. Water boils at lower temperatures the higher you go, and the perfect temperature for coffee brewing is a few degrees under 212 F (I shoot for 197-208). My percolator made its best coffee when we lived at 3000 feet.

But for my best coffee at any elevation or brewing method, I buy green beans and roast them myself. Then use within one week. Grind just before brewing with a burr grinder. Use the right grind size for the brewing method. Use filtered fresh water and brew with a french press or drip or vacuum pot, but whatever you use must be cleaned very frequently to remove residue. The residue very quickly turns rancid and imparts bitterness to your final cup, no matter how good it smells while brewing.

When I'm not going to the trouble of roasting my own beans I get them shipped to me from a local roaster. I call and request a pound of "whatever you are roasting today, in the neighborhood of Full City"(a term describing degree of roast, dark but not burnt), and it arrives in 24 hours. Use within one week.

I wish it all tasted as good as it smells.

It does if all the stuff described above is done. Pretty rare even for me to get the perfect cup.

Honestly, scrub harder. Or more abrasively. For the bad ones a Magic Eraser works well, but it'll scratch up the plastic over time.

I've tried virtually everything, I'll give a magic eraser a try but I'm not so sure that'll do it. Anything short of a wire brush doesn't seem to make a dent in it.

Coconut oil, baking soda and toothpaste seem to work with cloudy stuff like suntan lotion, etc...but coffee is seriously hardcore stainage...

...but coffee is seriously hardcore stainage...

Yes it is. I have a small plastic single mug drip device that you place directly on your mug after steeping for a few minutes. It is literally impossible to clean. New it is clear but over time becomes darker and darker brown. The instructions say to rinse only, you're not even supposed to use detergent but I do anyway. I think the little valve is made out of some kind of sensitive silicone or something.

Anyway, it's supposed to be used only occasionally such as when you travel and stay in hotels, but I use it daily sometimes, and just buy a new one every so often. They're only $20 or so.

The expensiveness of the brew device has zero relation to the quality of your coffee by the way. The factors in descending order of importance INHO are:

(Assume quality sourced Arabica bean, roasted correctly to any roast, light to very dark depending on personal preference)

Grind freshness (how soon after you grind) and bean freshness (how long since roasting) tied for first place
Right water temperature
Clean appliance and clean grinder too.
Right steep time
Filtered water
Right grind (coarse vs fine) for the method and using burr over the cheap fan blade type

If you get all these right it doesn't matter if you use a fancy $200 machine or for no cost at all just put grinds in your cup and steep like looseleaf tea. And everything in between. The result will be the same. There are people who swear filters change the flavor of coffee, and there's bleached vs unbleached filter differences but I have not found that to matter.

What does matter with money is buying a good burr grinder, and getting good beans to start with. Now that we have "microroasters" popping up everywhere there's no excuse not to get good beans. The reason percolators have such a bad reputation is that we were carrying very old beans around in the frontier days, and more recently our mothers and grandmothers were buying pre-ground grocery store coffee that had been sitting on the shelf for weeks or months. It's not enough even to use the store's grinder. Your grinder like your brewing device needs to be cleaned meticulously. After only 20 minutes oxygen starts breaking down the residue into unpalatable components and a store grinder has God knows how many days or weeks of stale residue, plus all the awful additives in "flavored" coffee beans - yuck - not to mention you're still using grinds way over the 20 minute window for freshness. Invest your money in the grinder not the brewer.

Even roasting, if you roast your own, can best be done with a cheap used popcorn popper, if you can find one on e-bay.

Butter is just more dairy fat in people's coffee. Like many others, I drink mine black, and relatively strong. I did have a friend who put salt, and pepper on the grounds of his coffee prior to it being brewed.

Butter coffee pretty much is the intestinal equivalent to Chipotle and/or Magnesium Oxide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Can't tell you what the food safety folk say, but my grandparents on dad's side always kept a stick under one of those covered butter dishes on the counter.

My mother did too. The butter was always soft and easy to spread. I've tried to get my wife to do it for years but she just won't for whatever reason. I guess people think it will 'spoil'.

My mother did too. The butter was always soft and easy to spread. I've tried to get my wife to do it for years but she just won't for whatever reason. I guess people think it will 'spoil'.
We do that and we've never had it spoil. But, we go through butter pretty fast so maybe it would if it sat there long enough. Either way, I like always having spreadable butter on hand.

We do that and we've never had it spoil. But, we go through butter pretty fast so maybe it would if it sat there long enough. Either way, I like always having spreadable butter on hand.

The problem with the "spreadable" stuff, for me anyway, is that it isn't really just butter. It's usually oil that's been mixed with butter or stuff to make it set up a little. Depends on the brand/variety.

I kinda just want butter.

The problem with the "spreadable" stuff, for me anyway, is that it isn't really just butter. It's usually oil that's been mixed with butter or stuff to make it set up a little. Depends on the brand/variety.

I kinda just want butter.

Not just butter, I want grass fed butter. I used to keep it out sometimes when the kids lived at home. It doesn't spoil.

The only thing that belongs in coffee is coffee. Water if you must.
the purist

Yup, and if it you can pave roads with what's left at the bottom of the pitcher, all the better.

Some people will do anything to avoid having their coffee to taste like coffee. Butter? Who knows but sounds like a good waste of coffee or butter or both.
We keep our butter in a Tupperware dish in the cupboard right next to my crocks of saved bacon fat(grease), one pound at a time. I like soft spreadable butter, it never goes bad because it is a fat and salted to boot!

Starbucks is horrible, not just the coffee but the pretentious asshats that work their. Every time you try to order just a cup of coffee they look at you like you are from the wayback machine usually with an audible snort.

I had heard about this but until I actually saw it I thought it was just an urban myth, people actually put ranch dressing in their iced tea!

Some people will do anything to avoid having their coffee to taste like coffee. Butter? Who knows but sounds like a good waste of coffee or butter or both.
We keep our butter in a Tupperware dish in the cupboard right next to my crocks of saved bacon fat(grease), one pound at a time. I like soft spreadable butter, it never goes bad because it is a fat and salted to boot!

Starbucks is horrible, not just the coffee but the pretentious asshats that work their. Every time you try to order just a cup of coffee they look at you like you are from the wayback machine usually with an audible snort.

I had heard about this but until I actually saw it I thought it was just an urban myth, people actually put ranch dressing in their iced tea!

Butter does not make coffee taste any less like coffee than it makes rum taste less like rum. Hot buttered rum, hot buttered coffee. Both good. But I agree with you about Starbucks. I think the very worst thing you can do to coffee is put sugar in it, or flavored extracts. Those are ways to make bad coffee palatable.

I also like to keep bacon grease right on the stove.

Ranch dressing in iced tea? Oh Lord.

i put butter in my coffee based on this thread.

not a huge fan, but I do get the appeal.

For me the appeal is mostly that the shot of fat and vitamin B12 satisfies me and boosts my energy for the morning. I am not a person who likes to cook breakfast. Black coffee no fat just gives me jitters.

Every morning since October: 1TBSP Kerrygold, 1TBSP brain octane, hand-mix into one cup of coffee. Never felt better mentally.

Every morning since October: 1TBSP Kerrygold, 1TBSP brain octane, hand-mix into one cup of coffee. Never felt better mentally.

Love Kerrygold. Might have to look into this Brain Octane.

Not just butter, I want grass fed butter. I used to keep it out sometimes when the kids lived at home. It doesn't spoil.
i'll put a stick of butter on the lawn tonight and see if the flavor is better by this weekend, assuming the crows don't get it. thanks for the tip on grass fed butter

Love Kerrygold. Might have to look into this Brain Octane.

Totally. It's a processed coconut oil that you can mix with coffee, cook with, etc. It's not just straight coconut oil.

https://www.bulletproof.com/brain-octane-oil-16-oz

I used to have coffee a few times a day to keep from crashing. With that combo, I make it all day with no crash and I just feel mentally present.

Alright I had to know...

20170513_080856.jpg

20170513_081000.jpg

20170513_081137.jpg

Actually I expected it to be really gross or somehow significantly alter the flavor. It actually did surprisingly little. not enough to Warrant making it a practice. Also not in any way disgusting. So there you go.

Actually I expected it to be really gross or somehow significantly alter the flavor. It actually did surprisingly little. not enough to Warrant making it a practice. Also not in any way disgusting. So there you go.

People don't do it for the flavor per se. It's for the fat.

I've tried virtually everything, I'll give a magic eraser a try but I'm not so sure that'll do it. Anything short of a wire brush doesn't seem to make a dent in it.

Coconut oil, baking soda and toothpaste seem to work with cloudy stuff like suntan lotion, etc...but coffee is seriously hardcore stainage...

There used to be a dish washing detergent we bought at a discount store that would take it off immediately. It smelled like no other dishwasher soap - strong bleach odor. It was fantastic. The store closed down and now I cannot get it anymore. Try adding some bleach to dishwasher detergent and letting it soak in there for a while.

For me? "High and tight."

Sometimes I have to explain it, but usually they get it. If they don't, I ask for someone that does. "Number five on top, leave it long on the front, bare skin to the fade line, above the crown of the head."

For me? "High and tight."

Sometimes I have to explain it, but usually they get it. If they don't, I ask for someone that does. "Number five on top, leave it long on the front, bare skin to the fade line, above the crown of the head."
Barbershops always get it, but unfortunately, I often find that Sunday is the only day I can squeeze in a haircut. I have not found a local barber open on Sunday. Also, the local barbershops always seem to be slammed busy every time I go to one (I guess it is a good problem for them). I am not the type to go to a place that needs an appointment, mainly because I can't plan that far in advance. I did just recently find a place that seems to be just one lady (who was a pretty quick learner) who never seems to have a wait. Of course that doesn't bode well for her...

Back