Butter in coffee

Are you sure they said butter?

Maybe it was bacon they put in their coffee. Or bacon fat?

I think this is called "Bulletproof Coffee" (as my wife tells me because good Lord, this kind of thing shouldn't exist.) But it's supposed to be coffee, butter and coconut oil, and it's supposed to be blended.

It sounds like an express trip to the bathroom for a rapid exit from both inlet and exhaust to me. But some people must like that sort of thing. I guess this is supposed to keep you feeling satiated so you don't over-eat and lose weight? I would think the constant visits to the bathroom from the well lubricated internal organs might be the cause of the weight loss.

Cold Lake air base in Canada - they put butter on BOTH pieces of bread in my box-lunch ham sandwich. I almost puked. Several years later, the same disgusting habit had migrated south, to Andrews AFB's flight kitchen. I didn't want to offend our Northern allies, so I kept my mouth shut on that occasion. But, Andrews was "home", so I asked "WTF is THIS??". Answer: "It keeps the bread from getting dry". It also keeps it from being eaten, as well, you effing morons!

A few months pass, and the kitchen grows curious why we pick up coffee, but rarely order the sandwich lunches anymore. . .and, I swear, they suggested butter was a superior substitute for coffee cream! This was 30+ year ago. We just stopped going to the "in-flight kitchen" at all. . .

I believe that coffee should be ordered in 4 words or fewer. (1) Coffee. (2) Large. (3) Black. I'll give you 4 so that you can get it candied up with cream and sugar even though it's wrong and you should use your 4th to say, "please." If you're in line behind someone who's picking up double-vanity-frappa-caramely-machhiochistic-extra-hot-with-ices for the office (one text at a time) you can use "dammit" as #4.

Nauga,
feeling benevolent
I have said, underbreath, much more than "dammit" while having visions of commiting some very anti-social acts for #4. It's the coffee shop for cryin out loud, not 31 freakin flavors.

Wondering if you mean that as "Coffee is perfect the way it is and adding anything will detract from that perfection" or "Coffee is so revolting that it's beyond help."
I think he means it in the sense of, "You can't put too much water in the reactor."

Yes, but unsalted (sweet) butter. I use Kerry Gold grass fed, did I say UNsalted? Plain old regular salted butter, yuck!

I use the Kerrigold unsalted myself. They finally started making it in regular sticks. I hated the original block that you had to slice long and thin at the tablespoon marks.

I use the Kerrigold unsalted myself. They finally started making it in regular sticks. I hated the original block that you had to slice long and thin at the tablespoon marks.

Oh? I haven't seen the regular sticks! I still have to cut the block lengthwise to make it fit into my butter dish.

Oh? I haven't seen the regular sticks! I still have to cut the block lengthwise to make it fit into my butter dish.

Yeah, every place that sells it doesn't have them. We have Kroger and Publix here in Atlanta, they both sell Kerrigold, and only Publix sells It In the sticks.

The only thing that belongs in coffee is coffee. Water if you must.

Nauga,
the purist
I like beer flavored beer and coffee flavored coffee.

I don't need pumpkins or spices or chocolate or hollyberries or whatever in my coffee or beer.

If I may, a summary: "I drink my coffee black...unless I put stuff in it." :D

Really, :D:D:D

Nauga,
master of the obvious

Well, if you want to be technical about it. :rolleyes:

Although I must say, I consider cappuccino to be more of an art form than a beverage. Here's a particularly nice one I made a few weeks ago.

cappuccino.jpg

I may have been a barista in a previous life.

Rich

Although I must say, I consider cappuccino to be more of an art form than a beverage. Here's a particularly nice one I made a few weeks ago.
I have to admit, I do like a good cappuccino from time to time. Of course I ask them to hold the milk, no foam and no cinnamon on top, but I do enjoy it. ;)

My hat's off to you for being able to pull your own. <--not a joke

I have photographs of my favorite espresso (espressi?) around the world but I'll spare all of you. <-- also not a joke

Nauga,
with crema, no cream

Butter in tea has good effects if u have cold, it's a form of Tibetan tea, and it had to be leaf tea and real butter

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Its real butter alright...real yak butter. ;)

And although I've tried the coconut oil in coffee and hated it, I'd never put butter in my coffee. I've never tried dipping coffee before either but I'll try it.

I have to admit, I do like a good cappuccino from time to time. Of course I ask them to hold the milk, no foam and no cinnamon on top, but I do enjoy it. ;)

My hat's off to you for being able to pull your own. <--not a joke

I have photographs of my favorite espresso (espressi?) around the world but I'll spare all of you. <-- also not a joke

Nauga,
with crema, no cream

Actually, I could go for a nice espresso about now...

In my family, there have always been three kinds of coffee: "brown" (the usual percolated or drip beverage that we usually call "coffee"), "black" (espresso), and cappuccino. After family dinners, someone will come to the table and ask each person "Brown or black?" to get an idea of how much of each should be made. If someone says "Cappuccino," the host will pretend to be annoyed, but secretly will relish the opportunity to show off their frothing skills.

None of us "pull" espresso, strictly speaking. To "pull" an espresso technically refers to the old-school way of doing it, where one actually pulled a handle that actuated a piston that forced the water through the coffee. I suspect that's a lost art now.

Everyone in my family uses either a moka pot or a machine. I used to favor the moka pot until I finally found a machine that did it better than any moka pot I ever used. It's a Cuisinart that cost about $300.00 and was worth every penny and then some.

With the machine, the only place where skill comes in is packing and tamping the puck. When making it for myself, I tend to tamp quite firmly, which produces a slightly more robust and slightly burnt taste, presumably because it slows down the water flow. When making it for others, I loosen it up a bit to get the more traditional taste.

Everyone else in my family adds Sambuca to espresso or cappuccino. I don't. It tastes too much like licorice, which is fine as candy, but not in my coffee. I will sometimes add spiced rum to the espresso if I'm making cappuccino, however; and I also doctor up the froth sometimes with a few drops vanilla or almond extract and a bit of stevia.

I usually use heavy cream for cappuccino, which is much more difficult to froth (I suppose because of the lower protein / fat ratio), but has a better taste. The key to getting a good froth with heavy cream is to put it in the freezer for a while -- not enough for it to freeze, but long enough to get it really cold. I have no idea why. Most other people I know use skim milk. That makes for a much easier, but utterly tasteless froth.

Rich

None of us "pull" espresso, strictly speaking. To "pull" an espresso technically refers to the old-school way of doing it, where one actually pulled a handle that actuated a piston that forced the water through the coffee. I suspect that's a lost art now.
Ah, it was the OP that referred to pulling his own, my mistake. My favorite espresso in the area is a coffee cart in a farmers' market about an hour from here where the owner hand-pulls the shots. Fortunately we have other reasons to be in that area so it's not that far out of the way for us. There are a few locally with hand-pulls but they tend to be overrun by the moustache wax and flannel shirt brigade and the espresso is bright to the point of tasting like a shot of vinegar. I suppose I can see how some milk/cream/butter/cow **** might temper the astringency but I prefer to just drink better coffee. :cool:

One of these days I'll learn to do it myself. Rumor has it there are discreet places nearby that will take you in and teach you the ways...always referred to in hushed tones in dark corners.

...but I digress.o_O

Heard good things about Moka pots, probably should try one.

Nauga,
who is pretty f'n serious about his coffee

Made it a double.
I like that the mark for a single looks like a little puff of air, as though your machine was saying, "Pfft, why bother? Go for two, you know you want to." o_O

Nauga,
who doesn't need his appliances judging him

. . . .

Heard good things about Moka pots, probably should try one.

Nauga,
who is pretty f'n serious about his coffee

Moka pots are good if you get a good one, which has nothing whatsoever to do with the price of the pot. It took me years to find a machine that did it as well as my old moka pot, which I still use sometimes when I have a lot of guests who want espresso.

But my Cusinart does it better. I guess it's a combination of the perfect temperature, rate, and pressure because I can't think of what else it could be. I mean, it pushes hot water through coffee. There's not much besides temperature, rate, and pressure going on there.

It does, however, need fairly frequent cleaning, even using filtered water.

Rich

Cold Lake air base in Canada - they put butter on BOTH pieces of bread in my box-lunch ham sandwich. I almost puked. Several years later, the same disgusting habit had migrated south, to Andrews AFB's flight kitchen. I didn't want to offend our Northern allies, so I kept my mouth shut on that occasion. But, Andrews was "home", so I asked "WTF is THIS??". Answer: "It keeps the bread from getting dry". It also keeps it from being eaten, as well, you effing morons!

A few months pass, and the kitchen grows curious why we pick up coffee, but rarely order the sandwich lunches anymore. . .and, I swear, they suggested butter was a superior substitute for coffee cream! This was 30+ year ago. We just stopped going to the "in-flight kitchen" at all. . .

It's a really good thing I don't put butter in my tea. If I did there would be butter coming out my nose and all over the keyboard.
As it is there is enough snotty tea all over everything to constitute a biological hazard.

My "holiday" coffee generally includes a healthy splash of Baileys and usually Kahlua. But no butter.

Are you sure they said butter?

Maybe it was bacon they put in their coffee. Or bacon fat?

I think this is called "Bulletproof Coffee" (as my wife tells me because good Lord, this kind of thing shouldn't exist.) But it's supposed to be coffee, butter and coconut oil, and it's supposed to be blended.

It sounds like an express trip to the bathroom for a rapid exit from both inlet and exhaust to me. But some people must like that sort of thing. I guess this is supposed to keep you feeling satiated so you don't over-eat and lose weight? I would think the constant visits to the bathroom from the well lubricated internal organs might be the cause of the weight loss.

I think you just described the human version of turbo bootstrapping at cruise...

Wisconsin creameries are so jealous of Kerrigold butter, they banned it. ;-)

IMG_1408.PNG
For everyone who woke up this morning and said to themselves..."I'm not going to admit it, but I think I'll give this a try..."

Bullet-Proof coffee. Butter & Coconut oil. It's pretty amazing but not something I'd drink everyday...

Funny, I'm ex-military and live in Seattle, and have never drank coffee in my life.

Just didn't see any reason
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
Ron "Why is there a backward 't' on my face?" Wanttaja

Not all butter is salted.
NO butter is salted.
Someone tugs on a cow's teat and extracts milk. They let it sit and then skim the thick cream off the top and churn it into butter.
If I see some idiot with a box of salt anywhere near the butter, the last thing he will see would be the big flash out of the front end of my 12-gauge.

What's next: pouring buckets of salt into milk? Salty cheese? Salty milk chocolate? :eek:
Why not salty coffee creamer instead of all the hazelnut or minty hell we're already in? :D

Funny, I'm ex-military and live in Seattle, and have never drank coffee in my life.

Just didn't see any reason
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
t
Ron "Why is there a backward 't' on my face?" Wanttaja
I'm trying really hard to figure this one out

I believe that coffee should be ordered in 4 words or fewer. (1) Coffee. (2) Large. (3) Black. I'll give you 4 so that you can get it candied up with cream and sugar even though it's wrong and you should use your 4th to say, "please." If you're in line behind someone who's picking up double-vanity-frappa-caramely-machhiochistic-extra-hot-with-ices for the office (one text at a time) you can use "dammit" as #4.

Nauga,
feeling benevolent

I HATE going to Starbucks, not because they are overpriced or because their coffee kinda sucks, but because I don't know and don't care to learn all the lingo. I was desperate for coffee the other day and Starbucks was the closest thing around. I was filled with dread just walking into the place because I knew what was coming. Guess I just hoped it would be different this time. My request seemed simple enough:

Me: "Can I get a large coffee to go, please?"
I even said please.

Coffee Selling Person with Annoyingly Chipper Smile on Face: "Do you want that a Grande, Vinti (sp?) ... blah blah blah?"
Me: *points to biggest cup I see* "That one."
Coffee Selling Person I Want to Hit Now: "Would you like it hot or cold?"
Me: "Hot."
Coffee Selling A-Hole: "Which..."
Me: "Wait, who the hell drinks cold coffee?!
"

Seriously.

Person I Might Soon Kill: "Some people enjoy a nice, cold coffee on a hot day, ma'am."
Me: "Those people are dumb."
Person STILL Keeping Me From My Caffeine: "Which flavor can we get you today? We have..."
...starts listing a bunch of nonsense.
Me: "Coffee flavored."
Person Who is Now Really Really REALLY ****ing Me Off: "Do you want that..."
Me: "Can I please just have the coffee?!!! HOT and BLACK, kinda like that guy over there, but drinkable and able to come home with me without upsetting my husband."
Starbucks Employee: "That'll be $30."

Hate that place.

I HATE going to Starbucks, not because they are overpriced or because their coffee kinda sucks, but because I don't know and don't care to learn all the lingo. I was desperate for coffee the other day and Starbucks was the closest thing around. I was filled with dread just walking into the place because I knew what was coming. Guess I just hoped it would be different this time. My request seemed simple enough:

Me: "Can I get a large coffee to go, please?"
I even said please.

Coffee Selling Person with Annoyingly Chipper Smile on Face: "Do you want that a Grande, Vinti (sp?) ... blah blah blah?"
Me: *points to biggest cup I see* "That one."
Coffee Selling Person I Want to Hit Now: "Would you like it hot or cold?"
Me: "Hot."
Coffee Selling A-Hole: "Which..."
Me: "Wait, who the hell drinks cold coffee?!
"

Seriously.

Person I Might Soon Kill: "Some people enjoy a nice, cold coffee on a hot day, ma'am."
Me: "Those people are dumb."
Person STILL Keeping Me From My Caffeine: "Which flavor can we get you today? We have..."
...starts listing a bunch of nonsense.
Me: "Coffee flavored."
Person Who is Now Really Really REALLY ****ing Me Off: "Do you want that..."
Me: "Can I please just have the coffee?!!! HOT and BLACK, kinda like that guy over there, but drinkable and able to come home with me without upsetting my husband."
Starbucks Employee: "That'll be $30."

Hate that place.

NO butter is salted.
Someone tugs on a cow's teat and extracts milk. They let it sit and then skim the thick cream off the top and churn it into butter.
If I see some idiot with a box of salt anywhere near the butter, the last thing he will see would be the big flash out of the front end of my 12-gauge.

What's next: pouring buckets of salt into milk? Salty cheese? Salty milk chocolate? :eek:
Why not salty coffee creamer instead of all the hazelnut or minty hell we're already in? :D
Butter is salted by default. Sure, you can buy "unsalted" butter, but they spell that out right on the packaging. If it was normal, they wouldn't do that. Salt goes great with lots of stuff. Dark chocolate with sea salt is awesome. Cheese? Sure, the cracker you put that cheese on usually has salt... I have never salted milk, though.

Back