Butter in coffee

To me, unsalted butter tastes like lard. For a long time, I thought the only people who bought it were those on low-salt diets.

Try it. ;)
Heck, put a stick of your "default salted" butter in your coffee. :)
When you're done puking, let me know, we can maybe restart our conversation on the right foot. :D
I don't want to sound repetitive with the above posts in thread, but the only thing that should go into coffee is coffee. That said, I love salt, just not in my coffee. My ex-inlaws actually put salt in the grounds before brewing. Supposedly it makes it less bitter. Personally, I just buy good coffee and I use a super automatic espresso machine (grinds the beans, makes the puck and shoots the water through it under pressure). I drink two of those every morning. I avoid Starbucks like the plague (mediocre coffee and long lines). :)

Butter is salted by default. Sure, you can buy "unsalted" butter, but they spell that out right on the packaging. If it was normal, they wouldn't do that. Salt goes great with lots of stuff. Dark chocolate with sea salt is awesome. Cheese? Sure, the cracker you put that cheese on usually has salt... I have never salted milk, though.

Salt was put into butter before we had refrigeration. We now have refrigeration and it is puzzling that we haven't done away with it.

Salt was put into butter before we had refrigeration. We now have refrigeration and it is puzzling that we haven't done away with it.
Well, it adds flavor to the butter as @Everskyward pointed out. Speaking of which, my GF insists that butter shouldn't be refrigerated (she leaves it out all the time and says her mom always did too). How long can you leave butter out without it going bad? Does this apply to light butter too (with olive oil)? It doesn't seem right to me to leave out a dairy product (also, it tastes better cold).

I HATE going to Starbucks, not because they are overpriced or because their coffee kinda sucks, but because I don't know and don't care to learn all the lingo. I was desperate for coffee the other day and Starbucks was the closest thing around. I was filled with dread just walking into the place because I knew what was coming. Guess I just hoped it would be different this time. My request seemed simple enough:

Me: "Can I get a large coffee to go, please?"
I even said please.

Coffee Selling Person with Annoyingly Chipper Smile on Face: "Do you want that a Grande, Vinti (sp?) ... blah blah blah?"
Me: *points to biggest cup I see* "That one."
Coffee Selling Person I Want to Hit Now: "Would you like it hot or cold?"
Me: "Hot."
Coffee Selling A-Hole: "Which..."
Me: "Wait, who the hell drinks cold coffee?!
"

Seriously.

Person I Might Soon Kill: "Some people enjoy a nice, cold coffee on a hot day, ma'am."
Me: "Those people are dumb."
Person STILL Keeping Me From My Caffeine: "Which flavor can we get you today? We have..."
...starts listing a bunch of nonsense.
Me: "Coffee flavored."
Person Who is Now Really Really REALLY ****ing Me Off: "Do you want that..."
Me: "Can I please just have the coffee?!!! HOT and BLACK, kinda like that guy over there, but drinkable and able to come home with me without upsetting my husband."
Starbucks Employee: "That'll be $30."

Hate that place.

What kind of pretentious hellhole do you live in? If I go in to the local Starbucks and ask for a large drip, they'll give me the Venti Pike Place or whatever the blend is they have in the container ready to go. They don't quibble over the minutiae. And I think large drip is a pretty universal coffee shop language.

Now large drip in other circumstances could be problematic in a mechanical or medical sense....

Also the only proper way to brew coffee is to brew a pot, pour it back into the water reservoir, and run it through fresh grounds.

I HATE going to Starbucks, not because they are overpriced or because their coffee kinda sucks, but because I don't know and don't care to learn all the lingo.
I don't play the game. "Double espresso and a large drip, dark," and it torques me that I have to specify the 'dark' because if I don't I get the tea-colored runoff that they had to make the default for all of the people that go to Starbucks but DON'T LIKE COFFEE. (cue the Ron Paul scream). If they successfully fill my order and I'm allowed to return, they usually don't bother asking any 'clarifying questions' or upsell the next time.

ob.note: It's two orders, three words or less each. QED.

Nauga,
railed

Also the only proper way to brew coffee is to brew a pot, pour it back into the water reservoir, and run it through fresh grounds.
It works, but it's tough to clean. Using two filters holds the water in the grounds longer and has the same effect.

Nauga,
who knows desperate times call for desperate measures

Well, it adds flavor to the butter as @Everskyward pointed out. Speaking of which, my GF insists that butter shouldn't be refrigerated (she leaves it out all the time and says her mom always did too). How long can you leave butter out without it going bad? Does this apply to light butter too (with olive oil)? It doesn't seem right to me to leave out a dairy product (also, it tastes better cold).

Can't tell you what the food safety folk say, but my grandparents on dad's side always kept a stick under one of those covered butter dishes on the counter.

Of course they grew up knowing what a true "icebox" was, so they barely noticed when their fridge started failing, too. I reached in there one day during a family gathering and then went and asked dad to stick his hand in there and get himself another beer and see if he thought it was warm, too. He agreed. We got their fridge fixed for them.

I think if grandpa had his way, he'd have just dug out a root cellar and put the veggies and what not, down there, just like back on the farm.

I'd say the GF isn't going to die of it. You can get yours from the fridge and she can get hers from the butter dish. It certainly spreads better from the dish, that's for sure. Grandparents one was next to the toaster and I don't think either one of them ever started a day without a slice of toast. They'd have toast and then start making pancakes and fried potatoes on a Saturday morning. He. But toast was first.

I go in to the local Starbucks and ask for a large drip, they'll give me the Venti Pike Place

"Double espresso and a large drip, dark,"

woah woah woah... ok, everyone back up a sec. I'm only on my second cup right now, so maybe I'm missing something. But, what is a "large drip?" I'm not being a smartass, this is seriously the first time I've ever heard that. Is this standard Starbucks phraseology or a regional thing or something? I'm assuming you are talking about coffee. Drip = Coffee? So why not just call it coffee?

@ircphoenix - You can't toss around words like "Venti Pike Place" (whaaa?) and talking about others being pretentious ;)

woah woah woah... ok, everyone back up a sec. I'm only on my second cup right now, so maybe I'm missing something. But, what is a "large drip?" I'm not being a smartass, this is seriously the first time I've ever heard that. Is this standard Starbucks phraseology or a regional thing or something? I'm assuming you are talking about coffee. Drip = Coffee? So why not just call it coffee?

@ircphoenix - You can't toss around words like "Venti Pike Place" (whaaa?) and talking about others being pretentious ;)

"Drip" is what places like Starbucks et. al. call the coffee that you get when you order it from a bodega in The Bronx, a diner in Jersey, a gas station in Sparrow Fart, or a Dunkin Donuts anywhere. It's normal coffee.

Starbucks' default drip coffee is very weak, though. I suppose there's some official way to specify that you want drip coffee that actually tastes like coffee, but I can't be bothered learning their lingo. I just tell them "drip - strong - black - no sugar" with a threatening glare that warns them not to ask me any stupid questions. That seems to work.

Honestly though, if there's any other place to get coffee, I usually go there instead. Even most gas station coffee is better than Starbucks, IMHO, and comes without the pretension and upsell attempts.

Rich

I'm thinking about having coffee right now.

I dont like their 'drip coffee' or all the flim-flam sugary drinks.

A lot of people use mobile ordering, I have something better. I just pull into the local Starbucks parking lot and one of the kids starts my regular drink order ;-)

I'm thinking about having coffee right now.

I don't think about it, it just happens. It's like I know my alarm goes off in the morning, that I get out of bed, go downstairs and make a pot, but my first memory doesn't kick in until the last sip of my first cup of coffee. Everything before that is darkness.

"Drip" is what places like Starbucks et. al. call the coffee that you get when you order it from a bodega in The Bronx, a diner in Jersey, a gas station in Sparrow Fart, or a Dunkin Donuts anywhere. It's normal coffee.

Starbucks' default drip coffee is very weak, though. I suppose there's some official way to specify that you want drip coffee that actually tastes like coffee, but I can't be bothered learning their lingo. I just tell them "drip - strong - black - no sugar" with a threatening glare that warns them not to ask me any stupid questions. That seems to work.

Honestly though, if there's any other place to get coffee, I usually go there instead. Even most gas station coffee is better than Starbucks, IMHO, and comes without the pretension and upsell attempts.

Rich

hmm, still not sure I understand the difference between ordering coffee and ordering a "drip," but I appreciate the attempted explanation. Just asked some coworkers and they've never heard that word before either, so must be a regional thing.

I don't go to Starbucks because of the culture and the humans there and everything else mentioned but I drank Folgers for about 18 years. Then I got this at the store and it's pretty good. I just brew it in this cheapo Wal-Mart pot.
20170502_062016.jpg

All Starbucks coffee tastes burnt to me. They are a coffee of last resort as far as I'm concerned.

I've never tried the butter thing, although when I was a kid we would occasionally have toast & hot chocolate for breakfast. This involved dunking the buttered toast into the hot chocolate and so I'd wind up with butter on my hot chocolate. (I don't know how it would get "mixed in" since it's oil and it just floats...)

The best coffee I've ever had was in Sweden. And it was consistently excellent. Smooth but very strong. I did some research when we got home to see how strong they made it. My slightly under a liter coffee press required ~1/3 cup of freshly ground coffee to duplicate it. But it's goooood.

Speaking of Coffee...

If anyone knows how to get rid of the annoying stains it leaves behind (particularly on Tervis Tumblers) I'd REALLY be interested in hearing about it.

I think I've ruined about 4 of them...and they aren't cheap :(

And before you say it, I wash them everyday...the problem is the time the coffee sits in there between when I fill it up and when I drink it.

IMG_1101.JPG IMG_1102.JPG

But, what is a "large drip?" [...] Drip = Coffee? So why not just call it coffee?
Because in these new places where everyone gets what they want but it's never coffee, asking for coffee leads to questions like "Pourover? French Press? Clover? Vacuum?" It's faster than saying, "Yo, that big vat of stuff behind you with the sign on it that says 'Dark'? Pour me a big cuppa that stuff. And hurry."

And for those who say any other coffee is better than Starbucks, just think of the Bux as primer - when you're on the road it's coffee that gets you to the place where you can have coffee. It's also one of two places nearby that hasn't leapt headlong into the 'bright' espresso fad around here...see a few posts back.

And I'm going to have to stop before I get into a rant about how hard it is to get them to leave the %#$&*# lids off the espresso!

Nauga,
and [almost] any port in a storm

I don't think about it, it just happens. It's like I know my alarm goes off in the morning, that I get out of bed, go downstairs and make a pot, but my first memory doesn't kick in until the last sip of my first cup of coffee. Everything before that is darkness.

I used to have a 1 cup coffee maker with a timer. Put the milk in the steel tumbler and freeze it the evening before. Add the coffee grinds and water and set the coffee maker as your alarm clock. Allows you to minimize the dead-zone between waking up and gaining consciousness.

Me at Starbucks ... once ... maybe twice. (with a nod to Jerry Seinfeld's "The Soup Nazi")

me: "Don't you have any plain coffee? You know, like Folgers or something?"
them: "No coffee for you!"

Because in these new places where everyone gets what they want but it's never coffee, asking for coffee leads to questions like "Pourover? French Press? Clover? Vacuum?" It's faster than saying, "Yo, that big vat of stuff behind you with the sign on it that says 'Dark'? Pour me a big cuppa that stuff. And hurry."

Ahhh, Ok. I get it now. I'll try that next time!

It's the other way around for me. The coffeepot turns on at 5, and the gurgling at the end of the brew is my alarm clock.

What ever happened to percolating coffee?

I will drink coffee, but only with cream and sugar, so I don't drink it often. I love the smell, though.

It's the other way around for me. The coffeepot turns on at 5, and the gurgling at the end of the brew is my alarm clock.

Gurgling at the end of the brew?

That's usually me:

Mmm.jpg

I will drink coffee, but only with cream and sugar, so I don't drink it often. I love the smell, though.
I wish it all tasted as good as it smells.

I have a campfire percolator ... love the camp coffee. Also had a glass coleman percolator for the RV for almost 30 years - it met it's demise last summer when I dropped it.

Rich
I know everyone hates it, and I have personal reasons for disliking it as well, but I think Starbucks has some decent offerings. Their seasonal blends can be pretty good and we like the Yukon. Casa Cielo and the Christmas blend are the ones we like most. Starbucks always has Pike's Place brewed when you order a drip and I avoid that at all costs. It's in the same category as Folgers to me. The main problem is there doesn't seem to be much consistency for how it is brewed in the stores. You never know for sure what you'll get, but its all we have around here. I can't do gas station coffee.

I love this thing, and I keep telling myself that not going to Starbucks pays for it:

I don't do Starbucks either for all the reasons cited above, but in general, there is value in learning to use the right lingo in the right places. Two specific examples: My son was frustrated everytime he ordered a hamburger and it came with stuff he didn't want on it, no matter how detailed an explanation he had given with his order. Finally I told him to just say "Cheeseburger, plain and dry" and he started getting what he wanted: a cheeseburger on a bun with nothing else.

Second example: Once a barber taught me to replace "regular men's haircut" with "#3 on the sides, scissors on top, block it in the back" haircuts became much more consistent and we both avoid the awkward guessing game.

I haven't done it in a while but the coffee on a timer is pretty sweet to wake up to.

I know everyone hates it, and I have personal reasons for disliking it as well, but I think Starbucks has some decent offerings. Their seasonal blends can be pretty good and we like the Yukon. Casa Cielo and the Christmas blend are the ones we like most. Starbucks always has Pike's Place brewed when you order a drip and I avoid that at all costs. It's in the same category as Folgers to me. The main problem is there doesn't seem to be much consistency for how it is brewed in the stores. You never know for sure what you'll get, but its all we have around here. I can't do gas station coffee.

It depends on the gas station. Around here it's not horrible. The two stations I use most often serve Dunking Donuts and Green Mountain coffee respectively, neither of which are heavy favorites of mine, but both of which are drinkable.

I could do without those thermos jugs they use rather than a burner, though. But I notice that the newer ones have timers on them that tell you how long the coffee's been sitting there. On one station you can also toggle the display to a thermometer. Or you can ask the clerk which blend is freshest.

I'm told that coffee is one of the highest profit items for the gas stations around here, so they tend to respect it. They barely break even on the gas, or at least so I'm told, so they need people to buy the coffee to stay in business. It's actually rarer for me to get an undrinkable cup of gas station coffee up here than it was when I lived downstate.

Rich

I know everyone hates it, and I have personal reasons for disliking it as well, but I think Starbucks has some decent offerings.

Hating starbucks seems to be the fashionable thing to do. I like to try other non-starbucks places, but either their coffee sucks, their employees are slow or their internet doesn't work. I can go into a starbucks pretty much anywhere, get my drink in good time and have a low latency internet connection that works with VPN applications.

caramel-macchiato-frappuccino.jpg

Hi, my name's Stevie, and I very much enjoy delicious, carmelly, whip-creamy, wonderful coffee drinks.

EDIT: oooops, if that's the cold one, not so much, I like the hot ones:
o-COFFEE-570.jpg

Last edited:
Back