Boiled peanuts

Boiled peanuts, who likes, dislikes, and how do you prepare them?

• Love me some boiled peanuts!

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • WTF who ever heard of boiling peanuts?! (for you yankees)

Votes: 4 8.9%
  • You people down south eat some weird stuff!

Votes: 10 22.2%
  • Beer and boiled peanuts party! Hell yeah!

Votes: 10 22.2%

• Total voters
They smell like 3week old sweaty gym socks, but are quite tasty. especially spicy, and especially with beer or bourbon.

They're good when fresh and hit. Cooked to death, canned and trucked around--no thanks, I'll pass.

The best ones are sold by locals, cooked in a big cast iron "cannibal stew pot" in the side of the road, they appear in the southern Appalachians in the fall when the leaf peepers are driving through. Good stuff!

^^THIS. I miss getting me some hot boiled peanuts and sitting on the porch with the sweet mountain breeze.

Possum, I can only get Virginia peanuts here in Ohio. What gives? South Carolina peanuts too privileged to come here? lol Thanks for posting those pics. Interesting to see.
Ha! We actually grow "Virginia" peanuts here in South Carolina. The Virginia name is a variety of peanut that is primarily grown in VA, NC, SC and a few in TX. It is a much smaller market than "runners" or "Spanish" peanuts. Virginia peanuts are primarily used for the whole shell market [think of a bag of roasted peanuts you buy at the ball game] but are great for boiling. We do get a slight premium for our nuts over the runners. So when you buy Virginia peanuts you are buying a variety as opposed to a state where they were produced.

Start RANT//Been in the Carolinas for over 25 years... and still say "YUCK!" people down here know how to ruin some classic tastes, including pizza. And I haven't had a fresh slice of store-bought bread since I've been here...Is it possible to bake stale bread? They've figured out a way down here.... But love the sunshine and mild winters compared to New York. By the way, I still don't know why it takes so long for traffic to start moving on a green light... It's like drivers ED teaches people to count to 10 (slowly) before moving.\\END RANT

By the way, I still don't know why it takes so long for traffic to start moving on a green light... It's like drivers ED teaches people to count to 10 (slowly) before moving.\\END RANT

Maybe they're ensuring no one is running the red light on the other street? I always pause a few seconds and clear both ways. No T-bone for me, once is enough.

Start RANT//Been in the Carolinas for over 25 years... and still say "YUCK!" people down here know how to ruin some classic tastes, including pizza. And I haven't had a fresh slice of store-bought bread since I've been here...Is it possible to bake stale bread? They've figured out a way down here.... But love the sunshine and mild winters compared to New York. By the way, I still don't know why it takes so long for traffic to start moving on a green light... It's like drivers ED teaches people to count to 10 (slowly) before moving.\\END RANT

:rofl::yes: Got to agree with traffic comment and the pizza one to some extent. Not being a big bread eater, I hadn't noticed the stale bread issue. But yep, the weather is pretty damn nice and there are other benefits to being here versus every other state that I have ever lived in.

:rofl::yes: Got to agree with traffic comment . . . But yep, the weather is pretty damn nice and there are other benefits to being here versus every other state that I have ever lived in.

Yeah, I didn't mind running around this weekend in my cargo shorts! Traffic is only bad in the Big City, and Charlotte is worse than most. Last time I lived in NC, I preferred driving 2 hours north to Raleigh over 2 hours west to Charlotte even though shopping choices were more limited, just to avoid the awful traffic. Charlotte is actually worse than Atlanta, where at least most people drive at or over the speed limit.

Now, I live out from a town of 1000 people, and work a little ways away, in a city of 5000 souls. Ain't no traffic here, but sometimes there will be 10-15 cars at one traffic light heading home from work.

Pizza varies everywhere, but there are no family pizza places here, and the only one that delivers (but not to where I live) is the Hut, no thanks! There's a new Pieology a couple of counties away that I need to go try.

If you want fresh bread, get the stuff the grocery store bakes themselves. If that's not fresh enough, there's always New York . . . ;)

Ha! We actually grow "Virginia" peanuts here in South Carolina. The Virginia name is a variety of peanut that is primarily grown in VA, NC, SC and a few in TX. It is a much smaller market than "runners" or "Spanish" peanuts. Virginia peanuts are primarily used for the whole shell market [think of a bag of roasted peanuts you buy at the ball game] but are great for boiling. We do get a slight premium for our nuts over the runners. So when you buy Virginia peanuts you are buying a variety as opposed to a state where they were produced.
We grow the Virginia variety in our Ky garden also. Yummy. We spice the salt water up a bit.

Peanuts are great. You can, of course, ruin them by boiling them.

I've only had them fresh out of the...boiler I guess..at a couple roadside stands in NC (southern enough?) and I think they taste like salted pencil erasers.

Nauga,
and brown rubber
Why did you ever taste salted pencil erasers?

It would always tickle me to be in the southeast and hear people selling... "bold" peanuts.....:confused: :)

Thus get its own poll, but how many of you have poured peanuts into a Coke before.

That's supposed to be some sort if old school southern thing as well. I tried it once.

Meh.

Thus get its own poll, but how many of you have poured peanuts into a Coke before.

That's supposed to be some sort if old school southern thing as well. I tried it once.

Meh.

Yup. Tried it once myself and didn't see the point of it either.

Absolutely love me some "BoilT" peanuts. I prefer freshly picked with a little heat but I will even eat them from the can. I prefer Allen's over Peanut Patch but I can't get them everywhere. I don't know Allen's variety but they sure are of better quality and larger.

Peanuts in a coke? Absolutely loved it as a kid. Not so much now, fake coke's and all. Those 6 oz or were they 6 1/2oz bottles were wickedly strong and burned your throat as they went down. Add those salted peanuts and you had yourself a nice treat!

For some reason, we got in trouble for putting peanuts in our Coke. And yes, those 6 1/2 ounce bottles packed some punch. If my parents weren't watching I would drink 4 or 5 bottles would be running all day....

Peanuts are protein. Meat is protein. Boiled meat is OK but roasted meat is better. Therefore roasted peanuts are better than boiled peanuts.

Asian cultures have boiled peanuts added to their rice porridge (congee) or added to a simple syrup as a desert. Both taste great... so long as you don't have an peanut allergy. Then you're probably going to be hurting for an epi-pen.

Never had 'em, but never found anything particularly wrong with the raw ones that would make me want to boil them.

Peanuts are protein. Meat is protein. Boiled meat is OK but roasted meat is better. Therefore roasted peanuts are better than boiled peanuts.

Peanuts come from plants. Meat comes from animals. Boiled plants are better than roasted plants . . .

Analogies are easy to make, more difficult to make correct. I like boiled and roasted peanuts (just don't do both to the same batch!).

I like roasted corn, roasted peppers, roasted cauliflower, roasted potatoes, roasted eggplant...

Easy guys, no reason to get banned for being a little nippy with each other. Besides, this thread is about nuts.

Actually peanuts are a legume, not a nut. I prefer 'legs' myself. But a nice stack of legs with some good melons are a great combo

Um... no.

Boiled cabbage is good, can't say I've ever tried it roasted. Lettuce is better raw, but roasted wouldn't be worth the effort to prepare. Onions are good boiled/simmered in soup. Taters are good roasted, but the best mashed taters start off peeled and boiled. Etc.

Back