Blunders in the cockpit - share yours

Again, I agree this is not news-worthy but doing the wrong thing right after explaining how to do the right thing is embarrassing (to me)
So, what was the mistake? Checking in with too much info, or reporting the wrong position? I still haven't figured it out.

Don't ask how many times I've said "Cess... um ... Cher .... um ... KingAir ...".
Best solution?
"Novermber 12345". ;)

I find myself giving wrong CAP callsigns all the FN time, even when I'm flying a rental.

Once, I even gave my usual callsign while flying another airplane, and my usual airplane was at the same airport on frequency at the same time. The pilot let me know.

There is a reason the callsign is on the instrument panel.

Ever had a kid tell you he has to pee NOW at 5000 feet?

"I need to pee NOW!"
"Then pee in the bottle."
"I can't it won't come out."
"Then sit and wait."
"But I need to pee!"
"Then sit and wait."
"But I need to pee!"

"I need to pee NOW!"
"Then sit and wait."
"But I need to pee!"
"Then sit and wait."
"But I need to pee!"

Don't try that with a girl.

So, what was the mistake? Checking in with too much info, or reporting the wrong position? I still haven't figured it out.
It was the wrong information to check in with. Altitude and position is normally used on initial call-up if not in the system yet (radar identified etc).
As I explained to the student next to me, once assigned an approach from the approach controller and handed off to tower, the pilot checks in with the assigned approach. (which tells the controller pretty much where you are anyway)
Just as I finished explaining to the student how to do it right, I did it wrong.
I might have as well told him "watch this, that's how NOT to do it ..." :D
Get it now? :)

Well I guess you're harder on yourself than I am. The towers I'm most familiar with aren't seeing you on radar. They get the handoff and know roughly where you are coming from, but if there is other traffic they are coordinating it can help to give them a better idea of where you are. Like I said, sometimes there is a delay between the handoff and the check-in. I am often asked to report FAF because they are managing VFR traffic in the pattern, so I just always check in with DME. In the military, it is very common to report altitude over a GRP on check in with tower. That's why I wasn't seeing the mistake.

Well I guess you're harder on yourself than I am. The towers I'm most familiar with aren't seeing you on radar. They get the handoff and know roughly where you are coming from, but if there is other traffic they are coordinating it can help to give them a better idea of where you are. Like I said, sometimes there is a delay between the handoff and the check-in. I am often asked to report FAF because they are managing VFR traffic in the pattern, so I just always check in with DME. In the military, it is very common to report altitude over a GRP on check in with tower. That's why I wasn't seeing the mistake.
True, I am hard on myself (as I explained earlier). I strive for perfection but it keeps escaping me. ;)
This was Charlie airspace over an Intl airport I was flying to. Not a podunk tower. (the 17L was a big hint)
But even our podunk tower at the other airport is happy when somebody is handed off and reports "RNAV 18 IGGBY".
But I agree that a handoff to a lone Delta tower is different than in a terminal area (where I was).
I guess I like doing things right and sounding professional, it fools everyone around into thinking that I am good at what I do. :D

Flying out solo to pick up someone to bring home, I rented a C172 I hadn't flown in a while. On taxiing out I hear a faint and infrequent intermittent "tink" noise. Hm, I don't remember that the last time I flew this plane. Or do I? Take-off, cruise and landing were uneventful, but rolling out that "tink" noise came back. Oh well. Taxi to transient and running through my shutdown checklist, I pull the mixture. "vroom sputter sputter", the passenger door swings open on its own as if an invisible ghost were getting out. I guess I must've skipped the door check during the pre-takeoff checklist.

Well, I guess you could call this a blunder, on my private checkride last weekend, one of the first things I did on the flight portion was taxi out and start a turn towards the opposite end of the runway. My left turn looked more like a question mark ? 'you're other left....' says a voice in my head.

I was cleared for takeoff runway 27 at an intersection. Take the runway and off I go, until tower hollers "Bonanza 123 you're going the wrong way" (rolling on rwy 9), something like that. Stopped, turned around, "still cleared", yup tower says, and off I go again.

Last edited:
Don't ask how many times I've said "Cess... um ... Cher .... um ... KingAir ...".
Best solution?
"Novermber 12345". ;)

I was flying a Bonanza and called for taxi, except I used "Acee 60Q taxi", GC laughs and says we know where you work! "Acee" was the call sign of the airline I was employed at, and we served this airport so they knew the call sign.

So many more during my career the last 42+ years.

Last edited:
True, I am hard on myself (as I explained earlier). I strive for perfection but it keeps escaping me. ;)
This was Charlie airspace over an Intl airport I was flying to. Not a podunk tower. (the 17L was a big hint)
But even our podunk tower at the other airport is happy when somebody is handed off and reports "RNAV 18 IGGBY".
But I agree that a handoff to a lone Delta tower is different than in a terminal area (where I was).
I guess I like doing things right and sounding professional, it fools everyone around into thinking that I am good at what I do. :D
Parallel runways are not at all an indicator of a large airport. There are several counterexamples in my area. KLVK, KNUQ, KRHV, KHWD, KSCK, KMOD, and KMHR are all Class D airports within 100 miles, with parallel runways.

Parallel runways are not at all an indicator of a large airport. There are several counterexamples in my area. KLVK, KNUQ, KRHV, KHWD, KSCK, KMOD, and KMHR are all Class D airports within 100 miles, with parallel runways.
I was going to look a couple up near me, but you saved me the effort!

Left my ipad beside the compass while I set the DG. Did ya'll know that the speakers in the ipad have magnets, who would of thought? Shortly after takeoff ATC gave me a vector for traffic, which I immediately complied with. Could not understand why the ATC guy was mad at me saying that I was going the wrong way. Did not realize my mistake until on the ground. The DG was 90 degrees out!
I always cross check the dg with runway heading before starting the takeoff. It helps with this sort of thing.

I always cross check the dg with runway heading before starting the takeoff. It helps with this sort of thing.

Yup, after the COMAIR crash in KLEX it became mandatory to verify like 3 different methods (signs, w/ the FO, & on the rwy) of the correct runway at the airline I was at. But I always did what you wrote anyway, checked it against the runway I intended to takeoff on. (except one time as I mentioned on another post).

You should try to lock up an old CAP steam gauge airplane.

They call it the "iron maiden," and getting one of those installed correctly is a rite of passage....

It's a nice device -- protects the radio stack from theft and locks all the knobs all the way out (i.e., idle cutoff), as well as functioning as a gust lock. But it's a bit over the top.
By the way, I heard that my squadron is going to be getting a round-dial 206 (the one from WHP), and the 182 is going to be transferred closer to where the glider flights take place.

Yeah but when it comes to phraseology, "right" is very subjective. There's very little wrong you can do when it comes to ATC comms. ATC has standard phraseology that they must use by order. On the pilot side, we just have guidance and that guidance doesn't even cover all scenarios. In your particular example, the only thing I would say you did wrong, was not using facility ID when checking in with tower. As far as position and altitude? Yeah, that's fluff that a class C tower already knows but definitely not a blunder.

My first solo landing was three for the price of one, due to a heck of a pilot-induced-oscillation. :oops: I never did that again! (My second was considerably better, and my third was textbook.)

Later on, during one of my supervised solos, I did a touch-and-go, because I forgot that I wasn't supposed to do those while solo. I also forgot to raise the flaps before pushing in the throttle, with the result that the plane popped up in the air! After the flight, my instructor told me I got a demerit for that, but that I got a hundred points for lowering the nose.

By the way, I heard that my squadron is going to be getting a round-dial 206 (the one from WHP), and the 182 is going to be transferred closer to where the glider flights take place.

I've heard it as well, along with a statement "You'll have to check out in it." OK. Last I heard, the 182 was going to Livermore, not far away. Most of the tow pilots live right around there. Today, we're trading our plane with Concord's as part of the associated Musical Airplanes.

I've heard it as well, along with a statement "You'll have to check out in it." OK. Last I heard, the 182 was going to Livermore, not far away. Most of the tow pilots live right around there. Today, we're trading our plane with Concord's as part of the associated Musical Airplanes.
I found some 206 manuals on line in case you want to get a head start. (They're the right suffix, but different years.)

http://www.redcliffeaeroclub.com.au/files/aircraft/C206G_POH.pdf

https://www.scribd.com/document/29994912/Cessna-Stationair-U206G-POH-1981

https://www.redskyventures.org/doc/cessna-poh/Cessna_206_C206G_1976_POH_scanned_deidentified.pdf

I took off once with full up elevator trim. I thought, "Geez, that was a short takeoff roll!" followed by a lot of forward stick pressure to shallow out the climb. Checklist was changed pronto. :D:D

I took off once with full up elevator trim. I thought, "Geez, that was a short takeoff roll!" followed by a lot of forward stick pressure to shallow out the climb. Checklist was changed pronto. :D:D

I've gotten into the habit of setting the trim for takeoff as soon as I open the door, before I even remove the control lock. I also check it as part of the before takeoff checklist.

I've gotten into the habit of setting the trim for takeoff as soon as I open the door, before I even remove the control lock. I also check it as part of the before takeoff checklist.

Yeah, it was on my takeoff checklist too, but this was after a landing/taxi back/takeoff situation. As a result, I made an abbreviated "reset checklist" page for use in that same scenario, which includes resetting elevator and aileron trims.

Yeah, it was on my takeoff checklist too, but this was after a landing/taxi back/takeoff situation. As a result, I made an abbreviated "reset checklist" page for use in that same scenario, which includes resetting elevator and aileron trims.

RVs have aileron trim? Dang.

RVs have aileron trim? Dang.

Yeah, some guys go electric, but I've got the manual lever between the seats. Right wing is a little heavy with fuel topped off in both tanks, but the trim takes care of it.

One rather embarrassing moment was failing to get an older Cherokee started. It fired but stalled several times. Naturally, I had an audience. Half way back to the shop I realized the mixture control was hidden on the far right side of the panel. I waited for the audience to leave before I went back and started it. :oops:

Ok, self confession time.

Once, as a flight instructor doing a cross country with a student, I fell asleep. For about 5 minutes.

I drove a fire truck for a few years - the driver ends up being the pump operator. You control the main pump pressure with the throttle at the pump panel. It's was a vernier style throttle control like the mixture control on s plane (old 1978 American LaFrance). But RPMs go up when you twist it out and to kill RPM you push the button on the front and firewall it in order to go to idle.

For the first 10 hours or so of training, every once in a while when my workload was high (for a student), I would push the throttle in by habit to decrease RPM...

Very recently, I saw my destination waypoint on the GPS and I was right on top of the airport and I was still at 11.5 level. I was like, oh crap. Pulled power, pointed it down and into a 1500 FPM decent. Leveled off at pattern alt and the realized I as still at 48 miles from destination. Had it zoomed way the hell out when I was looking at nexrad and didn't zoom back in.

Oops.

If you have not read the entire report on the eastern 1011 that went into the swamp trying to land near Miami you should. A truly amazing screw up by high time pros. Tragic!

Ok, self confession time.

Once, as a flight instructor doing a cross country with a student, I fell asleep. For about 5 minutes.
Ha, must have been a decent student, you probably wouldn't have if he had been bobbing and weaving all over.

Had someone puke in their hat

Had someone fill up a ziplock with puke, big boy

Had someone puke out the window, no barf bag, didn't turn out half bad, dude cleaned the plane after we landed, I got lunch, I could smell he had BBQ and I totally forgot about that sweet BBQ joint.

Couple flat tires

Had to go missed a few times.

Dropped a pen
Heck, I had a guy take a dump in his briefcase.

Was flying right seat in a TBM in the flight levels. I was doing radio work and always said cherokee..er tbm xxxxx Flxx..
Based on the latest news report, every airplane is a Cessna even when PIPIER is painted on the tail.
My best radio fubar was calling 'Norwood tower, N4412A, inbound for landing." they gave me clear to land then announced they were closing for the night. It was then I noticed the tag stating we're in N45321. I became N45321 on final. I'd flown all night as 12A. The instructor was in the right seat the whole time.
Cranked the engine with the mixture pushed in. Flooded the engine in the process. Wore the battery down to where it would not crank. Found a mechanic to come out and hand prop. Went one more time with the starter as the mechanic was watching. Started right up. Best part is I've done this a couple of times, usually with pax all set to go. A few newbies who are nervous enough about flying "little airplanes".

Not my screwup but a charter pilot I knew couldn't get the engines started on a 421. After he deplaned his pax, I went aboard and turned the fuel selectors on and told him to try again. BINGO! I can't imagine his pax had much confidence in him after that.

We once had a guy climb out of his jet with both engines running. This was on a carrier so it's more understandable, but he just forgot to shut them down. I don't know if he did his post flight walk around or not, but about 15min later maintenance came downstairs and told him his jet was still turning. They noticed it after every one else shutdown and it got quiet. He was kind of shaken up after a bad night landing and his mind was elsewhere.

I set my parking brake for my run up, and forgot to release it. Got about half way to the runway before I mentioned to the instructor something didn't feel right. We taxied back to maintenance and when I reached to set the brake for shut down I realized what happened. Now I verbally announce " parking brake released" each time. Surprisingly my instructor still felt comfortable enough to hop out after a few laps for my first solo

My second solo (first from start up to shut down) I made my radio calls, and after a lap or 2 I realized it was awfully quiet on the air that day. I saw my radio wasn't set up right, so I got it set to comm2, but still didn't hear anyone else talking. Took a few more laps to realize the volume on the radio was all the way down.:blush:

I set my parking brake for my run up, and forgot to release it. Got about half way to the runway before I mentioned to the instructor something didn't feel right. We taxied back to maintenance and when I reached to set the brake for shut down I realized what happened. Now I verbally announce " parking brake released" each time. Surprisingly my instructor still felt comfortable enough to hop out after a few laps for my first solo

My second solo (first from start up to shut down) I made my radio calls, and after a lap or 2 I realized it was awfully quiet on the air that day. I saw my radio wasn't set up right, so I got it set to comm2, but still didn't hear anyone else talking. Took a few more laps to realize the volume on the radio was all the way down.:blush:
My new to me plane's radio starts on 121.5, ALWAYS. I have found me making departure calls there. Fortunately, I've never waited long enough to hear the Guard cops B&M "YOU'RE ON GUARD!"

My new to me plane's radio starts on 121.5, ALWAYS. I have found me making departure calls there. Fortunately, I've never waited long enough to hear the Guard cops B&M "YOU'RE ON GUARD!"
Had the same problem in an unfamiliar airplane. I flew it, shut down, started up later and made a couple calls. Realized I was on 121.5. Doh!

Back