Blunders in the cockpit - share yours

Perhaps I can help:

He was handed off to tower by approach. Instead of simply checking in with the tower along the lines of "Podunk tower, Compassion XYZ on visual 17L." he gave his position and altitude; two things of which the tower already knows. This AFTER he had explained to a student proper radio technique.

Another one of mine. My Cherokee has two jacks for headsets (five actually if you count the two in back) one old one in the panel on the pilot's side which aren't wired to anything and two on the side panels. I was flying a friend of mine and was flying formation with another friend with my passenger's wife and her brother. I plugged my headset into the old jack in the panel and couldn't figure out why I couldn't hear anything. May passenger said he could hear everything except me. By this time my friend had already taxied out and finished his run up and was waiting on me. I shut down and was trying to figure out why my headset wasn't working when it dawned on me that I was in the wrong jack.

Perhaps I can help:

He was handed off to tower by approach. Instead of simply checking in with the tower along the lines of "Podunk tower, Compassion XYZ on visual 17L." he gave his position and altitude; two things of which the tower already knows. This AFTER he had explained to a student proper radio technique.
A little more exact perhaps: he said he was cleared for the visual (IFR) and reported in as if VFR.

Too many to name....

One notable that a friend of mine did.. the crossfeed switch is right next to the Oxygen switch in one of my old airplanes. He went to crossfeed, but instead he dropped the rubber jungle in the back.
I found out the hard way that the cabin heat knob on a Skycatcher is very near to the fuel shutoff knob. This resulted in my one and only forced landing. :oops:

Fortunately, I was within easy reach of a runway at the time.

I found out the hard way that the cabin heat knob on a Skycatcher is very near to the fuel shutoff knob. This resulted in my one and only forced landing. :oops:

Fortunately, I was within easy reach of a runway at the time.
That reminds me of one in the 'kota. The boost pump switch is right beside the landing light switch. The boost pump has no standby function in the aircraft and affects mixture. The engine died on rollout because landing calls for full rich mixture and I was at the highest public use airport in the US. Full rich with boost on is just a little too much fuel for idle...it was at a fly-in...I got it started again before coasting to a stop...I was totally eyes-out on arrival and switched on the landing light by feel or thought I did.

Can't say I learned the lesson either. The wingtip landing light switch is beside the Aspen master switch...juggling a coffee cup on departure from Evanston, WY, bright and early one morning I switched off the Aspen instead of turning on the lights...on climb-out the Aspen goes dark...

It's going to be easier to quote and agree than make my own list. LOL.

I dropped my pen once. Boy was that a disaster. I had to get my backup pen and everything.

This. Of course. And the iPad disappearing somewhere under the seat when it was dropped while trying to brief an approach under the hood.

Forgot that things expand as we go up. Gave the flight controls to Mrs. 6PC, and opened the little salsa cup to give my burrito the required amount of pizzaz. I gave us all a salsa shower instead.

Watched a guy open a Mio thingy to add to his water bottle in slow motion, knowing he was about to spray us all with concentrated red cherry flavored juice. Didn't say anything. Got sprayed. Helped clean up the airplane later.

Ever had a kid tell you he has to pee NOW at 5000 feet?

I've had fun explaining to a CAP backseater why potato chips are a bad idea for high bird (radio relay) duty.

Wife said that over Alamosa one day. Told Center we needed to land. They got all "terrorist watch" on me and wanted an explanation. Stupidly said "Bio-break". That got them even more suspicious. Karen is still mad that I finally blurted out, "My wife has to pee!" to every airplane on frequency for a couple hundred miles. Haha.

Had someone puke in their hat

Had someone fill up a ziplock with puke, big boy

Two pukers. One a good friend's girlfriend (now wife for 15 years) who was trying to show how tough she was. Didn't tell us she gets sick in cars nearly every road trip. Barfed in her sweatshirt on short final after she told me she didn't feel well and I diverted immediately to an airport. If I had asked for and accepted a tiny downwind landing, she'd have gotten it out the door onto the runway or taxiway. Oh well.

Second was a pilot buddy. He was self-grounded for a head cold and tummy decided it wasn't happy with being fed only his antibiotics and coffee that afternoon. He at least knew how the little blue airsickness bags work and got the real bag out and open and got every last bit of it into that thing. Airplane smelled like coffee and something that hinted of BBQ also, and I never figured out why.

Accidentally pushed a rudder pedal at 140 kts. Got my pilot friend's attention in a hurry. :oops:

Ooh! Haven't done that one yet, but that'd be sporty!

One hot day I left my door & window open to circulate some air while parked outside. As I gained speed on the departure runway, suddenly a wasp flew up hit me in the chest, and fell on the seat between my legs. Oh SHIITE!

Mine was still alive. He decided to land and stay over on the Pax side glareshield after I gently shooed him away trying not to make him mad. I landed and opened the Pax door and shooed him outside.

And I've also done a sundown departure out of Iowa City where the entire sky filled with thousands of mosquitos. My co-owner and I dove in the airplane with what I would describe as a "minimalist preflight" and started up fast and began taxiing. They were coming in by the dozens through the vents so we closed them and then proceeded to smash them all against the inside of the windshield for the entire taxi. Runup was nice and quick and we got the hell out of there.

Was told to contract departure, swapped channels on the radio, made my call and somehow I was talking to ground. Duh! I was using the wrong radio.

Did that two weeks ago during the charity event. Talking to the kids and their dad in the backseat. Explaining everything I'm doing and what's next. Finish speech about "now it's time to call the tower and get permission to fly! Is everyone ready?" (Yay! Ready... they say...) We go fly, land and I say, "Okay now we talk to ground again to get permission to go back to the hangar..." (yay! Great flight...)

"Ground, Kid Flight 79M is at (blah), taxi to Xjet..."

"You're on tower."

Pffffffftttttt all the air goes out of my Joe Cool balloon head. Hahaha.

Had an IA over to look at some work and sign off the 337. Took him back to his home field with one of the club's 172s. Shut down on his ramp and he hopped out. I discovered on takeoff that the pax seatbelt was hanging out of the door. This was before headsets were the norm and the loud banging noise, amplified by the handheld mic, made it hard for the tower controller to understand me. I aborted, and cleared the runway about mid-field. Other than my wounded pride, there was no apparent damage.

Didn't make it into the air quite but heard one banging during taxi. Also have done the slam, slam, slam... "why won't this f***ing door close?!" and then see the belt hanging down there. Argh...

I did all three laps on my first solo with the cargo door hanging open. No one noticed it, not my instructor, not Tower, and certainly not me. Nothing missing afterward. That's the aviation equivalent of leaving your fly open....

My co-owner likes to leave those unlocked. Says he's going to exit the aircraft someday in a crash through it or somesuch. (Personally if I found myself in the baggage compartment I think I will kick out the rear window myself. But I digress...) So that sets me up for leaving it wide open one fine day. Mostly glad the towbar didn't fall out in turbulence and bean someone or something. Or maybe more ironically, the first aid kit? LOL.

Took off in a Stearman and hadn't fully screwed the oil cap in. Miraculously, the FBO managed to find the oil cap on the runway.

Put the dipstick back in but didn't screw it tight. Realized what I had done as the nice new clean oil after the oil change started splattering on the windshield. Damn that makes a mess in the engine compartment. At least it was clean.

Very difficult to taxi over a nose wheel chock.

Started to add power and felt the airplane not move to start my Instrument ride. Managed to not go over it, shut down, and start over. DPE laughed at me. "Nervous?"

I cut the cheese once and blamed it on someone else. We were in a C150.

Initial CFI and I did that a few times. Probably one of the other reasons besides DA that we moved to a Skyhawk. Well that and our coziness was a bit much and his knees were in his face.

Cranking the engine over and over and wondering why it won't start. Skipped over the "fuel shutoff valve" on the checklist.

One Seminole flight we taxiied over to self serve. Filled up. Got in. Started cranking away and the thing wouldn't start. CFI says he will try and I'm cranking away and after about three attempts on each engine I sheepishly stop cranking and say, "I know why it won't start..." and made a big hand movement so he could see... and flipped the mags on. He started laughing. "That'll do it!"

Too many to name....

One notable that a friend of mine did.. the crossfeed switch is right next to the Oxygen switch in one of my old airplanes. He went to crossfeed, but instead he dropped the rubber jungle in the back.

Definitely haven't done that but that's funny as hell.

I think at some point in my flying past I have moved every control, switch, knob, lever on every airplane flown incorrectly or innappropriately, or the wrong direction. (Well maybe not the firewall shutoff or mask drop.)

Maybe the trick is to goof up in such a way that avoids calamity - ie give yourself enough time to reverse your next mistake.

Let's see.

First or second solo flight out to the practice area I was jazzed and singing to myself (Elton John's "I guess That's Why They Call it the Blues"). When I started back in I realized I'd had a stuck mic. I'd been serenading the entire frequency for 1/2 hour. Forced them to move to the alternate tower frequency. :oops: After I landed and received my taxi instructions from ground, the controller said "Thanks for the karaoke"

On my private check ride, I left the oil door open on top of the cowling. Started the plane, looked out and uh-oh. Shut down, got out and closed the door. DPE got a chuckle out of that.

A couple of weeks after my check ride, I was getting checked out in the club's C-172S. Called ground three times with no answer. Then the CFI said "That's the auto-pilot disconnect. PTT is here."

One that actually rattled my confidence and almost made me not go fly: I was starting the C-172C. I'd get it to start (with some difficulty) by going full throttle and mixture off (flooded procedure) and then it would die when I pulled the throttle and pushed in the mixture. Happened 3 or 4 times. Then I realized I was reversing the controls: full rich mixture and closed throttle to start then pulling the mixture and opening the throttle which killed it every time (go figure!). Once I figured out what I was doing wrong, I stopped and sat in the cockpit for a few minutes to collect myself and see if I was really ready to go fly. The rest of the flight went without a hitch, thankfully.

John

I recently broadcast "traffic in sight" when approaching the home drome, following a garbled call by a Cessna. Turns out it was a building near the field, just the right azimuth to look like another plane in the pattern. Apparently he had already landed.

Turns around a tiedown. I've done that.

Flew 2 hrs in a 172 with the oil cap off. That was a mess.

Forgot to remove chocks.. Twice with another pilot onboard both times.

Perhaps I can help:

Looks like a wrong position report. Could be a tad clearer perhaps.

Perhaps I can help:
he gave his position and altitude; two things of which the tower already knows.

I was thinking that but it seemed pretty benign to start off the thread. Anyway, thank you for spelling out out for the dense like me. The OP needs to make a bigger blunder for us to read about. Haha

Did a really quick dash and depart from an airshow at an uncontrolled airfield, trying to beat the crowds back home. Could not get tower to talk to me as I got close to home drome. I managed to find the mic plug was not fully seated just before decision point to circle outside Class D and troubleshoot.

Perhaps I can help:

I almost always give my DME on the switch to tower. Sometimes I'm delayed in the switch as it usually comes about the time I need to configure and run the checklist. If that's a facepalm, I'm not sure what you'd call my real mistakes.;)

Really hot day, taxi with Cherokee door open and take off in the same configuration. Stayed in the pattern, landed, taxied with said door still open and managed to remember to close and lock it before repeating the exercise.

Bit noisy but nice breeze while airborne.

Cheers

They warned us about that in initial... I think your old airplane must have a similar panel setup to my current airplane.

I had just gotten back from initial in my first jet (different than the one I mentioned above). I was supposed to meet another pilot who was going to go over the real airplane with me. I didn't want to turn on the master without supervision so I was checking out the knobs and found out that you can drop the rubber jungle without power on the airplane. :redface:

I almost always give my DME on the switch to tower. Sometimes I'm delayed in the switch as it usually comes about the time I need to configure and run the checklist. If that's a facepalm, I'm not sure what you'd call my real mistakes.;)

Thing is, there's nothing standardized in the phraseology. The OPs case, yeah good chance a handoff was done but not every tower has radar or even certified displays to accept a handoff. Some have them and they still can't use them for the transfer of radar ID. Therefore, the controller might very well require a position report. Altitude at check in isn't important but I wouldn't call it a face palm either. The OP might think not checking with what type of approach was a face palm but even that isn't important. It's already been coordinated by approach and either on strip or by LOA, in the ARTS tag.

Last edited:
As a student in the pattern my instructor said to pull some more throttle out...I pulled the mixture all the way out turning final. By the time I heard him yell NOOOO I shoved it back in with nary a hiccup.

Just left a flyin where I ate copious amounts of food. Wife and I in the plane and my stomach started to wrench. I didn't say a word but had to expell some gas. It was the most foul smelling and my wife about jumped out of the plane and was making faces to the plane next to us. In my uncontrollable laughing and her ****ed off look she may have keyed the mic and ratted me out to my buddies over unicom.

And lastly I dropped my chapstick once...that in and of itself is grounds to call approach and make a diversion. Thankfully my pax had found it and it was a non event.

After trying to put the throttle lock on for five minutes, I realized that I was trying to put it on the mixture. Hey, they were both red!

Perhaps I can help:

Hmm, I wouldn't call giving too much info a blunder worthy of a face palm. I think I did this a couple of times over the weekend on handoffs between various approach controllers. Might it not beneficially trigger an altimeter check query if I give them an altitude that doesn't match where they think I'm at? Thanks for pointing this out.

Last edited:
Me: "Napa tower, Arrow 123SA is ready for departure to the southwest."

Exec tower: "I guess I know where you're going."

Newly minted certificate, but I hadn't flown in a couple of months. I had been flying a 172, but it was down for something or other. Rented a ratty flight school Cherokee and went for a spin. Since I knew I was rusty, I paid extra attention to the checklists and got off the ground OK. Climbed out and leveled off to go play around a little... reached over with all that good Cessna 172 muscle memory and pulled the throttle out... Nope. That was the mixture knob. It got really quiet for a second or two.

More recently I was flying along and felt a breeze up my shirt sleeve... boy, that feels nice, but I hadn't noticed it before. Hey, there's an inch of daylight between the cockpit side rail and the canopy, too. Pretty sure that's not right. I guess it could be from someone leaving the canopy partly unlatched. I suppose I should land and fix that...

Flew to Nashville BNA to pick up a dead body, my first one, in a Lance. Turns out it was a 10 yo boy who had heart problems. Hearse drives up to the plane in full view of the huge FBO window, full of corporate pilots all looking at us, and we load him up. Call CD and then GC to taxi. Crapppppppppp! Chocks were still in place, shut down, remove chocks and call GC again.

After trying to put the throttle lock on for five minutes, I realized that I was trying to put it on the mixture. Hey, they were both red!

You should try to lock up an old CAP steam gauge airplane.

They call it the "iron maiden," and getting one of those installed correctly is a rite of passage....

It's a nice device -- protects the radio stack from theft and locks all the knobs all the way out (i.e., idle cutoff), as well as functioning as a gust lock. But it's a bit over the top.

Countless oops...

On my first solo, I overleaned on taxi-back and killed the engine. The instructor motioned me to continue. I was surprised by that!

On an Oakland transition with pax, I let myself drift high as I chatted with the pax and pointed out the sights. Tower gave me a friendly reminder to actually stay below 1400'. Startled by my lapse, I gave it a push-over to drop a quick 200'. Forgetting that I had 3 newbie passengers in the plane. The pax in the right seat grabbed for the controls as the plane got light. It lasted for only a few seconds, but it was a definite pucker moment. Everyone got real quiet as I calmed down.

My most recent was flying into Petaluma. I scolded a plane in my head for landing with no announcements on CTAF. And then a second plane did the same. That's weird, two making no announcements? I was turning base when I figured out my radio volume was turned down. I apologized to the guy in a yellow RV who landed behind me!

Many more...

My most recent was flying into Petaluma. I scolded a plane in my head for landing with no announcements on CTAF. And then a second plane did the same. That's weird, two making no announcements? I was turning base when I figured out my radio volume was turned down. I apologized to the guy in a yellow RV who landed behind me!

Many more...

There are always odd radio moments at O69. Just a few days ago, I flew a practice VOR approach there. Contacted CTAF, reported "CAP 448 5 miles east at 2000 on VOR approach, modified straight-in to 29 full stop" and someone immediately got on frequency and asked how far out the VOR approach was. We all have brain farts from time to time.

The OP needs to make a bigger blunder for us to read about. Haha
That is always a possibility! :)

Hmm, I wouldn't call giving too much info a blunder worthy of a face palm.
To me, explaining how to do something right to a student and then doing the exact opposite, is facepalm worthy. I am a perfectionist and in my own opinion, I made a fool of myself.
Fortunately, the student was overwhelmed by all that was happening in the cockpit so he did not detect a problem.
Again, I agree this is not news-worthy but doing the wrong thing right after explaining how to do the right thing is embarrassing (to me).
AND to make things worse, I completely forgot to file an ASRS. I will be expecting black helicopters arriving shortly. :hairraise:

There you go, @BigBadLou you are a failure at being a failure. Go back to the good pilot section and leave us losers alone.
*pulls tail between hind legs, hangs head low and skulks away into shadows*
:D

Was flying right seat in a TBM in the flight levels. I was doing radio work and always said cherokee..er tbm xxxxx Flxx..

Okay, due to the overwhelming (two) complaints that my original post was not facepalm-worthy, here's another blunder, hope it satisfies those who seek satisfaction in others' mistakes. :D And this one was public. :)
(I already posted this one in the past but why not repost)

Taxiing out of the FBO at San Antonio Intl after dark, I got instructions "12R via Yankee, left on Foxtrot, hold short 12R". Easy peasy.
Complacency from taxiing at small airports with never more than 2 perpendicular taxiways per intersection, I am happily leaving the FBO on Yankee and when I see the Foxtrot sign and a wide open taxiway, I turn left.
Upon completion of my turn, I see the lit-up taxiway signs that say "G". Oops.
Being the only aircraft taxiing at the time (approx 9pm after dark), I did not see this as emergency but I remembered the good advice of my instructor (and myself) to not hide anything and fess up.
I called ground, notified them I accidentally turned onto Golf, facing westbound and asked how they would like me to proceed.
The ground controller came back with a confused "say what?"
I repeated the description of my mistake and the controller came back sounding absolutely unconcerned "just taxi via Golf, hold short 12R".
Problem solved.
Lessons learned were that I won't try to jump the gun on taxi turns and identify taxiways before turning and also that even though controllers might not care, it is still good to let them know I'm not where I'm supposed to be because it could cause trouble in the big picture. (if they had taxied out a jet heading eastbound on Golf)

Well, I guess you could call this a blunder, on my private checkride last weekend, one of the first things I did on the flight portion was taxi out and start a turn towards the opposite end of the runway. My left turn looked more like a question mark ? 'you're other left....' says a voice in my head.

Back