Blind rivets

Jdm

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Jdm
Any recommendations for aviation quality blind rivets to be used on fiberglass fairings? I’ve used Cherry Max in the past but that’s obviously over kill and hard to remove later.

Thanks.

Spruce has a wide selection of non-Cherry Max blind rivets.

Any recommendations for aviation quality blind rivets to be used on fiberglass fairings?
Not enough info to make the call. Could be anything from a pop rivet to a Cherry MS (bulb).

It's going into fiberglass?.....it's going to need a backer of some kind.

Rivets is how it was originally installed?
I would have thought machine or sheet metal screws.
The force of most rivets (plus small surface area) would tend to crush & crack your new fairings.
Not to mention removal for future inspections

Since they may be removed later a riv-nut may be a good application here.

Preferably the “keyed” type.

They were originally installed with blind rivets and need to continue with such in these areas. Cessna 152/172/182 rudder butt, horizontal stab tips, elevator tips, etc. Finerglass to aluminum in all cases.
Spruce has a nice selection of non cherry blind rivets. I’ve used them in other areas with good results.
Again, I think cherry max is excessive but I commonly find them in these locations when replacing. Prefer something of quality that’s easier to shoot and remove when the time comes. What type have you guys been using on these areas?

It’s the simple question of the day I know:) Just kinda been bugging me that I haven’t found a better solution for lightweight fiberglass applications such as these

AD42 aluminum pop rivets with steel mandrels work fine for many non-structural applications. They are TC spec on my Decathlon for several fairings and trim pieces.

What type have you guys been using on these areas?
The go to rivets for those applications has been Cherry MS rivets. Been the norm for decades. However the standard substitute has been a CherryMAX. Regardless the MS is still around and comes in oversize.
1699323730710.png

The go to rivets for those applications has been Cherry MS rivets. Been the norm for decades. However the standard substitute has been a CherryMAX. Regardless the MS is still around and comes in oversize.
View attachment 122143
Appreciate this. My Cherry supply is left overs from my airline days. All of which are CherryMax. I’ll order some MS ones for next time.

View attachment 122143
Those Cherry rivets attached all the elevator and horizontal stabilizer tips onto the 1968 Cessna 182 from the factory. Those Cherry part numbers are also spec'ed in a Cessna SB for adding MS470AD-4 rivets to the elevator balance weight skin at the forward spar, requiring R&R of the tip fairing for access.

I used a pile of these last year when replacing the tips on the 182, worked out well.

Reactions: Jdm
You want APEX rivets. Basically an aviation grade blind rivet that's good for both structural and non-structural parts depending on what you use. Not the same as a CherryMAX but also not as
spendy

Reactions: Jdm
Back