Blew my IR written

I guess you just don't have what it takes. :p

Congrats.

I'm pretty sure that's what I got too.

When the lady behind the desk said I got 92%, my face sunk, and I said "awwwwwwww". She was confused why I was bummed out with that score. I really tried to study my tush off and get the 100%.

I'm just beginning to study for the IR. I would take a 92 right now. Congrats!

A 92 means you wasted too much time studying...

You got a 92 on the questions you got that day. You may have scored lower or higher with a different set of questions. And as we've all discussed, the questions suck (just... wrong.. in some cases).

Congrats. Hopefully there's some truth to the "high written score means easier oral". We'll see.

LOL I only got a 79 on mine but probably will have to retake it again as I have been swamped at work to finish my IR.

Congrats on the 92 even though it wasn't perfect :).

How similar were the questions to test prep?

Good job. Some folks are not aware that the person administering the equipment examination (oral) is specifically required to probe the knowledge areas you missed on the written.

Good job. Some folks are not aware that the person administering the equipment examination (oral) is specifically required to probe the knowledge areas you missed on the written.
so...you think he'll get less questions with a 100%? :)

Reference?

I've heard that too, and also heard that it is no more than urban legend. I have no idea whether it's true or not, but I can tell you that I missed a question on the aerodynamic effects of ice and boots, and the DPE didn't even touch on that during the oral.

Similar results to Azure... the DPE just looked at my official results sheet to confirm I had passed, but didn't bother with the codes that indicate what questions I had missed.

The oral was straight from the PTS with added items from the special emphasis pages and things from his own experience and wisdom that he wanted to be sure I had a good handle on.

Reference?

I've heard that too, and also heard that it is no more than urban legend. I have no idea whether it's true or not, but I can tell you that I missed a question on the aerodynamic effects of ice and boots, and the DPE didn't even touch on that during the oral.

Order 8900.2?

Reference?

It was stated by FAA that it's required under the ACS in their ACS seminar I attended. X number of questions or scenarios based on each major knowledge area, and examiner must ask questions or use scenarios to test any failed knowledge codes in addition to the minimums.

That said, whether it's really going to happen to the letter of the rule in a real checkride is anyone'a guess. Part of that crossover from paper to reality is that "scenarios" count. If the examiner has their scenarios built properly they can essentially be covering *every* knowledge area.

And they do get significant leeway in terms of allowing their own use of experience and judgement, for good reason.

I've heard the problem with following the rule under the PTS was that it was difficult to match the failure codes to specific knowledge areas. It's technically easier under the ACS because they're so specific.

Interesting discussion over what the DPE may or may not do. Unfortunately its a moot point because you cant prove it one way or the other.

I made a 92 because I was capable of making a 92 and Im not a 'minimum effort' sorta guy. I'm not going to study for a 70 because that's all that's required. I'm going to study for a 100% because that's maximum possible. My wife is going to be flying with me. I want her flying with a 92 guy not a 70 guy...

:)

But you might be a 98 guy, and poorly engineered questions make it look like you're a 92 guy.

I think what the 70 guys are saying is that the test is merely a hurdle on the way to getting a rating, and since it's poorly designed, the score itself isn't a good measure of how well you know the material. You have to pass to get the rating, so do the minimum to pass and get on with life.

Or maybe there is a day I'll cancel a trip in my single engine non pressurized piston airplane because the height of the tropopause looked bad to me.

But you might be a 98 guy, and poorly engineered questions make it look like you're a 92 guy.

I think what the 70 guys are saying is that the test is merely a hurdle on the way to getting a rating, and since it's poorly designed, the score itself isn't a good measure of how well you know the material. You have to pass to get the rating, so do the minimum to pass and get on with life.

Or maybe there is a day I'll cancel a trip in my single engine non pressurized piston airplane because the height of the tropopause looked bad to me.

Yeah, I get that. The written bears little resemblance to real world flying. And yeah, the height of the tropopause is a huge concern to me. :rolleyes:

Back