Blew my IR written

Everytime I hear the word tropopause, a weird part of my memory comes back about the Tim Kazurinsky sketch during the Weekend Update part Saturday Night Live, where as Dr. Badofsky, he did some wordplay off the word menopause.

I'm not going to study for a 70 because that's all that's required.

People would say this to me when I took the CPA exam too. I wanted to make sure I was competent, not just pass a test. Congrats on the good score.

Or maybe there is a day I'll cancel a trip in my single engine non pressurized piston airplane because the height of the tropopause looked bad to me.

That got a LOL out of me sitting here reading it.

The reason the ratings have comprehensive written, oral, and practical testing is because all of them are important but people differ, and someone who likes written tests may suck at orals, etc.

The judgement of the examiner includes figuring out if you know what you're supposed to know, and can apply it.

Some folks have a hell of a time describing it in the oral but still pass.

Others have horrendous written scores (but passing) and can describe every nut, bolt, and screw on the airframe and know what the height of the tropopause is today.

And some get all of that stuff right, and can't fly the airplane. LOL.

It was stated by FAA that it's required under the ACS in their ACS seminar I attended. X number of questions or scenarios based on each major knowledge area, and examiner must ask questions or use scenarios to test any failed knowledge codes in addition to the minimums.
Ah yes, the ACS... I keep forgetting that it isn't just a new name for the PTS but involved some pretty extensive changes to standards, maybe even guidelines to examiners as well. Everything I was told and repeated here is from the PTS days. I don't even have a copy of the ACS as I have no plans to ever go for another rating.
That said, whether it's really going to happen to the letter of the rule in a real checkride is anyone'a guess. Part of that crossover from paper to reality is that "scenarios" count. If the examiner has their scenarios built properly they can essentially be covering *every* knowledge area.
Yep... and that has no doubt always been true, and was certainly true of my DPE. It was all scenario-based, and I was prepared for that as it was already general knowledge that the FAA was putting more emphasis on that kind of testing. He covered pretty much everything... but nothing to do with boots. Now if I'd been flying an airplane that was equipped with boots, it would probably have been different.

After I got a 98 on my VFR written, my sister said she wouldn't fly with me because she would always be worried about those 2%. Sisters.

The only question I missed, I picked the wrong version of two nearly identical answers. It had to do with lost comm and when to leave a hold. I think the only difference was "as close to the EFC as possible" and "at the EFC time". I obviously picked the wrong one, but neither one agreed with the controllers on here. :) ("Get out of our airspace, we'll move whatever we have to, we'd rather not have you sitting out there for however long." At least one recent thread on this, iirc.)

So, during the oral, if he asks, he gets the book answer. But again, that answer is not what I'm really supposed to do. Hooray for tests.

... but nothing to do with boots. Now if I'd been flying an airplane that was equipped with boots, it would probably have been different.
I too failed that silly question.
The reason was that the multiple choice did not offer the correct answer involving the POH.
Sucks but what can you do? Retake the test? Nah, I was happy with 92. My DPE didn't ask either.

I too failed that silly question.
The reason was that the multiple choice did not offer the correct answer involving the POH.
Sucks but what can you do? Retake the test? Nah, I was happy with 92. My DPE didn't ask either.
Ah, but was your CFII happy with it? ;)

Chances are he was, of course. Even mine was okay with the same score. But the minimum score he would sign you off for the checkride with was 90. Any less, and you had to retake the exam - at your own expense of course - until you scored 90 or better.

At least, that's what he told me. I never had occasion to test whether he was serious as I passed (92) the first time around. Though he was not the CFII who signed me off... as my written approached expiration, there was an issue at the local FSDO, the DPE he sent all of his students to lost his designation because of an ethics charge (a trumped-up charge, according to local folks "in the know") and he didn't know who to send me to. He promised to find someone in time, but fell short. My written expired, I retook it (same score), then fired him and finished up with someone else.

Sorry for the TMI... just musing in the moanin' before trudging off to work in the fresh spring snow...

Or maybe there is a day I'll cancel a trip in my single engine non pressurized piston airplane because the height of the tropopause looked bad to me.

You should. Rapidly changing tropopause height is related to strong jet streams, which brings weather.

While you won't see the resulting 150 knot headwinds that a westbound jet might, you'll see effects on the surface.

Back