Best performing Android tablet for Garmin Pilot

Thanks. I haven't used the logbook features, because I don't want to manually copy over almost 19 years of paper logs to make it relevant, so I'll take your word for that.

I had 14 years worth when I made the switch. Since I had an Excel log that I kept from Day 1, it was real easy to upload the data. You could make a single-line "carry-over" entry that sums up your total experience all with one entry.

Funny thing is, there was an update applied today that seems to address the very issues I mentioned above (at least on first glance) AND added the "Visited Airports" tab to the logbook, although it (like the apple version) seems to not understand all of my airport entries and 19 years of flight data still drags the "Aircraft Characteristics" tab to its knees. Eventually Android pops up and says, "He Dayd! Ya want me to bury him?"

The hardware in tablets is actually quite amazing. If you can do computationally intensive things like display, rotate, and render protein molecules on a tablet display, it has plenty enough power to run an EFB mapping app. I suspect that user experience lags are more related to software implementation than hardware base.

Much like PCs, the advancement in hardware has made for some very lazy coders.

Run Garmin Pilot on a iPad.

Its not my first choice as I mainly use a Tab S2. But if you want fast rendering, the compiled Objective C code used for the IOS version will always be faster than the Android Java byte code.

An example. I like to have SynViz running on night flights. The Android is too sluggish. Our IPad Mini 4 is very smooth.

Yep - the best Android pad is not an Android.

Much like PCs, the advancement in hardware has made for some very lazy coders.
Or, to put it a different way, they've made for much higher demands on coders. Decades ago, deliverables were mostly batch programs that ran (to modern eyes) simple operations. Nowadays, three coders in a coffee shop are expected to prototype an EFB more sophisticated than a whole division of a defense or aerospace contractor with their own building and admin staff would have attempted in the 70s or 80s. They have a lot more to work with now, of course, but expectations have risen with that.

Galaxy Tab S8. Works pretty good with Garmin Pilot app. The only thing needed is for Pivot or Ram to make very good holder/case or mount.
If someone has an idea please let me know.

Last edited:
Galaxy Tab S8. Works pretty good with Garmin Pilot app. They only thing needed is for Pivot or Ram to make very good holder/case or mount.
If someone has an idea please let me know.
I hold my tablet on a homemade kneeboard.

I'm using the galaxy tab A8 and am very happy with it so far. I Got it on sale for under 200 (I think the 128gb models are running about 180 right now) bucks new and it runs Garmin Pilot very well. I have the 128gb storage model and have Garmin Pilot, Netflix, Libby (for reading books), and the usual email and other apps that come stock on it. I am currently using 31gb (just have the east coast downloaded plus the apps I use) of the available 128gb. There are also several case options depending on your personal preference and need. Being an actively very anti Apple guy I was really happy that the Tab A8 fit the bill and I wouldn't be forced into buy one of those god awful IPad's.

Pros
Very light weight and sized well.
Operates smoothly and quickly.
Storage capacity (128gb) seems to be more than I'll need anytime soon.
Overall price and price for performance really can't be beat for this application in my opinion
Display is easy to adjust and is nice and crisp and clear, no problems flying and using etc.
Display is also very very nice for streaming and zoom meeting which I do a bunch with this.
Built in microphone and speakers are excellent, speaker especially greatly exceeded my expectations.
Android flexibility and mod-ability if your into that.
Battery life absolutely spanks any IPad Ive ever used or been near.
Built in GPS for the same price.

Cons
Not as many mounting and case options as the IPad (though there are more than enough for me)
Camera resolution if that matters to you on a tablet
Display doesn't go edge to edge - has a border (this is a pro for me personally but I understand many folks think this a con)

Overall the Galaxy Tab A8 is a 9.5/10 for me. Mainly because it does so much for the price. It fulfills all the "missions" I had for it brilliantly and has exceeded all of my expectations. The only thing I haven't really used/tried is the camera for taking pictures but in my defense that's not a thing I use tablets for. Hope this helps

Last edited:
Run Garmin Pilot on a iPad.

Its not my first choice as I mainly use a Tab S2. But if you want fast rendering, the compiled Objective C code used for the IOS version will always be faster than the Android Java byte code.

An example. I like to have SynViz running on night flights. The Android is too sluggish. Our IPad Mini 4 is very smooth.
Also, GP has more features available on iOS.

I came across this thread after, once again, becoming increasingly frustrated with GP performance on a Samsung Tab S5e. I abhore Apple. At this point, I feel I have no choice.

I came across this thread after, once again, becoming increasingly frustrated with GP performance on a Samsung Tab S5e. I abhore Apple. At this point, I feel I have no choice.
$ 500 Refurbished S 7+ with Garmin Pilot and happy. Big bright screen and the Pen is useful. Backup to G3X.

I'm with you. I installed a new Garmin panel and was excited to stream engine performance metrics to Garmin Pilot but learned it was an iOS only feature when I tried to set it up. If it was just the performance I could deal with it, but the feature disparity is getting tough to swallow. I'll likely get an iPad Mini soon and just dedicate it to the plane.

Recommend avoiding Android for the Garmin Pilot app. Have dealt with it, with a few different applicants, always some kind of glitch or trouble. The iOS version is quite good.

I have the exact same tablet and it has been getting worse and worse to the point I was ready to buy a new tablet. To get an android tablet with better specs than this one costs as much as an iPad, which is what I'm going to do if forced to replace this one.

I really don't care for ios, so as a last ditch effort, I did a factory reset on this one this morning. So far ensign everything (but ESPECIALLY Garmin Pilot) is running much faster. It's frustrating because I take care to not install many apps and not let things run in the background. Time will tell if this is a temporary solution, but if I can get another couple years out of this thing I'll be ecstatic.

While I’ve been a huge proponent of iFly GPS as an EFB and the product is identical in features and performance on both Android and iOS, Garmin Pilot’s Android version has always been exactly the opposite.

If GP is your efb of choice, Apple is the only real option.

It just so happens that I've spent a good bit of time the past couple of days researching a replacement for my old NVIDIA Shield K1, which has gotten flaky (and stopped updates with android 7.0). Problem is, aside from more RAM (sometimes), today's tablets don't have all that much better specs than my old one. Not many people make 8" tablets (I don't want larger) with decent specs or resolution (my old one is 1920x1200, whereas most 8" tablets are 1200x800). No, I don't want an iPad, I'm using Avare and don't plan to switch.

I used a galaxy tab s8, worked perfectly. unfortunately, it vanished so waiting on the replacement s9 to show up.
screen is 10x better than ipad, hasn't ever shut down due to overheating also the downloads work better than the ipad version.

Pen and Screen on the samsungs are just better.

some reason, the android version of gp is missing 2 or 3 tiny features but isn't the huge gap from a few years back.

full admission, I was running GP on my android phone s22 ultra, IPad mini6 with cellular and samsung s8.

I just got a Pixel Tablet and can report that Garmin Pilot is pretty snappy on it so far. I'm running Graphene for better privacy but it should perform as well with the stock Android installation.

I just got a Pixel Tablet and can report that Garmin Pilot is pretty snappy on it so far. I'm running Graphene for better privacy but it should perform as well with the stock Android installation.

Does GP insert a Procedure into the Flight Plan yet? That’s been a feature missing from GP android as recently as last year, yet has been in the iOS version as far back as 2019 when I tried it then.

I used to run GP on a galaxy tab s6 because I had one. After awhile, tried it running on the ipad and it was just much more stable. . and the new features that they announced came with it right away instead of months to never to come. . . I've since switched to FF as its just better to run overall, but I still have GP and download my database concierge updates through them to my Garmin avionics panel. But unless you are absolutely have no other alternative, I would seriously consider just getting an ipad to run it. There are many apple haters in the world, but you dont have to choose a less robust, stable platform to run your EFB software. Even if you stay on GP - the reality is that its just more stable on the ipad ios than it is on Android (at the moment).

Back