Best performing Android tablet for Garmin Pilot

Blue2836

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
blue2836
I know this has been asked in different forms, but after sifting through all of the threads I didn't find the specific answer I'm looking for. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. I find the map zooming and panning around in Garmin Pilot to be annoyingly sluggish. There's an obvious delay when I choose different menu items as well. Like when I go to my logbook or charts. The tablet is super slow in my opinion. And when I'm flying, my frustration with that is magnified. I'd like a tablet that handles drawing the map and everything in Garmin Pilot in a speedy and seamless way. Any Garmin Pilot users here that have a tablet that demonstrates no lag whatsoever? Do I have to drop $700 on a Tab S7 to achieve that? Thanks in advance and fly safe.

P.S. Please don't respond with messages about why Foreflight or any other pilot applications are better. I want to run Garmin Pilot as fast as possible, and I'm not interested in Foreflight or any other pilot applications. Thanks.

Is the tablet old and filled up with other apps? I use an old Nvidia Shield tablet with Avare and have no speed issues.

Nope. I uninstalled apps I'm not using. And I use the tablet only for Garmin Pilot. I do believe others have complained about a firmware update to the Tab S3 causing lag. So I'm just looking to see if anyone else is running Garmin Pilot on a different tablet smoothly and with no lag.

Garmin Pilot runs pretty nicely on the Asus ZenPad 10 that I bought 3 years ago, but I find a 10" tablet too big for cockpit use (I don't like a lot of screens glowing at me), so I still use an old 2013 Nexus 7 there — can also be slightly sluggish, but not seriously so.

Any high-spec'd tablet should do the trick (don't go for less than 32 GB storage and 4 GB RAM, as well as a good GPU). The nice thing about Android is that there are lots of cheap tablets from lots of different manufacturers, which is why it's become the most-popular computer operating system in the history of the world; the bad thing about Android is also that there are lots of cheap tablets from lots of different manufacturers. :)

I'm using a maybe 3 year old Samsung Tab A with only a 1.2 GHz processor, 16 GB on board and an SD card for data storage. Admittedly, it's my backup EFB but I have used it enough to know it works well for its job.

If I were in the market for one now, and it was going to be my primary, I would follow @David Megginson's advice. Brand name with decent specs. Unless you are only going to use it VFR, doesn't pay to skimp.

I know this has been asked in different forms, but after sifting through all of the threads I didn't find the specific answer I'm looking for. I currently have a Samsung Galaxy Tab S3. I find the map zooming and panning around in Garmin Pilot to be annoyingly sluggish. There's an obvious delay when I choose different menu items as well. Like when I go to my logbook or charts. The tablet is super slow in my opinion. And when I'm flying, my frustration with that is magnified. I'd like a tablet that handles drawing the map and everything in Garmin Pilot in a speedy and seamless way. Any Garmin Pilot users here that have a tablet that demonstrates no lag whatsoever? Do I have to drop $700 on a Tab S7 to achieve that? Thanks in advance and fly safe.

P.S. Please don't respond with messages about why Foreflight or any other pilot applications are better. I want to run Garmin Pilot as fast as possible, and I'm not interested in Foreflight or any other pilot applications. Thanks.

I used to run Garmin Pilot on a Galaxy Tab A8. Then I switched to Avare. Admittedly, it does not have as many features, but it ran significantly better. Zooming and panning used to take several seconds with Garmin Pilot, but Avare is crisp and fast. Besides, it is free.

I used to run Garmin Pilot on a Galaxy Tab A8. Then I switched to Avare. Admittedly, it does not have as many features, but it ran significantly better. Zooming and panning used to take several seconds with Garmin Pilot, but Avare is crisp and fast. Besides, it is free.
And if you want coverage outside the U.S., FltPlan Go on Android is also free, and not very demanding on the tablet.

I use a Galaxy Tab S3 for my Android EFB (DroidEFB). It's still pretty snappy. I use this tablet, which is retired from home consumption, exclusively for aviation, so it is stripped down to the bare basic apps to maximize performance. The Tab S3 has a really fast quad-core processor running at 2.1 GHz for the fastest two cores. Not the latest and greatest, but still reasonably powerful. Performance could be degraded if your battery is failing, then the cores won't run at full speed. I had a Pixel C fail that way. The cores slowed to a crawl at 50% or less battery. I haven't run Garmin Pilot in a while, but I am running both DroidEFB and FltPlanGo on my Tab S3 and there is no noticeable lag at all. I load all the avdata on an external microSD card, as the internal tablet memory is a bit cramped for full US coverage. I have the apps installed on my Samsung S5e as well as Moto Z2 Force phone and both EFB apps are snappy on those devices as well. The S5e is actually slower than the S3 in terms of processor speed, but it is an octacore CPU. I like the S3 because it comes with a stylus which is handy for note taking on the tablet.

Run Garmin Pilot on a iPad.

Its not my first choice as I mainly use a Tab S2. But if you want fast rendering, the compiled Objective C code used for the IOS version will always be faster than the Android Java byte code.

An example. I like to have SynViz running on night flights. The Android is too sluggish. Our IPad Mini 4 is very smooth.

....I want to run Garmin Pilot as fast as possible, ...

Not being snarky, but get a recent iPad. I think you will get the performance you are looking for, and new features come out in the iOS version 6-12 months before they show up in the Android version. If you are an anti-Apple or iOS person, I get it, but sounds like you want a tablet dedicated to GP, and an iPad with just GP meets that purpose while minimally sucking you into the Apple universe.

I've run Avare, FltPlan Go, then finally settled upon iFlyGPS ....and have run them all on a Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 without any issues at all. Is there something about Garmin Pilot that's a serious resource hog?

Not being snarky, but get a recent iPad. I think you will get the performance you are looking for, and new features come out in the iOS version 6-12 months before they show up in the Android version. If you are an anti-Apple or iOS person, I get it, but sounds like you want a tablet dedicated to GP, and an iPad with just GP meets that purpose while minimally sucking you into the Apple universe.
Not snarky. Just irrelevant.

But if you want fast rendering, the compiled Objective C code used for the IOS version will always be faster than the Android Java byte code.
That hasn't been true since the release of Android 5.0 (Lollipop) in 2014, when they replaced the Dalvik Just-In-Time compiler (which compiled into native code only at runtime) with the ART Ahead-Of-Time compiler (which pre-compiles everything at install time, so that it runs as native code just like Objective C).

Run Garmin Pilot on a iPad.

Its not my first choice as I mainly use a Tab S2. But if you want fast rendering, the compiled Objective C code used for the IOS version will always be faster than the Android Java byte code.

An example. I like to have SynViz running on night flights. The Android is too sluggish. Our IPad Mini 4 is very smooth.

This is the same advice that Garmin told me as well. My question was why they are selling a product for the same price when they know it is substandard. I didn't argue with them, but stopped my subscription.

Last edited:
With iOS, apps just cut off support for old OS versions running on old hardware. That happens with Android, too, but there's an expectation of longer legacy support — I'm still running Garmin Pilot in my plane on a Nexus 7 tablet (released 2013) running Android 6 (2015). It's a bit slow starting up — no surprise for a tablet that retailed for $100 7 years ago — but it still does OK.

If you want the same.performance as a 2-year-old $400 iOS tablet, you'll need a 2-year-old $300 or $400 Android tablet.

Last edited:
Thanks all for the helpful replies. I think there is something about the Garmin programming that is not efficient in the Android version. Other apps run just fine. But the Garmin Pilot software even on reasonably fast Android tablets runs at an unacceptable speed. Honestly, I hate anything Apple and would rather not use an iPad, but if my only options to have a smooth Garmin Pilot experience are a $700 Samsung tab S7 or a $400 iPad, I might have to go for iPad.

Thanks all for the helpful replies. I think there is something about the Garmin programming that is not efficient in the Android version. Other apps run just fine. But the Garmin Pilot software even on reasonably fast Android tablets runs at an unacceptable speed. Honestly, I hate anything Apple and would rather not use an iPad, but if my only options to have a smooth Garmin Pilot experience are a $700 Samsung tab S7 or a $400 iPad, I might have to go for iPad.
Garmin Pilot tries to do a lot, graphically, and a lot of cheaper or older Android tablets just don't have the hardware to handle that it (that's why they're cheap). My 2013 Nexus 7 still runs GP OK with just the very occasional stutter, though, and my newer Asus Zenpad 10 (US $290 on Amazon) is more than powerful enough to cope with GP, so $700 is a bit of an exaggeration — call it $300 or so to get a good-enough Android tablet.

That said, you may choose to go with an iPad for other reasons. GP on iOS gets new features a year or more ahead of the Android version, for example, and because it has more users, it gets more bug reports and more debugging from the GP dev team. To balance that, iPads don't come with built-in GPS unless they have 3G support (which is truly bizarre for such expensive hardware), so you'll lose the backup GPS source that even the cheapest $50 Android tablet gives you. And iPads are notorious for their tendency to overheat, especially running a demanding app like ForeFlight or Garmin Pilot, which is why they even sell mounts with built-in fans.

So it's a trade-off: neither option is perfect, and neither is a bad choice, either. No shame from us in the Android camp if you decide to buy a beater iPad just for your plane. :)

Well, I have a Samsung Tab S3 that's only a few months old that I purchased because my Galaxy Tab 3 wasn't cutting it. It's not cheap. It's currently priced around $500 brand new. I cleaned it up completely of any bloatware. And when I'm zooming in and out on a VFR map in Garmin Pilot there is a significant delay while it redraws. Also, if I switch from the map to "trips" or "charts" it takes up to 5 seconds to switch from feature to feature. It's tolerable on the ground, but when I'm flying I need this thing to be snappy.

After purchasing a new tablet and seeing no improvement I've come to the conclusion that the software programming must be the problem since every other app including games run fine. Are you really having no lag whatsoever on your Zenpad?

Well, I have a Samsung Tab S3 that's only a few months old that I purchased because my Galaxy Tab 3 wasn't cutting it. It's not cheap. It's currently priced around $500 brand new. I cleaned it up completely of any bloatware. And when I'm zooming in and out on a VFR map in Garmin Pilot there is a significant delay while it redraws. Also, if I switch from the map to "trips" or "charts" it takes up to 5 seconds to switch from feature to feature. It's tolerable on the ground, but when I'm flying I need this thing to be snappy.

After purchasing a new tablet and seeing no improvement I've come to the conclusion that the software programming must be the problem since every other app including games run fine. Are you really having no lag whatsoever on your Zenpad?
Not that I've noticed. I gave up on Samsung tablets 6 years ago, though, so I can't give any reference for that. I do see similar lags to the ones you're describing on my (way) underspec'd, 7-year old Nexus 7 tablet strapped to my yoke, but they don't bother me much, because the tablet isn't a primary instrument for my flying, just extra stuff, and I usually have it showing raster VNCs (sectionals) rather than the Garmin vector maps anyway.

But also, yes, Garmin's Android market is probably a single-digit or low double-digit percentage of their iOS market, so it wouldn't be surprising if the code is suboptimal. Not only would they invest less time optimising, but they'd probably try to reuse algorithms (if not actual code) from the iOS version, which would make things even worse, because the code would be designed to work around iOS's quirks, strengths, and weaknesses.

I won't claim GP is perfect on an Android tablet, but even running on my old, underspec'd Nexus 7, it's good enough for me for now, so I personally don't see the point in wasting money on a iOS tablet that I wouldn't use for anything else. YMMV.

Well, I have a Samsung Tab S3 that's only a few months old that I purchased because my Galaxy Tab 3 wasn't cutting it. It's not cheap.

The Galaxy Tab S3 was released in March 2017. It is over 3-year old quad-core technology at this point and will not receive another OS update beyond Android 9, although it is still pretty serviceable. The Tab S5E and S4 and S6 are more current devices, which have octacore chipsets and are running on Android 10, and will be eligible for an eventual Android 11 update. The one nice thing about Android tablets is that virtually all of them have internal GPS receivers. I use the internal GPS on my EFB to maintain additional GPS redundancy in flight.

I'm a dedicated hard core Android true believer. Been on the platform since Motorola Droid came out in 2009. I hate Apple. All my personal data is on Google, and I run a fairly large business on Google Enterprise Suite. I ditched my Microsoft laptop for a Chromebook.

After trialing Garmin Pilot on several android tablets this year, I gave up and bought an iPad mini. Night and Day.

Get the iPad.

I have a second generation Nexus 7 and it works great with no lag. I don't remember the specs, but I don't care as long as it runs well.

I don't use Garmin Pilot any more, though. Avare and Droid EFB are my choice...

I have a second generation Nexus 7 and it works great with no lag. I don't remember the specs, but I don't care as long as it runs well.

I don't use Garmin Pilot any more, though. Avare and Droid EFB are my choice...
Not an option if you sometimes fly into Canada, unfortunately. The only choices then are Garmin Pilot or FltPlan Go.

Garmin refuses to fix multiple several-year-old issues in the Android version but continually rolls out enhancements for the apple verson while answering bug reports with "I will pass it along". Meanwhile they still have the audacity to charge the same for both versions.

Pretty much ready to tell them where to stuff their app.

That hasn't been true since the release of Android 5.0 (Lollipop) in 2014, when they replaced the Dalvik Just-In-Time compiler (which compiled into native code only at runtime) with the ART Ahead-Of-Time compiler (which pre-compiles everything at install time, so that it runs as native code just like Objective C).
Thanks for sharing that. I had no clue when native Java compiles to machine code became reality.

But the Android code is still too slow for being natively compiled.

I can only guess that Garmin has two quite different code bases: an objective C base and a Java code base. If they truly shared 90% of the code then features (except nitty gui stuff) and release schedules would be more similar between both.

So one is managed (garbage collected) and the other is as lean as C if needed...If I understand correctly? So even with compilation to native code some of the managed overhead should still be present. Plus the Java language to native probably isn't as efficient.

I dont hink the Android would ever be as fast as the iOS on identical hardware. I still love Android and have never owned a iPhone or iPad other than the mini 4 for the plane.

From a business POV I'm surprised Garmin even supports it on Android. I wonder if its partly driven by the Euro market.

And the GP iPad version isn't perfect either. 2 iOS updates and several GP updates later and i can still hang the mini 4. Its as simple as going to the SynVis or Connext page and back to the map and it locks up with a black screen. It does it 100% of every try so far. I have to kill it and restart it...twice!

Another ios nit is the garmin 345. The android version establishes the bluetooth connection almost instantly. Meanwhile with the ipad I've started up, brake check, lean, taxi and about the time I've finished the run up it connects....and if it doesn't I go to Connext and get the other damn bug.

I'm a dedicated hard core Android true believer. Been on the platform since Motorola Droid came out in 2009. I hate Apple. All my personal data is on Google, and I run a fairly large business on Google Enterprise Suite. I ditched my Microsoft laptop for a Chromebook.

After trialing Garmin Pilot on several android tablets this year, I gave up and bought an iPad mini. Night and Day.

Get the iPad.
Well said. +1

Thanks for sharing that. I had no clue when native Java compiles to machine code became reality.

But the Android code is still too slow for being natively compiled.
Yes, but I think that's primarily just from the dev team investing less time in optimisation. Thousands of game writers get great performance out of their Android apps.

I dont think the Android would ever be as fast as the iOS on identical hardware. I still love Android and have never owned a iPhone or iPad other than the mini 4 for the plane.
FWIW, outside of Android, even before there was JIT or AOT Java compilation, it was rare that Java was bytecode and garbage collection made a difference. Unless you're running something in a continuous tight loop (like ray tracing, nuclear-explosion modelling, or, these days, bitcoin mining) your program is spending almost all its time waiting or polling for I/O or interrupts, so a difference of even 50% in code execution time might come out to 0.5% in program speed. I demonstrated that in 1998 by writing an XML parser in Java that ran faster than the C ones at the time (it was basically limited only by how fast it could read the XML file from disk).

An EFB app is just sitting most of the time waiting for something to happen. It's waiting, e.g., for a GPS position update to arrive, or for the GPU to finish drawing something, or for a new Nexrad radar update to draw. You can write a program that's very slow in C, Objective-C, or Java (or Python, for that matter), but it's usually not the programming language or runtime environment that's the deciding factor.

I can only guess that Garmin has two quite different code bases: an objective C base and a Java code base. If they truly shared 90% of the code then features (except nitty gui stuff) and release schedules would be more similar between both.
I wonder if they have a higher-level codebase that can be "translated" into Objective-C or Java, or even a tool that will "compile" Objective-C into Java code. Either of those would probably result in some messy, inefficient code. It would be for the non-hardware-dependent parts.

From a business POV I'm surprised Garmin even supports it on Android. I wonder if its partly driven by the Euro market.
I suspect they regret that decision now, from a business PoV. It might have been intended to give them a competitive advantage over FF, but I doubt they've ended up with enough Android users (like me) to justify the money they're putting into development. Killing it off now, though, wouldn't be good for their corporate reputation, so they're sort-of stuck.

And the GP iPad version isn't perfect either. 2 iOS updates and several GP updates later and i can still hang the mini 4. Its as simple as going to the SynVis or Connext page and back to the map and it locks up with a black screen. It does it 100% of every try so far. I have to kill it and restart it...twice! Another ios nit is the garmin 345. The android version establishes the bluetooth connection almost instantly. Meanwhile with the ipad I've started up, brake check, lean, taxi and about the time I've finished the run up it connects....and if it doesn't I go to Connext and get the other damn bug.
Interesting to hear. Yes, it seems there are advantages and disadvantages to both platforms. On Android, we can at least take reliable Bluetooth, built-in GPS, and not overheating for granted, even if we're running behind on new features and code optimisation.

FWIW, FltPlan Go runs quite snappily on Android. Its price is great (free), as is its coverage (includes Canada), but the Android version doesn't display SiriusXM weather from my GDL 51 yet, so I'm still paying my GP subscription.

Garmin refuses to fix multiple several-year-old issues in the Android version but continually rolls out enhancements for the apple verson while answering bug reports with "I will pass it along". Meanwhile they still have the audacity to charge the same for both versions.

Pretty much ready to tell them where to stuff their app.
Which issues are hitting you? The GP dev team takes their time (the Android platform isn't their priority), but they have eventually responded to and fixed all the bugs I've reported.

This isn't to excuse them — their business model isn't our problem — but the iOS version has an economy of scale that Android lacks, so even if they're charging the same on both platforms, they're probably making $$ on the iOS platform and losing $$$ on the Android one (iOS is Budweiser for them, while Android is a small craft beer label). I just hope they keep supporting Android for a while, at least.

Android has 86% of the phone market. Garmin would be crazy not to support it. Too convenient to whip out your phone and edit a quick flight plan anywhere. Also nice to have backup device in flight. The GP Android phone app works just fine on my Pixel 3, which is not cutting edge hardware at all.

The big problem with Android tablets is vendor bloatware. Samsung is the only manufacturer still building premium spec'd tablets, and they insist on skinning the interface and installing their own apps for cloud storage, etc. I recently bought a Tab 8" and tried to make GP work on it. Basically unusable. Panning the map would take about 5 seconds to render the new area. Tap an airfield icon and wait 10 seconds for the info menu to pop up. Disabled as much bloatware as I could, but no better.

I think Apple may have figured out the heating issue. My Mini used to get really hot in the same spot on the back within 5 seconds of launching the GP map. Any other app or GP menu item was fine, but the map would make that damn thing almost glow red. Minimize the map and it cooled down right away. However, since the last update, it no longer gets hot with the map running. Tried it several dozen times on my sofa just to make sure. Go figure.

Makes me grind my molars flat to say nice things about Apple, but the facts are what they are.

Which issues are hitting you? The GP dev team takes their time (the Android platform isn't their priority), but they have eventually responded to and fixed all the bugs I've reported.

The two that come to mind immediately that have never worked (over four different tablets in six years) are:

- Downloads. I can have over 100 updates available but hitting the "Update All" button only results in "Your are currently up to date". I end up having to go into every category, delete everything and "Download All" or selecting individual items one at a time to delete and download. Here is an example of a screenshot I have submitted to them. It was taken right after hitting the "Update All" button back in January
20200618_125320-2.jpg

Why not just enable "Automatic Updates"? you may ask... If they cannot even download when there are expired items, are you going to trust them to clean up after themselves during an automatic update? I wouldn't... A month ago I got curious why the amount of space available on my tablet was so small. I started poking around and found over 1GB of old, expired nav data in the GP data storage folders (some of it going back to 2017) that GP never cleaned up.

Also note in that screenshot that the app is taking it upon itself to download data for Australia. I did not tell it to do that and it is not on any of the lists from which I can choose, but multiple times I have seen it downloading data for Australia or European countries for which I have no need.

- Logbook reports:

- I have never been able to do a logbook report by aircraft characteristics using the Android app. Every time I try, it just crashes as soon as I hit the button.

- Instrument currency report. The app does not seem to recognize the ability to use a BATD for instrument currency. According to the app, I am so very much expired on my instrument currency even though I have done 28 instrument approaches in the last six months.

Note that every one of these functions work just fine in the apple version and have been reported for the Android version at least annually for 5 or 6 years now. Always with the same response: "I sent it to one of our developers."

The two that come to mind immediately that have never worked (over four different tablets in six years) are:

- Downloads. I can have over 100 updates available but hitting the "Update All" button only results in "Your are currently up to date". I end up having to go into every category, delete everything and "Download All" or selecting individual items one at a time to delete and download. Here is an example of a screenshot I have submitted to them. It was taken right after hitting the "Update All" button back in January
View attachment 91755

Why not just enable "Automatic Updates"? you may ask... If they cannot even download when there are expired items, are you going to trust them to clean up after themselves during an automatic update? I wouldn't... A month ago I got curious why the amount of space available on my tablet was so small. I started poking around and found over 1GB of old, expired nav data in the GP data storage folders (some of it going back to 2017) that GP never cleaned up.

Also note in that screenshot that the app is taking it upon itself to download data for Australia. I did not tell it to do that and it is not on any of the lists from which I can choose, but multiple times I have seen it downloading data for Australia or European countries for which I have no need.

- Logbook reports:

- I have never been able to do a logbook report by aircraft characteristics using the Android app. Every time I try, it just crashes as soon as I hit the button.

- Instrument currency report. The app does not seem to recognize the ability to use a BATD for instrument currency. According to the app, I am so very much expired on my instrument currency even though I have done 28 instrument approaches in the last six months.

Note that every one of these functions work just fine in the apple version and have been reported for the Android version at least annually for 5 or 6 years now. Always with the same response: "I sent it to one of our developers."
Thanks. I haven't used the logbook features, because I don't want to manually copy over almost 19 years of paper logs to make it relevant, so I'll take your word for that.

Downloads (on three different Android devices) do work if you leave them alone for a bit. They take a while to scan storage, which suggests to me that they didn't really optimise that code for Android (which treats storage like a regular file system). I've seen the same issue with some apps like Root Explorer, which take forever to copy or move a file, which I can copy or move in less than a second in a shell with the cp or mv command.

The EFB "era" began in 2010 with the introduction of the iPad. Since then, out of all the times I've flown as a member of a professional flight crew, and in more recent times, out of all the practical tests I've administered, I've seen a non-iPad EFB appear maybe three times out of hundreds of events. The iPad solidly owns the aviation market by a massive margin. I understand and empathize with the desire to stick with one product ecosystem vs. another, but there's only one headache-free GP experience available... it requires you to go with the market leader. The iPad.

These many Android development issues are likely the issue ForeFlight doesn't want to develop for that platform and sticks with the iPad.

The EFB "era" began in 2010 with the introduction of the iPad. Since then, out of all the times I've flown as a member of a professional flight crew, and in more recent times, out of all the practical tests I've administered, I've seen a non-iPad EFB appear maybe three times out of hundreds of events. The iPad solidly owns the aviation market by a massive margin. I understand and empathize with the desire to stick with one product ecosystem vs. another, but there's only one headache-free GP experience available... it requires you to go with the market leader. The iPad.

These many Android development issues are likely the issue ForeFlight doesn't want to develop for that platform and sticks with the iPad.
I think you have that backwards — both platforms have similar numbers of development issues, but EFB vendors have invested a lot more money into working around them in iOS than they have in Android. If, for some reason, Android had taken the early EFB lead, then we'd be talking about how unstable iOS was as an EFB platform, because vendors wouldn't have invested the extra millions into working around iOS's bugs and quirks.

I think you have that backwards — both platforms have similar numbers of development issues, but EFB vendors have invested a lot more money into working around them in iOS than they have in Android. If, for some reason, Android had taken the early EFB lead, then we'd be talking about how unstable iOS was as an EFB platform, because vendors wouldn't have invested the extra millions into working around iOS's bugs and quirks.

I do have extensive experience with GP on an ipad (about seven months) and about the only thing I have really noticed that the Android version does better is having zoom buttons on the map page.

The apple method of only allowing pinching for zoom does not work very well in the bumps. They really need to add the +/- buttons to the map screen.

The hardware in tablets is actually quite amazing. If you can do computationally intensive things like display, rotate, and render protein molecules on a tablet display, it has plenty enough power to run an EFB mapping app. I suspect that user experience lags are more related to software implementation than hardware base.

I run FltPlan Go on a Samsung Tab S2, so my experience may or may not be relevant. From early on I had issues with map zooming. The application would just stop after a little zooming. I could reduce the problem for a while by restarting the device, but it was never really "right". Then recently, I was unable to download any procedure updates. I contacted FltPlan and after many e-mail exchanges, was able to solve all my issues. I deleted FltPlan Go and all its files. I reset the tablet, losing all my files, presets, preferences, etc., then reloaded FltPlan Go and the other other aviation-related apps (My Radar, Windy, Weather Channel). It is all working better now than it ever has. Kudos to the FltPlan team that worked with me through this nightmare.

I run FltPlan Go on a Samsung Tab S2, so my experience may or may not be relevant. From early on I had issues with map zooming. The application would just stop after a little zooming. I could reduce the problem for a while by restarting the device, but it was never really "right". Then recently, I was unable to download any procedure updates. I contacted FltPlan and after many e-mail exchanges, was able to solve all my issues. I deleted FltPlan Go and all its files. I reset the tablet, losing all my files, presets, preferences, etc., then reloaded FltPlan Go and the other other aviation-related apps (My Radar, Windy, Weather Channel). It is all working better now than it ever has. Kudos to the FltPlan team that worked with me through this nightmare.

That is Garmin's other go-to answer for initial bug reports. Uninstall/Reinstall.... :rolleyes:

They use ESRI's map-rendering library (rather than writing their own), and that third-party ESRI library had bugs rendering on some tablets. The FltPlan Go dev team is very responsive, though, and seems to have developed workarounds for most of the library issues now.

Back