Best/easiest Way To Peel Boiled Eggs

Bozo

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Bozo
So many egg discussions going on, why not another thread on how to easily peel a boiled egg. I await your wisdom.

Drop them in cold water immediately after boiling them.

Stale eggs.

I've tried everything else, but if they are fresh, they are always harder to peel however you can minimize the difficulty somewhat by like GRG55 says, drop into cold water immediately, sometimes knocking them around to crack them open right away helps.

Steam them instead of boiling seems to help.

I've heard adding salt to the water helps.

But the best thing is to just buy them a month before you plan to use them. I know, easier said than done.

Drop them in cold water immediately after boiling them.

I do that but say it's 10 eggs, 2 or 3 will be difficult to peel. Some say 5' cool down, some say 1'.

Put two or three in a container with a lid and shake like crazy.

Rinse with cold water, toss in a jar with enough water to cover it, cap and shake for a few seconds...Pull it out and strip the shell off. Put them in a bowl and in the fridge to cool.

Peel them under a slowly running stream of cold water.

Put a pin sized hole in the shell and put immediately in boiling water. They will peel much easier.

I saw this demonstrated for the first time yesterday. Roll the egg to crack the shell, peal a small hole on each end (you need to get through the outer 'skin') blow into one end, and the egg pops out the other end completely shelled. My wife (an RN) started talking about potential hygiene issues but I thought it was really cool.

The holes on each end were about the diameter of a dime.
Gary

I just run cold water over them for a little while, then smoosh the large end onto the counter so they will stand up. Peel with fingers, starting from the smashed end, when ready to eat. They will last for several days in the frig like this, and you won't mistake them for a raw egg.

I usually crack it open with a spoon and take it out like you would take out the pit of an avocoado

Don't boil them... Steam them in a garden-variety vegetable steamer. (aka a pan of water with a device to hold the eggs above water level, and a loose fitting cover.) Steam them for the same length of time as you would have boiled them. Cool the eggs by water immersion or by just sitting them on the counter.

The only difference here is you are steaming them not boiling them.

It works!

-Skip

Use a pressure washer. That way you don't have to eat a boiled egg because the pressure washer will destroy it.

Put a pin sized hole in the shell and put immediately in boiling water. They will peel much easier.

Cool, thanks!

Oh wait. How do I put a pin sized hole in the shell without cracking the rest of it?

I can just picture it now:
"JD said a pin sized hole, so here we go. $%#@! Got another one. $#*%! Good thing I bought the big carton. $%*@!"

Oh crud, I posted the 'shake in glass or jar' method in one of the other egg threads before seeing this...
So far has worked perfectly for me several times.

Haven't hard boiled an egg in years because when I try to peel the shell, I peel off half the egg with it. Decided to try last night. Stuck the eggs in some water, once it reached boil point, turned off the heat and covered for 11 min. During that time, I had a bowl of cold water in the freezer. When the buzzer went off, I took out the bowl and dropped the eggs into it. After 20 or so minutes, I put them in the crate and in the fridge. Peeled two this morning and the shells pretty much fell off on their own. Not sure if I did something right or just got lucky.

I do that but say it's 10 eggs, 2 or 3 will be difficult to peel. Some say 5' cool down, some say 1'.

First, steaming is way better. I actually shelled out some coin for a purpose-built egg steamer. Wasn't much, works well and will make soft boiled eggs, which I love.

Second, what the man said, drop them right away in cold water. I throw a bunch of ice in a bowl with some water and throw in the eggs. And I do 7 at a time. Easy peasy.

Third, don't forget to place peeled eggs in your favorite pickle brine to make pickled eggs. I use the brine from home-fermented pickles, each jar of brine makes about 3 batches of pickled eggs before it gets played out. You can do it with the brine from the pickles you buy at the store, doesn't even take that much.

pickled eggs with beats.....yum. :eek:

783007.jpg

Wow. That thing is amazing. I occasionally see peeled boiled eggs available in the store, but not in large quantities. What is the primary commercial use of peeled boiled eggs?
any restaurant who serves hard boiled eggs...salad bars and such.

Wow. That thing is amazing. I occasionally see peeled boiled eggs available in the store, but not in large quantities. What is the primary commercial use of peeled boiled eggs?

Restaurants and food service.

@steingar,

I love hot spicy things. Jalepenos and Cajun spice are among my favorites.

gotta draw the line somewhere.

I use Frank's hot sauce on mine. If you're ever in the neighborhood you should try my latest salsa rosa, while it lasts. It is my best, and utterly nuclear. Might try and bring some to the Show if there's any left by then.

Is this after they are cooked? When I cook mine, I heat to a boil, boil for one minute, cover and let them sit for 13 minutes. Then rinse in cold water and add ice to cool them quickly and refrigerate. I peel them as I need them, usually one per day and some peel easily and some of them are like skinning a catfish!!

Is this after they are cooked? When I cook mine, I heat to a boil, boil for one minute, cover and let them sit for 13 minutes. Then rinse in cold water and add ice to cool them quickly and refrigerate. I peel them as I need them, usually one per day and some peel easily and some of them are like skinning a catfish!!

After awhile eggs dry out and get hard to peel. Best to peel them all when done, and then immerse in pickle brine as I specified earlier. They keep in pickle brine forever. The one problem you all might have is that commercially available brines are vinegar based (mine have none, and derive their acid from bacterial action). The acetic acid in commercial brines will denature proteins in the eggs, making them rubbery. Thus if you use a vinegar brine you do have to eat the eggs that much sooner. Darn.

Prior to putting in boiling water.

I use Frank's hot sauce on mine. If you're ever in the neighborhood you should try my latest salsa rosa, while it lasts. It is my best, and utterly nuclear. Might try and bring some to the Show if there's any left by then.

Would you share the recipe?

I've been having much better luck since I started keeping the water at the boiling point (i.e., simmering) for the entire period of cooking them. I plan on trying Eggman's method, however.

Third, don't forget to place peeled eggs in your favorite pickle brine to make pickled eggs. I use the brine from home-fermented pickles, each jar of brine makes about 3 batches of pickled eggs before it gets played out. You can do it with the brine from the pickles you buy at the store, doesn't even take that much.
How long do you pickle them for?

Back