Best Cleaner for Taking Care of Greasy Belly?

MBDiagMan

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Doc
I’ve gone through break in of fresh engines in both my planes and it’s now time to start cleaning the greasy belly’s. I tried using cream type hand cleaner this morning and I was underwhelmed.

Anyone have any better suggestion. I was warned off about Simple Green because it contains ammonia which is a no no for aluminum.

What say you?

There is a Simple Green Aviation formula. The owner of the company is a pilot and he had another formula made that passed the Army standards for corrosion. That said, I don't think the SG variations are all that great. If it's just oil, sometimes I use WD40 or mineral spirits. I have some wipes that are supposed to be good for exhaust stains. I really think it doesn't matter what you use, it's elbow grease that cleans bellies.

Last edited:
Without a doubt "Gunk" Original formula. Safe for aluminum, hot-rodders have been spraying it on their aluminum manifolds for decades. Mostly it is spray on hose off.
image_24950.jpg

I founded Plane Perfect, but sold the company a few years ago. They recently signed up as a sponsor for my youtube channel for 2023. So, if you're going to use Buddha Belly, be sure to mention my name. It's legit good stuff.

https://planeperfect.us/products/bbb

I’m pleased with Plane Perfect BuddaBelly. Pick something you don’t mind getting in your eyes and mouth. A 1 gal pump sprayer makes application easier. Or a gallon bucket of water and a rag/brush. I usually wet, scrub, wet, wipe. Two steps gives a nice result.

Back when I had to clean the belly, gear, and smoke trails the favorite was 5606. Needed to use it on a regular basis but would clean quite well.

IMG_3361.JPG 100LL on the wet rag....and wipe with a clean dry rag.....rinse and repeat.

Try Dawn Powerwash trigger spray dish detergent. It's very impressive on oil and grease. It's not the same formula as the normal bottle stuff. Not corrosive.

I like Dove or Dial, but will get Irish Spring or Coast if it’s on sale.

For the plane, I use Simple Green Aviation.

while you’re at it, ask her what kind of mower and weed eater she has.:D
My wife has an old (2000) Yard Machine 540 lawn mower. Still running great. Starts easily. I tweaked the throttle spring while she was out one day, so the thing really revs. It's NOT self-propelled, so she gets a good workout.

I've had really good success with the detailing guy at the fbo. Works on the interior, too.

Buddha belly does work really amazingly well though for those times when I decide lying on a creeper under my plane for a couple hours sounds like fun.

Last edited:
+1 for the Simple Green Aviation. 1:1 dilution for really bad stuff, then rinse (I’ll rinse the belly by wiping down with a water-soaked rag for several rinses)

Wash Wax All Degreaser version (red liquid vice standard blue).

It works very well and what I use on the T6 and Beech 18

When using products on your plane be sure you read the label carefully ... :eek:

iu

My wife has an old (2000) Yard Machine 540 lawn mower. Still running great. Starts easily. I tweaked the throttle spring while she was out one day, so the thing really revs. It's NOT self-propelled, so she gets a good workout.

Youre a good mate! It is our duty as husbands to make sure that she has a good mower that starts easy and is alway filled with gas.:p

I use Aerocosmetics Belly Soap as someone mentioned above. The trick is to keep it clean and not let it build up so much that it becomes work.

Jack would be proud

Best cleaners are ones that do it for a ride in the plane.

I took my tenant and his 6 and 3 year old up. The 6 year old was more than willing to help.

Actually that story is mostly true. I did buy her a mower as a gift ... but it wasn't her birthday. :)

I bought my wife a small air compressor for Christmas early in our marriage. It was our first or second together. Seemed like a great gift as it could be mounted on garage wall ready for use. That was way more convenient than dragging my heavy compressor and hose from the shed in back yard.

She liked it, but my family rolled their eyes.

I bought my wife a small air compressor for Christmas early in our marriage. It was our first or second together. Seemed like a great gift as it could be mounted on garage wall ready for use. That was way more convenient than dragging my heavy compressor and hose from the shed in back yard.

She liked it, but my family rolled their eyes.

Many moons ago I was out of town and my girlfriend's car was needing the carb replaced (it was a 225 slant six with the single barrel carb).

She called me (land lines only back then), asked some particulars, wrote some notes, went to the parts store, bought a carb and called me the next day to let me hear how it sounded.

That's when I knew she was the one ... :)

Many moons ago I was out of town and my girlfriend's car was needing the carb replaced (it was a 225 slant six with the single barrel carb).

She called me (land lines only back then), asked some particulars, wrote some notes, went to the parts store, bought a carb and called me the next day to let me hear how it sounded.

That's when I knew she was the one ... :)

A48A5E66-C843-4ACF-A3D4-9C74342FC682.gif

Best cleaners are ones that do it for a ride in the plane.

I took my tenant and his 6 and 3 year old up. The 6 year old was more than willing to help.

When I was in my early teen years, my best friend's dad owned a 421C. Dad regularly sent friend to the airport for underwing cleaning, washing, and waxing the plane. Friend knew I was a hopeless airhead, and used a modified Tom Sawyer scam to convince me not just anyone was asked to clean and wax the monster (in my eyes) aircraft.

I was honored to have been chosen.

:D

Wash wax all pink heavy degreaser,works quite well.

Now, PB Blaster, on the other hand, that's just NAAASTY.

It is ... but that stuff sure seems to be the stuff I need sometimes. Had a can in use just today as a matter of fact. A bit of PB blaster and a cheater bar and things came apart just fine ...

Back