Degreaser for bottom of airplane?

CC268

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
CC268
I have read a couple older threads on here and some on other forums...lots of different options it seems. I am thinking of trying one of the following on my Cherokee:

- Dawn dish soap
- Mineral Spirits or Kerosene

Gojo has been another recommendation, but seems like a real PITA to apply that stuff. Mineral Spirits/Kerosene I could put in a weed sprayer and just spray the bottom easily. Then use some sort of extendable brush to clean?

What do you guys think?

Costco. Oil Eater. Its a citrus based degreaser and it works spectacularly well for spraying on and if the belly's really grungy rub it around with a soft brush (i use a soft synthetic brush head on a telescoping painter pole). Rinse well. It's my routine prewash prior to washing my plane.

Costco. Oil Eater. Its a citrus based degreaser and it works spectacularly well for spraying on and if the belly's really grungy rub it around with a soft brush (i use a soft synthetic brush head on a telescoping painter pole). Rinse well. It's my routine prewash prior to washing my plane.

Ahh used to use this on the motocross bikes. I might have some in the garage.

WD-40 if it's just oil. Carbon-X for carbon.

I use Aero Cosmetics Belly Wash and that seems to work well.

Same here, and it doesn't sting as much as other de-greasers when it blows into your eyes, plus it smells nice. I have a creeper and if you wipe it down regularly, it never gets to the point where you have to spray it down with a garden sprayer or use a brush.

Another thing to consider is how much oil your engine is spitting out. On my Cherokee, yes it will hold 8 quarts but anything over 6 is just dumped overboard through the vent and therefore ends up all over the belly of the airplane.

edit: I don't wipe down the creeper with Belly Wash, I USE the creeper to wipe down the belly of the airplane.

Last edited:
Citrus based made me worry a little. Citrus makes me think acidic. Probably not a problem unless that stuff is pretty far on the acidic side and you have some spots with missing paint and bare metal exposed.

GOJO original formula, non-pumice from O'Reilly's auto store. You can buy a massive gallon jug for $14 that last two years. I just use disposable gloves and grab a small hand full and wipe on. I roll around on a creeper under the plane, starting at the engine cowling. By time I get to the tail the front has broken down the grease and exhaust soot. Wipes completely clean with paper towels and absolutely no scrubbing. You can also spray it off with water if you are close to wash station.

Citrus based made me worry a little. Citrus makes me think acidic. Probably not a problem unless that stuff is pretty far on the acidic side and you have some spots with missing paint and bare metal exposed.
For this purpose, they use citrus oil, not ascorbic acid. This is a mixture of terpenes, mostly D-limonene. As this is present to maybe 5% of the mixture, there could also be acids or bases that are corrosive that form the rest of the cleaner.

Cheap, fast, good.
y240030.jpg

GOJO original formula, non-pumice from O'Reilly's auto store. You can buy a massive gallon jug for $14 that last two years. I just use disposable gloves and grab a small hand full and wipe on. I roll around on a creeper under the plane, starting at the engine cowling. By time I get to the tail the front has broken down the grease and exhaust soot. Wipes completely clean with paper towels and absolutely no scrubbing. You can also spray it off with water if you are close to wash station.

I'll second this. Works great and removes easily.

Scrubbing Bubbles is cheap and it works.

There is, however, a warning on the label that it's not for use on painted surfaces. That said, if sprayed on and wiped off quickly it seemed to have no ill effects.

Well I tried out GOJO today - worked very well. Messy job though and kind of PITA to apply, but it worked great. I did a test spot with Mineral Spirits as well - it worked really good too, but I didn't want to use it unless I knew it was completely safe. Mineral Spirits is definitely the easier method as I can apply it with a weed sprayer.

Waxed the entire plane including the underside. Should be easier to clean up now! Hard day of work today lol

IMG_1173.JPG IMG_1169.JPG IMG_1176.JPG IMG_1178.JPG

I've never flown a plane with the underside that squeaky clean and shiney! Congrats! -Skip

I've never flown a plane with the underside that squeaky clean and shiney! Congrats! -Skip

I am very OCD about keeping my things clean...its honestly a curse. I go a bit overboard I think...

If Buddha Belly is really that good and is just a spray on, sit, rinse off product then I might consider ordering it

Good lookin' bird Russ. I'd like to see the vents on the inside, I bet they're not at ankle level are they?

When I worked line service for an FBO. I liked to clean the belly....... laying flat on a creeper, doing a task that no one else wanted. While performing that task, no one effed with you because they did not want to be the one to finish it ! ;)

Nice looking Cherokee.... I will give another shout out for PlanePerfect Belly Budda... And really all there products... I too washed the plane Saturday, and spent about 10 minutes to get all the gunk off the belly... spray it on, wipe it off... it works great.

I use the leather cleaner in my truck, and my wife said it should not be used as it is for airplanes, not trucks... opps... still the best for keeping the inside of the truck clean and well preserved.

Of course.

Haha I was confused because my dads name is Russell! I don't have any photos of the vents but there is one on each side at about chest height and then the cabin air vents are at like waist height I guess.

WD-40. I did the entire belly of a P28 that I'm sure had never been cleaned in years.

Back