Battery felonie

Junior Alexis

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
jalexis18
I’m interested in becoming a pilot but I was convicted of battery in 2006, will that effect me from becoming a pilot?

@James331 thats funny

To the OP you need to consult with an AME to get your question answered. Or perhaps an Aviation attorney. The worst thing you could do is apply for the medical and not disclose your conviction. You get caught lying on your application and it becomes very hard to move forward.

Why does a battery conviction have anything to do with the FAA and flying?

Why does a battery conviction have anything to do with the FAA and flying?
You have to report it on your medical down in one of the question 18 items. The FAA medical folk only care if it indicates that you might have mental issues, which a single isolated felony of this sort won't do, but if you have other things (like you've been seeing a shrink or whatever over the same time frame, it may require additional documentation).

The next step is the FAA and TSA security if you're talking about a flying career. To get access to the secure areas of the airport you can't have certain crimes on your history. Simple battery isn't on the list. It has to arise to kidnapping, rape, attempted murder, or interfering with flight crew (to name a few).

The last issue is that if you're thinking about actually being employed as a pilot, what your employer might think. In most states, asking people about felony convictions is fair game as long as it's not specifically designed to exclude people of a certain protected class.

One conviction twelve years ago probably won't be a problem with FAA if a significant amount of time has passed post-release. FAA is looking for evidence of, for example, a personality disorder or other condition that would affect a pilot's ability or willingness to be trustworthy in the air. I doubt that one conviction 12 years ago would qualify, especially if you were young and stupid at the time.

You will, however, have to get a lot of paperwork from the court. A good AME would know more about that.

You may or may not have issues with TSA. I don't think simple battery is disqualifying, and if it is, it would almost certainly be only for ten years post-release. Assuming you have that much time free, I don't think you have anything to worry about.

You may want to post this in the Medical Topics section. It's on your medical application where you'll have to disclose (as well as to TSA if your airport requires a SIDA badge).

Rich

Petition the court to have you records expunged. it will never show up again. and with your record cleared, the FAA can't have a problem with it after you mark the block "yes"

Petition the court to have you records expunged.
Depending on which state you are in, that's probably unlikely. Very few states allow for expunction of felony convictions. Perhaps you can get a pardon from el Cheeto.
it will never show up again. and with your record cleared,
Surely, you jest. We're talking about federal level background checks. Expunction likely will not suppress it in security checks.

The FAA can't have a problem with it after you mark the block "yes"
Eh? You gotta believe they can have problems. That's why they ask all those YES/NO questions.

Did this thread energize your inner bunny?
No bunny here cares about such a personal question. I'm positive the chemistry here isn't current enough to cell your position.

Resistance is futile.

At least it was a simple 6 month sentence instead of the electric chair. Just tell the FAA the truth. You don’t wanna get any wires crossed with them or your flying adventures could get short. A open application and s visit to your nearest AME should complete the circuit.

OK, COOL IT!

What a bunch of jerks we have on this forum.

Here comes an aspiring pilot and nobody will give him a serious answer? Yes he has a prior unfortunate incident. Nobody will give him a serious answer? I would try but I don't have the knowledge to do that. Let's just chase him away with nonsense....

This guy needs a serious answer. Anybody? Bueller?

-Skip

ps: Props to Tom Downey for a serious answer. Thanks, Tom!

OK, COOL IT!

Here comes an aspiring pilot and nobody will give him a serious answer? Yes he has a prior unfortunate incident. Nobody will give him a serious answer? I would try but I don't have the knowledge to do that. Let's just chase him away with nonsense....

-Skip

Props to Tom.

Oh, I get it. Tom.... props....

I’ll have to file that one.

Lol.

OK, COOL IT!

-Skip

You'd think as many lawyers we have on this page some one would figure it out.

OK, COOL IT!

-Skip

I'm sorry you failed to see that the serious answer had already been given. Too bad you can't appreciate the current potential for some humor.

Getting medical should be no issue. Just disclose it on the form and tell the AME.

Now whether some one will hire a pilot with a felony, thats a whole different matter.

Good Luck

Back