Barefoot Bandit taken into custody.

And his mother has already hired a lawyer...

An entertainment lawyer, not a criminal lawyer!

I guess they'll need the movie/book revenue to pay restitution.

Hope he spends a long, long time in the can.

Good news, but of course now that he's a stationary target, the celebrity-making machine will pump him up even more. :rolleyes2:

Whatever they do with him, part of it should involve forcing his mother to give him a good spanking. :D
There's obviously been a lack of that so far in this brat's life. She doesn't seem to think he's done anything wrong... :rolleyes2:

Good news, but of course now that he's a stationary target, the celebrity-making machine will pump him up even more. :rolleyes2:

They'll arrange to have him date Sexy Russian Spy "Anna Chapman" when she inevitably comes back to the US.

Running to an island seems to be the worst thing you can do. Why would you restrict yourself to such a small spot to run to? Unless he was planning on stealing a boat and running to Cuba.

Running to an island seems to be the worst thing you can do. Why would you restrict yourself to such a small spot to run to? Unless he was planning on stealing a boat and running to Cuba.

Nobody claimed he was smart.

Whatever they do with him, part of it should involve forcing his mother to give him a good spanking. :D
There's obviously been a lack of that so far in this brat's life. She doesn't seem to think he's done anything wrong... :rolleyes2:

Beyond my comprehension. If I even had a whiff of thinking about doing something like this growing up, I'd have to pick a landing place where I could keep running -- from my parents!

Perhaps a more effective lesson on the meaning of the concept of 'wrong' would be achieved by his having to face those whose homes he broke into, and planes he crashed, first. The mother can give a good spanking to whatever's left.

I'd doubt that spanking will about to much, though, seeing that, per a CNN story, 20th Century Fox has apparently already purchased film rights to his story....

Just maybe he planned on the airplane sinking in 200 ft. of water. So they wouldn't even know he was there. But the water where he sat down was not that deep. When they found the plane his plan was foiled. Just maybe that is what happened. Just guessing. :dunno:

I guess they'll need the movie/book revenue to pay restitution.

Hope he spends a long, long time in the can.

Yes, but if the mother gets the book deal, then she can keep the money. It's only if her brat got the book deal that the law would require the funds go to the victims.

CNN just showed some impressive video from the boat owner (William Sport); the kid got involved in a high speed boat chase with the Bahamian police... the video and interview with Sport showed buckshot and gunshot damage to the boat (the cops shot out the engines)... purportedly the kid held a gun to his own head and threatened to kill himself, but was disarmed.

Charlie Melot, of Zephyr Aircraft Engines, reported on the red board that CHM was captured off the dock where Charlie was staying in the Bahamas.

Aside from that moment of fame, Charlie could add nothing substantive to the news.

-Skip

That Charlie is well-known as a publicity hound. Sheesh!

Charlie Melot, of Zephyr Aircraft Engines, reported on the red board that CHM was captured off the dock where Charlie was staying in the Bahamas.

Aside from that moment of fame, Charlie could add nothing substantive to the news.

-Skip

I hope they make him stand up to the charges seperately. I can just see him wearing a jury down like Blago might, "As to charge 79 for grand felony theft of an aircraft..." with the jurors going "alright already, give him ten years and shut up" where he should get ten years for each theft.

I hope they make him stand up to the charges seperately. I can just see him wearing a jury down like Blago might, "As to charge 79 for grand felony theft of an aircraft..." with the jurors going "alright already, give him ten years and shut up" where he should get ten years for each theft.

Served consecutively, not concurrently. And no possibility of parole.

Guys, guys, guys... Bahama is gong to give him a few months in the slammer then extradite him over to the US (why should they feed him for decades?)... At his trial here he will be tried as a juvenile and get 18 months in a halfway house then turned loose (if he doesn't take off sooner)... His case has the look and feel of another Dillinger style folk hero... You can expect to see him holding a bank full of people hostage on the 6 O'clock news in the not distant future...

denny-o

He should be ordered pay restitution. In the event he cannot pay, every person who was affected should have the privilege of kicking his a$$ ...

He should be ordered pay restitution. In the event he cannot pay, every person who was affected should have the privilege of kicking his a$$ ...

and just for fun, a few of us who haven't been affected by him.

Guys, guys, guys... Bahama is gong to give him a few months in the slammer then extradite him over to the US (why should they feed him for decades?)... At his trial here he will be tried as a juvenile and get 18 months in a halfway house then turned loose (if he doesn't take off sooner)... His case has the look and feel of another Dillinger style folk hero... You can expect to see him holding a bank full of people hostage on the 6 O'clock news in the not distant future...

denny-o
Somehow, I don't think so. He turned 18 in March of 2009.

and just for fun, a few of us who haven't been affected by him.

To be picky - he affected all of us.
If the feds were involved, that's fed money - otherwise just state/local law enforcement which may not be 'all' of us.
If anyone made a claim for losses to insurance companies, that affects us all.

If he is tried as juvy many states will hold the parent responsible for the cost of trail, counseling , education incarceration etc. His mothers statements that she wishes he were someplace without an extradition treaty with the US is despicable IMHO.

The guys down at lockup will probably hook the kid up with some shoes, so he's got that going for him.
-harry

My guess is he'll be getting hooked up with more than shoes in the Bahamian correctional system...

If he is tried as juvy many states will hold the parent responsible for the cost of trail, counseling , education incarceration etc. His mothers statements that she wishes he were someplace without an extradition treaty with the US is despicable IMHO.

Isn't he 19 ? The mom is probably off the hook for anything after his 18th birthday.

I wanna watch him walk across a bed of coals barefoot.

Nah. That's too easy. He';d have no problem figuring out the trick.

I do wonder why he never had top deal with walking on burrs or glass.

Nobody has touched on the real important question of this story.....did he or did he not prove whether a BFR was necessary? :D

I'd say he killed the myth! lol

Plenty of unattended sailboats to steal in the Bahamas, and from there you can get anywhere. It's really not that hard to just rock up in any country, tie off the boat, go ashore and disappear.

My guess is he'll be getting hooked up with more than shoes in the Bahamian correctional system...

Yeah, with some weed and coke cut with cherry flavored baby laxative... You guys are all dreaming about what's going to happen to him. He's committed only crimes against property. By the time the trials (or most likely plea bargaining) are over, he'll have time served (probably 6-9 months) + 45 days, 7 years probation and counseling. Our system is too crowded with violent offenders and mandatory senting rules drug offenders to waste any space on this kid who didn't exhibit any violent tendencies in his crimes. Even if he gets sentenced for 5 years, they'll boot him out after a year max to make room for a shooter or drug dealer. Bahamians will get rid of him quickly as they're full up with Haitians.

In Bahamian Law the fact that they allegedly found a gun on him complicates matters because, whenever you commit a crime, even if you're not using a gun, but you have a gun in your possession, it makes things much more difficult.

Last edited:
The fact that they allegedly found a gun on him complicates matters because, whenever you commit a crime, even if you're not using a gun, but you have a gun in your possession, it makes things much more difficult.

That will get plead out in the first 5 minutes of negotiations, especially since he wasn't caught with it in the US. The Bahamians have different rules to play by than the US, and I doubt they want to keep him. If he didn't threaten them with it, I doubt it'll be a major hurdle. He'll probably come to court in NW Washington and considering the people who make up juries for the most part, I doubt it's something the prosecutor is wanting to go to court over.

He committed crimes, including a threat to shoot a homeowner, in states other than Washington. Hopefully, he'll be tried in one or more of those states too.

Seems he's eligible for punishment in each of the states for theft of property, US federal for the aviation crimes, and the Bahamas for the thefts and weapons charge. A short time in each could add up to some serious time, if each jurisdiction chooses to prosecute.

Looks like the idea of a long time in a Bahamian jail is out....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-cb-bahamas-teenfugit,0,5344273.story

I'm not pleased about what he told Bahamian police about why he chose the Bahamas as a destination.....

'Harris-Moore told police in the Bahamas that he came to the country, located off the Florida coast, because it has so many islands, airports and docks, according to an officer who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case. '

Hoping this doesn't result in making it more difficult for us law-abiding folks to fly in and visit.......

Looks like the idea of a long time in a Bahamian jail is out....

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/chi-ap-cb-bahamas-teenfugit,0,5344273.story

I'm not pleased about what he told Bahamian police about why he chose the Bahamas as a destination.....

'Harris-Moore told police in the Bahamas that he came to the country, located off the Florida coast, because it has so many islands, airports and docks, according to an officer who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to discuss the case. '

Hoping this doesn't result in making it more difficult for us law-abiding folks to fly in and visit.......

$300 fine and a trip home when the boat he stole had the engine shot out to stop him? Much less he damaged other boats trying to steal them and robbed a a restaurant on the island.

I'll tell ya. The kid's gonna skate.

$300 fine and a trip home when the boat he stole had the engine shot out to stop him? Much less he damaged other boats trying to steal them and robbed a a restaurant on the island.

I'll tell ya. The kid's gonna skate.
No, it's even better. "His lawyer, Monique Gomez, said the U.S. Embassy would pay the fine."
:confused::confused::confused:

Back