Ballpark price for entire exp panel

Discussion in 'Home Builders and Sport Pilots' started by Let'sgoflying!, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:46 PM.

1. Let'sgoflying!

Let'sgoflying! Touchdown! Greaser!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Flight instruments, engine gauges, radios - everything on the panel.
    Include ADS-B.
    Exclude labor, plumbing and wiring but include everything such as sensors, antennae etc which normally come with a new purchase.
    Think Sears, not Neiman Marcus quality.

2. FORANE

FORANE Cleared for Takeoff

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    Is Sears IFR?

3. kyleb

kyleb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    $18 k for Garmin hardware. $1500 for harnesses. $750 to cut, paint, and label the panel. $500 in switches. $2-5k to assemble & deliver. Includes autopilot and servos. VFR.

I've got recent quotes on all of this.

4. Grum.Man

Grum.Man Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    Last time I priced a new panel for the Venture it was between 30-40k for an IFR panel with autopilot depending on how much redundancy you want. That is all new of course, buying a used older GPS will cut about 6k off the price. That included a second nav/com, two screens, redundant instruments, and redundant hardware for the screens.

5. unsafervguy

unsafervguy Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    bob
    Between a couple of hundred bucks to 100k depending on what you want in it.

Bob

6. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    yes

7. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Do the notes above include flight instruments as well as radios?

8. kyleb

kyleb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    The figure I gave above was a G3X Touch (10" screen) with engine instruments and a compliant ADS-B GPS (just a signal, not a navigator). A Garmin remote experimental ADSB (in and out), their remote experimental radio, an audio panel for a 4 place aircraft, and Garmin's autopilot controller and servos. If you want to PM me an e-mail address, I'll find and e-mail you the quotes. I have not negotiated the prices and do not know if there is much, if any, room for negotiation.

Let'sgoflying! likes this.
  9. Z06tink72

Z06tink72 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    My z06 is faster than your C172
    I just got a quote for a nice rv-10 ifr panel. Twin skyview, backup mini-x, avidyne 440, very nice audio, adsb in /out, Xpndr. Right at $30k

10. kyleb

kyleb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    Drake the Outlaw
    What does that include? Hardware? Harnesses? Panel cutting/painting/labeling? Integration? You can easily spend thousands on integration, panel cutting, and harnesses...

11. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    IMG_3277.JPG G3X Touch with engine mgmt package, 2 autopilot servos, remote comm, remote ES transponder, GDL39R, two GPS antennae, comm antenna, txp antenna, all the required connectors- $14K. (No XM capability, that costs more)

For my local avionics shop to pin and wire up the boxes already mounted on a tray I made to install behind the panel- $6200.00 (holy crap, that's a lot of wires. In my case all labeled with a wire printer, otherwise connecting them would be much more time consuming)

Installing the magnetometer in the wing and then my radio equipment tray and connecting everything up in the airplane- several days, and I'm talking about an uncovered Cub with wide open access. I'm missing a couple of small items to finish my own install.

In my plane the price of the Garmin parts is about 50% of the total installation cost.

12. Stewartb

Stewartb En-Route

Display Name:

Display name:
    stewartb
    IMG_3335.JPG FWIW if I had the space I'd have dual displays. Not that it isn't easy to toggle through the displays on one screen but one for nav and one for engine would be nice it there was space. In my case not nice enough to use the smaller 7" displays so I stayed with a single 10". I priced the Dynon Skyview system and it was about identical to the Garmin package. GRT and MGL never made my list but you could get those systems for a little less money. If economy was my priority I could have blended a digital engine monitor with steam gauges for less than the Garmin. That wouldn't have been the right place to economize.

13. Ravioli

Ravioli Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Pasta Man
    Ballpark - $30 - $40k.

The pricing worksheets are readily available at Dynon, Garmin, Advanced, and MGL. Those are the most common in Vans. Loads of discussion about this over on VAF.

14. Acrodustertoo

Acrodustertoo Pattern Altitude

Display Name:

Display name:
    Buford T. Justice
  15. kmacht

kmacht Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    Kmacht
    That is like asking someone how much a car costs. There are too many options and variables out there to give a realistic answer. New car, old car, sports car, SUV, etc.

Personally I have less than $1000 in the panel in my Sonex. I bought a used Stratomaster Ultra from a builder upgrading his panel for $300 including the RDAC, CHT, EGT, Fuel Flow, and Oil Temp/Pressure sensors. On top of that I have a Icom A6 handheld hardwired into an intercom and external antenna. I bought the Icom for $150 used at the airventure aeromart one year. Same deal for the intercom and antenna ($50 for both). I bought a used backup airspeed indicator for $60 from another Oshkosh vendor. The transponder is a KT-76A with encoder that I picked up used for $180. Wire and connectors were probably around another $80 or $100. I wanted a backup attitude indicator so I found an old PC-EFIS one in the aeromart one year that runs off of a compaq IPAQ PDA for $50. Surprisingly it still worked. The compass was from a marine boat store. For GPS I use my phone running the free avare software. I also have a av8or GPS for a backup but never use it. The only thing I bought new was an instrument that is a combination G-meter, volt meter, clock and timer. I think it was around $125.

Mine is just a very simple VFR only panel with no fancy bells and whistles. I could have easily spent more on the panel than I had in the entire plane if I wanted to. Almost all of my flying is just around the local area yanking and banking for an hour or two at a time. The panel was still good enough to get me to Oshkosh and back from Connecticut though.

Keith
    Sonex #554

TFulwider likes this.
  16. tsts4

tsts4 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    This is the breakdown for my panel back in 2012: Total $32,229

- 2-screen Garmin G3X EFIS with 6-cylinder Lycoming sensor package- $12,500
    - GTN 650 $10,250
    - SL 30 $3,950
    - GTX 23ES transponder $2,199
    - PMA 5000EX audio panel $995
    - TruTrak Gemini backup PFD $1,300
    - trays for the above $648
    - TruTrak GX Pilot 2-axis autopilot $1,865

This all came with a partial harness from SteinAir and I did the complete install myself. As noted these are prices from 4 years ago and I believe prices have dropped in general, especially for EFIS components.

17. Grum.Man

Grum.Man Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Grum.Man
    Was that with dual ADHRS boxes or just one? That's pretty much what I had quoted except for I added a couple of steam backup gauges instead of the Gemini backup.

18. tsts4

tsts4 Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Auburntsts
    Just one, the largish GSU 73. Today with the small GSU 25's I'd have most likely sprung for 2.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    Grum.Man likes this.
  19. Z06tink72

Z06tink72 Pre-Flight

Display Name:

Display name:
    My z06 is faster than your C172
    Thats just all the hardware. Displays, button panels, AP servos, radio, xpnder etc. I plan on doing the wiring and panel cutting stuff myself. Hell at $30k just for the hardware I don't really have any other options.

20. FORANE

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    I have had my avionics guy make a harness based on what I plan to install and interconnect. it can be pretty inexpensive and money well spent.

21. Datadriver

Datadriver Line Up and Wait

Display Name:

Display name:
    Datadriver
    is that ADS-B in, out, or both?

22. Let'sgoflying!

Display Name:

Display name:
    Dave Taylor
    Sears version please; out only

23. FORANE

Display Name:

Display name:
    FORANE
    Ads-b in/out is available for experimentals pretty inexpensively. might be able to get a real deal with an Ads600-EXP right now if you are willing to gamble.