Bacon supposedly bad....

Man that reindeer bacon I had in Juneau! Wonderful!

upload_2017-3-7_20-41-55.png

What do you mean? I think I agree with what you're saying but I'm curious as to what angle you're coming from?

I don't care if I live to 80,90,100.
I want to enjoy the journey to whenever the end is.
Not to say I am going to have bacon sandwiches every day - but I am not going to let researchers scare me off having some enjoyment in life.

I do not remember a single bacon recall in 2018. However, there were numerous vegetable recalls. Just saying.

Hang in there. Eggs were bad for a long time, but are now good. Bacon will be rehabilitated at some point, but why wait?

I thought eggs were bad again, or is that milk?

Did California Prop 65 coffee and label all coffee known to contain a chemical that causes cancer? I know they were thinking about it.

Who can keep this crap straight anyway?

I thought eggs were bad again, or is that milk?

Did California Prop 65 coffee and label all coffee known to contain a chemical that causes cancer? I know they were thinking about it.

Who can keep this crap straight anyway?

PRK... where if it tastes good or you want more than a tiny portion of it on your plate, the government and the green lifestyle weirdos want it banned.

The candied bacon appetizer at a local restaurant. Yeah, it's all that!

258s.jpg

PRK... where if it tastes good or you want more than a tiny portion of it on your plate, the government and the green lifestyle weirdos want it banned.
Actually I think it's easily explainable: At one point in time there were significantly bad things to be identified and dealt with. Asbestos dust, DDT, etc. The government hired people to analyze and solve these problems.

Those people are still there. But all the low-hanging fruit has been picked, so to justify their paychecks they are drowning mice in obscure chemicals, finding that this is bad for the mice, and extrapolating that to part-per-billion limits for humans. The opportunities to do this are probably only limited by the mouse supply, so as long as these folks can continue to keep the public alarmed with groundless extrapolations, their funding and their jobs are secure.

...they are drowning mice in obscure chemicals, finding that this is bad for the mice, and extrapolating that to part-per-billion limits for humans. ..

Give them cats. Let them find out cats kill mice. They can then ban cats since 1cat is detrimental to all mice.

With no cats, Chinese restaurants go out of business resulting in no demand for MSG, therefore MSG ceases to be produced and humans can live happily ever after.

And the researchers will be out of a job.

I cure my own bacon ...
Yup, me too. I have an 11# belly sitting right now waiting to meet the slicer. 25 hours of apple smoke. God knows what the good-food-elimination corps would think of that.

My cure recipe is dead simple, too: Morton's Tender Quick used according to the box directions. The recipes that have flavorings like maple syrup can only flavor the surface because the flavorings are generally not fat soluble. (Commercial "maple" bacon involves injecting the flavoring.) So I don't bother with flavors any more other than smoke, lots of smoke.

Yup, me too. I have an 11# belly sitting right now waiting to meet the slicer. 25 hours of apple smoke. God knows what the good-food-elimination corps would think of that.

My cure recipe is dead simple, too: Morton's Tender Quick used according to the box directions. The recipes that have flavorings like maple syrup can only flavor the surface because the flavorings are generally not fat soluble. (Commercial "maple" bacon involves injecting the flavoring.) So I don't bother with flavors any more other than smoke, lots of smoke.

I prefer Prague #1 vs. Tender Quick due nitrites vs. nitrates, but there are many thoughts on this subject.

https://amazingribs.com/tested-reci...ing-and-injecting/science-curing-meats-safely

Wait. We should PROMOTE this idea, so prices will go down for those of use who will still partake. Then there will be more money left to spend on healthcare later if the naysayers prove to be right.

Ok, so my wife was cleaning out the 'fridge and found a few pieces of bacon in the package. It was mostly green, so she washed it off and cooked it. Then fed it to the dogs. Should I be worried.??

Ok, so my wife was cleaning out the 'fridge and found a few pieces of bacon in the package. It was mostly green, so she washed it off and cooked it. Then fed it to the dogs. Should I be worried.??
Depends on how well you cook the dogs.

Back