Awful pictures in For Sale ads - post your examples!

RussR

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Russ
Like most of us, I browse the "For Sale" ads occasionally. I always have to wonder what some people are thinking. I don't know about you, but any time I've sold something, I take a few minutes to at least try to make it look nice before taking pictures. But you see pictures of airplanes with trash in them, headset cords and water bottles laying about, etc. I'm not talking about a full detailing here, but sometimes it just amazes me what people post in their ads.

For example, you don't need to be a professional photographer to know that maybe you should do something about the glare here. Like, turn the airplane a little. Or wait for another time of day? (This was the only panel picture.)

173918-1638744631-915128.jpg

What awful pictures have you seen in airplane for sale ads?

Hi all,

I am in need of advice from experienced folks in the aviation community.

Being a new member here I'm not able to start a new thread so I thought I'd try to find a recent post that was related to selling an airplane, that I could reply on. Apologies for not staying on topic with the above post.

My grandfather has been flying his whole life but as he is aging now, thinks we should sell our airplane and switch to renting. With the current market, how should we go about doing that? It's a 2008 G1000 Cessna Turbo 182.

I got my PPL a year ago and have been loving sharing this new hobby with my grandfather, but neither of us have a clue as to the best way to sell a plane. Since we won't be buying a new airplane, trading in is not an option. I've seen posts about folks selling their airplanes themselves, through brokers etc.

Curious what you all think would be the best course of action for our plane and in this market.

Cheers!

First, welcome to POA.

With your experience (or rather lack of it), I recommend finding a good knowledgeable broker.

Now the question is "how do you find a good broker". That might not be as easy as it sounds, but my primary suggestion is get recommendations and don't rely on advertisements. Repeat "Do not rely on advertisements".

Where do live?

My grandfather has been flying his whole life but as he is aging now, thinks we should sell our airplane and switch to renting. With the current market, how should we go about doing that? It's a 2008 G1000 Cessna Turbo 182.

1. Wash the plane and take exterior pictures of it yourself, on a sunny day in front of the hangar.
2. If super clear images, do same for interior otherwise shoot those IN the hangar to eliminate glare.
3. Barnstormers moves a lot of planes ... my previous plane sold in 6 hours, had 10 serious offers with the next 3 in line ready to place a deposit. Sold for more than the asking price also.
4. Be careful using VREF programs to estimate value, it may mess up severely. Planes are priced WAY higher than normal right now.
5. You can use a broker, but the buyers calling me liked that I had all the information available, the full mechanical history and ALL logs scanned to PDF that I could send to their email.

good luck ...

Hi all,

Being a new member here I'm not able to start a new thread so I thought I'd try to find a recent post that was related to selling an airplane, that I could reply on. Apologies for not staying on topic with the above post.

I got my PPL a year ago and have been loving sharing this new hobby with my grandfather, but neither of us have a clue as to the best way to sell a plane. Since we won't be buying a new airplane, trading in is not an option. I've seen posts about folks selling their airplanes themselves, through brokers etc.

Curious what you all think would be the best course of action for our plane and in this market.

Cheers!
Perhaps Van Bortel?

There does appear to be a lot of scrap metal on that plane. Maybe it came from a Cessna and once you crossed a certain percentage threshold you have to change the type

Hi all,

Cheers!

Take a look at these two websites and see how others are doing it. You will likely get an idea how much your grandfather’s plane will sell for and what info and pictures you should put in your ad. It’s pretty simple really.

http://trade-a-plane.com/
https://www.controller.com/

I love the post on FB that start out with "keep your comments to your self" or "if you aren't interested move along". That might as well say, I know it's overpriced but maybe there is a sucker on here.

Well, you can save $2,100 if you have nerves of steel. It has one Hershey bar and one tapered wing... On most flights ONLY one mag goes out-- rarely both... Although sometimes it dumps all of it's engine oil without warning... Probably should replace that line... Will Trade for a Hardley Davidson road bike.

For the price if $152 million you’d think they could show a photo, even a bad one.

And why show “call for price” when the price is shown?
1ACCA516-EE9D-4CAF-95D1-E87A0DBA6DA8.jpeg

Last edited:
If your buying a brand new Airbus 350, you already know what plane you are buying. No pics requires.

There does appear to be a lot of scrap metal on that plane. Maybe it came from a Cessna and once you crossed a certain percentage threshold you have to change the type

Please tell me "no damage history" was also listed somewhere in the ad.

Item Description

1970 AEROSTAR 601, 230 HRS SMOH ON ENGINES, NEEDS PROPS, 2297 TT, IFR, GPS 430s, (FXE) FL. CALL FOR MORE INFORMATION

Like most of us, I browse the "For Sale" ads occasionally. I always have to wonder what some people are thinking. I don't know about you, but any time I've sold something, I take a few minutes to at least try to make it look nice before taking pictures. But you see pictures of airplanes with trash in them, headset cords and water bottles laying about, etc. I'm not talking about a full detailing here, but sometimes it just amazes me what people post in their ads.

For example, you don't need to be a professional photographer to know that maybe you should do something about the glare here. Like, turn the airplane a little. Or wait for another time of day? (This was the only panel picture.)

173918-1638744631-915128.jpg

What awful pictures have you seen in airplane for sale ads?

Oh, I thought you said "Mooney shot, not money shot!"

A fellow on the board once asked me to get some shots of an airplane he was interested in buying. The aircraft was in a hangar near mine, so I walked over one day and while the owner was there started shooting. The owner seemed somewhat resentful, indicating that he felt there were sufficient photos of the airplane.

Some people are so amazingly clueless.

Item Description

1970 AEROSTAR 601, 230 HRS SMOH ON ENGINES, NEEDS PROPS, 2297 TT, IFR, GPS 430s, (FXE) FL. CALL FOR MORE INFORMATION

I don’t understand what the video has to do with the ad.

The video was from the day before the ad appeared - same plane. After the gear-up touch-and-go, the pilot flew 80 some miles home with bent props.
That is not an aerostar

*edit* I was wrong. For some reason I remember that as being a different plane.

Last edited:
OMG,…. Seriously. I’m ROFL.

"Scrape & go!" (cleared for the option?) :D

While not the worst advertising picture, probably not one I would use when selling an airplane. Can you spot the concern? :eek:
Inkedlarge_image_1709340_14_1640461860_LI.jpg

Attachments

• large_image_1709340_14_1640461860.jpeg
    large_image_1709340_14_1640461860.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 13
Are people hanging onto early 2000s cell phones just in case they put something expensive up for sale and need the camera?

I've never understood why people will post ads for something high $ and take one or two blurry images. Almost everyone has a decent-excellent camera built into their phone these days and it's not like you're charged by the photo.

that’s the technology that shuts the engine off for sequencing, correct? o_O:)

Yes. It guarantees ATC will clear you direct and you are “number 1 for landing, any runway” which is nice. Those 30 mile straight in approaches once reserved for only Cirrus SR22 passengers can now be the option for the ContiFord STC group.

Hi all,

Cheers!

Remy, do you have it listed for sale yet?

Back