Aviator’s Timepiece

mscard88,

Is that a Swiss movement? ;)

This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

I’ve debated getting a omega moon watch a few times.

Stop resisting. :) We really don't need a watch in the plane much anymore but every time I look at mine I think of all the great aviators and the history they made wearing one.

This is a Rouchefoucauld. The thinnest water-resistant watch in the world. Singularly unique, sculptured in design, hand-crafted in Switzerland, and water resistant to three atmospheres. This is *the* sports watch of the '80s. It tells time simultaneously in Monte Carlo, Beverly Hills, London, Paris, Rome, and Gstaad.

In Philadelphia, it's worth $50.

Well played....

No need to stay stuck in the ‘80s. The famed Rouchefoucauld has been updated for this century. http://www.dezinvanluxe.nl/rouchefoucauld-komt-na-28-jaar-terug-met-world-complication/

You can expect to pay around $28k to $30k retail, but they can often be found in Philadelphia pawn shops for around $75.

upload_2018-11-9_16-58-9.jpeg

Birthday gift from my wife last year when I was finishing my sport ticket.

View attachment 68945

It's not really useful for flying, but I like the look and enjoy wearing it. It's on my wrist right now, in fact. I can't read the E6 bezel without reading glasses, and I wouldn't try to use it in the plane.

For flying, I wear either my G-Shock or an inexpensive Casio analog with a timing bezel and stopwatch dials. I prefer the timing bezel since it's easy to set and read and I can read off both elapsed time and time of day. When flying I use the bezel to time legs and the stopwatch to time fuel since engine start.

Seiko does make some pretty stuff, very good bang for the buck, like the PA24 of watches :)

I have the Casio edifice which has a fully functional CR-3 computer with the tiniest numbers that would be completely impossible to use in flight but looks impressive to people who have no idea what it is. The only use I get from it is I have it set to zulu time and the timers are cool to watch.

I have a $20 Casio for play and a new Swiss Wenger. I'll have to search for some pics... There's a 30-something year old Seiko chronograph somewhere as well.

I have this Casio Gravity Master aviator watch. Solar powered, GPS, atomic, automatically adjusts to DST, etc.
Accurate all the time within 1 sec. I land in a new time zone and the watch will adjust. I have the zulu time set on the smaller dial. Wear it and forget it type of watch, absolutely brilliant.

casio-g-shock-gravitymaster-200m-water-resistance-bluetooth-gps-3zj0rs.jpg

I don’t have a watch. I stand north an put my finer on my open palm. Doesn’t work well at night though.

This will not help me become a better pilot, but I’ll try anything.

I recently purchased an automatik German Laco Pilot Watch, a “FliegerUhr”. The minutes and seconds are most prominent in this timepiece. Photos attached.

Please share your aviation timepiece!

I like it. That's a beautiful watch.

Apple Watch 4. Mine displays my home strip's Aeroweather METAR on the main face all the time. Touch it and I can pick other METARs and TAFs from a list I created. It also keeps time, has timers, plays music, answers phone calls, displays messages and emails in a flash. I had a Gen 1 before this one. I really like the 4.

Another vote for the Rolex GMT-II

I’ve had mine for longer than I care to admit
This is why I sold my GMT BLNR. Saw too many of them in the FBOs. Switched over to Royal Oaks. Haven't see another pilot with one in the last year.

My wife gave me one 40 years ago after graduation from Biz School. Never left my wrist except for overhauls every five years or so. Go for it.

Cheers

Big fan of mine (engagement present), but I have a few others that get wrist time - particularly a Torgoen which I think was a really good value. Citizen Nighthawk is a recent purchase I’m enjoying.

Attachments

• A35E5A3B-1A2F-4B9F-B797-9F20CC5A248E.jpeg
    A35E5A3B-1A2F-4B9F-B797-9F20CC5A248E.jpeg
    157.2 KB · Views: 67
I don’t have a watch. I stand north an put my finer on my open palm. Doesn’t work well at night though.

Ravioli's True Story Time:
When I was a teenager I was a summer lifeguard at the city pools. I used the string of my swim trunks pulled between fingers two and three to make a sundial.

The kids were were pretty funny... they would always ask me what time it is when they thought they could stump me. So if it was cloudy, or when I was on the chair in the shade, or whatever.

They didn't realize I could see an actual clock from many areas of the pool. Also, we rotated positions every 15 minutes.

Pretty fun way to sit outside and make $5/hour. [Early 80's]

Here's my "pilots watch" The transponder has all the timer functions I need. Flt time, Count Up, etc.

I also have a Garmin D2. Can't remember the last time it was out of its box.

movado-defio-black-dial-stainless-steel-men_s-watch-0606333_1.jpg
That thing's useless without numbers!

I have a Timex Ironman. And a Garmin watch that has fitbit like functions.

One cost $35, one (the Garmin) was a gift and probably cost $120.

And then, there's the Breitling. It is currently sitting in a drawer, non-functional. A watch where the maintenance and repair costs have exceeded the purchase price of the watch. A huge source of frustration for me having a pricey watch that *%$#!! breaks all the time.

E2A88572-008B-4843-98CE-0F32B146B8CA.jpeg

I have skinny little bird wrists and have a hard time finding watches that fit me. I’d wanted a rolex for awhile and my wrists dictated that I either got the Explorer or Air-King. The big numbers and name made it a pretty easy choice for me. I love it.

15400 and 15710 for me. I didn't know there was another gentleman of that caliber on this thread. Especially that 15202

Watches have been brought up in the past here and never got much of a response. I’m surprised to see some of the responses in this thread about some nice watches. Although I’ve got ‘the bug’ and consider myself an enthusiast, I guess I’m not “a gentleman of that caliber” since I don’t own. I guess I’ll be slummin’ so I can afford more avgas.

View attachment 68972

I have skinny little bird wrists and have a hard time finding watches that fit me. I’d wanted a rolex for awhile and my wrists dictated that I either got the Explorer or Air-King. The big numbers and name made it a pretty easy choice for me. I love it.
I have an explorer 2 and it's just a great all around watch. I like the look of the AK too.

15400 and 15710 for me. I didn't know there was another gentleman of that caliber on this thread. Especially that 15202

I love the diver, I had a ROO Safari for a while, but it was just to realize (once again) that I'm a metal bracelet kind of guy.

An AP I had once and was stupid enough to sell was this one. One day I will buy it back. 25960BC, ROC in WG.

20160601_130607 by https://www.flickr.com/photos/125913631@N03/, on Flickr

Last edited:
I have an explorer 2 and it's just a great all around watch. I like the look of the AK too.

I think the Explorer 2 actually looked better on my wrist, but this was a function over form decision as I do wear it while working. The big numbers are much easier for me to interpret at a glance. I will be adding an explorer to my lineup as well as some point. Probably when I send the AK in for its first service. I’m probably in the bottom end of the income bracket to be able to foray into the fancy watch world, so it’s probably 3-5 years between acquisitions, although I would like to have a collection one day.

btw Mikko, I didn’t know you were into horology!

Last edited:
I love the diver, I had a ROO Safari for a while, but it was just to realize (once again) that I'm a metal bracelet kind of guy.

An AP I had once and was stupid enough to sell was this one. One day I will buy it back. 25960BC, ROC in WG.

20160601_130607 by , on Flickr
A WG RO, there is a piece dreams are made of. I was very close to getting a 15400OR on the strap but realized I would very rarely be able to do the YG look. It's way too dressy for it to be my daily. That's why a WG would be top choice for me. Or platinum

A WG RO, there is a piece dreams are made of. I was very close to getting a 15400OR on the strap but realized I would very rarely be able to do the YG look. It's way too dressy for it to be my daily. That's why a WG would be top choice for me. Or platinum

I’m trying to find a nice light brown leather strap to go on my AK. That would complete my PNW hipster look very well lol.

Phones are nice, until they get too cold or too hot. When I flew in Barrow it would get too cold and stay that way all day.

That's true. I took mine outside this summer to listen to music on the back deck when it was 100 degrees and I wanted to get some vitamin D and it didnt like that. It shut itself down. So I put it in an insulated mailer with a cold pac from the freezer so I could stay out in the sun with it. It Bluetooths music into my hearing aids so being in the package wasn't a problem. But I learned not to leave it lying in the sun.

Haven't worn a watch since my Seiko exploded while at work one day. Would love to have a Breitling Cocpit B50, but no way I'm dropping 9 grand on a watch.

Haven't worn a watch since my Seiko exploded while at work one day. Would love to have a Breitling Cocpit B50, but no way I'm dropping 9 grand on a watch.
At least for the 9 grand your watch will actually do something. My 3 had AP for almost 19 grand only tells the time and date.

I use my cell phone....but then again I hate wearing jewelry....I wore my wedding ring the day I got it for a picture...it sits in a drawer...

I tried just using my cell phone, but it’s too bulky on my wrist.

I'm lost without a watch. Wore an Omega Constellation for 24 years, loved it. But Omega wanted far too much to repair it when the crown pulled out resetting time crossing zones . . . Now I have a TAG HEUER that is (sadly) larger in diameter and three times as thick. "But that's the style now" doesn't keep the tall bezel from snagging on my shirt sleeves. Of course, the Constellation was the thinnest watch in production.

I think the Explorer 2 actually looked better on my wrist, but this was a function over form decision as I do wear it while working. The big numbers are much easier for me to interpret at a glance. I will be adding an explorer to my lineup as well as some point. Probably when I send the AK in for its first service. I’m probably in the bottom end of the income bracket to be able to foray into the fancy watch world, so it’s probably 3-5 years between acquisitions, although I would like to have a collection one day.

btw Mikko, I didn’t know you were into horology!

I've worn watches, mostly mechanical, for a long time now. Even before they were cool!

My wife claims I have a problem. I'm on my Rolex nr. 130 now I think.

If you're looking for an Exp2, I've got a 42mm Polar for sale...

Back