Aviation Aggravations

Re: Aviation Aggrivations

Chicago Tracon...
That probably is the most aggravating for me, and I don't even fly in their airspace. I've suggested this before - every time they "can't hear you", file an ASRS report.

-Felix

Never. There is nothing in the pre-solo or PP training requirements to learn to read and interpret IFR charts.
Below is a call in the same format. Should a non-IR PP, or even a Student Pilot, at his home drome of KCMX, have any problem with this announcement?

"Houghton County traffic, Sabreliner one two three four alpha GALEY inbound descending through two thousand five hundred ILS approach runway three one Houghton County."
The real question is whether the pilot of the inbound aircraft should expect pilots in the pattern to know where GALEY is, and there is absolutely no basis in any FAA publication to expect a non-IR PP or Student to have the slightest idea where GALEY is. I put this on a par with Tower controllers asking you to report, or people in a nontowerd airport pattern reporting, the Bongo building or Lake Smedley or "the gravel pit" (especially when there's more than one, but only one which is the locally-known point) when it isn't on the sectional. Local folks may know these local reporting points, but transient pilots.
The problem with that is other pilots don't know how Cessna 2143Q determined he was five miles south. It could be just an estimate, and many pilots are very poor at estimating distance.
What difference does that make? Are you saying that we should automatically assume that pilots who say where they are aren't really there?
If a pilot states he's over a known fix I trust him to be there,
Based on my experience, that is an unjustified assumption -- doveryai, no proveryai.
Personally, I prefer the fix be stated followed by the distance:

"Sabreliner one two three four alpha GALEY inbound, four miles southeast, descending through two thousand five hundred ILS approach runway three one."
Prefer all you want, but if it's gonna be one or the other, you're only sure the SP/PP will understand it if you give distance and direction, not a fix name. Also, what's the point of saying "ILS approach"? Wasted bandwidth, and nothing more. Does it matter whether the inbound aircraft is using the ILS vs GPS vs RNAV vs Mk1/Mod0 eyeball to find the runway? Not to the VFR traffic in the pattern.

After the first couple posts between Jesse and Felix, I figured out their game...

Besides, Felix couldn't outfly a pressurized, wet paper bag.

And Jesse... though he may be dumb enough to hack into a government phone system, he hardly has the skill. :p

:D

Also, what's the point of saying "ILS approach"? Wasted bandwidth, and nothing more. Does it matter whether the inbound aircraft is using the ILS vs GPS vs RNAV vs Mk1/Mod0 eyeball to find the runway? Not to the VFR traffic in the pattern.
I can see the point of saying which approach is being flown: a precision approach will have the inbound aircraft flying a glideslope, while a nonprecision approach may well have the inbound aircraft dropping down low just past the FAF and staying there until the runway (or other missed approach point).

What I'm referring to is someone who is a private pilot or recreational flyer that insist on being addressed as Captain. Also in this group are the rating collectors that really never worked in commercial aviation or flew anything bigger than a light twin.

Can't say that I've run into someone like that myself...

That is rather funny, along with dork bars in GA. I have flown singles bigger than most light twins and usually the only people who call me captain can't pronounce my name... But then, I have earned the title....

No problem with those who have worked and earned the title.

I never use the title outside of my workplace and would rather my friends address me by my name.

Never. There is nothing in the pre-solo or PP training requirements to learn to read and interpret IFR charts.I don't think it's reasonable to expect a non-IR PP, no less a Student Pilot, to know where any IFR fixes are.

GALEY is on the sectional. Is there nothing in the pre-solo or PP training requirements about learning to read and interpret VFR charts?

The real question is whether the pilot of the inbound aircraft should expect pilots in the pattern to know where GALEY is, and there is absolutely no basis in any FAA publication to expect a non-IR PP or Student to have the slightest idea where GALEY is.
Are Advisory Circulars included in the pre-solo or PP training requirements?

Advisory Circular 90-42F

TRAFFIC ADVISORY PRACTICES AT AIRPORTS WITHOUT OPERATING CONTROL TOWERS

11. EXAMPLES OF SELF-ANNOUNCE PHRASEOLOGIES. It should be noted that aircraft operating to or from another nearby airport may be making self-announce broadcasts on the same UNICOM or MULTICOM frequency. To help identify one airport from another, the airport name should be spoken at the beginning and end of each self-announce transmission.

(3) Practice Instrument Approach:

STRAWN TRAFFIC, CESSNA TWO ONE FOUR THREE QUEBEC (NAME - FINAL APPROACH FIX) INBOUND DESCENDING THROUGH (ALTITUDE) PRACTICE (TYPE) APPROACH RUNWAY THREE FIVE STRAWN.​

I put this on a par with Tower controllers asking you to report, or people in a nontowerd airport pattern reporting, the Bongo building or Lake Smedley or "the gravel pit" (especially when there's more than one, but only one which is the locally-known point) when it isn't on the sectional.
But GALEY is on the sectional. In a previous message you wrote, "I don't think it's reasonable to expect a non-IR PP, no less a Student Pilot, to know where any IFR fixes are." Do you believe things depicted on the sectional are fair game as long as they aren't IFR fixes?

What difference does that make? Are you saying that we should automatically assume that pilots who say where they are aren't really there?
I'm saying a reported distance is unreliable unless the pilot states how he determined it.

Based on my experience, that is an unjustified assumption -- doveryai, no proveryai.
It's not an assumption, it's an observation.

Prefer all you want, but if it's gonna be one or the other, you're only sure the SP/PP will understand it if you give distance and direction, not a fix name.
I don't think an unreliable report in a more readily understood format is particularly useful, so if it's gonna be one or the other I'll go with stating the fix.

But it doesn't have to be one or the other, it can be both.

Also, what's the point of saying "ILS approach"? Wasted bandwidth, and nothing more.
I don't know, you'll have to ask the folks that wrote the AC. As I said, the report was posted using that format. I see no reason to state the IAP.

Last edited:

Not all fixes associated with IAPs are on sectional charts. Your point would be a poor teaching tool.

GALEY is on the sectional. Is there nothing in the pre-solo or PP training requirements about learning to read and interpret VFR charts?

<snip>

But GALEY is on the sectional. In a previous message you wrote, "I don't think it's reasonable to expect a non-IR PP, no less a Student Pilot, to know where any IFR fixes are." Do you believe things depicted on the sectional are fair game as long as they aren't IFR fixes?

Hmm, is it just coincidence that you chose an approach/airport with a NDB that had a five letter identifier (that sounds like it's made up) for your example?

The fact that nobody bothered to look at the chart for your specific example doesn't change the fact that no VFR only PP should be expected to know anything about IFR fixes.

I can see the point of saying which approach is being flown: a precision approach will have the inbound aircraft flying a glideslope, while a nonprecision approach may well have the inbound aircraft dropping down low just past the FAF and staying there until the runway (or other missed approach point).

But there is no reason to expect that a VFR only private pilot would understand either of those things.

Not all fixes associated with IAPs are on sectional charts. Your point would be a poor teaching tool.

+1

But there is no reason to expect that a VFR only private pilot would understand either of those things.
Perhaps not, but it is additional information that would actually be useful to a nonzero subset of pilots, and takes little enough time to say that it's worth including.

Hmm, is it just coincidence that you chose an approach/airport with a NDB that had a five letter identifier (that sounds like it's made up) for your example?

I chose an airport with an LOM that's depicted on the sectional. I believe all LOMs have five letter identifiers.

The fact that nobody bothered to look at the chart for your specific example doesn't change the fact that no VFR only PP should be expected to know anything about IFR fixes.
Even IFR fixes that happen to appear on the sectional?

Not all fixes associated with IAPs are on sectional charts.

Nobody said they were. Is a fix that is on the sectional off limits for self-announce purposes if it happens to be associated with an IAP?

I chose an airport with an LOM that's depicted on the sectional. I believe all LOMs have five letter identifiers.
Okkay, how about this one: "Worthington traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, WONDD inbound descending through 3300, practice ILS 29 approach, Worthington." WONDD isn't on the sectional, even though it's an LOM.

Then there's the minor matter of non-ILS approaches. Let's try "Slayton traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, APEWO inbound descending through 3300, practice GPS 35 approach, Slayton." How's the VFR pilot supposed to know where APEWO is? The only place it appears is on that approach plate.

I would say that it's in the IFR piot's best interest to say where WONDD and APEWO are - and GALEY, too. He's got the information readily available on the profile view, and it makes life easier for everyone around.

I would say that it's in the IFR piot's best interest to say where WONDD and APEWO are - and GALEY, too. He's got the information readily available on the profile view, and it makes life easier for everyone around.
+1 yep

Nothing wrong and plenty right with saying something like

Worthington traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, 5 mile final, descending through 3300, practice ILS 29 approach, Worthington."

Now there is no doubt where he is no matter what the listening pilot's quals are.

+1 yep

Nothing wrong and plenty right with saying something like

Worthington traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, 5 mile final, descending through 3300, practice ILS 29 approach, Worthington."

Now there is no doubt where he is no matter what the listening pilot's quals are.
I'd make it even more explicit: "Worthington traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, WONDD inbound, 5 mile final, descending through 3300, practice ILS 29 approach, Worthington." That way, the IFR pilot has the extra information (that you're at the FAF), but the VFR pilot still knows where you are.

I'd make it even more explicit: "Worthington traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, WONDD inbound, 5 mile final, descending through 3300, practice ILS 29 approach, Worthington." That way, the IFR pilot has the extra information (that you're at the FAF), but the VFR pilot still knows where you are.
I am an IFR pilot and that extra would not mean anything to me unless I was very familiar with the approach or had the plate open and was lookiing at it. As an IFR pilot I would recognize that most FAFs seem to be about 5 NM out and would assume that you were at the FAF, but even then it would not change what I would be planning on doing based on your 5 mile report. IOW it would not hurt to add it but I would question how usefull it would really be.

Hm. I just thought of a related question...What's a "four mile left base"? Is it a left base leg that, when the base-to-final turn is made, result in the aircraft being 4 miles out on final? Or does it just mean you're four miles away from the runway, somewhere on a left base? Or does it mean you're on a base leg that will result in a normal length final, but you're four miles away from making the base-to-final turn?

Okkay, how about this one: "Worthington traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, WONDD inbound descending through 3300, practice ILS 29 approach, Worthington." WONDD isn't on the sectional, even though it's an LOM.

Then there's the minor matter of non-ILS approaches. Let's try "Slayton traffic, Zodiac 55ZC, APEWO inbound descending through 3300, practice GPS 35 approach, Slayton." How's the VFR pilot supposed to know where APEWO is? The only place it appears is on that approach plate.

I wouldn't have a problem with any of those calls. What point are you trying to make? I believe I said in an earlier post that my preference was to name the fix and state the distance and direction.

I am an IFR pilot and that extra would not mean anything to me unless I was very familiar with the approach or had the plate open and was lookiing at it. As an IFR pilot I would recognize that most FAFs seem to be about 5 NM out and would assume that you were at the FAF, but even then it would not change what I would be planning on doing based on your 5 mile report. IOW it would not hurt to add it but I would question how usefull it would really be.
I assume it's useful for some purpose...otherwise, why would the AIM say to include it?

I wouldn't have a problem with any of those calls. What point are you trying to make? I believe I said in an earlier post that my preference was to name the fix and state the distance and direction.
My point is that just stating the fix is often insufficient to tell the VFR pilot where the aircraft making the call is. Since many, if not the majority, of FAFs aren't on sectionals, why shouldn't the IFR pilot get in the habit of saying where he is with a direction and distance, instead of just a fix name?

My point is that just stating the fix is often insufficient to tell the VFR pilot where the aircraft making the call is. Since many, if not the majority, of FAFs aren't on sectionals, why shouldn't the IFR pilot get in the habit of saying where he is with a direction and distance, instead of just a fix name?

Direction and distance alone are unreliable. Maybe the pilot determined his position by GPS, or DME, or over a known fix or landmark, but it could also be just an estimate. I've seen many "estimates" off by well over ten miles.

Last edited:

I agree. While Steven's right that some fixes are depicted on the Sectional, I find it unlikely in the extreme that an IFR pilot is going to look at the Sectional to verify that the fix is depicted prior to making the position call. MUCH easier to give a distance. And, while Steven's also right that it would help to know how they're getting their distance, if it's not Mk 1 eyeball it'll be within a mile or two.

I will note, however, that inaccurate position reports have contributed to crashes before. Withess Bob Collins' crash with a student pilot at Waukegan (KUGN).

Nobody said they were. Is a fix that is on the sectional off limits for self-announce purposes if it happens to be associated with an IAP?
Not at all... but, answer me this...

When you first obtained your private pilot certificate and the months up to receiving instruction for your instrument rating, how much attention did you pay to those fixes on the sectional? I doubt very few instructors bring those up in primary training.

Tomorrow's XC for my student will utilize those to a great extent for VOR navigation for determining his location.

When inbound to a non-towered airport, IFR pilots should announce their postion with regard to so many miles from the runway. Forget fixes.

Is a pilot required to have a sectional?

If not, then whether or not a fix is depicted on a sectional is irrelevant.

'Nuff said. In VMC, an accurate distance, bearing, and altitude report is the only thing useful to all pilots. If pilots don't know how to report accurately, they need to work on that.

This reminds me of my "favorite" CTAF mixup; one time I was approaching 4N1 on a busy afternoon (VMC, no IFR traffic). All the locals were calling "over the dam" as they prepared to enter downwind. I was confused, as there are a number of dams in a relatively small area SE of the field. I called my entry over a nearby private airport, a litle farther out, and it created quite a stir.

None of the locals seemed to have ever noticed this paved runway practically next door, on the chart or from the air. They also could not elaborate on which dam was "the dam". They were using a system that worked fine for those in the know, but excluded everyone else.

On the other hand, my chosen landmark made perfect sense, but only if one was looking at a VFR chart.

We were all wrong, really. :D

It's safer to assume that nobody has a chart of any kind, let alone GPS, but has the wherewithal to know their bearing and approximate distance from the airport.

When done correctly, this accomodates everyone. Don't know your bearing and distance to the airport? Well, then, what the hell are you doing entering a patten, when you apparently don't know where you are? Makes sense when you think of it that way. Sure, pilots often guesstimate wrong; sometimes they're even approaching the wrong airport on a matching CTAF (always fun for everyone else).
But calling out IFR fixes when you know there's VFR traffic is irresponsible.... just as much as calling "the dam" or "the Lowe's parking lot" or whatever when you know there are strangers approaching the aiport.

More food for thought: I'd been to 4N1 several times before without creating any controversy, but that was the first time I thought I'd be slick and call something other than bearing, distance and altitude. :D

While I am instrument rated and current, and fly quite a bit IFR, if it is a CAVU day, and I am out flying to places I haven't been to before, or in a while, I may not have perused the instrument charts or memorized where the fixes are. In that case, I will not be any more in the know than any other VFR only pilot. And I seriously doubt that many of the instrument pilots here are going to look closely at the IAP charts unless they have a compelling reason too. Therefore, if it isn't on a sectional chart, it isn't going to give us much information either. It is useful to local instrument pilots, and perhaps those flying IFR in the area, but VFR only pilots have no reason to know where those fixes are.

I can see the argument to include it to some degree, but I don't believe it is as useful as bearing/distance.

when they call this exact move ten miles out and you clearly announce you're in a standard left-hand pattern and they STILL enter opposite of you... they're an inconsiderate ass who clearly does not know or does not care about the standards established in the AIM.

Sorry, but to fly a right pattern when there are no non-standard patterns at that airport makes no sense.

AIM? Who needs the AIM?

14 CFR Part 91 said:
§ 91.126 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class G airspace.

(b) Direction of turns. When approaching to land at an airport without an operating control tower in Class G airspace—

(1) Each pilot of an airplane must make all turns of that airplane to the left unless the airport displays approved light signals or visual markings indicating that turns should be made to the right, in which case the pilot must make all turns to the right...

§ 91.127 Operating on or in the vicinity of an airport in Class E airspace.

(a) Unless otherwise required by part 93 of this chapter or unless otherwise authorized or required by the ATC facility having jurisdiction over the Class E airspace area, each person operating an aircraft on or in the vicinity of an airport in a Class E airspace area must comply with the requirements of §91.126.

Unless it's a right-hand pattern, you are required by the FARs to make all turns to the left.

AIM? Who needs the AIM?

Unless it's a right-hand pattern, you are required by the FARs to make all turns to the left.
I refer to the AIM as it establishes many standards that are not specifically stated in the FARs.

I refer to the AIM as it establishes many standards that are not specifically stated in the FARs.

Yes, but as you know "The AIM is not regulatory" while this particular thing (left turns in the pattern) is. Just tryin' ta help ya out here. ;)

Yes, but as you know "The AIM is not regulatory" while this particular thing (left turns in the pattern) is. Just tryin' ta help ya out here. ;)
I wasn't referring to regulations... only established standards and practices.

Anyone that hates GA pilots checking in way over pattern altitude would absolutely hate to monitor 122.8 around Needles. Holy hell, I heard people checking in at like 13,000ft over Needles, which is near sea level.

Not at all... but, answer me this...

When you first obtained your private pilot certificate and the months up to receiving instruction for your instrument rating, how much attention did you pay to those fixes on the sectional?

Very little, but I spent a great deal prior to and while receiving instruction for my private pilot certificate.

I doubt very few instructors bring those up in primary training.
Why would they need to? They're explained in the legend.

When inbound to a non-towered airport, IFR pilots should announce their postion with regard to so many miles from the runway. Forget fixes.
Stating the fix is better than a guess on the distance.

Last edited:

Is a pilot required to have a radio?

If not, then whether or not a position is reported is irrelevant.

Stating the fix is better than a guess on the distance.
Sorry, Steven, but I (and, from the sound of it, most of the others here) disagree. A guess on the distance at least gives non-instrument pilots some direction to start looking in. A fix that's not depicted on the sectional (and I strongly suspect that the vast majority are not) is useless to the non-instrument pilot. What purpose does it serve to give someone information he can't use?

It's what they don't say, like "cleared for takeoff" when there's a hole three miles long. I have concluded that some of the local tower trainees must have finished well down in their class ranking.

Maybe. And maybe he's a veteran that's cleared a few pilots for takeoff with an inbound on a three mile final and watched that departure mosey on to the runway and stop. Just sit there. Finishing a pretakeoff checklist? Setting the DG? Tightening the belt?

Back