Aviation Aggravations

Re: Aviation Aggrivations

OH, I just thought of one. Sometimes people start their airplanes up at OSH while still in the row of campers and they blow people's tents and stuff all over. Why can't they push them out first and start the airplanes where they won't blow stuff all over? :confused:

OH, and another one. Sometimes people don't offer me a ride in their airplanes. ;)
Oh, and you forgot people who leave their generators running at night at OSH! :nono:

Oh, and you forgot people who leave their generators running at night at OSH! :nono:

Oh, yea, that one too! It's so peaceful at night in the North 40...well, after the parties are over, except for the generator people. :rolleyes: (Sometimes you can hear someone yelling at their neighbor in the next row to "Be quiet!" or "Hey, we're trying to sleep here!") It's kinda funny, unless you're tired and can't sleep.

<-----hey! :smile:

Yea, it get's old really fast. Same with the guys that insist on calling themselves "Captain" even though they've never really earned the title. :frown2:

Sonething that annoyed me as a student pilot was flying in the pattern (solo) and having a group of 20-30 planes- some type club or another come in on a straight-in final, one after another- I was already in the pattern doing touch-n-goes.

I wound up going over the bay and practiced stuff for 1/2 hour until they all landed. It happened at the end of my check ride- I actually asked the DPE if he wanted to see anything else, but I wasn't getting mixed up with that crowd. Millville NJ is a good $100 hamburger stop.

The only thing that truly aggregates me is people complaining about SOPs. Straight-ins are a recognized, valid, and safe way of approaching an airport. Sorry if you don't personally like it, but we all have to make compromises. Please don't tell me on CTAF to fly a "proper" pattern.

I try to respect others' procedures even if they're different than mine.

Re: Aviation Aggraivations

Bad radio work doesn't bother me. I just figure that they're students, or low-time pilots, and cut 'em some slack -- as long as they ultimately spit out the information we all need to know. (And at least they're using the radio!)

My all-time pet peeve, however, is the pilot doing a practice instrument approach who calls out to everyone that he's "Inbound on the VOR-alpha approach" -- as if that means *anything* to any of the students and VFR pilots in the pattern.

It's even better when he ends his missed approach with a low pass -- right smack in the middle of pilots working the pattern -- without saying a word....

:mad2:

The only thing that truly aggregates me is people complaining about SOPs. Straight-ins are a recognized, valid, and safe way of approaching an airport. Sorry if you don't personally like it, but we all have to make compromises. Please don't tell me on CTAF to fly a "proper" pattern.

I try to respect others' procedures even if they're different than mine.
I'm not fond of straight in approaches at airports where there is a lot of activity in the pattern. But, if you ever come into HYI in a fixed wing and announce a right pattern... :mad3:

That happen the other day. I was not a happy camper.

**** happens, people make mistakes, I know I've done the pattern backwards by mistake.

Being an unhappy camper about that which you cannot control makes for living an unhappy life.

Honestly--screwing up the pattern is a lot of fun. It is great upsetting you grumpy people. Sometimes I like to sit in my car by an uncontrolled airport with a handheld radio. Nothing like watching airplanes scramble around the sky as you interject random conflicting radio reports.

Last edited:

I'm not fond of straight in approaches at airports where there is a lot of activity in the pattern. But, if you ever come into HYI in a fixed wing and announce a right pattern... :mad3:

Well, personally, when I encounter annoying people in the pattern, I like to "bring it". Last time, I landed, taxied to the opposite runway, and then announced takeoff on the original runway. Scared the ____ out of the guy on short final! :D

Yea, it get's old really fast. Same with the guys that insist on calling themselves "Captain" even though they've never really earned the title. :frown2:

How is it supposed to happen? Two co-pilots flip a coin?

**** happens, people make mistakes, I know I've done the pattern backwards by mistake.

Being an unhappy camper about that which you cannot control makes for living an unhappy life.
It makes you a lot more unhappy if you are placing a student on their first solo with an absolute idiot who can't tell the difference between a standard pattern and a non-standard pattern. Sure, there are errors and I can accept such happening. But, then when they call this exact move ten miles out and you clearly announce you're in a standard left-hand pattern and they STILL enter opposite of you... they're an inconsiderate ass who clearly does not know or does not care about the standards established in the AIM.

Sorry, but to fly a right pattern when there are no non-standard patterns at that airport makes no sense.

But, if you ever come into HYI in a fixed wing and announce a right pattern

well, were they on a right pattern? if so i would hope they would announce it

Think of them as sleep machines. I would have paid somebody to run one rather than listen to the guy in the next tent saw logs.

Sorry guys, but it's really not funny. Go out there and put your ass and ticket on the line with a student's first supervised solo. Yes, the student was prepared. But, is it really necessary to interject BS into radio calls and mess with safety? There's enough screw-ups out there without that.

well, were they on a right pattern? if so i would hope they would announce it
Yes, they announced and entered on a right pattern... WITH active traffic on a standard left pattern. You're telling me this is proper? Not in a million years would I agree with that.

It makes you a lot more unhappy if you are placing a student on their first solo with an absolute idiot who can't tell the difference between a standard pattern and a non-standard pattern. Sure, there are errors and I can accept such happening. But, then when they call this exact move ten miles out and you clearly announce you're in a standard left-hand pattern and they STILL enter opposite of you... they're an inconsiderate ass who clearly does not know or does not care about the standards established in the AIM.

Sorry, but to fly a right pattern when there are no non-standard patterns at that airport makes no sense.

..and getting angry over this stuff accomplishes..what?

People screw up patterns and your students should know how to deal with it. Instead of making it negative, turn it into a positive learning experience for your student. **** happens, pilots should be able to deal, having a stress related heart attack at age 40 is hard on your medical.

i didnt say it was proper, but at least the other pilot was communicating what they were doing, whether it agrees with the AIM or not. If your student was ready to solo they should be ready to deal with goofy people flying goofy patterns. Safety should not be compromised in any way.

..and getting angry over this stuff accomplishes..what?

People screw up patterns and your students should know how to deal with it. Instead of making it negative, turn it into a positive learning experience for your student. **** happens, pilots should be able to deal, having a stress related heart attack at age 40 is hard on your medical.
No, what is making me angry is the crap I'm now reading in this thread...

Phony radio calls? Taking off opposite direction just to mess with other traffic? Purposely cutting off others in the pattern? If you want to do this crap, knock yourself out. But, aren't accident rates bad enough?

It's childish Bullsh!t and anyone who does such only puts their life and other lives at risk. Such a pilot deserves revocation.

sorry felix, i disagree. strongly.

sorry felix, i disagree. strongly.
Do I look like I care? Don't mess with me while I'm flying my pattern. Might take a bit longer to get off the runway in return....maybe just long enough for a couple of go-arounds for you? :mad3:

Do I look like I care? Don't mess with me while I'm flying my pattern. Might take a bit longer to get off the runway in return....maybe just long enough for a couple of go-arounds for you? :mad3:

Try me. I rent airplanes. I have no problem running my prop up your tail.

It's what they don't say, like "cleared for takeoff" when there's a hole three miles long. I have concluded that some of the local tower trainees must have finished well down in their class ranking.

can't we all just get along :confused:
I appreciate the sentiment, but this is not something to take lightly, ok? We can all get along, as long as people don't mess with my patterns. But...whatever!

I appreciate the sentiment, but this is not something to take lightly, ok? We can all get along, as long as people don't mess with my patterns. But...whatever!
I've seen your pattern at Gastons. It is embarrassing to even watch. You slip and skid all over the sky with your B-52 pattern. Terrible. Can't understand what you're saying either. I was the guy that would just transmit over you because the static sounded better than the accent.

Can't understand what you're saying either.

hey i was sitting like right next to him at supper in Ames, and could barely understand what he was saying...

hey i was sitting like right next to him at supper in Ames, and could barely understand what he was saying...
He shouldn't be allowed in the air--his certificate sure the hell shouldn't say English proficient.

I've seen your pattern at Gastons. It is embarrassing to even watch. You slip and skid all over the sky with your B-52 pattern. Terrible. Can't understand what you're saying either. I was the guy that would just transmit over you because the static sounded better than the accent.
yo man, take it easy, ok??? better hope i'm not in the air next time you're at gaston's, or i'll overtake you and cut you off like crazy. capiche? not my problem that i've got a faster plane than you. whatever..for real!

yo man, take it easy, ok??? better hope i'm not in the air next time you're at gaston's, or i'll overtake you and cut you off like crazy. capiche? not my problem that i've got a faster plane than you. whatever..for real!
I'm not too worried--your big money and fast airplanes don't scare me. You try to over-take me and I might just pull out the .45 and take a shot. If your HID landing lights blind me the bullets will fly. I'm not as fast as Kevin or as sneaky as Henning but I can get the job done.

Last edited:

I'm not too worried--your big money and fast airplanes don't scare me. You try to over-take me and I might just pull out the .45 and take a shot. I'm not as fast as Kevin or as sneaky as Henning but I can get the job done.
ya know, i really hope someone from the faa is reading this. unbelievable! sometimes i wonder what this world has come to.

Edit: And no, I won't update your quote. Whatever.

Last edited:

ya know, i really hope someone from the faa is reading this. unbelievable! sometimes i wonder what this world has come to.
You think the FAA is going to protect you? I can win this battle with one call to the TSA and another to homeland security.

You think the FAA is going to protect you? I can win this battle with one call to the TSA and another to homeland security.
We'll see about that. Calling 866/GA-SECURE right now. Wth? Whatever mate, we'll see who wins this one. Whatever.

We'll see about that. Calling 866/GA-SECURE right now. Wth? Whatever mate, we'll see who wins this one. Whatever.
Bah whatever, I just took over that number with my amazing computer skills, good luck getting through. You can't beat me. I'm so sick of your "I'm better than you because I have a P-Baron" crap!

Bah whatever, I just took over that number with my amazing computer skills, good luck getting through. You can't beat me. I'm so sick of your "I'm better than you because I have a P-Baron" crap!
That's rubbish. Bloody unbelievable you'd say that. And you got it right - my plane's better than yours. La La La. Now good night! Whatever, i'm done educating you teeny-tiny piper flies.

You know, Jesse...the more I think about it, the more I see the errors of my ways. I'm truly sorry. I was wrong all along. I'll ask them not to call me 'maverick' at work anymore, and clean up my act in the pattern.

-Felix

Neither of you can drive a red van worth a crap.

Very good!

Regardless of the reality of the post made, screwing around in the pattern is plain wrong. Standards were established for good reason. As Henning mentioned in another thread, we depend on others following the rules so we can be assured of what their intentions are. Or, should be.

I still like the whole sitting around making fake traffic calls thing...

Back