Are you using a tablet?

nubbs01

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Flyerjoe
New to the forum and just want to get a take on what you are using when you fly.

What app do you use and do you use that particular app
Are you using an Android or Apple tablet and why?
Curious how you are mounting the tablet.
How important is ADS-B weather and traffic for you?

Regards,

Joe

Joe Marszal
Director of Sales and Marketing
Levil Technology Corporation
iLevil Sport | iLevil SW | iLevil AW

Yes
Garmin Pilot
Nexus7
not mounted yet
don't currently use it

WingXPro7. Liked the interface after a free trial.

iPad Mini Retina. We're an Apple household, so its the logical choice. If I had a larger plane I might go with a larger iPad for more screen real estate.

Dual suction cup mount to the canopy of my Sky Arrow. Pictures posted elsewhere, will repost on request.

No traffic or ADS-B yet. Had Skywatch in my Cirrus, don't really seem to miss it in the Sky Arrow. Considering ADS-B mainly for weather - currently paying about $50/month to Sirius to have weather on my 496, so an ADS-B receiver would pay for itself in about 20 months, more or less.

Yes, I love using my tablet when flying.

iPad 2
WingX Pro 7 with Synth Vision and Geo-Plates
Ram Yoke Mount
iLevil for ADS-B / WAAS GPS / AHRS

I do consulting work and use my plane for flying back and forth to work each week. I really do like having the ADS-B weather. The ADS-B traffic has not been that useful thus far. Maybe as time progresses and more planes get ADS-B out it will become more useful.

Foreflight PRO
Apple Mini
Yoke mount (been every other place in cockpit, it it works well here for approach charts)
ADSB - weather, not important on short local flights but very helpful around great lakes for monitoring where lake effect snow or weather is building.
ADSB traffic - only seem to get 50% of traffic when much is VFR.

Foreflight
iPad Mini
Yoke Mount or Suction cup to windscreeen
Somewhat Important

The iPad plus ads-b and foreflight is a great combination for me as I fly a bunch of different airplanes.

I had a Garmin Aera w/XM yoke mounted for awhile that I thought was better for a navigation source. Much easier to steer using it as a primary source than with foreflight. And the xm weather was great. Also loved how you could load approaches into it. Better than the geo-referenced plates in foreflight, IMO.

But if I had to choose one or the other, definitely the ipad/foreflight/ads-b. Easier to move from aircraft to aircraft and has it all - charts, flight planning, gps, weather.

Last edited:
Lots of Apps. But for the EFB's, FF and WingX are both used in flight
Apple iPad3 and Mini Retina
Yoke Mount mini for Retina. My Lap or a passenger for iPad3
Somewhat important.

Garmin Pilot
Android (Samsung)
On my lap
Not at all important

Started with a 10" Android tablet
Switched to a 7" Nexus Android tablet
Switched to a 5" Nexus Android cell phone -- mounted on one of those arms with suction cup on one end a sticky pad on the other
Avare -- does everything a VFR GA pilot could ever want
Avare does weather as long as I have cell service, but not particularly important

Foreflight - use for every single flight in RV10

iPad (and iPhone) because they both run Foreflight - a killer app for me

Built a custom composite center console for O2 tank and RAM mount for iPad

Very important but don't have either on tablet. Have Navworx box with ADSB in/out that drives weather and traffic onto EFISs.

Traffic works very well, Wx is not quite as good as XM but suitable replacement given cost.

I have an iPad 3 running Foreflight and Garmin Pilot, and a Nexus 7 running Garmin Pilot.

I have used Foreflight exclusively so far, keep meaning to try Pilot but inertia and familiarity keep me using Foreflight. Also want to try the new iFly app at some point.

For several years True Flight on laptops with XM weather. Smaller laptop on the yoke, larger on the right seat.

Evaluating Wing-X, Garmin, and Ifly 720.
Recently bought Nexus 7 (android) because of price and flexibility of software and adsb options.
Experimenting with mounting locations, probably on the throw over yoke.
Weather very important, may keep XM because of better long range detail but would like to drop the subscription and use ADS-B. I suspend XM for the winter months when I have fewer long trips.
Traffic nice to have but less important.

Foreflight on my iPad Mini
I have stratus 2 for weather and traffic
I don't use that feature all that much I get my traffic from Zaon XRX and Flight Following.

First ,welcome to the forum. Use an I pad with Foreflight and stratus. Not mounted because of limited space in cockpit.

Obligatory warning:

An unsecured tablet could become a missile in turbulence, flying up from a lap or a seat or wherever to knock off your glasses or hit you in the head or just distract you at a critical time.

At the very least I would tether it so I could limit its travel and make sure I could reel it back in.

New to the forum and just want to get a take on what you are using when you fly.

For me:
Yes
ForeFlight
iPad (Mini) - They work well, and ForeFlight is the best
I have a RAM mount, actually a collection of RAM parts that I assembled that work for all the planes I fly. I yoke-mount in the Mooney M20R and the R182, and suction-cup to the canopy in the Diamond DA40.
Weather is very important, and I currently use a Stratus 2. Traffic is less important, but nice to have - I consider myself to not "have" traffic with the Stratus because of the inherent limitations of ADS-B In only.

Now, I can help you out more because I asked most of these same questions at my flying club's annual meeting last week. 19 of our 30 pilots were in attendance.
18/19 used a tablet.
17/18 used ForeFlight (the other used FlyQ)
18/18 used an iPad
Some use RAM, some "lap-mount" and there may be others but I didn't ask that question, just going off the ones I know.
Traffic and weather is important enough that we're considering the purchase of a Stratus or three (three airplanes). If we got them for all three airplanes, I think the main issue is just what will happen to the battery leaving them in the planes, our hangar is not temperature-controlled and our weather swings ~100ºF through the course of a typical year. If we only get one or two, it'll be which planes get them or how to handle people checking them out.

Last edited:
ASUS Google Nexus 7 (2013) FHD 32gb.

Avare for Android.

MoKo Slim Folding Cover Case.

Thin paper notepad binder clipped to opposite side of case cover for writing down clearances and squawks.

===============

I have seen ADS-B weather in action with the iPad and Stratus device, however I do not want to switch to Apple. I will purchase an ADS-B receiver eventually but I have not yet decided which Android/Avare compatible device to buy yet.

Last edited:
Apple mini on ram mount to the right of control wheel (bonanza) Backup apple air in bag
Wing x pro 7 with clarity SV

No. I had one for two years, and hated it. Never installed any aviation apps on it. Hate touch screens.

Regards,

Joe

Joe Marszal

First off, Joe, welcome to Pilots of America!

I use an iPad 2, running ForeFlight.

I chose the iPad because it was a gift (so I guess it chose me!).

I started out with ForeFlight because I was impressed with its features when it was demonstrated to me by its most zealous advocate, Kent Shook (noted above - Kent, how did that 19th guy get away without running ForeFlight?).

As it stands now, I am using it loose - no mounting at all - though I recognize the inherent disadvantages to that, and intend to concoct something better Real Soon Now.

As I have not been using ADS/B yet, I guess that's no really important to me (but it will be). I am still using a G396 with XMWX, but am starting to shop solutions which will use the ADS/B for weather, as well as traffic (which I very much want). I am also very interested in the iLevil products with the solid-state AHRS as a safety enhancement.

Feel free to ask more - you have a great collection of pilots of all skill and experience levels here.

Foreflight
Yes
Apple iPad Air
Loose
Weather comes from yoke mounted 496
Traffic comes from panel mounted Ryan TCAD, displayed on 430 screen.

Foreflight (Pro)

Apple -- I am an Android guy to my core but no matter how hard I try, I cannot pry myself away from Foreflight so I'm stuck with an iPad for flying.

Kneeboard, but I would like a suction cup mount if I had an iPad mini.

ADB-B wx/traffic appeal to me, but we have XM already and without ADS-B OUT there's not a ton of value in the traffic as far as I can tell.

Welcome to POA!

iPad mini retina, 4G

Foreflight regular subscription

No other accessories, would like to get a stratus II someday

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Foreflight on an unmounted iPad air. ADS-B weather is very important to me. Traffic not so much until it becomes more reliable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I started out with ForeFlight because I was impressed with its features when it was demonstrated to me by its most zealous advocate, Kent Shook (noted above - Kent, how did that 19th guy get away without running ForeFlight?).

Zealous advocate? C'mon Spike, I'm the worlds crappiest salesman - I can only "sell" products that I use and truly believe are the best. All I do to advocate ForeFlight is give a demo to anyone who asks, the product sells itself.

As far as our club - I was surprised at both the percentage of iPads and the percentage of ForeFlight users. I might be directly responsible for 2 or 3 of them. I had no idea how popular the iPad/ForeFlight combo was in our group...

Foreflight on an unmounted iPad air. ADS-B weather is very important to me. Traffic not so much until it becomes more reliable.

ADS-B Traffic is perfectly reliable - Provided you have ADS-B Out. If you don't, it will never be more reliable. Of course, in theory, in 2020 we'll all have it.

Yes
Wing X
Apple
No mount
Not very...use Zaon active traffic linked to garmin, not ipad.

No. I had one for two years, and hated it. Never installed any aviation apps on it. Hate touch screens.

I have to agree.

I have five navigation apps on my Android tablet and they all suck. Garmin Pilot sucks the least, but it still crashes at inexcusable times and gives wrong answers. There is not much point to having backups to backups, so the tablet has other uses.

Planning, W&B, logging, perhaps evaluation (breadcrumbs). Not navigation.

In flight, these require too much attention and must be cross-checked more than other methods. Having seen multiple cases of wrong and highly misleading navigational solutions, I don't trust it at all.

Last edited:
Zealous advocate?

Zealous was an understatement. If you took the enthusiasm 8 million teenage girls had toward Justin Bieber, bottled it, and sold it in a drum that would be the equivalent of 3 molecules of the zeal you show for Apple products.

Foreflight (Pro)

Apple -- I am an Android guy to my core but no matter how hard I try, I cannot pry myself away from Foreflight so I'm stuck with an iPad for flying.

ADB-B wx/traffic appeal to me, but we have XM already and without ADS-B OUT there's not a ton of value in the traffic as far as I can tell.
I had an embarked on a Windows/Palm to Android conversion based on my preference for open platforms and tinkering. Foreflight ended all that and send me down the Apple hole.
ADS-B Traffic is perfectly reliable - Provided you have ADS-B Out. If you don't, it will never be more reliable. Of course, in theory, in 2020 we'll all have it.
Thats how it seems to me.
I have five navigation apps on my Android tablet and they all suck. Garmin Pilot sucks the least, but it still crashes at inexcusable times and gives wrong answers. There is not much point to having backups to backups, so the tablet has other uses.

Planning, W&B, logging, perhaps evaluation (breadcrumbs). Not navigation.

In flight, these require too much attention and must be cross-checked more than other methods. Having seen multiple cases of wrong and highly misleading navigational solutions, I don't trust it at all.
Apple Foreflight just doesn't do any of this based on my experience. My panel is the primary and my backup, my FF/iPad a trusted companion and on my personal MEL, my FF/iPhone is my backup for the iPad.

Yes, I noticed you are an ADS-B vendor

What app do you use and do you use that particular app:
My primary is ForeFlight. At the time I chose it there was only ForeFlight and WingX and the iPad was the only tablet choice. I chose ForeFlight because, for my needs and likes, it had the better UI. My current iPad is a 10" 3d Generation.

I use a 7" Android tablet as a backup I'm still deciding on the app but Avilution and Avare are the main contenders. I keep wanting to use the free FltPlan app but it is still too unstable for my taste.

Ram yoke mount on the yoke. Ram suction mount holding the tablet.

Having on-board weather is important to me. Traffic not close to as much.

Anywhere map on every flight
Android because it offers more for less and is not proprietory in nature.
Asus TF700 mounted to kneeboard pictured below:

navpad.jpg

Important enough that I just purchased a Garmin Aera 560 and a GDL39 to replace my Garmin 496 (which I preferred over the Aera but was not ads-b WX capable) to display ads-b WX and replace the XM I currently have.
I would have preferred to be able to display ads-b on the Anywhere map tablet but they seem to have gone quiet as of late after stating well over a year ago that ads-b compatibility would be added soon.

Regards,

Joe

Joe Marszal
Perhaps a poll would help the op.

Foreflight Pro (these guys are incredible and just keep making it better and better!)
Apple iPad Mini Retina Display
Yoke mount (horizontal)
Stratus 2 for ADS-B

How important is ADS-B? Allmost all my flying is along the gulf coast. Would not think of going most days without some type of in-flight weather. We had XM for a while, but recently switched to ADS-B. Even more info for free!

Traffic is okay - but expect it to get better over time. It did help me find a helicopter that was in the pattern the other day and not talking on frequency!

I have a Asus Transformer using Garmin Pilot. Very pleased so far but I have not gone any real xc with it. Hope to do that in the next month and a half or so.

ADS-B I have nothing currently but will be in the market for something in the next year to year and a half.

My aunt and uncle use the Stratus in both their bonanza and aerostar with mixed results.

I use ForeFlight primarily.
iPad mini is yoke mounted with an iPro Navigator mount.
I also use an iPad air in an iPro Air Commander kneeboard.

Back