Any tips for finding a doc that will do BasicMed?

Looking at it today, we see that it was a mistake. But you know what they say, hind sight is 20 20…….

Back side. “Hind” sight. Come on people - not even one eye roll?

There was a senior AME that told me he doesn't pencil whip BasicMed exams. I was fine with that. But made me kinda nervous when he pointed me to the binding arbitration form on his website during our phone discussion. I mean, it's an exam for personal flying ... why do we need an arbitration agreement?

Thanks for sharing your experience with AME's. Glad to hear it was all positive. I'll give one a shot if Concentra or another urgent care place doesn't work out.

Going basic med gives me a reason to see my GP for physicals which are way more in-depth than any other flying physical I have ever had. Has an AME every done blood work? EKG's? scheduled colonoscopy? chest x-rays, finger wave, etc. for a 3rd class medical?

It’s always seemed funny that my SCCA physical was tougher than my class 3 or Basic Med, yet it didn’t have any sort of SI silliness. And any place that did sports physicals was glad to do the SCCA exam.

I have never done a Class 3. I always got a Class 2, then most times let it lapse to a Class 3. But the Class 2 has a few more things than the SCCA. But much less than my normal annual physical.

My PCP is a concierge doc, so a VERY complete annual physical is included. I have mentioned to him to get his AME. :D

Must have been an outdated form if that’s the case, because it certainly wasn’t part of my class 3 exam.

They did use an old version of the form, but the current version of the Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners shows that it's still on the list of things to be examined. However, Congress did not include the Guide for AMEs in the legislation, which caused the part about basing the response on "direct observation or history" to be left out. From what I've heard, some docs do the anal exam for BasicMed, and some don't. (None of the AMEs I have gone to opted to do it.)

Guide for Aviation Medical Examiners
Application Process for Medical Certification - Examination Techniques

Item 39. Anus

1. Digital Rectal Examination: This examination is performed only at the applicant's option unless indicated by specific history or physical findings. When performed, the following should be noted and recorded in Item 59 of FAA Form 8500-8.

2. If the digital rectal examination is not performed, the response to Item 39 may be based on direct observation or history.​

This page has the AME's current list of items to be examined:

https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or.../offices/aam/ame/guide/app_process/exam_tech/

Last edited:
I went to Concentra which is an urgent care place that does DOT Physicals. BasicMed is basically a DOT physical with the addition of a look at one's exhaust port.

Was about $120 and took 15 minutes. Plus I got my hacky sack fondled as a bonus, so that was something.
It’s only $75 & 5 min without the nut grab….

Thanks again for all the suggestions. Went to Concentra and it generally worked well. Some confusion with the desk staff at first as they didn't know about BasicMed and kept trying to fit this into a Class I,II or III exam, wanting me to sign agreements that they would send my paperwork to the FAA. Luckily I had instructions printed out from AOPA to help them understand this was not required.

As a result, they charged me $180 instead of the usual $150 for FAA exams. Despite paying more, I didn't get any hacky sack bonuses. Only spent about 15 mins with the doctor, but spent an hour in the waiting room and 20 mins with a tech getting urine, weight, eye exams, etc.

But it doesn't matter, I'm now happily on BasicMed.

Congratulations, glad it worked as advertised

Put a check in the box and move on.

Exactly what my physicians did on both my BasicMed. Neither one could find a practical reason for that particular requirement. The resulting exam room humor can be pretty entertaining if you get a good doc, though.

The FAA didn’t. Congress did. It’s part of the law that established Basic Med. My doc said, “Anus? Present.” Then he checked the box.

Not a physician, but in the medical field ... jokes that I've heard kicked around in the pre-op lounge:

1. "I don't do physicals because they require a rectal exam, and there are a LOT of big ****oles out there!"

2. "How am I expected to perform a rectal if half the population has their head up there blocking my exam?"

A. AOPA has a list of Basic Med docs in your area, that’s how I found mine.

B. It may be urban legend, but the story I heard on the requirement for a DRE was due to a certain senator in Florida that didn’t like GA, in fact was one of the types that moves in next to an airport and complains about airplanes. The vote to pass the bill was apparently close and this guy saw the opportunity to “stick it” to pilots and inserted the DRE language in the bill before agreeing to vote for the bill.

DRE, to save the unknowing google time, is Digital Rectal Exam:(.

It may be urban legend, but the story I heard on the requirement for a DRE was due to a certain senator in Florida that didn’t like GA, in fact was one of the types that moves in next to an airport and complains about airplanes. The vote to pass the bill was apparently close and this guy saw the opportunity to “stick it” to pilots and inserted the DRE language in the bill before agreeing to vote for the bill.

DRE, to save the unknowing google time, is Digital Rectal Exam:(.

That's very unlikely, because it's also on the exam list for a medical certificate. The only difference is that the Guide for AMEs got omitted in its entirety, and that's where it says that it can be omitted.

I wouldn't give a whole lot of credence to AOPA's database. The best bet for a basic med doc is one who is already seeing you. That was sort of the idea of basic med anyhow, not to create yet another level of medical examiners.

I showed the form to my doc just like I did the SCUBA form and he says no problem. Gave me a hearing/eye test that he said he wouldn't normally do but that's it.

B. It may be urban legend, but the story I heard on the requirement for a DRE was due to a certain senator in Florida that didn’t like GA, in fact was one of the types that moves in next to an airport and complains about airplanes..
Bullpoop. The basic med form follows the physician side of the 8500-8. The only thing it's ever said was "Anus." (The joke was that the doctor knew pilots are a-holes and just checks that off). Nothing changed there with regard to basic med and it never meant prostate.

Going basic med gives me a reason to see my GP for physicals which are way more in-depth than any other flying physical I have ever had. Has an AME every done blood work? EKG's? scheduled colonoscopy? chest x-rays, finger wave, etc. for a 3rd class medical?

An AME is not serving as your doctor or to advise you on the general status of your health. They exist to serve as the FAA's representative to see if you're fit enough to fly. That's pretty much it at its most basic level. Now I like my AME and we always have a good chat, but I'm not about to say to him "hey doc, while I'm here, I'm been having a problem with my _____. Could you do an in-depth test to determine if I have _____?" No way. That's what your regular doctor is for. I'm not saying to hide stuff from your AME, but if it's not on the form, you don't want them testing for it. No good can come from that for your pilot certificate. The fewer things the AME has to check for, the better.

I got my BasicMed signed off at the end of my annual physical with my regular Doc yesterday. It probably helped that I made it easy for him....

I had put together a little packet with the already-filled-out 8700-2 patient history form and checklist forms, and a single-page, big-typed cover memo...asked him to just read the front page. He did, then leafed back to where I had highlighted the spaces for his signature and medical license...voila, done! I've attached the memo...modify it to suit yourself, if you so choose.

Caveats...he's been my Doc for years, which certainly helped. I had the pages and pages of FAQs etc in hand, in the event of any questions. I am neither a Dr. nor an attorney. This was my Doc's first exposure to BasicMed. Your mileage may vary!

Jim

Bonus....Medicare paid for the visit :)

Attachments

• FAQ for Dr.pdf
    26.2 KB · Views: 136
Last edited:
I got my BasicMed signed off at the end of my annual physical with my regular Doc yesterday. It probably helped that I made it easy for him....

I had put together a little packet with the already-filled-out 8700-2 patient history form and checklist forms, and a single-page, big-typed cover memo...asked him to just read the front page. He did, then leafed back to where I had highlighted the spaces for his signature and medical license...voila, done! I've attached the memo...modify it to suit yourself, if you so choose.

Nicely done!

I just went to the AOPA site and downloaded their 16 page Pilot and Physician BasicMed Guide and gave it to my physician to read through. https://www.aopa.org/-/media/files/...basicmed-pilot-and-physicians-guide_final.pdf

To be fair, 9 of the pages was the included CMEC form itself. But still, your summary page seems to hit all the high points the AOPA pdf does.

It's time for another basicmed (physician only, no NP allowed unfortunately) check the box on the form for compliance hoop to jump through. Last time was relatively straightforward. The physician who did mine last time has retired. I spent hours on the phone calling all around trying to find a location willing to do it. I was unsuccessful. The DOT physical places near me would do it but they are NP staffed. The urgent care near me that is physician staffed refuses. There are no AME's nearby. Those that refused cited liability concerns a few times. Basicmed is starting to appear slightly no so basic.

There’s a doctor at KFGU who is good to work with on basicmed.

Try your local doc-in-a-box outfit. If they do DOT physicals, they'll probably happily do basicmed for you.

Try your local doc-in-a-box outfit. If they do DOT physicals, they'll probably happily do basicmed for you.
I called around. The local doc in a box that does DOT physicals was happy to do it. Problem is the local doc in a box doesn't have a doc as defined by MD or DO. They are all staffed by NP around me. A MD doc owns them and he works 1 day a month they told me. I will be out of state on that day.

I called around. The local doc in a box that does DOT physicals was happy to do it. Problem is the local doc in a box doesn't have a doc as defined by MD or DO. They are all staffed by NP around me. A MD doc owns them and he works 1 day a month they told me. I will be out of state on that day.

Do the drive.

I had the same problem here in MD. Maryland only licenses physicians who hold an MD, so chiro's are out. Used to be a passel of docs who would do it locally a few years ago, but their insurance underwriters have caught on and won't renew if they participate. My PCP is a Kaiser employee and according to her they prohibit signing. After being frustrated time and time again with the docs in boxes, and ready just throw in the towel and get another CL3, I found a doc from the AOPA site who was some over an hour's drive away. It was worth it just to get it done and put a halt to the frustration. She is also an AME, ( and fairly young!) so if I need to go back under the FAA thumb, I don't have to start all over again with another AME search.

Frankly, I fear for Basic Med's availability in the future unless a. The AME community gives it more support and B. some enterprising aviation insurance company that understands the risk will come up with a program to supplement doctors liability cover.

Given you only get this every 4 years, driving an hour should be tolerable. Or wait until the one day the next month that doc who owns the clinic would see you.

I had to call around several days to find a doc in the box place that did it.

One of the AMEs around here told me he stopped doing basic med exams because every airman who came to him for basic med "had something wrong." I do see why it would be difficult for an AME to sign off on basic med for folks he knows wouldn't pass a class 3 exam.

… I do see why it would be difficult for an AME to sign off on basic med for folks he knows wouldn't pass a class 3 exam.

BasicMed exams are a 14 CFR 68 examination conducted by a physician with different standards than for a medical certificate. A medical certification is a 14 CFR 67 examination conducted by an FAA designee.

If the physician AME is unable to understand that distinction, I agree they should not be in the BasicMed business. I don’t agree with the concept that a BasicMed medical examination is subject to the same standards as a medical certificate as found in 14 CFR 67.

Last edited:
One of the AMEs around here told me he stopped doing basic med exams because every airman who came to him for basic med "had something wrong." I do see why it would be difficult for an AME to sign off on basic med for folks he knows wouldn't pass a class 3 exam.

“Had something wrong” according to what parameters? The AME’s own criteria vs the written Basic Med specifications?

Last edited:
“Had something wrong” according to what parameters? The AME’s own criteria vs the written Basic Med specifications?

My last AME refused to do Basic Med exams because he felt " it was only created because a politician couldn't pass a third class". This was before OK City became the backed up cluster**** it is now. He just couldn't see that some pilots without any issues just don't want to be subject to the whims of a medical bureaucrat.

Last edited:
LBasicMed exams are a 14 CFR 68 examination conducted by a physician with different standards than for a medical certificate. A medical certification is a 14 CFR 67 examination conducted by an FAA designee.

If the physician AME is unable to understand that distinction, I agree they should not be in the BasicMed business. I don’t agree with the concept that a BasicMed medical examination is subject to the same standards as a medical certificate as found in 14 CFR 67.
To be clear, it's not different standards from an exam conducted for a medical certificate issued under part 67...there are no standards for BasicMed as it is up to the clinical judgement of the state-licensed physician.

It is certainly the purview of the physician to adopt part 67 standards if he or she chooses, and refuse to sign off anyone who would deferred under part 67. It seems to me the physician @Lindberg describes is concerned about the potential liability as the patients he's seeing for BasicMed have medical conditions that the doc would not normally have to make a final determination on. I can understand that, particularly considering being an AME provides no liability top cover when conducting BasicMed exams.

To be clear, it's not different standards from an exam conducted for a medical certificate issued under part 67...there are no standards for BasicMed as it is up to the clinical judgement of the state-licensed physician.

It is certainly the purview of the physician to adopt part 67 standards if he or she chooses, and refuse to sign off anyone who would deferred under part 67. It seems to me the physician @Lindberg describes is concerned about the potential liability as the patients he's seeing for BasicMed have medical conditions that the doc would not normally have to make a final determination on. I can understand that, particularly considering being an AME provides no liability top cover when conducting BasicMed exams.
Precisely. It's easy to imagine an AME on the stand and opposing counsel asking him why he thought, in his personal medical judgment, he should certify an airman fit for flight knowing that he couldn't meet the FAA's criteria. Ironically, a non-AME physician may be in a better position liability wise. The AME has the curse of knowledge, and could be seen as substituting his own judgment for that of the "experts" at the FAA.

Except BasicMed puts the onus of determining fitness to fly on the pilot, prior to each flight.

Wasn't there a recent report from the FAA that found that the medical-incapacitation history for pilots on BasicMed is no worse than for holders of medical certificates?

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back