Any tips for finding a doc that will do BasicMed?

elvisAteMySandwich

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
elvisAteMySandwich
I'm eligible but can't seem to find a doctor in my area that will do basicmed. I used AOPA's doctor finder and the only ones that will are also AME's. Some people have suggested to steer away from AME's if possible as they may not follow the simpler criteria for BasicMed and can talk to the FAA.

How did you find your BasicMed doctor?

My basicmed doc is a dermatologist and senior AME. He also does DOT physicals. He clearly understands the difference between an FAA medical and BasicMed.

If your PCM/PCP won’t sign off on it, try the doc in a box or DOT physicals.

I'm eligible but can't seem to find a doctor in my area that will do basicmed. I used AOPA's doctor finder and the only ones that will are also AME's. Some people have suggested to steer away from AME's if possible as they may not follow the simpler criteria for BasicMed and can talk to the FAA.

Just find an AME if your 'regular doc' won't do it, my AME became my basic med doc.

I went to Concentra which is an urgent care place that does DOT Physicals. BasicMed is basically a DOT physical with the addition of a look at one's exhaust port.

Was about $120 and took 15 minutes. Plus I got my hacky sack fondled as a bonus, so that was something.

…BasicMed is basically a DOT physical with the addition of a look at one's exhaust port.

…Plus I got my hacky sack fondled as a bonus, so that was something.

You got bonuses, my guy did neither. I know it’s on the list for exam but, in his words, he did not feel either warranted physical examination, just asked if I had any problems with either area.

You got bonuses, my guy did neither. I know it’s on the list for exam but, in his words, he did not feel either warranted physical examination, just asked if I had any problems with either area.

I'm going to your guy next time. :D

Concentra might be missing an opportunity by not providing a Tip line on the credit card receipt.

my doc did the same as I recall (did neither I mean)...but threw in an ekg for good measure!

he does DOT physicals but was uncomfortable with this basic med thing. In my opinion it was far too many words... too many pages.... and too subjective.

My doc has always been great for normal stuff over the years and I've been very satisfied but he relocated his office so I'm probably going to find a new doc in a few months anyway.
When my basic med is due again I might just go to an AME if my new regular guy isn't comfortable... I'm honestly seriously on the fence about just going for a 3rd class for simplicity sake....unnecessary gamble maybe...so I'm on the fence about it. Otherwise I'd look for someone that advertises DOT.

There was a senior AME that told me he doesn't pencil whip BasicMed exams. I was fine with that. But made me kinda nervous when he pointed me to the binding arbitration form on his website during our phone discussion. I mean, it's an exam for personal flying ... why do we need an arbitration agreement?

Thanks for sharing your experience with AME's. Glad to hear it was all positive. I'll give one a shot if Concentra or another urgent care place doesn't work out.

I get my basicmed sign off as part of my annual physical. I don't even have to ask. He asks if I need him to sign that flying medical thing.

my doc did the same as I recall (did neither I mean)...but threw in an ekg for good measure!

he does DOT physicals but was uncomfortable with this basic med thing. In my opinion it was far too many words... too many pages.... and too subjective.

My doc has always been great for normal stuff over the years and I've been very satisfied but he relocated his office so I'm probably going to find a new doc in a few months anyway.
When my basic med is due again I might just go to an AME if my new regular guy isn't comfortable... I'm honestly seriously on the fence about just going for a 3rd class for simplicity sake....unnecessary gamble maybe...so I'm on the fence about it. Otherwise I'd look for someone that advertises DOT.

I think educating the doctor may help. I switched PCMs from a PA to an internist this year and asked about dive physicals. New guy doesn’t have a problem with those, so I’ll reach out next year and ask if he can/will do my BasicMed with my annual wellness exam.

The only thing I think he may have an issue with is the vision piece on the CMEC.

There was a senior AME that told me he doesn't pencil whip BasicMed exams. I was fine with that. But made me kinda nervous when he pointed me to the binding arbitration form on his website during our phone discussion. I mean, it's an exam for personal flying ... why do we need an arbitration agreement?
Why not? He may see it as protecting himself. AMEs feel a certain degree of protection from malpractice lawsuits when they are acting as an AME. In that capacity, they are acting for the government. You are not their patient and they have very little obligation to you. OTOH, when they sign off on BasicMed, they are acting for you. They are your physician and pick up associated liabilities. Arbitration is a way of avoiding courts and juries in the case of a problem and us often seen as a more professional-friendly forum.

Why not? He may see it as protecting himself. AMEs feel a certain degree of protection from malpractice lawsuits when they are acting as an AME. In that capacity, they are acting for the government. You are not their patient and they have very little obligation to you. OTOH, when they sign off on BasicMed, they are acting for you. They are your physician and pick up associated liabilities. Arbitration is a way of avoiding courts and juries in the case of a problem and us often seen as a more professional-friendly forum.
I've never heard of a doctor requiring an arbitration agreement, and it seems to me the most likely source of liability for the doctor signing off an airman's fitness would be from third parties. So I'd question the quality of legal advice the doctor was receiving, but not necessarily his medical skills.

I went to Concentra which is an urgent care place that does DOT Physicals. BasicMed is basically a DOT physical with the addition of a look at one's exhaust port.

Was about $120 and took 15 minutes. Plus I got my hacky sack fondled as a bonus, so that was something.
A look at my what?

I've never heard of a doctor requiring an arbitration agreement, and it seems to me the most likely source of liability for the doctor signing off an airman's fitness would be from third parties. So I'd question the quality of legal advice the doctor was receiving, but not necessarily his medical skills.
I've never heard of it either. Just explaining a possible reason. And I was not thinking of third parties since any agreement between a pilot and a physician hired for a one-shot limited exam to check some boxes on a form would affect third parties.

And since I wasn't part of the conversation I can't evaluate the quality of the legal advice, if any.

My PCP does my Basic Med and also my SCCA Comp License form. I just asked. Gave him the forms, that include info for the process. Since it was not during my annual physical, he did repeat the required tests. Next time, I will do it as part of my annual physical, so no repeats or additions required.

My PCP didn't do basic med because he didn't have an eye chart. Gave up and went to a Concentra like doctor in a box that did DOT physicals.

The guy I went to also did DOT physicals, so you may can call around to those.

My PCP does my Basic Med and also my SCCA Comp License form. I just asked. Gave him the forms, that include info for the process. Since it was not during my annual physical, he did repeat the required tests. Next time, I will do it as part of my annual physical, so no repeats or additions required.

It’s always seemed funny that my SCCA physical was tougher than my class 3 or Basic Med, yet it didn’t have any sort of SI silliness. And any place that did sports physicals was glad to do the SCCA exam.

Last edited:
I would find it entertaining the reason(s) the FAA thought that was necessary.

I would find it entertaining the reason(s) the FAA thought that was necessary.

You're using "entertaining" to describe something I consider spiteful and unnecessary and certainly put there by pouting FAA wogs who got told by congress to do their jobs. :D

That said, if the path between me and a sign-off is a wink of a brown eye, well, the man with the degree can get his fill.

I'd love to read a report where some disorder of the non-cirrus chute caused a plane to crash. But we don't really challenge stupid stuff anymore, so we are awash in it.

Mine went something like "I see no reason to examine" <checkmark>

The FAA didn’t. Congress did. It’s part of the law that established Basic Med.

My doc said, “Anus? Present.” Then he checked the box.
Looking at it today, we see that it was a mistake. But you know what they say, hind sight is 20 20…….

In some states a chiropractor can perform basic med exams.

The FAA didn’t. Congress did. It’s part of the law that established Basic Med.

My doc said, “Anus? Present.” Then he checked the box.
The only reason it's on the BasicMed exam is that Congress just copied an AME exam form.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back