Another First Officer...

You probably also hate the Oxford comma. It's ok, not everyone writes to be understood.
Apparently not everyone reads to understand, either. I'm not sure how you managed to interpret the complete opposite of what he was actually saying - it was pretty clearly written!

Regardless…. It’s not the norm, and can confuse some of us who do not have perfect English skills.

How stupid can things get..??

Negative, I do not. I love the Oxford comma. It reduces ambiguity, much as the singular they does as it offers the ability to be explicitly non-prescriptive in the gender of the subject, leaving the gendered pronouns for situations where the gender is explicitly prescribed. Using he as the singular generic is more ambiguous, not less.
There are much less ambiguous singular pronouns that are actually singular.

Under the FFDO program, can a captain deny the first officer bringing his firearm into the cockpit?

Are you not aware of the FFDO program? They all have jurisdiction of about 15 square feet and flash their badge for a Chik-Fil-A first responder discount at the airport outlets.

Not kidding. Coming back from Reno this year, one those guys was flashing his badge to get a ride in the crew shuttle to the airport. Driver told him it was a United crew only shuttle but he could ask the CA. Did the whole badge flash with the CA who asked if he was a United employee. Dude said no, CA said “Hotel guests have a shuttle available to them.” and left the dude.
This is the most silly post I’ve seen on POA.

FFDO’s are not allowed to flash badges. If it happened as you say, it is not the norm.

No FFDO flashes a badge at Chic filet.
For you to say that is beyond wrong.

Half the time my FO’s forget to tell me, and I’m the effing captain.

An aside: sometimes it is interesting to note the declared location of each posters, compare and contrast, correlate with opinion/views.

This is the most silly post I’ve seen on POA.

FFDO’s are not allowed to flash badges. If it happened as you say, it is not the norm.

No FFDO flashes a badge at Chic filet.
For you to say that is beyond wrong.

Half the time my FO’s forget to tell me, and I’m the effing captain.

It’s a wide, wide, world and yes, it happens. One of my personal favorites is a local guy who wears an FFDO lapel pin to church. The FFDOA also openly touts it’s industry discounts due to status as “Deputized Federal Law Enforcement Officers”.

Good on them for taking advantage of programs, but like any program, abuse happens.

Few things aggravate me more than reading an NYT article about some gender non-binary person in a conflict with a group of people, and trying to parse each sentence. "They said that they had violated their agreement with them, but they denied their agreement was consistent with their previous discussions with them." WTF?

I forgot about this one from the early days. A negligent discharge of this caliber in the military is usually career ending. Can’t speak to Army/USMC flight crews, but definitely for AF.
aa7ace5960e5c9a53461bba65dd73122.jpg

I forgot about this one from the early days. A negligent discharge of this caliber in the military is usually career ending. Can’t speak to Army/USMC flight crews, but definitely for AF.

So…. You keep one in the chamber inside the pressure vessel?? :eek2:

Heh. Wonder if this FFDO is the same John Dunn.

For the trifecta, his name eventually comes up in the failure to report VA disability scavenger hunt.

Heh. Wonder if this FFDO is the same John Dunn.

For the trifecta, his name eventually comes up in the failure to report VA disability scavenger hunt.

According to Air Force Times, it is the same guy.

"Sean P. Houlihan, a spokesperson for Air Force Reserve Command, confirmed to Military Times that information currently indicates the Dunn involved in this incident is the same individual at the center of the Supreme Court case."​

What I'd do to listen to the FDR audio between the pilots LOL

including all the other crazy stuff we see
Wonder the chances any of that will be made public?

Last edited:
It is the same guy. B-1 guy, callsign SHED.

Not to be outdone, the buff community has their own honorable mentions. Namely the guy who beat his ex fiancé almost to death after driving overnight across state lines to Tyndall, barely escaping the shower bloodied and running naked for her life all over the street. Gets 10 hard time, serves 9, 40 pending on parole, does a touch n go working for the VA, then gets hired several years later with a blue themed LCC.

The pr nightmare prompted a panic and the guy was taken off the line and fired shortly after training (rumor is IOE).

Contrary to popular opinion, it's not that hard a job to land these days. Given the amount of hiring in the past 6 years, it's fairly natural for some real sick cases to make it through. It's not airline specific either, they all have misfires (pun very much intended) in hiring. Thankfully no crashes over it, yet.

Last edited:
What I'd do to listen to the FDR audio between the pilots LOL

Wonder the chances any of that will be made public?

The CVR. FDR is the flight data.

Chance of the CVR being released is zero. First, it likely was not saved unless the Captain pulled the CB after arrival. Even if it was, the CVR transcript can be released but not the audio. FDR data is released on accident reports.

SHED out on bail you think?

I dunno how that works in Utah, but the arraignment is scheduled for Nov 16 according to the media.

Here's some extra background. It's been an interesting case of strange bedfellows. The media caught on to the fact he was on appeal against the usaf over a military reprimand, as part of the cohort of AF officers that refused the covid vax, before the service relaxed its stance on it a year later or so. So the media added that case law angle to the story.

Upon reading that inclusion in the story and finding it loaded, the tinfoils stared flying at work, yet again. Some of the folks I work with who are anti-vax crusaders, immediately start to argue that the whole thing is a conspiracy by "woke" Delta and the the big bad Govt to keep a good man down, by falsifying a narrative of the cockpit encounter as reprisal for his anti-vax kerfuffle with the DoD. It's like the world has lost the collective ability to hold two thoughts at the same time.

The anti-vaxers won't hear anything about anybody in a dispute over the vaccine, as anything but a case of a framed victim in every single attached context. You could be charged with murder and if you had a disagreement over mRNA vaccination at some point with someone, you're 100% being framed for murder because of covid in their eyes.

This stance of course puts them at odds with the other half of their otherwise politically same-sided military peers, who happen to know the personality track record behind the guy in question, well before the anti-vaxers took up that covid hill against the DoD.

What we do know is that DL fired him over the FFDO thing. We also know his history in the usaf as a perennial contrarian, absolutely hated by his peers and subordinates as a middle manager, and just a regular ol' blue falcon, well before the covid kerfuffles. If you haven't figured it out by now, his callsign means Super Huge Enormous Doosh, which he had well before he even left AD for AFRC (that occurred in 2014). Again, covid reprimands didn't start until fall'20/spring'21.

As to FFDOs, my experience with them is demographics-limited to the ones who are .mil side (whether .mil reservists/.civ airline dual-hatters, or clean separated/retired, I know both kinds). It's not a stellar look tbh. They tend to always gravitate into the same personality profile: overtly authoritarian to a virtue signaling degree (which is to say, gratuitously), outsized gun-enthusiast, all of them in legal fights with the DoD over one thing or another, which they deem defenses against tyranny. Always with passionate appeals about everything is a hill to die on and you're a coward/sycophant if you ever agree with the govt on anything. And lastly, a common denominator walter mitty/"if I'm ever in that situation watch out...." utterance/ideations about their role as FFDOs, usually under the backdrop of military service otherwise characterized by being combat support (aviation writ large), and not close contact arms like infantry or special operators. chip meet shoulder type thing.

Does that make homeboy guilty? Of course not, that's for the courts/jury to decide. But I wholeheartedly disagree this has anything to do with "anti-vaxer persecution" and I wish that trope would die already, it makes working in the military environment right now even more caustic than it already is, given the inflation-adjusted paycuts of present circumstances.

Last edited:
I dunno how that works in Utah, but the arraignment is scheduled for Nov 16 according to the media.

Here's some extra background. It's been an interesting case of strange bedfellows. The media caught on to the fact he was on appeal against the usaf over a military reprimand, as part of the cohort of AF officers that refused the covid vax, before the service relaxed its stance on it a year later or so. So the media added that case law angle angle to the story.

Upon reading that inclusion in the story and finding it loaded, the tinfoils stared flying at work, yet again. Some of the folks I work with who are anti-vax crusaders, immediately start to argue that the whole thing is a conspiracy by "woke" Delta and the the big bad Govt to keep a good man down, by falsifying a narrative of the cockpit encounter as reprisal for his anti-vax kerfuffle with the DoD. It's like the world has lost the collective ability to hold two thoughts at the same time.

The anti-vaxers won't hear anything about anybody in a dispute over the vaccine, as anything but a case of a framed victim in every single attached context. You could be charged with murder and if you had a disagreement over mRNA vaccination at some point with someone, you're 100% being framed for murder because of covid in their eyes.

This stance of course puts them at odds with the other half of their otherwise politically same-sided military peers, who happen to know the personality track record behind the guy in question, well before the anti-vaxers took up that covid hill against the DoD.

What we do know is that DL fired him over the FFDO thing. We also know his history in the usaf as a perennial contrarian, absolutely hated by his peers and subordinates as a middle manager, and just a regular ol' blue falcon, well before the covid kerfuffles. If you haven't figured it out by now, his callsign means Super Huge Enormous Doosh, which he had well before he even left AD for AFRC (that occurred in 2014). Again, covid reprimands didn't start until fall'20/spring'21.

As to FFDOs, my experience with them is demographics-limited to the ones who are .mil side (whether .mil reservists/.civ airline dual-hatters, or clean separated/retired, I know both kinds). It's not a stellar look tbh. They tend to always gravitate into the same personality profile: overtly authoritarian to a virtue signaling degree (which is to say, gratuitously), outsized gun-enthusiast, all of them in legal fights with the DoD over one thing or another, which they deem defenses against tyranny. Always with passionate appeals about everything is a hill to die on and you're a coward/sycophant if you ever agree with the govt on anything. And lastly, a common denominator walter mitty/"if I'm ever in that situation watch out...." utterance/ideations about their role as FFDOs, usually under the backdrop of military service otherwise characterized by being combat support (aviation writ large), and not close contact arms like infantry of special operators. chip meet shoulder type thing.

Does that that make homeboy guilty? Of course not, that's for the courts/jury to decide. But I wholeheartedly disagree this has anything to do with "anti-vaxer persecution" and I wish that trope would die already, it makes working in the military environment right now even more caustic than it already is, given the inflation-adjusted paycuts of present circumstances.
Thanks for the inside story!

If you haven't figured it out by now, his callsign means Super Huge Enormous Doosh
Yes, the really big ones, lol! You have to explain it, remember, I’m Army.

Sometimes you would think there is a fraternity of these people out there, but I’m beginning to think it’s a national movement.

Last edited:

Sometimes you would think there is a fraternity of these people out there, but I’m beginning to think it’s a national movement.

Yeah it's like everything else in life, there's always going to be hall monitor types, joan of arc in their own mind types, and everything in between. It's when their impulses start impacting other people's lives, that we get into these frictions we call life and unfortunately, case law.

It's funny you mention the word fraternity; much of the legit injustices I've witnessed in my time in the military have come at the hands of what a former smeared fighter pilot colleague of mine labeled "sorority antics". His words not mine, when describing the internal politics of fighter squadrons. I would of course be smeared an out-grouper for making the same observation, but I've long stopped giving a s%th about that appeal to authority fallacy.

In fairness, I've heard similar dynamics present in other circles, such as law enforcement and federal aviation units within the DHS umbrella et al.

Last edited:

Fratenity or mafia. There’s a few specialized subsets I tended to see it in most…mostly fighter pilots and (F)WIC patch wearers in the AF was my experience. People who felt .gov was too invested in them for their stuff not to stink. And in some cases, especially with. (F)WIC, taking care of their own to avoid a bad look on the community as a whole while simultaneously re-writing the AFIs to take care of the community as a whole.

Here's some extra background. It's been an interesting case of strange bedfellows. The media caught on to the fact he was on appeal against the usaf over a military reprimand, as part of the cohort of AF officers that refused the covid vax, before the service relaxed its stance on it a year later or so. So the media added that case law angle to the story.

As to FFDOs, my experience with them is demographics-limited to the ones who are .mil side (whether .mil reservists/.civ airline dual-hatters, or clean separated/retired, I know both kinds). It's not a stellar look tbh. They tend to always gravitate into the same personality profile: overtly authoritarian to a virtue signaling degree (which is to say, gratuitously), outsized gun-enthusiast, all of them in legal fights with the DoD over one thing or another, which they deem defenses against tyranny. Always with passionate appeals about everything is a hill to die on and you're a coward/sycophant if you ever agree with the govt on anything. And lastly, a common denominator walter mitty/"if I'm ever in that situation watch out...." utterance/ideations about their role as FFDOs, usually under the backdrop of military service otherwise characterized by being combat support (aviation writ large), and not close contact arms like infantry or special operators. chip meet shoulder type thing.

Does that make homeboy guilty? Of course not, that's for the courts/jury to decide. But I wholeheartedly disagree this has anything to do with "anti-vaxer persecution" and I wish that trope would die already, it makes working in the military environment right now even more caustic than it already is, given the inflation-adjusted paycuts of present circumstances.
I fly with FFDO a bunch. Most are not as you describe. Perhaps its mostly the ones from the military that are super tools. That would explain your observation.

Life hint, if you are a hot headed loser, don’t carry a gun.

LOR / suspension but generally not a career ender. Army ain’t very bright so you gotta expect an ND every now and then. :) Have a friend who flys for Spirit who’s crew chief shot a hole through the floor with his M240 while trying to clear it. As PIC he took the heat which was I believe just a 30 day suspension. Crew chief got off with a slap on the wrist.

My crew chief shot one in the clearing barrel outside the chow hall in Iraq. Hour later the CO walks into the ops tent and I hear him say “who was Sgt (name) PIC today?” I’m like:oops:. Nothing really happened other than a new policy that PIC’s cleared everyone before leaving the flight line.

Last edited:
LOR / suspension but generally not a career ender. Army ain’t very bright so you gotta expect an NG every now and then. :) Have a friend who flys for Spirit who’s crew chief shot a hole through the floor with his M240 while trying to clear it. As PIC he took the heat which was I believe just a 30 day suspension. Crew chief got off with a slap on the wrist.

My crew chief shot one in the clearing barrel outside the chow hall in Iraq. Hour later the CO walks into the ops tent and I hear him say “who was Sgt (name) PIC today?” I’m like:oops:. Nothing really happened other than a new policy that PIC’s cleared everyone before leaving the flight line.

Kind of explains the condition yellow order in Afg on my last deployment. was chambered round and The USAF guidance was an ND on the ground = Article 15 if nobody/nothing was hurt.

Standard AF condition for the M9 was chambered & de-cocked, not condition yellow.

Kind of explains the condition yellow order in Afg on my last deployment. was chambered round and The USAF guidance was an ND on the ground = Article 15 if nobody/nothing was hurt.

Standard AF condition for the M9 was chambered & de-cocked, not condition yellow.
I stayed green. I thought, if I go down, it’ll only take a couple seconds to chamber a round and select “fire” on both M9 & M4. I had enough problems remembering to safe the flares. Didn’t need a ND to make matters worse. :D

Saw plenty of clearing barrels murdered in my day. When you have 200,000 people armed to the teeth, some of them are going to FU. The ones that routinely go outside the wire generally are safe because of repetition. The ones you have to watch out for are those who carry on an irregular basis.

My favorite was a Navy lawyer attached to a joint unit. A Navy reservist who was a cop IRL convinced him to carry a shotgun for the run from BIAP to the Green Zone. In addition to being completely useless for anything tactical other than breaching, shotguns are notorious for NDs. They also make a really loud boom. We were headed into the HQ to brief the 3 star ground force commander in Iraq, David Petraeus at the time, and the JAG blasted the barrel right outside his office. That led to a very awkward meeting.

Seen too many amateurs screw up with weapons to ever be comfortable with an idea like FFDO.

In VN there were various options but I carried a S&W M10 revolver in a shoulder holster. Went everywhere with it. For some reason people didn’t want M1911 pistols to have magazines in them unless you were on a mission. One time I had shut down on a fire base and had some time on my hands. I asked if I could pop off a few rounds at the perimeter and they said go ahead. To my mortification, that thing was clogged up with sand. Never thought a revolver could jam but learned something that day. Not a big deal because I always kept a CAR-15 in the aircraft, along with a bandolier of magazines. Used it successfully a few times. Never jammed. Loved that thing.

Unless you’re engaged in active hunting, military activities, etc., I can’t see why you’d walk around with a chambered weapon.

Back