Am I too big to be a CFI?

Arxos

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Arxos
I'm finishing up my CSEL right now and I'm looking at getting my CFI/CFII this year and hopefully use SkillBridge to get a CFI job early next year before I get out of the Navy. My concern is that I'm physically too big. I'm 6'5" and about 225 pounds. I did my training in 172s, DA-20s, and DA-40s (zero headroom in the 20s and 40s with headset on). Depending on what airplanes a school uses, I'm worried that I'd either be too tall, or my weight would limit the students I could fly with.

It would be tight in a 150/152 or most of the other 2 place trainers, i suspect. But I wouldn’t think it would be too much of an issue in any of the 4 place birds.

What are you training in? Are you comfortable in it?

There aren’t that many 150/152 around flight school up here. Some have none. Mostly 172s.

I think you should worry more about banging your head on the wing during walk around then if you are too big.

You have another 2in on me. I found that the Cessna products, even the 152 was good on headroom. Payload wise you should be able to take pretty much any student in a 172. You may rub shoulders. Best would be a 182, just not many people who will pay to train in one of those.

I think you should worry more about banging your head on the wing during walk around then if you are too big.

That's actually less of an issue as the pointy stuff is at eye level and folks at 6'5" are used to ducking things like door jambs and light fixtures.

I just finished a BFR in a 150 because I wanted to simulate an LSA I am thinking about. I’m 5 lbs heavier than you & 3” shorter. The instructor was about 170. We limited the plane to 12 gals of fuel, about 2 hrs of flying time. No problem, other than folding in & out.

American pilots & instructors generally ate our way out of training in 150’s and into 172’s decades ago. Never flown a diamond.

At 6’5” it’s likely that your knees block the yoke (fully extended) and your feet block the rudder pedals. I recently flew in a 172 with no shoes so my feet were under and out of the way.

Pushing the seat all the way back to get legs/knees out of the way means that the seat isn’t locked in place. Obviously very dangerous that one time in a thousand flights that it matters.

Shoulder belt anchors are another thing to consider. Very painful.

Another alternative is to sit at an angle, drape an arm on the other seat, etc. All not conducive to training.

Everyone is different (tall torso short legs or the reverse) so maybe you won’t have these problems.

Finally, how big are the students?

I'm finishing up my CSEL right now and I'm looking at getting my CFI/CFII this year and hopefully use SkillBridge to get a CFI job early next year before I get out of the Navy. My concern is that I'm physically too big. I'm 6'5" and about 225 pounds. I did my training in 172s, DA-20s, and DA-40s (zero headroom in the 20s and 40s with headset on). Depending on what airplanes a school uses, I'm worried that I'd either be too tall, or my weight would limit the students I could fly with.
At your size, if you fit in the airplane, you will not have a problem teaching it. When I read the thread title I was expecting you to say you were about 100 pounds heavier. If that was the case then we would have a different conversation, since your width would be an issue as would your weight for gross weight/CG limitations.

But at 225 pounds, that's not as much of a concern. I'm 210, but have been 225, and it didn't limit me in any way I can tell.

With the height, if you fit (especially in the 172s you've been training in), you're good.

Also, one person's 6'5" is not another person's 6'5". It all depends on how long your legs are vs your torso. So you can't take one 6'5" person's advice on whether or not you'll fit without trying it yourself.

And if it's tight on headroom, I do also suggest the in-ear headsets @Brad Z recommends. I don't personally use them, but then again I'm a shorty at 6'2".

Yes. For some students you will be too large.

To be fair, you can do whatever you'd like. If this is truly your passion, go for it.

However, I would not want to take lessons from you in a 150/52, or even a 172. These planes are cramped enough for two people, much less a larger person like yourself. After the first flight I would probably be looking for a new instructor.

For a new student, the cramped cockpits with a normal instructor take some getting use to. People are generally use to a certain amount of personal space. The first time you get into a cockpit and realize you are crammed into this tiny space, and rubbing shoulders with someone you don't know, is uncomfortable. This can create additional anxiety for new students.

I've been flying for 30 years and I still don't like taking a flight review with someone I barely know.

I think this cramped feeling of rubbing up against a stranger adds to the stress of a new student, and this is for a normal size person. Someone your size is going to make the cockpit feel claustrophobic.

A secondary consideration will be your weight. It will add to the difficulty of all maneuvers, especially if you are training in a 150/52. The larger the aircraft the less impact but in the smaller ones, it is a consideration.

If you want to be a CFI, you should go for it. Just be aware that some of your potential students will have some of these concerns.

Yes. For some students you will be too large.

To be fair, you can do whatever you'd like. If this is truly your passion, go for it.

However, I would not want to take lessons from you in a 150/52, or even a 172. These planes are cramped enough for two people, much less a larger person like yourself. After the first flight I would probably be looking for a new instructor.

For a new student, the cramped cockpits with a normal instructor take some getting use to. People are generally use to a certain amount of personal space. The first time you get into a cockpit and realize you are crammed into this tiny space, and rubbing shoulders with someone you don't know, is uncomfortable. This can create additional anxiety for new students.

I've been flying for 30 years and I still don't like taking a flight review with someone I barely know.

I think this cramped feeling of rubbing up against a stranger adds to the stress of a new student, and this is for a normal size person. Someone your size is going to make the cockpit feel claustrophobic.

A secondary consideration will be your weight. It will add to the difficulty of all maneuvers, especially if you are training in a 150/52. The larger the aircraft the less impact but in the smaller ones, it is a consideration.

If you want to be a CFI, you should go for it. Just be aware that some of your potential students will have some of these concerns.
Someone 6'5" and 225 pounds probably isn't very wide, which is the main concern for rubbing-shoulders-type uncomfortableness. My BIL is 6'5" and 210 pounds, and most people would probably call him too thin. Another 15 pounds would probably be just right for him.

1. Did you fit in those planes?
2. Figure out what the POH for each of them says, calculate max weight for student...

I was 285 flying with fatter CFI at times.

At 6’5” it’s likely that your knees block the yoke (fully extended) and your feet block the rudder pedals. I recently flew in a 172 with no shoes so my feet were under and out of the way.

Pushing the seat all the way back to get legs/knees out of the way means that the seat isn’t locked in place. Obviously very dangerous that one time in a thousand flights that it matters.

Shoulder belt anchors are another thing to consider. Very painful.

Another alternative is to sit at an angle, drape an arm on the other seat, etc. All not conducive to training.

Everyone is different (tall torso short legs or the reverse) so maybe you won’t have these problems.

Finally, how big are the students?
I didn't have any yoke or stick clearance issues in the 172 or the Diamonds. I did have to lower the seat and move in pretty far back in the 172s I flew. I think the main issue is that I have really wide shoulders.

1. Did you fit in those planes?
2. Figure out what the POH for each of them says, calculate max weight for student...

I was 285 flying with fatter CFI at times.
The 172s were pretty roomy for me. The Diamonds are pretty snug, and I do have to slightly slouch when I have my headset on.

One thing that might help is getting in-ear headsets that don't have a band over the top of your head. That will give you another inch of space. Otherwise it's doable.
I'll look into that. Though I've read the noise cancelling in those aren't very good for piston planes, especially compared to over-ears with active noise cancelling.

If you are asking the question, it's probably worth contemplating making an effort to slim down whatever is reasonable. Your future self and medicals will probably thank you, too. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

If you are asking the question, it's probably worth contemplating making an effort to slim down whatever is reasonable. Your future self and medicals will probably thank you, too. At least that's what I'm telling myself.

Can’t cut inches off height. OP is 6’5”.

Flight schools look for a CFI 20 years old and under 6' and 150 lbs and their is no shortage of CFI looking to get their first job. Why would a school hire someone that can't fit or be overweight in all their aircraft. Looking for that first job FBO are full of CFI's trying to do that, also they know you are probably going to fly away at 1500hr to the airlines.

Flight schools look for a CFI 20 years old and under 6' and 150 lbs and their is no shortage of CFI looking to get their first job. Why would a school hire someone that can't fit or be overweight in all their aircraft. Looking for that first job FBO are full of CFI's trying to do that, also they know you are probably going to fly away at 1500hr to the airlines.

Until very recently schools were scooping up CFIs due to the airlines hoovering up all the experienced instructors. Most CFIs are on the airline career path. Flight schools are aware of it and profit from it.

To the OP: nothing about your physique will prevent you from flight instructing. Stay in shape while you flight instruct and all will be well. Balloon into a heavy pilot before you are actually flying heavies and life may suck. As others have said, all planes have their unique limitations.

No. I’m 6’6” and when I was teaching full time weighed 230ish. Never a problem. I was often uncomfortable but was able to do my job. 150s and 152s were tight.

Maybe don't fly a Grumman, I'm more legs than torso at 6'1" and switched to in-ear headset and remove the seat cushion and sit directly on the seat pan to get more clearance. 205 lb

I'll add my recommendation for a in-ear headset. I have a A36 which is not great on headroom and the in-ear helped for that. I used to be 235 and my CFII had about 80lb on me. We had to throw 50lb into the baggage compartment to remain within forward CG.

I'm a CFI, 6' 5" and 250 lbs give or take, and although it's a squeeze in a C150, it's doable (I was able to squeeze into a U-2 for half a day after all). I make sure the seat is all the way back (obviously) and position myself as far into the rear right corner as possible (no slouching allowed), and the controls are clear. It helps if I get in first. Depending on the weight of the student, the fuel load window is 12 to 17 gallons. The C172 is no problem at all, a welcome relief from the 150.

I’m surprised you had enough room for 2 people in a 152. I sat in one along time ago and my right shoulder went to the middle of the passenger seat. I’m 6-2, about 200 and I fly with CFIs about my size in 172s and I’m fine.

6', 260 here and I wasn't the largest instructor by any means where I used to fly. We used 172s and it was only an issue with other larger students.

Maybe don't fly a Grumman, I'm more legs than torso at 6'1" and switched to in-ear headset and remove the seat cushion and sit directly on the seat pan to get more clearance. 205 lb

AA-1 or AA-5? I've always been interested in the -5s but have never sat in one to see how they fit.

I'll also get on the train to recommend a good in ear headset (if you can tolerate plugs in your ears). I have found that my Clarity Aloft, with the correct ear-tips for me (supplied by another company), are very quiet and IMHO are better than most of the ANR sets that I've tried.

At Sun N Fun one year, I had custom ear tips molded. Custom tips + in-ear headset. Much cheaper that a Bose or Lightspeed, more head room, and less heat and sweat in Florida summer. Caveat, I fly a traveler with the O-320 and isn't as loud as a twin (I switched back to ANR headset for multi training).

Back