Airline Pilots?

MatthewJetPilot

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Matthew J
I will try this again, as I see my thread looking for other National Gay Pilots Association members was shot down. Quite disappointing, especially for a group of other pilots who I’d assume would be accepting. My husband and work at Envoy. I’m a first officer and he’s a flight attendant. In an effort to connect with other airline employees or even ones at Envoy, do we have any others here?

Matt

If you're looking for fellow airline pilots, you might try looking at forums and internet boards that are focused on airline pilots. Most of this forum's users are GA pilots. There are some airline pilots, but not too many, so it may be hard to find connections with such a specific group of people here.

ETA: You might find more of what you are looking for at places like these:
1. https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/envoy-airlines/
2.https://www.theairlinepilots.com/forum/
3. https://forums.propilotworld.com/

Every airline I've ever heard of has at least a FB group for the pilots. I'd try there.

Man I flew on Envoy two days ago…ugh.:( Hey, welcome to POA though!

I think it’s time for a POA airline sub forum.

Welcome to the forum! Pilots have lots of opinions and too many alcoholic beverages so don’t take to heart what some of the old grumps on here say.

Maybe we need yet another subforum, that way I can ignore it.

Hey now, I fly the smallest big plane out there:D

Gonna be joining you in being a lazy bastard here soon - likely headed to training in January. My mother-in-law is already talking about being excited for removing my stripe! :p

Gonna be joining you in being a lazy bastard here soon - likely headed to training in January. My mother-in-law is already talking about being excited for removing my stripe! :p
No longer El Capitan? What are you bidding over to?

No longer El Capitan? What are you bidding over to?

The 777 - it's the only widebody we have in NYC. Missed out on the days of flying the 757/767 - I'm jealous!

Something that pays better?

Nah, will actually take a pay cut. But I've never done the widebody thing, so I figure I'd give it a shot while I'm (relatively) young to see what I think.

Nah, will actually take a pay cut. But I've never done the widebody thing, so I figure I'd give it a shot while I'm (relatively) young to see what I think.

While I didn’t downgrade to do it, I did more or less the same thing with the 777 and ended up staying on it for 17 years.

The 777 - it's the only widebody we have in NYC. Missed out on the days of flying the 757/767 - I'm jealous!.
Congrats! I think you’ll love the flying. If you can sleep on break and adjust ok once you’re at the layover, you should be good to go.

The 777 - it's the only widebody we have in NYC. Missed out on the days of flying the 757/767 - I'm jealous!

I’ll see you at CDG one of these days

If you can sleep on break and adjust ok once you’re at the layover, you should be good to go.

you mean other than the shooting how was the play Mrs. Lincoln?
/TC

Maybe we need yet another subforum, that way I can ignore it.

And make it like the classifieds, where you can't haggle/make jokes at the expense of the forum topic, so it becomes a worse echo chamber than APC. :rolleyes::D

We're supposed to do transatlantic stuff when we get the 321Neo's next year, and go deeper into Europe when we get the 321XLR in 2024. I'm looking forward to it, assuming they don't go super senior.

Congrats! I think you’ll love the flying. If you can sleep on break and adjust ok once you’re at the layover, you should be good to go.

Thanks man. The sleep is definitely something that could be an issue - we'll see how well my body adjusts to it. The good news is I'll be coming in at about 40% in the seat, so I should have the bidding power to play around with the kind of flying I do to come up with the best fit. Worst case my body can't adapt and I'll go back to narrowbody in 2 years, but based on what 99% of guys tell me, that's not going to happen. ;)

Thanks man. The sleep is definitely something that could be an issue - we'll see how well my body adjusts to it. The good news is I'll be coming in at about 40% in the seat, so I should have the bidding power to play around with the kind of flying I do to come up with the best fit. Worst case my body can't adapt and I'll go back to narrowbody in 2 years, but based on what 99% of guys tell me, that's not going to happen. ;)
You’ll get paid to sleep, probably get fat on the crew meals and have more time at home. I’m debating whether or not to stay an FO until I can hold WB CA lol.

Sleeping in the bunks take a bit of practice and planning. Empty your bladder before your break! Laying down with the vibrations will shorten your break. Nothing to drink for a while before your break. Your bladder will wake you up when you don;t want it to. I always liked the last break, it just worked out best for me. everybody is different. Some ear plugs were a must for me. Set my own timer so I could wake up a couple minutes before my break was over. Takes a few minutes to get the fog out of my head after I wake up. When the 777 was new i was an FO/IRO. As IRO I made the bunks for everybody, and left chocolates on the pillows. Just a bit of fun on the line. F/A's will slam their jump seat when they get up. That will wake you up. The "mind set" of sleep is important to get rest, both on layovers and on the flight. Have a great time with it.

see ya around the school house, i just took the upgrade on the bus.

see ya around the school house, i just took the upgrade on the bus.

Congrats! I don't have my official training dates yet, but once I do I'll be sure to let you know. It'd be great if there's some overlap!

waiting on mine also. i thought about WB but really don't want to learn a new aircraft right now.

You will find the sleeping pattern that fits you. You will do fine. Challenging one is those “short” flights from East coast to western European places like: LIS, LHR, DUB, etc. Short flight, short breaks (you really do not get to sleep well in flight). I recommend daily exercising, even a 20 minute session will do good in the long run (I am hoping…). Have fun training.

You will find the sleeping pattern that fits you. You will do fine. Challenging one is those “short” flights from East coast to western European places like: LIS, LHR, DUB, etc. Short flight, short breaks (you really do not get to sleep well in flight). I recommend daily exercising, even a 20 minute session will do good in the long run (I am hoping…). Have fun training.
We do BOS-DUB, EDI, LIS with a 2 man crew at DL. It’s brutal but I’d still rather do that than fly a crappy domestic trip.

I will try this again, as I see my thread looking for other National Gay Pilots Association members was shot down. Quite disappointing, especially for a group of other pilots who I’d assume would be accepting. My husband and work at Envoy. I’m a first officer and he’s a flight attendant. In an effort to connect with other airline employees or even ones at Envoy, do we have any others here?

Matt

It's not that you're being picked on, but most of us are held to a standard where political activism is not tolerated - and by the way many of us (in fact probably most of us) dislike that.

Back