Airline Pilots?

I became an airline pilot at age five. In fact, I still have my plastic United wings.

My parents probably have those same wings for me. Took a United 727 flight with my folks when I was less than a year old and got a set of wings. I know they're still on the first page of my baby scrapbook - should have them dig it out and take a photo. :)

It's not that you're being picked on, but most of us are held to a standard where political activism is not tolerated - and by the way many of us (in fact probably most of us) dislike that.
His "ejection handle" got pulled, so he's not likely to see your post.

Thanks man. The sleep is definitely something that could be an issue - we'll see how well my body adjusts to it. The good news is I'll be coming in at about 40% in the seat, so I should have the bidding power to play around with the kind of flying I do to come up with the best fit. Worst case my body can't adapt and I'll go back to narrowbody in 2 years, but based on what 99% of guys tell me, that's not going to happen. ;)
I'd say the biggest advice I can give you as a long-haul guy is if you can keep some control on your (1) diet and (2) exercise on the road, you'll be way ahead.

Now, this is a more of a "do as I say and not as I do" kinda thing, because the diet control somehow seems to elude me. I don't know how it is for you guys, but we're catered with so much food that it becomes very tempting to eat out of boredom during the flight. I try to avoid that at all costs. I also try to order my meals (we can select our catering) when I'm feeling good and healthy, that way I choose salads and fish rather than Corky's BBQ and chocolate cake.

I do better with exercise. For me it's more enjoyable to go our for a run in these foreign cities if, for nothing else, the scenery is beautiful/different. I'm not a gym rat, but I'll try to get a 3-5 mile run in at least every other day on the road.

It's still a constant battle with my belt buckle, but right now we're at at impasse. Hopefully I can start gaining some ground soon.

Enjoy the world of long-haul flying, and enjoy the Triple. Once you get used to that ECL, you'll never want to use a paper checklist again.

I'd say the biggest advice I can give you as a long-haul guy is if you can keep some control on your (1) diet and (2) exercise on the road, you'll be way ahead.

Now, this is a more of a "do as I say and not as I do" kinda thing, because the diet control somehow seems to elude me. I don't know how it is for you guys, but we're catered with so much food that it becomes very tempting to eat out of boredom during the flight. I try to avoid that at all costs. I also try to order my meals (we can select our catering) when I'm feeling good and healthy, that way I choose salads and fish rather than Corky's BBQ and chocolate cake.

I do better with exercise. For me it's more enjoyable to go our for a run in these foreign cities if, for nothing else, the scenery is beautiful/different. I'm not a gym rat, but I'll try to get a 3-5 mile run in at least every other day on the road.

It's still a constant battle with my belt buckle, but right now we're at at impasse. Hopefully I can start gaining some ground soon.

Enjoy the world of long-haul flying, and enjoy the Triple. Once you get used to that ECL, you'll never want to use a paper checklist again.

Very much appreciate the advice!

My crash pad had a nice gym in the garage. Most of the hotels would let me use the gym (if I was quiet) during off hours when I couldn't sleep. Getting excersize is a very big part of flying, and an even bigger part of international flying. You just can't keep up the stamina with out it.

Back