A & P certification. Is it worth it?

easik

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
easik
Just curious, does anyone hold an A&P certification? and will you recommend that a builder get one for maintenance purposes? there is the benefit of working with it as well. Please advise. Thanks.

What do you want to do as a builder with an A&P that you can’t with just a Repairman’s Certificate?

I assume you already know what will be required to be issued either certificate.

By "benefit" do you mean "you done gone to school and learnt sompin" or "I gets to works on my own airplane whenever I want"?

First scenario: Bob Dole's underwear (google if you be under 50)
Second: No A&P required. I ain't got one, and I work on my ride all the time.

A&P here.....for a builder it's not necessary. It is a full time two year deal to get the A&P, so, it's no small effort. Is it a good thing to have?....yup. Will you learn aircraft systems?....yup. Will it make you a better builder?....yup. But, it's not needed.

If you have an A&P you can buy an already built Experimental and do everything on it including the annual (condition) inspection. You can also do most repairs on Certificated aircraft as well, just not the annual inspection.

By "benefit" do you mean "you done gone to school and learnt sompin" or "I gets to works on my own airplane whenever I want"?

First scenario: Bob Dole's underwear (google if you be under 50)
Second: No A&P required. I ain't got one, and I work on my ride all the time.

"I gets to works on my own airplane whenever I want" :)

And for the "show me the reg" 43.1
(b) This part does not apply to—

(1) Any aircraft for which the FAA has issued an experimental certificate, unless the FAA has previously issued a different kind of airworthiness certificate for that aircraft;

"I gets to works on my own airplane whenever I want" :)

First,with an E-AB aircraft you can work on it anytime and do any kind maintenance without any kind of certificate whatsoever. The only thing you need an A&P or repairman’s cert for is to sign off on the annual condition inspection. Now that’s the legal part. The common sense part is just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

Back