A modest proposal...

Do you support a section dedicated to forming flying clubs/partnerships on PoA?

• Total voters

hish747

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Hish747
It's really challenging to find potential partners for aircraft fractional ownership, partnerships or on a larger scale, to form flying clubs around the country. There's a smattering of ads on Barnstormers, TAP and similar sites, but by and large no real go to resource that I'm aware of.

As the premiere online aviation community, I think PoA can help with this frustrating problem. I don't think that it's just that there are so few pilots interested in this. So I'm curious if there's ever been any thought given to creating a section for those who are interested in fractional ownership and forming flying clubs.

If I'm missing an obvious resource please enlighten me. Otherwise, do folks think this would be a good idea?
Hish

A sub-forum for this would be great. Trying to put ads up among iPads and radios for sale in the classifieds is ineffective. A lot of people never think to look there as well for partnership and club opportunities.

Why not? Even though it'll end up being more than the original purpose, and probably end up with James wanting a C180/taildragger one too. ;)

Last edited:
This is definitely worth consideration. The MC will discuss it.

Beechtalk has a "clubs" forum used just for that. don't know how effective it is though.

The only person I would partner with on here would be James or Tom D

Ironically, in the last 5-6 years, the majority of inquiries about our flying club, Ten Hi Flyers (www.tenhiflyers.com) has come from .... believe it or not .... craigslist!

We've tried a number of different marking directions, including handouts and static displays at airport open houses, fly-ins, AOPA clubs, here on occasion, Colorado Pilots Association classifieds, notecards on FBO bulletin boards, and craigslist outperforms them all. Weird to me ... :)

But I vote Yes for a sub-forum, but it's not up for vote, so I urge the MC - yes! :)

That's a great idea, right now I would be ecstatic if I find a couple of pilots to pair up with for a flying club in my home airport

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Hit up a few local airports and you can find partners. I know at least 5 people that would buy into the 172 if we opened more 'slots'.

Ironically, in the last 5-6 years, the majority of inquiries about our flying club, Ten Hi Flyers (www.tenhiflyers.com) has come from .... believe it or not .... craigslist!

:)

Oh I believe it! I've found two clubs on Craigslist. I type "airplane" in the search box and they came up.

If anyone in the Montgomery AL area is interested there's one w/ a C172, and Birmingham AL area one with two Archers IIs, a 1978 and a 1985.

I may have just been stupendously lucky, but I stumbled into a loooong established club/partnership; I noticed a logo on a 172's tail, with the club name; a flying buddy was with me, told he'd been a member, and they were solid, minimum BS, maximum utility, optimized for x-ctry. I was looking to buy (a real big step for a humble civil servant), but instead bought into the club. It's been great, and if you split big ticket items 15 ways, you get a very affordable well maintained, airplane. Good avionics (STEC AP, G530, etc.), busy members, so booking is great, the work is divided up, etc. All tach, no Hobbs, $82 per hour wet, tiny dues. . .

As I say, could be luck - but I think I'll put off buying until I retire in a couple years and move away. . .

Seems like I stumbled into the wrong thread . . . But I did enjoy "A Modest Proposal" by Jonathan Swift.

Well, it might not be the "perfect" place, but perfection is over-rated anyway. I think it could be occasionally effective.

Anybody want to form a club or partnership around my Bonanza in the Daytona Beach/Ormond Beach area?

Two people have voted that POA is not the proper place for this. I'd like to hear why they think that?

You go on controller and there's literally 16 partnerships listed for the entire country and most are corporate setups for Cirrus SR22s.

You see offers in the classifieds here sometimes, but they get lost in the shuffle quickly.

I don't see a downside to have a specific place for them here.

I never look at the post categories, I just look at 'recent' 99% of the time, so a sub-forum doesn't do much for me, but I think a standard thread title would serve the same purpose. or both, subforum and standard format, like have a thread for each area like: partnership/club Kwherever if everyone followed the same format it would be easily searchable and findable. I've thought similar 'standard' threads for hangar talk for certain areas would be useful. People don't always put their home airport in their profile and I don't even know of a way to search that. For example, I did a search for: partnership club stow and I get:
upload_2017-1-18_10-26-7.png

Now imagine if there were more airports in Stow and others had posted an interest thread, then i'd have multiple results in that format. Or if I entered 6B6 i'd get one. If the format could add the region it would be even more helpful. Maybe just adding 'tags' in that parentheses area, like Atlanta, Denver.

I'd like to see perpetuated threads like this that could help us meet local pilots, something like Hangar Talk 6B6 (Stow, MA)

I'm just picking on 6B6 Stow, MA because that was a result I found that looked pretty good. The scheme could be better, i'm just saying a thread title scheme could go a long way to organize posts and bring locals together.

I vote yes, but why not just post in classifieds?
If I am considering looking for a club/partnership, or if I have a club/partnership and want to solicit someone to join, and I scan the forums, I would never think to look in classifieds. But if there were a forum titled "Clubs/Partnerships", that is where I would post, or look for a post. Sure, most people just click on "New Posts" most of time. So do I. But when I have something specific to post or to look for, or if I am trying to find a post that I erad before but can't find with a search, I scan the list of forums and then open the most appropriate forum.

Many suggestions for sub forums are admittedly of little value. But I think this type of sub-forum would offer a lot of value, and I might even go so far as to say that it would be good for the future of GA.

There are many good reasons for such a forum, but I can only think of a few reasons against it, and they are not really very good reasons at all.

I was looking for two partners for our partnership to complete our 5 Guys Aviation and received great response on craigslist. I paid for an ad on Barnstormers with no replies. Out of the blue, two guys just inquired within the last month or two and I'm not exactly sure where they came from or found out about us. This is a great idea for this site.

The MC has been discussing this proposal and generally agree it's a good idea. The question becomes, if we split up the Classifieds, how much do we split it up? We want to have the appropriate number of divisions without making things too diluted.

I've started a new thread with a poll for some potential options, and a request for feedback from the group:

https://www.pilotsofamerica.com/com...ng-up-the-classifieds-input-requested.100655/

All your choices in the poll are good.

At the very least I'd say Partnership/Clubs, Airplanes, Aviation related equipment, non aviation related equipment.

I also think it might be useful to have a thread for each State under the Partnerships/Clubs sub forum.

Aircraft For Sale
Flying Clubs & Partnerships
Professional Services
Everything Else (boiled peanuts would go here)

Back