Splitting Up the Classifieds - Input Requested

Which Classifieds sub-forums would you like to see?

• Partnerships/Clubs

Votes: 47 75.8%
  • Aircraft

Votes: 40 64.5%
  • Aircraft Parts

Votes: 24 38.7%
  • Handhelds/Accessories

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • Aviation Memorabilia

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Aircraft Services

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • Not Aircraft Related

Votes: 14 22.6%
  • Leave it alone! No changes to the Classifieds

Votes: 12 19.4%

• Total voters

Ted

The pilot formerly known as Twin Engine Ted
Display Name

Display name:
iFlyNothing
A thread started in Flight Following requested that we add a Classifieds section specifically for partnerships. This leads into the option of potentially splitting up the Classifieds further in order to make it easier for folks to search for the items they're looking for. We don't want to dilute the Classifieds too much, though, which is easy to do.

I've created a poll with options for some sub-forums that might be useful. More likely, we might divide Classifieds up into a couple of sub-forums, but not as many as are listed. There are 25 threads in the Classifieds that have been active this past week with a wide range of what's being offered. Some threads are WTB threads, so it's assumed that any sub-forum would be WTB as well as FS for that topic.

Please vote on the options you think you would use rather than ones you think others would use. Feel free to make suggestions for better options.

Would you see Avionics going under Handhelds/Accessories? Seems like that would be a popular one, and then all the Garmin Scammers could have their own forum.

I voted for all of them, because all those would interest me at different times and it would be nice if it was sorted by category like Ted has outlined.

Good idea, to classify the classifieds.

I'd suggest broadening the partnership category to include clubs.

Would you see Avionics going under Handhelds/Accessories? Seems like that would be a popular one, and then all the Garmin Scammers could have their own forum.

I would see them going under parts, so you make a good point. We could also change Handhelds/Accessories to "Avionics/Handhelds/Accessories" since that probably fits together nicely.

Good idea, to classify the classifieds.

I'd suggest broadening the partnership category to include clubs.

Good thought - Partnerships/Clubs

I agree with Nate, splitting up the classifieds is a waste. For the one guy who wants to look just for partnerships there are probably ten others who want to look at all the ads without having to traverse down 10 subforums most of which will have zero current posts in them.

A better idea would be to have a subforum for "sold" listings and relocate the ones no longer active there.

Make a standard template for the partnership ads that has to be used for the first post. Airport identifier and aircraft type should show up in the title of the thread. Partnership shares may stay on the market for a long time, by putting the IDs in the title they are easy to search.

I don't see the point in splitting them up either. If you want to make a section for partnerships that's fine but keep the things for sale together.

I could see adding a section for dealers, i.e. Not individuals selling one item. Then keep that section from showing up on the recent posts list.

Jim

I'm also of the opinion that there is no need to split up the classifieds.

Don't split them up, but allow pics in the post from post 1 in Classifieds only. Then if they are here to spam it will say "Only Classifieds allows pictures with less than x posts" This will drive them to where they want to be anyway. I'm sure many users ignore the classifieds here anyway.

Seems the pseudo-mods (like me) are capable of driving blatant advertisers to the correct forum.

Every internet is sacred
Every internet is great
When an internet gets wasted, God gets quite irate.

[Adapted from the Meaning of Life]

Bit Lives Matter ... save the Bytes! I modify my vote to "why bother with multiple sub-categories".

I've added a "Leave it alone" option, so please vote for that if that's your preference.

I second the idea of splitting it between dealers and individual sellers.

I second the idea of splitting it between dealers and individual sellers.

Is there a real benefit to this, or is it a knee-jerk reaction to a particular dealer that is receiving a lot of attention right now? I suppose I don't see the benefit to that.

Why does it have to be only bits and bytes? Are nibbles not important too?
Because NLM just doesn't have the ring that BLM does? And I still think "Bureau of Land Management" with BLM ...

Here's another question: is there a reason to keep a partnership/club sub-forum separate from aircraft for sale?

I'm thinking there's overlap. If I'm looking for a 172, I might be interested in buying a 172, but if there's a local club or partnership in a 172 that I wasn't aware of, I might want to go that route.

Is there a real benefit to this, or is it a knee-jerk reaction to a particular dealer that is receiving a lot of attention right now? I suppose I don't see the benefit to that.

I wouldn't call it knee-jerk, but I can't deny any influence. My opinion was formed mostly from my experience on Craigslist, but also to a lesser extent from here.

The traffic in Classifieds is so low, I don't see the need to split it at all... people can just put a proper title on their post.

I didn't see that as an option on the poll.
I agree with Nate.

Here's another question: is there a reason to keep a partnership/club sub-forum separate from aircraft for sale?

I'm thinking there's overlap. If I'm looking for a 172, I might be interested in buying a 172, but if there's a local club or partnership in a 172 that I wasn't aware of, I might want to go that route.
I think that is a good idea.

How hard could it be? Just make a separate heading for the clubs and or partnerships, and leave the rest the same. Just a couple of key strokes, done deal. We're pilots, we like reading this stuff. Organized is good! Don't over think it.

I think that clubs/partnerships and aircraft are the ads that should be separated from the rest of the classifides the most. Whether they are broke out into one subgroup or two is not as important to me as just getting them separate from the other ads.

ny
I think that clubs/partnerships and aircraft are the ads that should be separated from the rest of the classifides the most. Whether they are broke out into one subgroup or two is not as important to me as just getting them separate from the other ads.
I agree completely. Too many sub categories gets confusing, but I really think one sub forum for partnerships/clubs/aircraft4sale would be a very useful category.

I am thinking that the people that are not thrilled with the idea are probably people that have no interest in joining or forming a club or partnership, not that there is anything wrong with that.

Having a defined area may encourage more people to post such ads. Right now, there are not many partnership opportunities posted. Highlighting a defined area may create a specific marketplace and attract more such posts.

I don't see a lot of value in breaking up the classifieds, but a dedicated "Partnerships Available" or something along those line with Weilke's suggestion of a standardized template with airport ID. I have never understood why partnerships aren't more popular. My single experience with a partnership made flying amazingly affordable - I had a great plane that was effectively available any time I wanted it at costs well below local rentals and only a $15k upfront investment. The only downside was finding it to begin with and selling my share when I moved away (when I collected my entire original investment).

Here's a thought... do you think you'd really want a co-owner who couldn't find an online ad in the thousands and thousands posted here every day? :)

(Yup. Snark. But seriously... if someone doesn't have enough brain cells to read and scroll through five posts...)

We have a 10 person waiting list to join our club. That queue seems to follow the economy as we had a exit queue waiting list a few years ago.

Has there been any more talk on this topic? I would like to start a conversation to see if I could garner the kind of attention about KOMN (Ormond Beach) that the Punta Gorda discussion has seen.

The MC has agreed that we will add a sub-forum for Aircraft Sales, Clubs, and Partnerships. It will basically be a one-stop sub-forum for buying or selling of airplane or the ability to fly airplanes. Look for this in the Classifieds coming soon...

Back