A Few Class D Tower Com Questions

ProspectivePilotPete

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Pete
I'm a private pilot who only flies into non controlled airports for the most part. Perfectly comfortable in the uncontrolled pattern, all aspects of aircraft control and pertinent rules and regs, talking to Flight Following, flying in route etc.

But put me at a controlled airport and I start to second guess everything I'm saying, just feel like I'm going to make a fool of myself, so I just avoid them whenever possible. It doesn't help that most of my training was done at uncontrolled airports as well. We practiced class D, and I was comfortable for a while, especially having my CFI right there, but after not keeping up with going into controlled airports, I lost my confidence, and now my class D skills.

Well, they switched one of my favorite uncontrolled airports into a controlled airport (KUAO) so it's time to buckle down and get comfortable with Class D. I'm going up with my CFI for a Class D refresher, but I would like to know the answers to these questions that, to be completely honest, I'd be embarrassed to ask my CFI, as I feel like I should know them. Hence the awesome power of the anonymous internet! Anyway, some questions I was thinking up as I thought back on previous experiences and thought through my process.

A big one I don't remember:
-On takeoff, do you stay in the pattern unless otherwise directed? Or, do you continue to climb on runway heading unless told to follow traffic pattern or otherwise directed?

-On departure, if I'm still inside the class D airspace, and the tower tells me to squawk VFR, is that also instructing me to continue my own navigation?

-Once I'm outside class D, do I need to request permission to change frequencies if permission has not already been given?

-After landing, do I need wait to be told which taxiway to take from the runway if not directed to take first available taxiway?
(I know they usually tell you which taxiway, or first available, but I had one time where I taxied most of the way down the 7000' runway before they told me to take an exit. My destination of the FBO on the airport [which I had told them] was at the approach end. It left me wondering if I was allowed/expected to take any exit. I'm guessing they just forgot to say that to me, or had a good reason for having me taxi to the end, but I was asking myself the question of whether I could just turn onto a taxiway after that exchange.)

-Entering class C, must contact approach, or can call tower directly? What happens if you call tower directly? (May have done this one time at PDX not too long after getting my license. Called straight to the tower. It was the slow part of the day, and they didn't say anything negative about it, or correct me, but when reviewing my flight later that day, I remembered I was supposed to call approach first).

Thanks so much for humoring this embarrassed old pilot!

I'm not a controller, but I fly out of a Class D airport (KOLM). Here is my take...

When I check in with ground before leaving parking I tell them what I am planning. Remain in the pattern, depart to the north, whatever. They issue taxi clearance and I taxi to the runway, stopping at the appropriate place to do my run-up on the way. While holding short I call the tower, let them know where I am and what I want to do (again). They clear me to do whatever and away I go. If leaving the pattern, I just do what I was cleared to do. Very simple.

If I'm flying VFR I likely was already squawking 1200 to begin with. The tower is very unlikely to tell me to squawk VFR. And, if they do, that's all it means.

Once clear of the Class D you do not need to ask to change frequencies. Just do it. I used to tell the tower that I was clear of the Class D and they would tell me "frequency change approved", but that isn't necessary.

After landing I stay on the runway until they tell me where to exit. Most of the time that happens in plenty of time before the next exit, but sometimes I have to wake them up on the radio. This is particularly important if that convenient looking exit is a crossing runway. DO NOT turn onto another runway without clearance. Here at KOLM that is a common exit when landing as the cross runway (8/26) is a convenient distance down 17 or 35. Just don't take it unless the tower says you may.

Class C - contact approach. Check the A/FD for more details relating to the airport in question. Typically my reason to talking to SEA approach is to get flight following if I'm flying VFR, or when told to do so by KOLM tower when departing IFR or SEA Center when coming back into the area IFR (or on flight following).

Don't feel bad. You're NOT the only old pilot around here and it's always good to ask. Safe flying to you!

Last edited:
-On takeoff, do you stay in the pattern unless otherwise directed? Or, do you continue to climb on runway heading unless told to follow traffic pattern or otherwise directed?

Normally, at some point you tell them what you want to do or where you're going. They give you directions, you repeat them and then follow them.

-On departure, if I'm still inside the class D airspace, and the tower tells me to squawk VFR, is that also instructing me to continue my own navigation?
Most deltas don't have radar to begin with. You'll squawk VFR without prompt if VFR your are.

-Once I'm outside class D, do I need to request permission to change frequencies if permission has not already been given?

Nope. Once you're outside their airspace you're done with them unless otherwise advised.

-After landing, do I need wait to be told which taxiway to take from the runway if not directed to take first available taxiway?

Yes, though you can ask for a departure taxiway. Worst they can do is say no.

-Entering class C, must contact approach, or can call tower directly?

Charlies will have approach control, frequencies for which should be listed on your sectional chart.

What happens if you call tower directly? (May have done this one time at PDX not too long after getting my license. Called straight to the tower. It was the slow part of the day, and they didn't say anything negative about it, or correct me, but when reviewing my flight later that day, I remembered I was supposed to call approach first).

You might wind up with some aggrieved approach controllers. Really, just call approach. You're doing them a favor when you do.

We've all even there. Remember, each radio call should start with who you are, where you are, and what you want. Do that concisely and you won't have many problems.

I agree with most of what Ghery said.

I do ask for a frequency change when clear of the class D, "Big City Tower, N855WH, request frequency change." This has the benefit of last minute traffic notifications... "N855WH, I show an aircraft at your 2 o'clock, 3 miles, 2,500 indicated, opposite direction. Frequency change approved."

I disagree on the "when to exit the runway". Certainly do NOT exit onto a crossing runway unless told to do so, and DO exit onto a specific taxiway if told to do so and you can safely do so (if not, tell them!), but otherwise the AIM directs you to take the first available taxiway, taxi clear and call ground.

interesting, although tower will 'usually' say 'exit at twy blah' shortly after landing, I typically do not wait for them to tell me. I'm talking normal twy's, not cross rwys though.

Don't feel bad. You're the only old pilot around here and it's always good to ask. Safe flying to you!

Ouch, that was a little harsh.... Just givin' ya a hard time since I believe you meant to say "You're NOT the only....." :p:)

To the OP, look for the white box outlined in Magenta just outside the Class C ring on the sectional. It'll have the frequency and facility name to contact and usually the distance from the airport to call up by. Don't forget to pick-up the current ATIS before calling, they will ask if you have it if you forget.

Would recommend listening to LiveATC.net to help get you back in the flow for communication with ATC. I listen to it at work just because I'm an aviation junkie...

Cheers,
Brian

My experience with D locally:

- on takeoff - before takeoff you should already have told either tower or ground your intended direction of departure. You'll then get something like "Cessna 123 cleared for takeoff R45, left turnout approved" or "southwest departure approved". If you don't let them know your intentions, tower should ask so they'll know how to fit you into traffic.

- on departure - if tower tells you to "squawk VFR", it's generally because you aren't already doing it. Double-check that your transponder is set to xmit, and that you aren't using a previously set squawk code. That's a problem around here at one of my local airports, it's inside the Mode-C veil and transponders are required. Tower figures out a way to remind you without violating you. I once got a "Cessna xxx, I'm having trouble reading your xponder, can you cycle it for me?" And once I realized it was still set on STDBY, instead of ALT, and slapped my forehead, he came back with "It's working now."

- changing freq outside D - Once you are outside their airspace it doesn't hurt to ask (like Troy mentioned above). A couple of the D airports I use always approve freq change just before I leave, but another D airport doesn't.

- after landing - the towers around here recognize tail numbers because so many are rentals, they know where you are going and tell you which exit to take as you are still rolling. For others, they normally ask where they want to go and then give directions just after touchdown.

--

edit: Oh, yeah, and make sure to get the ATIS before contacting ground or tower the first time (either inbound or outbound). It's easy to forget.

Ouch, that was a little harsh.... Just givin' ya a hard time since I believe you meant to say "You're NOT the only....." :p:)

To the OP, look for the white box outlined in Magenta just outside the Class C ring on the sectional. It'll have the frequency and facility name to contact and usually the distance from the airport to call up by. Don't forget to pick-up the current ATIS before calling, they will ask if you have it if you forget.

Would recommend listening to LiveATC.net to help get you back in the flow for communication with ATC. I listen to it at work just because I'm an aviation junkie...

Cheers,
Brian

You are correct. That key word was missing in my reply, and was intended to be there. Thanks for catching that and making the correction. I'll go back and edit the post. :)

Thank you all so much for the informative and timely replies.

The first question was based on my last class d experience (early last year.). I did communicate where I wanted to go (south east departure) was cleared for takeoff on 34, but to my recollection no other instructions were given with my takeoff clearance. I was just climbing on runway heading til I was clear of their airspace, then, having not communicated with them in a while (it was a slow day and they were only talking to one or maybe two other aircraft if I recall correctly) I called up and requested freq change after I passed out of the class d and then skirted around the edge and back out to the south east. With little other traffic, I thought they'd give me a right crosswind departure. Anyway, it is possible I missed something, but again, it was a quiet day, I'm sure I didn't miss my call sign, so if I did miss something it was in my initial clearance and nobody ever corrected me, but it is possible due to my lack of confidence talking to atc.

Well, this put several of my questions to rest, and I can honestly say I feel a little more confident already. I'm actually looking forward to my flight with my cfi next week! Thanks all!

You would normally tell ground your intentions (e.g. direction of flight, stay in traffic pattern, etc) when you request taxi. Tower will give you a takeoff clearance like:
"Cessna 12345, make left/right closed traffic, runway XX, cleared for takeoff."
"Cessna 12345, fly runway heading, runway XX, cleared for takeoff."
"Cessna 12345, fly heading XXX, runway XX, cleared for takeoff."
"Cessna 12345, left/right on course approved, runway XX, cleared for takeoff."
"Cessna 12345, left/right crosswind/downwind departure approved, runway XX, cleared for takeoff."

If it is not clear what to do, I would either ask before takeoff, or takeoff and fly runway heading until instructed otherwise, or make a request after takeoff.

Resuming own nav - generally you are on your own navigation unless someone tells you you're not (e.g. "Fly heading 360, vectors for ____."). If you're not, "resume own nav" would come before or simultaneously with "Squawk VFR".

Asking for a frequency change from a Tower is not required after you exit the Class D. At some airports, the controller doesn't care, at others, the controller will usually say "frequency change approved." If you are receiving radar service from an Approach/Departure or Center, you should ask.

Taxiways after landing - if the tower forgets to say anything, generally I would slow to a very slow taxi speed and begin exiting on my choice of taxiway. Tower should say something by then, if not, tell them you're exiting at e.g. Alpha and request a frequency change to ground.

Class C airport - Contact approach first, like it says on the chart.

Last edited:
Taxiways after landing - if the tower forgets to say anything, generally I would slow to a very slow taxi speed and begin exiting on my choice of taxiway. Tower should say something by then, if not, tell them you're exiting at e.g. Alpha and request a frequency change to ground.
No, exit the runway at the first safe taxiway (and not a crossing runway) and if not already given other instructions, stop when clear and contact ground. Dawdling on the runway hoping the controller to tell you to do something that you should already be doing is not a good idea.

I'm a private pilot who only flies into non controlled airports for the most part. Perfectly comfortable in the uncontrolled pattern, all aspects of aircraft control and pertinent rules and regs, talking to Flight Following, flying in route etc.

But put me at a controlled airport and I start to second guess everything I'm saying, just feel like I'm going to make a fool of myself, so I just avoid them whenever possible. It doesn't help that most of my training was done at uncontrolled airports as well. We practiced class D, and I was comfortable for a while, especially having my CFI right there, but after not keeping up with going into controlled airports, I lost my confidence, and now my class D skills.

Well, they switched one of my favorite uncontrolled airports into a controlled airport (KUAO) so it's time to buckle down and get comfortable with Class D. I'm going up with my CFI for a Class D refresher, but I would like to know the answers to these questions that, to be completely honest, I'd be embarrassed to ask my CFI, as I feel like I should know them. Hence the awesome power of the anonymous internet! Anyway, some questions I was thinking up as I thought back on previous experiences and thought through my process.

(I know they usually tell you which taxiway, or first available, but I had one time where I taxied most of the way down the 7000' runway before they told me to take an exit. My destination of the FBO on the airport [which I had told them] was at the approach end. It left me wondering if I was allowed/expected to take any exit. I'm guessing they just forgot to say that to me, or had a good reason for having me taxi to the end, but I was asking myself the question of whether I could just turn onto a taxiway after that exchange.)

-Entering class C, must contact approach, or can call tower directly? What happens if you call tower directly? (May have done this one time at PDX not too long after getting my license. Called straight to the tower. It was the slow part of the day, and they didn't say anything negative about it, or correct me, but when reviewing my flight later that day, I remembered I was supposed to call approach first).

AIM 4-3-2(b)...no permission required.

I do ask for a frequency change when clear of the class D, "Big City Tower, N855WH, request frequency change." This has the benefit of last minute traffic notifications... "N855WH, I show an aircraft at your 2 o'clock, 3 miles, 2,500 indicated, opposite direction. Frequency change approved."

I disagree on the "when to exit the runway". Certainly do NOT exit onto a crossing runway unless told to do so, and DO exit onto a specific taxiway if told to do so and you can safely do so (if not, tell them!), but otherwise the AIM directs you to take the first available taxiway, taxi clear and call ground.

Troy, if a controller has incoming traffic that might become a factor, s/he will say something like "Stay with me..." before you ever get to the Class D boundary. Do it the AIM way (4-3-2b)...don't ask for permission.

Bob Gardner

interesting, although tower will 'usually' say 'exit at twy blah' shortly after landing, I typically do not wait for them to tell me. I'm talking normal twy's, not cross rwys though.

If you land short you can get in the way of departing ground traffic. If they haven't told me by the time 'my' exit, I'll ask. Just did this the other day they had me keep going to the cross rw to exit.

Tower seems easier to me, I don't even have to determine how to enter the pattern. Just follow the directions and look for traffic in case they screw up.

Call a nearby Class D tower, tell them you are a private pilot with limited Class D experience, and that you would like to visit and ask some questions. They will no doubt welcome the visit, be happy to schedule it at your convenience, and you will learn a lot.

POA is a great place to learn, especially about the unwritten and arcane aspects of flying and ATC, but for this type of question I strongly encourage you to just pick up the phone. I have spent time in Class D towers, Class B towers, TRACONS, and ARTCCs. These have been the best learning experiences in my flying career. Sometimes this has been in connection with scheduled tours (Center, Class B tower) and sometimes I have visited alone. 100% percent of the the time the ATC folks bent over backwards to be helpful and gave generously of their time to answer my questions in depth.

This.

No, exit the runway at the first safe taxiway (and not a crossing runway) and if not already given other instructions, stop when clear and contact ground. Dawdling on the runway hoping the controller to tell you to do something that you should already be doing is not a good idea.

I perhaps exaggerated. What I really meant was I take enough time to make it obvious what I'm about to do--and therefore give the controller a chance to "correct" me if he doesn't want me to do that. It's not dawdling but it's not a right turn Clyde either.

Last edited:
The controller is probably not looking. He's looking for the next aircraft on final. He's assuming you're going to get off the runway as you are supposed to and he is cursing under his breath if he turns back to the runway and finds you still there. Similar cursing occurs when they clear you for takeoff and you spend a protracted time on the threshold before rolling.

I doubt they would ever expect you to taxi the length of the runway if there was a taxiway available and you needed to go back toward the arrival end of the runway. I do sometimes get told to taxi to the end, but that is when it's the direction I need to go anyway, and they don't have anybody coming in behind me.

Our class-D does not have radar, and often they will ask me to report leaving the class delta. When I do, they always issue a frequency change approved. Other times they don't ask, and neither do I. I think it depends what other aircraft are in the area. When coming into the area, they will often ask for position updates if they have other planes they are handling, or ask me to report xx miles out or entering whatever leg they told me to enter. That's when they usually clear me to land or sequence me with other aircraft.

I much prefer flying from a class delta than an uncontrolled field. When I go to a local uncontrolled field for cheaper fuel, there are often people using non-standard traffic patterns on two runways shaped like a V, and it seems very dangerous!

Nice thing about a delta is if you're staying in the pattern you get to make one call instead of three.

Nice thing about a delta is if you're staying in the pattern you get to make one call instead of three.
Yea, and if the tower is on the ball, they call you by midfield downwind and you just confirm and keep trucking...

I much prefer flying from a class delta than an uncontrolled field. When I go to a local uncontrolled field for cheaper fuel, there are often people using non-standard traffic patterns on two runways shaped like a V, and it seems very dangerous!
I much prefer flying from either ;)

Joking aside, having learned how to fly and got my instrument rating at a nontowered airport and then spent 20 years at one of the busiest Class Ds in the country, I'm equally comfortable at both.

You would normally tell ground your intentions (e.g. direction of flight, stay in traffic pattern, etc) when you request taxi...

Some airports included a notice on the ATIS to tell ground control your direction of flight when you call for your taxi clearance. If they don't, and if the ground controller doesn't ask for that information, then I was taught to tell the tower controller when I tell them I'm ready for takeoff.

I much prefer flying from either ;)

Joking aside, having learned how to fly and got my instrument rating at a nontowered airport and then spent 20 years at one of the busiest Class Ds in the country, I'm equally comfortable at both.

Visualize RW 1-19 and 5-23 with the V at 19 and 23. The AFD calls for RIGHT traffic on both and you have people using the best wind RW 23 with the correct traffic pattern (right) and skydiving planes using 19 from a left base when it supposed to be right traffic as well. With that scenario you have planes on base that are almost head on, and crossing each other's final! Would you still be comfortable there? The airport is KZPH if you want to look it up. I'm fairly certain a tower controller would never allow that to be happening.

Visualize RW 1-19 and 5-23 with the V at 19 and 23. The AFD calls for RIGHT traffic on both and you have people using the best wind RW 23 with the correct traffic pattern (right) and skydiving planes using 19 from a left base when it supposed to be right traffic as well. With that scenario you have planes on base that are almost head on, and crossing each other's final! Would you still be comfortable there? The airport is KZPH if you want to look it up. I'm fairly certain a tower controller would never allow that to be happening.
No need to visualize. I've been into KZPH. Great airport. The opposite traffic pattern for 01/19 for skydive ops is noted in the AFD.

With a V runway configuration there are bound to be traffic issues no matter what the traffic pattern rules. Pattern for one runway intersecting or otherwise interfering with the pattern for another is true for many airports with multiple runways. Just the way it is. Some pilots choose to avoid that.

OTOH, I happily flew out of a Class D for 20 years that some transient pilots complained about as too busy with rapid-fire communication requirements. I've known many pilots who wouldn't think of flying into a Class C or B, and some that even avoid Class D because they feel uncomfortable with communications. I don't begrudge anyone their preferences. I have them too. Mine just aren't based on the gross categories of "towered" and "nontowered".

Would I practice touch and goes at ZPH on a beautiful Saturday afternoon when everyone is up there? No. Just as I wouldn't at a nice single runway airport in my neck of the woods that hosts skydive ops and glider and helicopter training. Would I fly in, circle outside to avoid "jumpers away", then land, grab a car rental and visit my friends even though there is no tower? Sure.

We've got some airports where people depart the pattern (or park it) if they hear another airplane.

Some airports included a notice on the ATIS to tell ground control your direction of flight when you call for your taxi clearance. If they don't, and if the ground controller doesn't ask for that information, then I was taught to tell the tower controller when I tell them I'm ready for takeoff.

I always tell both the direction of flight if there's a separate ground controller. It's quick and can't hurt, I figure.

Unless they ask for it earlier (either on ATIS or explicitly), I usually tell the tower controller when I'm ready to takeoff. That way he knows which way I'm going to turn.

>> When I check in with ground before leaving parking I tell them what I am planning...

At FFZ I taxi from the hanger to one of many pink numbered dots located on the various taxi ways and then contact ground, used to do it from the hanger but they try and encourage you to use the numbered pink dots.

But put me at a controlled airport and I start to second guess everything I'm saying, just feel like I'm going to make a fool of myself, so I just avoid them whenever possible.
I suggest reviewing the source documents that define and explain operations at airports with operating control towers.

Start with the regulations (not that many, really)... 14 CFR 91.126 through 91.131. I include 91.126 and .127 because those paragraphs are incorporated by reference into the following regulations.

Next, the AIM. Numerous paragraphs in Chapter 4, Sections 1, 2, & 3. You can skip the paragraphs talking about IFR operations.

Lastly, the Pilot/Controller Glossary (P/CG). If what you have to say is defined in the P/CG then use the approved phraseology. The P/CG also includes the definitions of the phraseology that the tower controller will use.

That sounds like a lot but it really isn't. It won't take you long to go through it and I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it. You'll probably even find an item or two that you can teach your CFI.

Strongly suggest a tower visit. You'll learn a lot and the controllers enjoy explaining their end of the deal. I did when I was a controller but then I was a CFI at the same time too.

I suggest reviewing the source documents that define and explain operations at airports with operating control towers.

Start with the regulations (not that many, really)... 14 CFR 91.126 through 91.131. I include 91.126 and .127 because those paragraphs are incorporated by reference into the following regulations.

Next, the AIM. Numerous paragraphs in Chapter 4, Sections 1, 2, & 3. You can skip the paragraphs talking about IFR operations.

Lastly, the Pilot/Controller Glossary (P/CG). If what you have to say is defined in the P/CG then use the approved phraseology. The P/CG also includes the definitions of the phraseology that the tower controller will use.

That sounds like a lot but it really isn't. It won't take you long to go through it and I'm sure you'll get a lot out of it. You'll probably even find an item or two that you can teach your CFI.
I suspect knowing the rules and AIM guidance is not the issue. It's a lack of confidence one will do OK mixed with some natural fear of the unknown. Sometimes reading isn't sufficient. Courses like Bob Gardner's "Say Again!" or even some YouTube videos on the subject (there are plenty) help top demystify it. Ultimately, though, it's about doing, not reading. What's really needed is a couple of trips in with someone who is comfortable with it.

As a controller at a Class D airport, I'll throw in my $0.02

1) When you call for taxi, you should advise the ground controller what direction you intend on flying. This allows the local controller (Tower) time to plan. You should also inform the tower controller before he issues you a takeoff clearance. Normally, he will tell you "on course approved" but if you are flying in a direction that will conflict with traffic, he may tell you to "fly runway heading, I'll call the turn."

2) Telling you to squawk VFR is not the same as continuing your own navigation. Many Class D airports are not allowed to issue a squawk code. You may fly in on one and forget to reset it. When you take off, you are still on the same code that you flew in with. Sometimes, it is the code for an aircraft on an IFR flight plan. I've seen it where a Cessna takes off, and squawks an airline call sign. This is just our way of clearing up the clutter on our radar scope and the scope at the TRACON.

3) We are not required approve a frequency change. Once you leave the Delta, you are free to change to whichever frequency you like, and you don't have to tell us. We do like to know, and if we didn't say it, by all means ask, but it is not required, merely a courtesy.

4) Once you land, unless we tell you otherwise, we expect you to take the closest suitable taxiway to exit the runway. If you are a local aircraft and we know where you park, we will usually let you roll out to your parking spot if we have no one behind you. This may be why the tower told you to exit so far down. Again, you can always ask if you can land long to save yourself some taxi time.

5) I have worked a Class C airport. Trust me, it is easier for both the pilot and the tower if you call approach directly. If they don't need to speak with you, they can always switch you to tower. Approach gets a little ****y if a pilot skips tower when they should be talking to them.

As a controller, I would much rather a pilot, regardless of level of experience, ask questions from those who know and can guide them rather than you just assuming things. I encourage anyone to keep asking questions. At most Class D airports, and other small facilities, just ask the controller. We are more than happy to help. As others have said, set up a tour of your local tower to see things from our side. We frequently have flight students at the tower I work in. One student was up last week and spent an hour asking us all sorts of questions. Many airports will conduct periodic pilot outreach meetings to allow the users to ask questions about ATC procedures and expectations. I encourage you to attend one if it is being offered locally.

Last edited:
I know if I haven't flown for a while, I can listen to LiveATC for my local airport or just drive up, park the car, relax and listen to the scanner for a while. My local also has a lot of flight school activity so it's always interesting to listen to tower handle the volume , particularly when there are similar call signs in the pattern.

Troy, if a controller has incoming traffic that might become a factor, s/he will say something like "Stay with me..." before you ever get to the Class D boundary. Do it the AIM way (4-3-2b)...don't ask for permission.

Bob Gardner

Thanks! I stand corrected:

AIM 4.3.2(b) said:
In the interest of reducing tower frequency congestion, pilots are reminded that it is not necessary to request permission to leave the tower frequency once outside of Class B, Class C, and Class D surface areas.

AIM reference, section 4-3-20:

http://www.faraim.org/aim/aim-4-03-14-207.html

Sorry for the slight thread hijack, but I have a question that probably fits here. I'm from Europe and there has mainly been flying out of an uncontrolled field with AFIS, so tower communications are not yet that natural for me.

So, I was approaching Santa Monica KSMO from Van Nuys KVNY and was handed over by Van Nuys Tower to Santa Monica Tower just over the mountains. It means that I was approaching KSMO rwy 21 (with a left-hand pattern) from roughly the right base direction. KSMO tower told me to make left base, rwy 21, which would have been a possible, but bit awkward manouver to me. I therefore asked the tower to confirm that she wanted me left base rwy 21, to which question she answered with right base, rwy 21 and shortly after issued a landing clearance. I landed accordingly, without any issues. There was no traffic established in the pattern. What do you thing, would the controller initially really liked me to fly to the other side of the aiport and join base from there? Were my actions correct? Had she confirmed the left base, where would it have been the best to cross the runway (extended centerline)?

I therefore asked the tower to confirm that she wanted me left base rwy 21, to which question she answered with right base, rwy 21 and shortly after issued a landing clearance. I landed accordingly, without any issues. There was no traffic established in the pattern. What do you thing, would the controller initially really liked me to fly to the other side of the aiport and join base from there? Were my actions correct? Had she confirmed the left base, where would it have been the best to cross the runway (extended centerline)?

You did the right thing. The controller probably just made a mistake.

My guess is that initially what she wanted you to do, was enter the left traffic pattern for 21; the published pattern and report base. Then she realized that she had no other traffic, it was easier for you to make a right base especially if you were a full stop, and a right base didn't violate any noise abatement procedure. In other words, I don't think the controller made a mistake, I think that she allowed you to fly a non-standard pattern in order to make things easier for the both of you.

My guess is that initially what she wanted you to do, was enter the left traffic pattern for 21; the published pattern and report base.
There is no "published pattern" at a tower-controlled airport.

14 CFR 91.129 -- Operations in Class D airspace.
(f) Approaches. Except when conducting a circling approach under Part 97 of this chapter or unless otherwise required by ATC, each pilot must--
(1) Circle the airport to the left, if operating an airplane; or

Sounds like a miscommunication. Unless the airport has some local restrictions, such as noise abatement, airspace, or terrain, it would be unusual for a tower to have an airplane cross over the field to fly the opposite downwind or base.

Back