3934V

So what do you want for her when you're done? :)

A 12 hour day and 4 gallons of stripper.

Attachments

• DSCN3556.JPG
    DSCN3556.JPG
    212.8 KB · Views: 92
  • DSCN3557.JPG
    DSCN3557.JPG
    214.5 KB · Views: 98
  • DSCN3555.JPG
    DSCN3555.JPG
    217.7 KB · Views: 94
Glad to see there is paint stripper that actually still works...:yes:

Glad to see there is paint stripper that actually still works...:yes:

Really Works???

Why do you think it took 12 hours and 4 gallons of the yucky stuff?

Today the inside ….

So, Tom, what is your preferred stripper?

Should I keep it?
or
Move the Directional Gyro up to that hole, pull the Narco 11A and put the transponder in the narco 11A's hole and buy a 3.125" instrument hole radio to go into the DG's hole?

Take your pick - do you want your plane to be a Period Piece or Updated? Personally, I don't mind old so long as it works! Like others have said, it is an electric compass. I have one in my plane - has been there for over 30 years and has given no trouble. I prefer it to the whiskey compass. The electric compass was originally powered by a rotary inverter (like a dynamotor, but AC output). Those have been replaced by solid state inverters - with which the compass seems to last forever.

Dave

Take your pick - do you want your plane to be a Period Piece or Updated? Personally, I don't mind old so long as it works! Like others have said, it is an electric compass. I have one in my plane - has been there for over 30 years and has given no trouble. I prefer it to the whiskey compass. The electric compass was originally powered by a rotary inverter (like a dynamotor, but AC output). Those have been replaced by solid state inverters - with which the compass seems to last forever.

Dave
I built a new instrument panel without the electric compass

Attachments

• DSCN3535.JPG
    DSCN3535.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3545.JPG
    DSCN3545.JPG
    216.3 KB · Views: 68
  • DSCN3546.JPG
    DSCN3546.JPG
    219.7 KB · Views: 70
So, Tom, what is your preferred stripper?

The old Navy Epoxy stripper that looked like brown slime, one coat and every thing is off in about 10 minutes.

The EPA friendly stuff sure isn't my favorite at 25 bucks per gallon and it takes 4 coats and an hour to clean.

Next is how to get the old brown glue off the firewall and boot cowl.

Attachments

• DSCN3550.JPG
    DSCN3550.JPG
    221.1 KB · Views: 80
  • DSCN3551.JPG
    DSCN3551.JPG
    218.2 KB · Views: 75
New wind shield in place

Attachments

• 130324_0003.jpg
    130324_0003.jpg
    131.3 KB · Views: 92
  • 130324_0001.jpg
    130324_0001.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 84
I just love watching an artist at work...

Hi Tom,

Regarding the windshield, did you use screws/bolts on the lower edge, top of the cowling area, or rivets?

And is this standard thickness or the thicker model?

Thanks.

Leo

Hi Tom,

Regarding the windshield, did you use screws/bolts on the lower edge, top of the cowling area, or rivets?

And is this standard thickness or the thicker model?

Thanks.

Leo
The boot cowl had been modified prior to this replacement, by using anchor nuts and screws, So I put it back with AN526C-632R8 crews.

it is a 1/4" green tint.

Rebuilt tail wheel assembly, and the back windows are clecoed in

Attachments

• DSCN3566.JPG
    DSCN3566.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCN3568.JPG
    DSCN3568.JPG
    219.1 KB · Views: 67
  • DSCN3567.JPG
    DSCN3567.JPG
    214.1 KB · Views: 63
How to make a fire wall pad.

Attachments

• DSCN3569.JPG
    DSCN3569.JPG
    217.4 KB · Views: 61
  • DSCN3594.JPG
    DSCN3594.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 60
  • DSCN3595.JPG
    DSCN3595.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCN3596.jpg
    DSCN3596.jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 53
  • DSCN3597.JPG
    DSCN3597.JPG
    219.8 KB · Views: 60
BTW, for your sake, I hope you didn't pay alot for the 170 if you have $25k in it and are trying to sell it. The market for '48s has not gotten better in the past couple years.

This one is for me, total investment = $22,300. That includes the engine overhaul, with the alternator up grade, new TCM Bendix mags, new windows, new paint, instruments overhauls, new interior, strobes upgrade, all the stripper, paint and wing covers.

The little **** adds up pretty quick. like the two bolts that hold the landing gear legs are $50.00 each. two mags with harness $2700. alternator $1200.

But in the next few years I'll bet I don't spend 500 on maintenance costs. What's that worth?

How much does an exhaust system cost?

This one is for me, total investment = $22,300. That includes the engine overhaul, with the alternator up grade, new TCM Bendix mags, new windows, new paint, instruments overhauls, new interior, strobes upgrade, all the stripper, paint and wing covers.

The little **** adds up pretty quick. like the two bolts that hold the landing gear legs are $50.00 each. two mags with harness $2700. alternator $1200.

But in the next few years I'll bet I don't spend 500 on maintenance costs. What's that worth?

What did you pay to purchase the airplane, or was that included in the $22,300?

What did you pay to purchase the airplane, or was that included in the $22,300?

what does total investment mean to you?

$5k + 4k for the new parts that had already been bought.

Total investment means everything if you are looking to make a profit, which based on your other posts appears to be your motivation in pursuing this project.

If you were doing it all to make a nice plane for yourself, it really doesn't matter much.

$5k + 4k for the new parts that had already been bought.

Smart ass answers like that is what makes me have very little faith in any of your posts.... IMHO...

Smart ass answers like that is what makes me have very little faith in any of your posts.... IMHO...

Eye of the beholder - that did not seem smart-ass to me. YMMV.

Total investment means everything if you are looking to make a profit, which based on your other posts appears to be your motivation in pursuing this project.

If you were doing it all to make a nice plane for yourself, it really doesn't matter much.

To me, total investment is all the money I've spent, we have two different views, that is why I asked.

Some others can't comprehend the idea of simple questions, they must read with the animosity showing.

Pot calling the kettle black............

pretty simple question, I thought you would even understand it, guess not.

Like all threads that involve the three all end in a pizzing contest.

Last edited:
Perhaps Tom doesn't count the purchase price of the plane because he bought it with the settlement from the Fairchild?
What he paid for the plane is none of my business. Maybe he feels the same way.

To me, total investment is all the money I've spent, we have two different views, that is why I asked.

Some others can't comprehend the idea of simple questions, they must read with the animosity showing.

So, in another thread I asked Tom to show a copy of the log books that detailed the damage to the plane he crashed on landing.... His comment was "you don't log damage , you log repairs".....

What if........................................

Someone bought a plane that was submerged in saltwater and there is no FAA reporting of that incident.... This "someone bought that plane at a real cheap price, took it apart and tried to flush all the salt out of the lap joints and everywhere else that corrosive stuff seeped into.... He then sells it to a unsuspecting buyer , only to have that plane rot over the next few years......

Since according to Tom you "don't log damage".. How would anyone know it was sunk in salt water?:dunno::dunno::dunno::confused:

If it's not in the logs it didn't happen. Buyer has the opportunity to inspect. Read the big "all caps" disclaimer paragraph in the purchase contract. Seller is liable for willful misrepresentation and failure to disclose but the disclosure language basically says you're on your own although it's more difficult for owner-sellers to hide behind. It's also one of the reasons that many ads are placed by "friend of owner" whose answer in many cases can be "gee, I don't know but he's never mentioned it" when asked about use of the airplane for reef research.

Have you noticed that most broker ads include the phrase "No known (emphasis added) damage history" and contain a disclaimer at the end stating that the information provided is believed (by the broker) to be correct, but is not guaranteed and the buyer is entitled to inspect and verify?

So, in another thread I asked Tom to show a copy of the log books that detailed the damage to the plane he crashed on landing.... His comment was "you don't log damage , you log repairs".....

Someone bought a plane that was submerged in saltwater and there is no FAA reporting of that incident.... This "someone bought that plane at a real cheap price, took it apart and tried to flush all the salt out of the lap joints and everywhere else that corrosive stuff seeped into.... He then sells it to a unsuspecting buyer , only to have that plane rot over the next few years......

Since according to Tom you "don't log damage".. How would anyone know it was sunk in salt water?:dunno::dunno::dunno::confused:

Last edited:

Then buyer is dumb and the seller a crook, but the lack of logging was legal and correct. The logs are not legally referred as logs, they are maintenance records. They are to be used to record maintenance, the ground, or in your example sea, is not capable of performing maintenance.

Now if someone had trailered Tom's Fairchild to me for an annual right after the boo boo, then there would be a paper trail, but the damage still would not be found in the logs.

When we were looking at the Cherokee 180 for purchase, I was scrutinizing the logs.
And came accross an entry dated some time in 1964; removed airplane from river, trailered to airport... :eek: (turn page) Removed floats, installed landing gear. :whew:
that explanes the seaplane gromets.

Damage is not going to be found in the aircraft logs, but repairs should be.

Damage may be found in the NTSB report, if they were involved.
Case of the vibrating 150 comes to mind. Nothing in the logs about any repairs, other than a top overhaul about 200 hours ago. No mention of what happened about 80 hours ago. when it went in for annual inspection, and was "undressed" I found a bashed oil bag, and a wrinkle in the firewall. Hmmm, couple that with the repaired (not logged) prop. I see a prop strike some time in it's past. Looked at the NTSB database, and lo and behold, not one, but two, off airport landings resulting in "extensive damage". within the past 80 hours of tach time.

The interior is in

Attachments

• 20131114_133924.jpg
    20131114_133924.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 103
  • 20131114_134026.jpg
    20131114_134026.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 110
Back