3934V

Tom-D

Taxi to Parking
Display Name

Display name:
Tom-D
It's a start, the first batch of parts stripped.

Attachments

• DSCN3295.JPG
    DSCN3295.JPG
    213.5 KB · Views: 357
Any one know what this is ?

How is it used?

Attachments

• DSCN3296.JPG
    DSCN3296.JPG
    216.5 KB · Views: 425
  • DSCN3299.JPG
    DSCN3299.JPG
    211.9 KB · Views: 322
Any one know what this is ?

How is it used?

It appears to be a dual ADF indicator, and should be used with two ADF receivers. Used for cross-bearings and, in some places, for approaches to runways with two NDBs in line with the runway (very popular means of approach in Russia).

Has the plane got an ADF? Surely not two, but perhaps someone got a deal on the indicator.

---

Similar to, but older than, this: http://www.bennettavionics.com/ki228.html

Last edited:
No. It is an electric compass.

You set the direction you want to go with the knob and try to keep the needle in the center.

They are WWII surplus and the only ones I've seen are like Tom's, about to be removed.

Last edited:
It appears to be a dual ADF indicator, and should be used with two ADF receivers. Used for cross-bearings and, in some places, for approaches to runways with two NDBs in line with the runway (very popular means of approach in Russia).

Has the plane got an ADF? Surely not two, but perhaps someone got a deal on the indicator.

---

Similar to, but older than, this: http://www.bennettavionics.com/ki228.html

Actually, what it looks like to ME is a dual RMI. Points to the VOR station just like pointing to an NDB.

Or one each? And electric compass sounds good, too, for the compass rose.

3934V has no ADF installed.

Attachments

• DSCN3300.JPG
    DSCN3300.JPG
    225.4 KB · Views: 208
No. It is an electric compass.

Now I see that I completely overlooked the sensor in the fuselage.

I know less than nothing about "electric compasses," but presume someone here can tell us more.

Should I keep it?
or
Move the Directional Gyro up to that hole, pull the Narco 11A and put the transponder in the narco 11A's hole and buy a 3.125" instrument hole radio to go into the DG's hole?

Attachments

• DSCN3273.JPG
    DSCN3273.JPG
    212.1 KB · Views: 182
Last edited:
It is a compass only. It has no ADF or VOR function. In fact, it was made before ADF or VOR.

No. You should not keep it. It should go in the same pile as that WWII horizon.

What I find amazing is the great condition it is in, considering it is 60 years old....:yes:

Actually, what it looks like to ME is a dual RMI. Points to the VOR station just like pointing to an NDB.

Or one each? And electric compass sounds good, too, for the compass rose.

Nope, not enough knobs, it is the electronic compass, I pulled one out of a Navion before.

Toss the DG as well.

There, I saved you about 50 pounds!!

I know this is going to be a VFR only plane but a DG would be nice to have if ever flying into a towered airport.

Last edited:
Should I keep it?
or
Move the Directional Gyro up to that hole, pull the Narco 11A and put the transponder in the narco 11A's hole and buy a 3.125" instrument hole radio to go into the DG's hole?

I am with whoever said ditch this unit AND the DG. LOL

I know this is going to be a VFR only plane but a DG would be nice to have if ever flying into a towered airport.

Yeah, but I think he means to replace with a modern gyro which will also be considerably lighter.

Tom,

Does the AI still work?

If it does and you are looking to get rid of it, I may be interested.

What knobs do you need for an RMI? Or ADF needles for that matter?

The RMI I used had two radio selector knobs at the bottom for VOR 1&2 and ADF 1&2, I think it was a Rockwell unit in the Jetstream but not sure.

This unit has no Radio input, how can it be an RMI?

What I think is cool about old instruments and radios like these - at one time they were the standard. Not necessarily top of the line at the time, but the workhorses of the business. Now we don't even know what some of them are anymore!

Here's a panel of a 1951 C-170A, photo taken when the airplane was only 15 years old. It has a similar instrument, with only the word "Direction" on the face. Note the Narco Superhomer nav/com with analog receiver and ten (count 'em) transmitting channels.

Flying-60s-091213-002.jpg

You gonna just leave it in place then?

for now, we got other things that take a higher priority. It will fly like that, but it won't until I get the engine up grade completed.

Here's a panel of a 1951 C-170A, photo taken when the airplane was only 15 years old. It has a similar instrument, with only the word "Direction" on the face. Note the Narco Superhomer nav/com with analog receiver and ten (count 'em) transmitting channels.

Flying-60s-091213-002.jpg

Thanks for reminding me. We have dinner company at 5. I need to grind some coffee!

Making progress.

Attachments

• DSCN3335.JPG
    DSCN3335.JPG
    218.6 KB · Views: 115
Back