27 year old captain at major airline?

orange

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Orange

I realize it's Avianca, and not a US airline, but it's still a major international airline.

She finished flight school (PPL?) at 22 and is a captain at 27? The fact that she looks like a model probably didn't hurt her moving up in the world.

Maybe I should move to Colombia, I already speak español.

Nothing preventing that from happening @ the US of A? PPL at 17, ATPL at 21, heck you could be a captain at 22 in today's job market...

She's pretty hot. That would be a nice surprise stepping onboard and seeing her in the left seat. :yes:

Good for her!

We're upgrading 23 year olds at my regional which is the minimum age. I'm on track upgrade at 23-24 years old.

Nothing preventing that from happening @ the US of A? PPL at 17, ATPL at 21, heck you could be a captain at 22 in today's job market...
Maybe at a regional, but I can't see that happening at a major in the US.

The youngest captain that I have heard of on the other forums was a 28-year old DAL guy out of NY. MadDog, I believe.

Pretty impressive.

Not sure if he was a line holder or not.

I wouldn't consider Avianca a "major". The regional/major divide is (almost)unique to the US so you can't really compare them. Avianca has their long haul operation, but I don't see a 27 year old making captain there. Their short haul operates much like the regionals here in the US.

She looks like she's about 4'10". I wonder if she has any trouble reaching the pedals and/or overhead switches.

She looks like she's about 4'10".
Yeah, in 6" heels, maybe. She barely comes up to the shoulder of the girl she's walking with; avg height for females prob around 5'5".

We have a 26 year old CA here. When you have an airplane/base with upgrades starting at less than a year, these things will happen.

Be impressed that they did what it took to get hired on to a major at 25, but being an airline captain or flying a specific piece of equipment at xx age is not an accomplishment - it's merely a matter of seniority.

I recall reading that Kirby Chambliss made captain at southwest at 28 and was youngest at the time. I wonder if anyone has beaten that yet.

Nothing new here. I knew a guy at Continental that made Capt. at 24 and was Capt until 60. Plenty of other examples out there.

You just got to hit it at the right time.

You give a kid of 23 or so command of a fighter or bomber capable of carrying nuclear weapons and no one bats an eye.
What's the problem with a 27 year old woman in charge of a commercial jet?

"Because *I* had bad timing and didn't make captain until I was 56. These damned kids need to pay their dues!"

That's pretty much what it boils down to.

You give a kid of 23 or so command of a fighter or bomber capable of carrying nuclear weapons and no one bats an eye.

Because it is the AF pilot's job to kill people while that is not the job of an airline pilot.

:D Just kidding. I agree with you.

For the same reason that I want the surgeon who's going to crack my chest to have a lot of gray hair.

I just question whether it was an actual deserved promotion or if it is a publicity stunt or if she was moved up because she is a woman(minority) or because of all three?

I guess if she was fat and ugly, her qualifications would not be questioned but because she is a very attractive young lady then that is what got her there. Is that about right?

I guess if she was fat and ugly, her qualifications would not be questioned but because she is a very attractive young lady then that is what got her there. Is that about right?
the-most-interesting-man-in-the-world-i-dont-always-hire-27-year-old-captains-but-when-i-do-i-make-s.jpg

I wonder is she English proficient?

Going through this thread, I couldn't help but think if all the "female" poa members we are driving away. After all it is threads like this one that are keeping new members from signing up according to some.

I am going to go to the store now yo see if I can find a new can of "give-a-****"

Going through this thread, I couldn't help but think if all the "female" poa members we are driving away. After all it is threads like this one that are keeping new members from signing up according to some.

I am going to go to the store now yo see if I can find a new can of "give-a-****"

It is a strong possibility. Even with the replies saying that Delta has even younger captains on the MD/717 fleets, the conversation is still overwhelmingly about how she doesn't deserve it.

Back