2014 Gaston's Attendee List

I was thrilled to have broken the jinx...my last visit to Gaston's ended with a gear failure and I had to fly home with pinned gear - talk about a tedious 700 miles. Anyway I successfully flew with Steve See again, and all was well this time.

By the way, we had seventeen people show up! Great turnout, more than in recent past. Much fun was had!

You "old folk" kept going on about the days of 40-50+ showing up and aircraft lined up down the runway.

I hope someday we can have that happen again!

And thanks to Jesse and Tim posting information about starting the landing pattern over the dam and following the ridge on downwind.

It made my first landings at Gaston's super easy to execute.

You "old folk" kept going on about the days of 40-50+ showing up and aircraft lined up down the runway.

I hope someday we can have that happen again!

Yes! Mainly because PoA was a MUCH more civil place when most of us knew each other in person from Gaston's, the FlyBQ, etc...

We need more PoA fly-ins!

Yes! Mainly because PoA was a MUCH more civil place when most of us knew each other in person from Gaston's, the FlyBQ, etc...

We need more PoA fly-ins!

Gastons and our midwest flyins from years back are some of my fondest memories.

flyingcheesehead said:
Mainly because PoA was a MUCH more civil place when most of us knew each other in person from Gaston's, the FlyBQ, etc...

Now there's you an idea! If you want to be a member with commenting privileges on the board, you have to have been to a POA fly in and not behaved as a total ******* at the event!

Last edited:
My last Gastons was 2009, and IIRC, there was a lot of folks that year.

That was my first, last, and only time thus far. I remember the Aztec and Mooney were within 1 kt of eachother on airspeed.

I almost went ROP. Almost... :)

That Gaston's, the Wings I've been to, Tony's graduation party, all some great memories.

Ted, at least you've come to Dallas a few times... Once bringing your lovely wife!

That was my first, last, and only time thus far. I remember the Aztec and Mooney were within 1 kt of eachother on airspeed.

I almost went ROP. Almost... :)

That Gaston's, the Wings I've been to, Tony's graduation party, all some great memories.

2009 was our one and only Gaston's event, too.

I'm curious what has changed since then. There for a few years, we had almost-annual Iowa fly-ins, 6Y9, Gaston's, Windwood, Wings and several ad-hoc get togethers where people actually got out from behind their keyboards and met people face to face. Nowadays, it just doesn't seem like much of that happens anymore. 6Y9 is still going strong (thankfully), but other than that, everything has kind of tailed off.... So what gives? (BTW - This is posted by someone that has logged ZERO hours since flying Young Eagles in May, so I'm definitely not pointing a finger at everyone else)

Really hoping to make more of these this coming year. This has been a trying year for me thus far, but hoping for a better ending. Fly-ins on my list include, Wings, Gastons, Triple Tree, My own Spring Fling, Always 6Y9, plus if things go well I may be flying the Deb by then and will try to get to some of their fly-ins as well. Fingers and toes crossed.

Gas prices have been an issue, and a lot of people have a lot on their plates.

That said, I would hate terribly to miss Gaston's, even an abbreviated visit, and I value the people I've met and the relationships I've been able to establish there.

Biggest problem we've had has been the lack of an organized effort to promote the FlyIn in advance; in prior years, there have bee dedicated advocates taking lead, some of whom have less time to devote, or (in some instances) have moved on to other interests ;0 (although I think a persistent offer of merlot might help some there).

Ted, at least you've come to Dallas a few times... Once bringing your lovely wife!

And we'll be back! Next time the 310 will be full with all 5 of us. :eek:

2009 was our one and only Gaston's event, too.

I'm curious what has changed since then. There for a few years, we had almost-annual Iowa fly-ins, 6Y9, Gaston's, Windwood, Wings and several ad-hoc get togethers where people actually got out from behind their keyboards and met people face to face. Nowadays, it just doesn't seem like much of that happens anymore. 6Y9 is still going strong (thankfully), but other than that, everything has kind of tailed off.... So what gives? (BTW - This is posted by someone that has logged ZERO hours since flying Young Eagles in May, so I'm definitely not pointing a finger at everyone else)

Some of my best memories are of the PoA fly-ins as well. I know for me, a lot of it just got into life getting busy, first with Cloud Nine and then with family. I think a lot of the other regulars ended up getting busier as well, be it with work, family, whatever, and that's just made it difficult. These days even I'm not logging anywhere near the time I used to, although I think this will still come out as a 200 hour year.

We might be well served by coming up with a family-oriented PoA fly-in since so many of us have small children now. Branson? Gatlinburg? Open to suggestions. Those are two places we've been this year and would return.

Chris, here's what happened. We got old.

Some of my best memories are of the PoA fly-ins as well.

I really enjoyed the last few years Brent and I went, I loved working the flightline grill Friday afternoon. Hot grill, cold beer, and handing burgers/dogs/brats to folks as they landed. Good times! (Well, except for the year we almost caught the place on fire dumping ashes in the woods :hairraise:)

I think a lot of the other regulars ended up getting busier as well, be it with work, family, whatever, and that's just made it difficult.
I got hit with two major things at once last year that left me drained in pretty much all ways. Things are better now and improving.

We might be well served by coming up with a family-oriented PoA fly-in since so many of us have small children now. Branson? Gatlinburg? Open to suggestions. Those are two places we've been this year and would return.
I'd be game, and the next time you're in Gatlinburg, let us know. If we're free, we'll come up to meet you. Holly loves Dollywood, our favorite amusement park.

Dude, if you're old, what am I?

I'd be game, and the next time you're in Gatlinburg, let us know. If we're free, we'll come up to meet you. Holly loves Dollywood, our favorite amusement park.

Will do! I was thinking about calling you but we had a both full and unpredictable schedule with Robert and not knowing how Laurie would feel. The upcoming twins will, of course, change things further. I think we'll get back on our feet quicker this time.

Dude, if you're old, what am I?

Venerable. :)

You matured. I got old.

Your statement implies you weren't old previously. ;)

(I am, of course, using "old" in a joking manner)

Some of my best memories are of the PoA fly-ins as well. I know for me, a lot of it just got into life getting busy, first with Cloud Nine and then with family. I think a lot of the other regulars ended up getting busier as well, be it with work, family, whatever, and that's just made it difficult. These days even I'm not logging anywhere near the time I used to, although I think this will still come out as a 200 hour year.

We were sitting around before our Sunday School class this week and someone made the comment "I don't remember life before kids". Rachel and I looked at each other and grinned. What did we do 'before kids'? We drove the Jeep 24 hours round-trip to go to a wedding (and ride trails) in Colorado - even slept a few hours in the Jeep at a rest-stop in western Nebraska... We flew to U.P. of Michigan on Labor Day to camp with people we had only 'met' on the internet... Flew ourselves to Las Vegas when we were so broke that we had to make sure we didn't gamble too much so we would have enough money to buy gas to get back home (not really that bad, but it was close)...

Since kids, I don't think life is 'less exciting', but it's definitely exciting in different ways than before. I think a family-oriented fly-in would be a hoot - especially once the kids are big enough to knowingly interact with other kids.

I don't know what you're talking about... I'll just be 29 1/2 in a month. :D :D BTW - Just because we get old doesn't mean we have to grow up. ;)

We were sitting around before our Sunday School class this week and someone made the comment "I don't remember life before kids". Rachel and I looked at each other and grinned. What did we do 'before kids'? We drove the Jeep 24 hours round-trip to go to a wedding (and ride trails) in Colorado - even slept a few hours in the Jeep at a rest-stop in western Nebraska... We flew to U.P. of Michigan on Labor Day to camp with people we had only 'met' on the internet... Flew ourselves to Las Vegas when we were so broke that we had to make sure we didn't gamble too much so we would have enough money to buy gas to get back home (not really that bad, but it was close)...

Since kids, I don't think life is 'less exciting', but it's definitely exciting in different ways than before. I think a family-oriented fly-in would be a hoot - especially once the kids are big enough to knowingly interact with other kids.

Yeah, we definitely remember life before kids, and talk about it regularly. We went to places in Canada even Canadians can't find on a map, put 50 hours on the Aztec in a week with 4 border crossings and another 4 time zone changes. Hauled hundreds of dogs. Rode our motorcycles all over. Went on fishing and other boat trips. Yep, good times.

I think even Gaston's could be fun if kids were old enough. We really liked Gatlinburg and the cabins there, Branson was also fun, and that's right near Gaston's.

I don't know what you're talking about... I'll just be 29 1/2 in a month. :D :D BTW - Just because we get old doesn't mean we have to grow up. ;)

I've been 75 for at least 6 years now! And yep, old is mandatory, growing up is optional. :D

If anyone is in vegas, let me know, I'd love to have a beer or 2

There may or may not have been a formation runway inspection that failed to clear the deer, which necessitated a 200mph single runway inspection that did the job before a successful landing... at least that's how I dreamed it.

I'm glad I downed that six pack before we went up.

Well rattle my bones! EdFred's back!

:goofy:

Yippee Yahweh!

Last edited:
Yeah and his lack of burritos and chimichangas and being so far away from the Rio Grande means, no mex

Troy

Thanks for posting that video - it was awesome, and also a reminder: plane for plane, there is no prettier profile than the Comanche!

I miss not being to Gastons. However it is a long flight for me and a lot of gas money. I had so much fun last time I was there, flying all Sat. into that Thunder Ridge airstrip. I was tired but so happy to share my kind of flying with a bunch of other pilots and friends. I would like to come back another time, but need someone to fly back with me. It looked like a lot of fun was had by all. I miss not seeing some people that I now call friends that were there. :yes:

Back