2014 Gaston's Attendee List

I am also home. You know it's a long weekend when you pull into the hangar row, spin so your tail is facing the door, and then start cussing the combo lock because it won't open even though your darn sure you put in the correct sequence. And then notice you're in front of the wrong hangar...

I enjoyed everyone's company and was glad to meet some new faces like Dr. Dave and Steve. And thanks to Andrew for keeping me company from/to KADF.

Nice to meet all the new faces!!

Had a lot of fun and even got to watch a grown man say "gah gah".

Thanks Tim for letting me put you through the ringer Friday. I hope it was a good experience.

Thanks Ed, Tim, and Kent for taking me up. After landing on grass, I want to now buy an aircraft. The only downside is that it will be 10 years!!

Glad you got home Mike, it was a fun flight to/from Gastons.

I am also home. You know it's a long weekend when you pull into the hangar row, spin so your tail is facing the door, and then start cussing the combo lock because it won't open even though your darn sure you put in the correct sequence. And then notice you're in front of the wrong hangar...

Yeah, it was definitely one of those weekends that elicits a sigh of relief on Monday morning when one goes back to work to rest up.

Oh, wait...

:goofy:

;)

:thumbsup:

Last edited:
Well, I had planned on a Saturday breakfast and be home by the start of the football game. My preflight caught "No Fly" situation so I spent the weekend rebuilding an air box. :rolleyes2:

Maybe next year.

Last edited:
I am glad all of your enjoyed your stay in Arkansas :)!

Bummer, Larry, would have enjoyed meeting you.

Seriously, I feel the same way. Bout time a drank a beer or 3 with you guys. I've been practicing short field 3 point lands for a week! :lol: I was gonna bring lots of smoke down the runway. :lol:

Last edited:
The lazy 8 style of take off and return for the low pass was way cool to see from overhead.

I'm home, bugs are wiped off the plane, dinner's cooked, and now I have to work for a couple hours before driving to Chicago in the morning. :(

That's ok. An Ag Truck did that for you as his farewell salute.

Didn't know a spray plane would be equipped with a smoke system.

This is Arkansas .. Sure that was smoke? :hairraise:

Fun meeting a few of the folks here on the board... And hearing about Steve's ride!

Gaston's departures:

Steve:

Mike and Andrew:

Tim and Chris:

Kent and Kelsey's takeoff and "downwind departure to the north":

Air Tractor departure and runway inspection:

Last edited:
Thanks for posting those, Troy.

That's ok. An Ag Truck did that for you as his farewell salute.

Didn't know a spray plane would be equipped with a smoke system.

Not to muddy this board with facts, but....

Ag planes use smoke to check wind drift as they cross the field. They'll blow out a few puffs of smoke as they make a pass, then when they turn back around they'll see how much and which direction the smoke drifted along their pass. They can then adjust their passes along the edges of fields so that whatever they are spraying doesn't drift onto something that it shouldn't.

That guy that did the smoke pass was in a AT-602 running about 750hp. No booms mounted (much less drag than normal ops), assuming zero load in the hopper and less than full fuel, he's running about 5-6,000lbs under gross, so he was having a fun time. :)

Last edited:
Sweeet, Troy. Thanks for recording and posting.

A hearty 'well-done', and thanks.....to all of you. I always have a great time with all the fun people that attend Gaston's. Extra thanks to those who made meals, did other preparations for us.

Ed heard a huge pop when leveling off at 9500' going home. A real WTF? moment.

Fortunately, all the tortilla chips remained in the bag.

:goofy:

Everyone is home safe and sound.

Life is good.

Gaston's departures:

I respectfully request that you remove the videos of the Ait Tractor's departure so that I might claim my rightful trophy for "best fully loaded climb rate" out of Gaston's.

It's all about accelerating to Vne in ground effect and then pulling up to a 45* deck angle...a proper zoom climb donchaknow.

;)

I respectfully request that you remove the videos of the Ait Tractor's departure so that I might claim my rightful trophy for "best fully loaded climb rate" out of Gaston's.

It's all about accelerating to Vne in ground effect and then pulling up to a 45* deck angle...a proper zoom climb donchaknow.

;)

Best fully-loaded without a PT-6? :D

From Teresa:

fd0401ac00ef972df2cbc3e89b599e67.jpg

Turkeys wanting treats...they follow you around like puppies.

Attachments

• IMG_20140925_155341_229.jpg
    IMG_20140925_155341_229.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 15
Not to muddy this board with facts, but....

That guy that did the smoke pass was in a AT-602 running about 750hp.

Well, not to muddy the waters even further, but that was actually an AT-502. The 602 was still there when we left.

I know. Details details.

Well, not to muddy the waters even further, but that was actually an AT-502. The 602 was still there when we left.

I know. Details details.

Well, I just knew it was a crop duster. :rofl:

Dave- I like your knew avatar sig! Gah-Gah

I hate autocorrect! I meant NEW!!! :dunno:

It was the funniest thing that night! A grown man going gah-gah without missing a beat.

probably defying all sorts of rules and etiquette but here are some pics
How do you get descriptions between the photos?
The only one requiring explanation might be the photo of the sand spur. A bare-footed dam-visitor encountered some, and this is the Texas size (about 3x the Arkansas size apparently).

Attachments

• photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    74.7 KB · Views: 37
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 44
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    95.2 KB · Views: 42
  • photo 1(7).JPG
    photo 1(7).JPG