2014 Gaston's Attendee List

I miss not being to Gastons. However it is a long flight for me and a lot of gas money. I had so much fun last time I was there, flying all Sat. into that Thunder Ridge airstrip. I was tired but so happy to share my kind of flying with a bunch of other pilots and friends. I would like to come back another time, but need someone to fly back with me. It looked like a lot of fun was had by all. I miss not seeing some people that I now call friends that were there. :yes:

Bob:

We're gonna make sure to schedule the next one in plenty of time for everyone to plan around the date... and we're gonna make sure you get there. I missed you plenty.

I've been meaning to do a trip out west again. If Bob could get to Gaston's I could get him home - if he could stand flying in a low wing. :eek:

Mark your calendar for next year, Bob! At least reserve the date, and we'll see if we can't get somebody to make the journey and share expenses. I know I'd love to do it, if I can! I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Mark your calendar for next year, Bob! At least reserve the date, and we'll see if we can't get somebody to make the journey and share expenses. I know I'd love to do it, if I can! I'm sure I'm not the only one!

Have they settled on a date as yet. I will mark it down and hope that I can get back there another time. I still owe a few rides to folks that didn't get to ride into Thunder Ridge on that Sat. with me.

Have they settled on a date as yet. I will mark it down and hope that I can get back there another time. I still owe a few rides to folks that didn't get to ride into Thunder Ridge on that Sat. with me.

It looks like Sept 24-27th is winning in the polls, but the polls aren't closed yet!

attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 10-13-14 at 03.16 PM.PNG
    Screen Shot 10-13-14 at 03.16 PM.PNG
    22.3 KB · Views: 247
I've been meaning to do a trip out west again. If Bob could get to Gaston's I could get him home - if he could stand flying in a low wing. :eek:

Vale, OR looks like a 2.5 hour flight for me from the bay area in the Lance. Could be a great nudge to make it to Gastons. Of course that would mean Bob gets to "enjoy" a low wing both directions. :D

Everyone should really try and attend PoA fly ins.

It's flying in different airplanes, hanging out with some good people. And it's always good for a bunch of laughs, especially when something like this gets conjured up after a few beers, and wagers are made on the over/under on how soon before certain posters rush to reply, and what their reply will be.

Remember, if you don't attend PoA fly-ins, we will talk about you. :D

Ed said something positive? It must have been good! :yes:

Some of the best times I've had were at POA fly-ins. I suppose I ought to organize one, but I've little experience at being popular (and for very good reason).

Some of the best times I've had were at POA fly-ins. I suppose I ought to organize one, but I've little experience at being popular (and for very good reason).

You're (and many others) better off just showing up. Organizing and getting everything ready is a huge PITA. Though Gaston's not as much because, well, it's not being hosted by a PoA'er.

I will try my hardest to make it next year. I have always enjoyed my time there with fellow pilots.
:yes:

Everyone should really try and attend PoA fly ins.

It's flying in different airplanes, hanging out with some good people. And it's always good for a bunch of laughs

This! There need to be more PoA fly-ins, and more attendees at them!

This! There need to be more PoA fly-ins, and more attendees at them!

My first couple Gastons were fantastic as I was newly minted at that time.

Rides in the Extra 300L pulling 6g turns, Cessna 195, Viking, many more I just don't remember now. I was a ride whore, I'd ride in anything and smile the whole time. I even got some left seat time in Dr Bruce's Seneca once.

Good times!

Damn, I need to get off my duff and get back in the air.

One time I rode SW airlines to St. Louis and Dr. Bruce and Sue picked me up and took me to Gastons. And dropped me off in St. Louis on their way home. I just love those fine people. They even stopped by to visit me when they were out my way.

Attachments

• Bruce and Sue in Vale..JPG
    Bruce and Sue in Vale..JPG
    407.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Bruce Chien and Bob Bement looking over Lola, Bob's 1954 Jeep..jpg
    Bruce Chien and Bob Bement looking over Lola, Bob's 1954 Jeep..jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Bob, you need to do it again...I'd love to meet you. If I'm still living in this area next year (our house is on the market) then I'd be glad to give you a lift from STL to Gaston's!

Bob, you need to do it again...I'd love to meet you. If I'm still living in this area next year (our house is on the market) then I'd be glad to give you a lift from STL to Gaston's!

Tim I would like to meet you also. However I really would like to fly back to Gastons so I can give a few more rides into that place called Thunder Ridge. I would like to have someone to meet me in Oregon and fly back with me in N9054N. I have a few that said they missed the chance last time to fly with me, but wanted to. This is what the short final to Thunder Ridge looked like.

Attachments

• 30883_759821619390_2044004_n.jpg
    30883_759821619390_2044004_n.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 30
Is there white water rafting near Gaston's?

Bryan,

There are a lot of really nice "mountain" streams in the area but none rise to the level of rafting. Hell, none really even rise to the level of kayaking. I paddled a lot of streams when we lived in the area, especially in the spring, always in an open boat (canoe) and sometimes with flotation but typically not. Class II with an occasional class III rapid is about as difficult as it gets in the area thus kayaks and rafts are overkill.

The river has to run pretty wide and slow to get the nighttime fog that its namesake is derived from.

(And it looks really cool. But I don't know if it's too cold in October to get that effect at night from warm moist air sitting on top of a slow colder river...)

There was fog last year or the year before.

Back