2 killed in plane crash west of Daytona Beach

OK, so why not design a shock sensor for small trainers, solid state shock transducers are not that expensive. Someone like ERAU with a large fleet might benefit, as you'd have actual data to decide if that last "hard" landing was really a hard landing.

And if the hard landing reported is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, how would you handle the possibility that you may have contributed to this terrible loss? Yes, it was reported and mx took a look but I still have to wonder about the guilt for that pilot.

The new rumor on this one is the airplane had a “hard landing” the day before and then was supposedly “inspected” that evening before the fatal flight.

Ugggggly.

I would expect a landing hard enough to damage the wing would damage the landing gear as well, at least the tires.
If a wing was capable of taking 6Gs, then that means a 2500lb plane would deliver a load of 15000lbs.
I don’t think it’s that simple, and I think like most accidents it will be a chain of events: like a hard landing and some corrosion and overlooked maintenance.

Last edited:
And if the hard landing reported is true, and I have no reason to believe otherwise, how would you handle the possibility that you may have contributed to this terrible loss? Yes, it was reported and mx took a look but I still have to wonder about the guilt for that pilot.

THAT last hard landing may just be the straw that broke the camel's back. Those planes are beat on hard for many years.

I knew a mechanic that was involved in a loss of life accident. It was an unambiguous situation. He made an error in good faith that had catastrophic consequences for the pilot. The mechanic never worked again and eventually committed suicide. I expect the mechanics working at riddle are good people that take their jobs seriously and conduct themselves professionally. Those are the kind of people that have the hardest time with these type of failures. I really hope the reports are wrong.

OK, so why not design a shock sensor for small trainers, solid state shock transducers are not that expensive. Someone like ERAU with a large fleet might benefit, as you'd have actual data to decide if that last "hard" landing was really a hard landing.
When I first joined PoA I had an idea to put some accelerometers and stress sensors throughout the airframe, etc.... the actual electronics are cheap and simple and the coding for them is not hard.. someone with patience and some coding skill could take the data and feed it through an arduino or something.. BUT, I was readily advised that the costs, certifications, etc., made that a non starter. Pretty stupid really. We're talking <$100 in electronics to provide some really good data on aircraft loads and how it proceeds through its fatigue life

THAT last hard landing may just be the straw that broke the camel's back. Those planes are beat on hard for many years.
Yeah.. that's the thing with fatigue.. eventually it gives way. It's an insidious killer. I must admit I get a little uneasy climbing aboard many of the 1970s rental trainers so many clubs have. How many times was that plane maneuvered a little over Va, or landed hard, or done some absurdly tight steep turns... how many times did some cowboys go out for a joyride??

Not saying any of that is the cause... for all we know it may have been a fluke manufacturing flaw or something else... BUT, I imagine that between being in Florida, with the frequent storms rain water, turbulence, salty air environment, and being beat to hell on every single day those planes get seriously abused

Imagine if every day you got in your car you tested it to redline, then slammed on the ABS breaks, then drove over a series of pot holes.. and did that for 8 hrs a day... your car would quickly age out as well

I have wondered why the spar is not just one solid piece that runs from tip to tip. From the photos it looks like the wing separated right at the fuselage joint.. from other things I've read and seen it seems like that is the weak spot. Aren't there frames out there with a solid spar? I think the Trinidad or Tobago, Cirruses, etc.

Is there a reason for these planes with <40 ft wingspan they don't just use one long spar?

how do you measure hard landings? I have made a hard landing or 14 in my student days (and after)... but what I think as hard landing might not be hard landing and vice versa.. i guess what i am trying to understand is when do you go to the A&P and tell em - hey i think i got a few hard landings.. check em over

I have wondered why the spar is not just one solid piece that runs from tip to tip. From the photos it looks like the wing separated right at the fuselage joint.. from other things I've read and seen it seems like that is the weak spot. Aren't there frames out there with a solid spar? I think the Trinidad or Tobago, Cirruses, etc.

Is there a reason for these planes with <40 ft wingspan they don't just use one long spar?

Mooney put out a picture with all their employees standing on the wing.
I’m guessing that a 1 piece spar is more difficult to manufacture.

The spar is designed that way mainly for ease of mass production, and cost. It also makes it easier and cheaper to replace a wing if damage would occur. Also for transport purposes being able to pull the wings off in the field and flatbed the plane is a simpler process. Piper has used this basic spar system for about 70 years, it is overall very reliable ( not sure about the PA46 which I know actually has 2 spars although one is partial span), and failure is very rare.

Mooney used a single spar.

I see an initial report is now saying there may have been a hard landing. I am doubtful one hard landing would cause a failure, without evidence of tire or gear damage in addition. Now with a training plane there could be a history of hard landings, and the is the proverbial straw. Plus, some one listed this as a 2007 plane, I would be surprised if a 11 year old plane would have time to have that kind of corrosion.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

how do you measure hard landings? I have made a hard landing or 14 in my student days (and after)... but what I think as hard landing might not be hard landing and vice versa.. i guess what i am trying to understand is when do you go to the A&P and tell em - hey i think i got a few hard landings.. check em over
I have wondered the same, I'm sure there's a textbook answer, however the everyday pilot probably just comes down to judgment.. and given that many of these are rentals, and there's a certain amount of embarrassment in reporting a screw-up, I bet most hard landings and exceedances are not reported unfortunately.. I have always just hoped that the annual inspections do their due diligence in looking for any airframe issues

I remember that picture! I have seen that trick done a few times, with other planes too.. the pictures are definitely a cool party trick, and do instill a sense of confidence, but I wonder how much physics wizardry is actually going on there

The picture I have of the Mooney shows 15 people on each wing, using very rough napkin math if I add up the weights I get, for each wing the following, assuming the gear is the fulcrum:

Outboard of gear:
11 people outside the gear=~ 1900lbs

Inboard of gear:
4 people inside the gear=~700lbs
+
Half fuselage=~500lbs
=1,200lbs

So it seems that the greatest stress point is just outboard of the landing gear supporting almost 2,000lbs.

Now let's say the max TO weight is 2,900 lbs, each wing carries say 1,200 lbs (not 1,450 because the wing weight doesn't count)

Now I don't have the poh, but if we take a very conservative 3.2 Max G load then 3.2 X 1,200 = 3,800lbs, which is well above the 1,900 we calculated above. Yes, the wing in the photo is in negative load, but even just the 1.5 negative load factor still puts the wing right around that 1,900lb load. I'm sure when the engineer is playing that photo together with marketing and they did the math

Anyway, take that napkin math with a huge grain of salt, but I think you could take that famous Mooney picture and do it with just about any certified standard category airplane.. yes even your standard rental School Cherokee

I do get though that Moonies have a reputation for being rock solid airplanes, this is not a refutation of that, more just my dorky curiosity into the numbers at play

Would also make it more difficult to remove the wings for ground transport if necessary.
I mean, it was obviously a cost to reason they did the separate wings, however at less than 40 ft I don't see why it would be that hard to just lift the fuselage off from the top of it. 40 ft will still fit in just about any commercial trailer

That was more just idle thought though about the solid spar, not at all implying that that was the reason that wing failed. Obviously that design has been around for a crazy long time and proven to be very successful. I am extremely curious what caused this wing separation

That was more just idle thought though about the solid spar, not at all implying that that was the reason that wing failed. Obviously that design has been around for a crazy long time and proven to be very successful. I am extremely curious what caused this wing separation
In theory a split spar is just as strong or possibly even stronger than a single spar. At the pass through you have more metal. But, by having another joint and more parts, it is an additional point of failure

In addition the dihedral is easier to manufacture with two pieces. A single spar would need to be bent or actually be two welded sections. That would create a week spot.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

all y'all are over thinking this. The spar didn't break. Look at the picks.....the wing departed at the fuselage attach fittings. My bet is on corroded and or fatigued bolts....or some other maintenance induced failure.

When metal is visibly distorted after a landing, that’s a good indication.

This is the right wing of an Arrow just above the landing gear.
dd83de701edb1ff1d0ad0c2d4bb44664.jpg

all y'all are over thinking this. The spar didn't break. Look at the picks.....the wing departed at the fuselage attach fittings. My bet is on corroded and or fatigued bolts....or some other maintenance induced failure.
Agree that it isn’t a spar issue, but I doubt corrosion alone is going to result in failure of the attach fittings. More like corrosion combined with overstress.

Oh gawd, that pic is chilling.

Also, this was apparently a 2007. Seems unlikely to be corrosion.

A spar is just a beam.
So are bridges. They aren't all built from a single piece either.
There is nothing wrong with the design of the PA-28 wing. It's proved less trouble than some other, more popular types that are sometimes revered on this forum (cough, cough).

We don't know if this is what actually happened in this instance, but any aircraft flown outside the design envelope risks ultimate failure.

If you are looking for a tough airframe you want a Mooney. I believe it has the continuous spar, and I believe there is only one known instance of an in-flight breakup of a Mooney airframe (that was flown into a thunderstorm if I recall correctly).

The condition of the spar-to-carrythrough fittings will tell the tale. My money is on prior-overstress fatigue failure of the bolts. On a more egregious case, it could be outright mx oversight in re-installation which would negate the rigidity of the fitting to the degree that accelerated failure of the fitting(s) or bolt(s) would occur. But that would be quick to surface in a place with a presumed high-control and high-volume mx shop such as the directorate of MX of ERAU.

Corrosion of internals to the degree of material loss required to create ultimate failure in something as benign as climbing flight (less that 3Gs)? I'm not betting on that horse, merely based on the amount of eyes that fleet is constantly under every 100 hours. Never say never I suppose.

As a PA-28R owner, I have no preoccupation with the wing attachment design that carries my family back and forth for the last 10 years (taper Warrior then, hershey Arrow now). As to people constantly making SB1006 the boogie man, I haven't had it formally accomplished; the fuel tanks have been removed during the course of unrelated mx (see toolbox saga circa 2016) and the spar and associated crevices were fine. Much like the non-suffix prop hub recurring inspection, this one is another case of "and that's why we can't have nice things". As proliferate as the PA-28 fleet is, its bound to have its share of derelicts and abusers, so it garners visibility. I do think in the case of ERAU, having that level of visibility, considering the established maintenance support and revenue that fleet generates, a mx oversight (if that was the case) of such severity would not bode well for their PR.

And they can get the EE students to design them as a project.

I wasn't aware of a photo of the spar. The Piper spar protrudes 6" to 10" from the wing and is assembled to the fuselage by inserting this end of spar into the carry through spar in the fuselage. The PA-28-181 that had a wing separation on March 30, 1987 with a cracked spar at the wing root.

I wasn't aware of a photo of the spar. The Piper spar protrudes 6" to 10" from the wing and is assembled to the fuselage by inserting this end of spar into the carry through spar in the fuselage. The PA-28-181 that had a wing separation on March 30, 1987 with a cracked spar at the wing root.
here's the PA 28 wing attachment.....Note the spar does not continue thru the fuselage. The bottom bolts protrude thru the bottom of the fuselage and is covered with a plastic cap. This area is an important inspection point and can gather corrosion.

s-l300.jpg

I know nothing about this kind of mx work, so forgive my ignorant question. Is it possible that after the mechanics inspected the plane after the reports of a hard landing, they did something wrong putting it back together? BTW I'm not even speculating this to be the case, just curious whether the inspection for a hard landing could possibly lead to this.

In any event, RIP. What a terrifying event.

here's the PA 28 wing attachment.....Note the spar does not continue thru the fuselage. The bottom bolts protrude thru the bottom of the fuselage and is covered with a plastic cap. This area is an important inspection point and can gather corrosion.

s-l300.jpg

I didn't say that the wing spar continued thru the fuselage. The carry through spar is riveted in the lower fuselage and the wing spars are inserted into the outer ends of the carry through spar. The exposed end of the spar in this photo is attached with 10 bolts in the top and ten in the bottom. A smaller bolt is attached to the leading edge of the wing and one at the smaller rear spar. This aft attachment is referred to in Piper SB 1244B. If this was a photo of the ERAU wing showing the wing spar is still complete after the accident, then it came off because of missing or failed bolts. If this inboard section of spar is missing then the wing came off because of a crack in the spar or extreme corrosion. Piper SB 886 gives instruction on how to inspect for cracks by removing the wings and inspecting the lower wing spar cap with a 10-power magnifying glass. The reason that you can not inspect this area with the wings attached is because the exposed spar in this photo in inserted into the carry through spar, like sliding it into a box.

The NTSB Safety Recommendation dated April 10, 1987 concerning a Piper PA-28-181 wing separation on March 30, 1987:
Although the investigation is continuing, preliminary examination by the Safety
Board's Materials Laboratory disclosed features indicative of fatigue cracking in the
separated left wing main spar. Fatigue cracking initiated at two locations just outboard
of the outermost forward attachment bolt hole in the lower Tshaped spar cap of the main
spar. Fatigue propagation was upward through the thickness and chordwise completely
through the forward leg of the lower spar cap (about 1.3 inches). A small area of fatigue
cracking also was noted in the forward web fracture piece adjacent to the forward
outboard attachment bolt hole.

I hope that this helps. All we can do is guess and speculate until the NTSB report comes out in about 24 months from now.

1 in 10 other PA28s inspected showed a crack... What are the odds... Yikes.

That'll tighten your sphincter

Especially if you believe the story that ERAU does MORE inspecting of these than the average place does.

We do “know” the aircraft was involved in a “hard landing” the day before. Has that event been understated dramatically and it was more like “damn near ripped both wings off”?

Holy cow man. Metal fatigue from overstress on an airframe way way way newer than anything most of us fly. How damn bad are they beating up airplanes out there?

That'll tighten your sphincter

Not really. And I fly my family on PA28 products, so I put my money where my mouth is. I'm certainly not fanatical about the aircraft; I've proffered enough self-deprecating jabs about my mediocre but economical and dispatch-friendly chariot on here to prove that. Enough to get kicked out of the circle of trust over on the piper centric fan board lol.

But I can and do call a spade a spade: We don't have a PA-28 problem here, we have an ERAU problem here.

If, *IF*, I stop flying this PA28R, it certainly won't be on account of having a loss of confidence on its structural integrity. It would certainly much more likely to be due to ERAU's derelict behavior and lack of transparency. I guess we will see how the Yosemite Sams over at the FAA swing on this one. fwiw, another 4 sorties and 5 hours in the last three days, one through some gnarly TX summer nugget-busting updrafts in IMC.... still alive. :rolleyes::cool:

How damn bad are they beating up airplanes out there?

LOL, a hell of a lot more than they let on, that's for sure. They're too busy counting that fiat devalued student loan money printing press by the bucketloads to pay attention to them pesky opportunity costs. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
But I can and do call a spade a spade: We don't have a PA-28 problem here, we have an ERAU problem here.

What information suggests that ER uses its aircraft in a more abusive manner than any other flight school or individual? Sure, they pile on hours at a faster rate, but that's not abuse.

I hate to get back onto the AD thing, but with that second report I would be surprised if there is not one issued. By the rapidity of this investigation, this has been fast tracked by the FAA. With the number of PA28 out there, they want an answer. A final report may take two years, but I do not think the FAA is going to wait on issuing directives. My question is how extensive they will be. Is it only going to be higher use (say over 5000 hour) PA28R's, or is it going to extend across all Pipers which use the same attachment method.

What information suggests that ER uses its aircraft in a more abusive manner than any other flight school or individual? Sure, they pile on hours at a faster rate, but that's not abuse.
ERAU has a policy/practice where ALL they use the Arrows for is takeoffs and landings. That’s it. No cross countries. No chandelles, lazy 8s....etc. Just takeoffs and landings. All the other maneuvers/phases of training are done in fixed gear planes.

So, by default, an ERAU Arrow is getting more physical abuse than other flight school airplanes.

Last edited:
I'm flying/instructing in a '69 Arrow and '76 140 at the flight school. Arrow almost 50 years, flys well. But one never knows.

ERAU has a policy/practice where ALL they use the Arrows for is takeoffs and landings. That’s it. No cross countries. No chandelles, lazy 8s....etc. Just takeoffs and landings. All the other maneuvers/phases of training are done in fixed gear planes.

So, by default, an ERAU Arrow is getting more physical abuse than other flight school airplanes.
I wonder what those upper wing skins looked like? Beat to hell?

Back