2 killed in plane crash west of Daytona Beach

RIP. Tragic, if it is ER plane probably young people. A shame.

"with witnesses saying they saw a wing fall off a plane before it crashed."

That's interesting.

It takes some doing to rip a wing off a PA-28.
Rough week so far in GA.
RIP.

A sad day,may they RIP. Interested to see why the wing fell off.

Friend that works there said the plane was on upwind in the pattern when it happened and the entire arrow fleet has been grounded. A wing just falling off is unreal. Very sad

Dang. Wings falling off is just about the absolute nightmare scenario for flying. :(

The other PA28 that lost a wing had at one time have a hanger roof collapsed on it

Wow ! That is a really unusual situation to happen.

FAA Examiner as a passenger... this will gain some attention.

The DPE wasn't a passenger he was conducting a checkride.
"loss of one of our student pilots as well as a passenger who was a designated pilot examiner with the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration"

I was going off the presidents message.

Fair Enough, whatever the case a sad day and one that we will be watching to understand what happened.

Really dude? Do you really feel it's necessary to be so veracious?
just making a comment, like everyone else here. If you don't like what I have to say, it's simple-just click the ignore button.

just making a comment, like everyone else here. If you don't like what I have to say, it's simple-just click the ignore button.
It wasn’t that bad, that was just one of the bigger nits that I’ve seen picked in awhile.

The one I remember happened in Alaska and think it was a Cherokee six.

If it's ERAU, I would like to think their maintenance program would have that covered. Otherwise, I would expect a considerable over-stressed scenario would be needed to break-up a Piper wing.

When I first heard about the wing coming off and that it was being reported (at the time) that it was two students at ERAU, I ashamedly instantaneously and wrongly assumed that they were yanking and banking a bit too hard and overstressed it. Now hearing it was on climb out with a CFI candidate and a DPE, I wonder if it was overstressed on previous flight(s) and just finally gave way or if it was due to the corrosion issue or a different and undiagnosed structural issue. Regardless, a tragedy for the families, the school, and GA in general.

When I first heard about the wing coming off and that it was being reported (at the time) that it was two students at ERAU, I ashamedly instantaneously and wrongly assumed that they were yanking and banking a bit too hard and overstressed it.

I will admit to thinking the same. There was a big brush up at my Alma Mater years ago when it came to light certain students had been looping a common non-aerobatic trainer. Many student's parents threatened to pull their students and/or sue if the aircraft weren't pulled from service and given a thorough structural inspection.

The one I remember happened in Alaska and think it was a Cherokee six.

Ok, never heard of that one. There’s been a PA28 with wing failure in TX back in 87, one in SD in 1995, one in UT in 2007, one in IL in 2013. One in the UK as well. I’m sure a few more outthere.

Whether or not they exceeded the POH limits or broke apart due to fatigue / corrosion, remains to be seen.

You can bet that pending the investigation there may be some big things coming down for the PA-28 fleet. Sad day for all.

One thinks the current “go over the airworthiness status of aircraft used for checkrides” can only get worse also, depending on if they find a maintenance discrepancy or not. Sadly for the rest of us, the investigation finding an honest to goodness maintenance screw up would be better than not. Because DPEs are going to get even harder instructions to assure airworthiness if not.

Anyone know how old this plane was, or a guess on the number of hours it has flown? I am guessing it is high hours, but the better known schools tend to turn over their fleets faster, so the airframes are usually more recent. Plus it is subject to 100 hrs inspections, when was its last one?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

This is very sad, RIP to the two people. I think the answer to the mystery will be easily found upon inspection of that wing. I'm thinking corrosion, or fatigue crack. It would be very sad if it was caused by previous damage from some knucklehead screwing around.

Back