2 killed in plane crash west of Daytona Beach

Apparently, ER's training syllabus is they only do takoffs and landings in the -28R's. Nothing else. So they accumulate landings faster than similar aircraft elsewhere. Is that abuse? No, not in my book. But it is cyclic use, which fatigues aluminum. It may be that ER is performing its own version of accelerated wear testing on its fleet, and that's the underlying cause.
Thanks! Hopefully the FAA will be pragmatic in it's findings and recommendations.

Someone earlier had suggested, or indicated that they have a policy of pulling wings at 10000 hours, so maybe they just need to amend that to a different figure, or like someone else said, start counting the cycles and factoring that in. Hopefully ERAU will work with the FAA instead of against them

That’s why I think this is a mx failure.
Thanks. With 30,000+ of them out there it's obviously not a major design issue with the PA28, if ERAU is packing 50 landings a day onto these things then there will certainly be some faster aging items

Curious what UND's curriculum and inspection and maintenance regimen is like

Thanks. With 30,000+ of them out there it's obviously not a major design issue with the PA28, if ERAU is packing 50 landings a day onto these things then there will certainly be some faster aging items

I don’t know but I bet they are looking at it real close now.

I prefer low wings and am very fond of my PA28 time.. but maybe it's not cut out for "trainer" life if landing it is considered "abusive"

It may be, at the quantity they’re doing them. Many have said they don’t like that the forces of any landing go straight up into the wing and create a bending moment on the spar.

It might just be too hard a life for the design to smack the underside of the spar with forces from the gear 30,000 times in 12 years.

We’ll know more when the engineers are done.

Everybody thought the reinforced carbon-carbon panels on the Shuttle couldn’t have a basketball sized hole blown in them by styrofoam, too, once. All it took was an air cannon to disapprove that.

Maybe they should train their students to make smoother landings. By the time they’re working on their commercial certificate, they should be able to flare and touch down gently.

Or do they put pre-solo kids in the Arrows?

Maybe they should train their students to make smoother landings. By the time they’re working on their commercial certificate, they should be able to flare and touch down gently.

From what I’ve read, they don’t. The Arrows just do a crap ton of Commercial landing prep.

Now that the rules have changed on that, I bet ERAU doesn’t bother and does the ten hours in the Arrow as XC time and finishes up in the fixed gear airplanes.

Had this thought as well. It’s one thing for an airplane to survive pre-solo students as it is expected that there will be some “arrivals.” But if there are enough folks working on their commercial that can’t land smoothly the majority of the time, it makes you wonder how fast they are forcing people through...perhaps not enough time is being spent on fundamentals...

You would think so, but I've seen a lot of guys who can't for various reasons. Most of the people I've seen who struggle also happen to have a 141 school background.

Apparently, ER's training syllabus is they only do takoffs and landings in the -28R's. Nothing else. So they accumulate landings faster than similar aircraft elsewhere. Is that abuse? No, not in my book. But it is cyclic use, which fatigues aluminum.

That’s not true, they use 172s for initial training. I think they were referring to commercial training, when students should be advanced enough to make benign landings, unless the commercial landing exercises promote hard landings.

Always a joy to read this thread prior to flying the Arrow, lol. Seriously though, the one I fly is around 3500 total hours so I'm not worried even though it is used by a flight school. Unlike ERAU, you rarely see our plane in the pattern for touch and goes. This accident seems to be an excessive use/training environment issue. Not that wings should be falling off an aircraft during normal use ever, but the concern should be focused on the Arrows that fit this demographic and not on the entire fleet.

Last edited:
Always a joy to read this thread prior to flying the Arrow, lol. Seriously though, the one I fly is around 3500 total hours so I'm not worried even though it is used by a flight school. This accident seems to be an excessive use/training environment issue. Not that wings should be falling off ever, but the concern should be focused on the aircraft that fit this demographic and not on the entire fleet of Arrows.

Well, I wouldn’t say ever but some aircraft are simply more robust than others. 22 inflight breakups for PA28s on NTSB. Some of those 22 are understandable due to IIMC but AA5s and AA1s have seen the same IIMC with not one losing a wing. Even inexperienced pilots crashing from aerobatics, the Grummans exhibited wrinkles in the skin with no spar separation. That’s a strong airframe.

Yes, after rereading my post, I knew I shouldn't of used an absolute statement like that considering there are occurrences i.e turbulence, unusual attitudes, that can rip a wing off an otherwise structurally sound aircraft. You quoted me before added "normal use".

Yes, after rereading my post, I knew I shouldn't of used an absolute statement like that considering there are occurrences i.e turbulence, unusual attitudes, that can rip a wing off an otherwise structurally sound aircraft. You quoted me before added "normal use".
the key is not to "exceed" the limits during operations......

One point that confuses me about this thread:
There are ongoing comments that ERAU doesn't teach its students to land properly.
And there are ongoing comments that ERAU airplanes take too much abuse caused by too many landings.

So either ERAU does a lousy job of teaching, despite much effort, or perhaps the assumptions and conclusions being drawn here are mistaken.

One point that confuses me about this thread:
There are ongoing comments that ERAU doesn't teach its students to land properly.
And there are ongoing comments that ERAU airplanes take too much abuse caused by too many landings.

So either ERAU does a lousy job of teaching, despite much effort, or perhaps the assumptions and conclusions being drawn here are mistaken.
Meh it’s just a little good natured ribbing. A select few of their graduates get out into the industry and act like gods gift to aviation while possessing skills and knowledge that barely meet the minimum standards to pass a ride. They are bad enough to give them all a bad rap. The other side of it is that the training program is highly structured. That’s good and bad. The most one dimensional and naive pilots I have ever flown with were university grads that went straight to an airline AND never took it upon themselves to fly outside of the school/airline environment. It was funny watching some of those guys trying to do a visual approach without any vertical guidance from an approach. Kinda like watching a squirrel try to figure out a squirrel proof bird feeder.

. It was funny watching some of those guys trying to do a visual approach without any vertical guidance from an approach. Kinda like watching a squirrel try to figure out a squirrel proof bird feeder.

Back about 10 years ago or so we had the same issue at ASA/ExpressJet. They had difficulty with visual approaches and I thought to myself it's nothing but a pattern landing really, so why are they having problems with it.

Back about 10 years ago or so we had the same issue at ASA/ExpressJet. They had difficulty with visual approaches and I thought to myself it's nothing but a pattern landing really, so why are they having problems with it.

I'm amazed at how well George flies an approach, look up from the foggles and there's the runway, right on glidepath, centered up. Push the button and wait til it's time to flare.

I'm amazed at how well George flies an approach, look up from the foggles and there's the runway, right on glidepath, centered up. Push the button and wait til it's time to flare.

But, will they be able to flare? o_O

Won’t get into specifics but we don’t use Arrows anymore and our oldest airplane is about 7 years old. Replacing the fleet with new Archers and Seminoles. No one type is used exclusively for landings.

Won’t get into specifics but we don’t use Arrows anymore and our oldest airplane is about 7 years old. Replacing the fleet with new Archers and Seminoles. No one type is used exclusively for landings.
Cool, thanks for the input! Other than RG and a different powerplant aren't the wings virtually identical between an Archer and an Arrow?

The whole "exclusively for landings" thing is peculiar, and doesn't really make sense to me why they would do that. But still, while 30,000 is a big number (and yes, landing is probably the most stressful thing that generally happens to a plane when you fly it).. if that's one of the aircraft's 3 main jobs (takeoff, fly, land) then I still find it disappointing (? not sure the right word) that the wing breaks off if you land it too many times (unless maintenance missed something, like the cracks the NTSB found). The design should have something else fail first. Yeah yeah, weight and all, but the wing is like the one thing on a plane that should really never give up the ghost

That’s not physically possible. In order to make the wing structure stronger than the gear itself, the airplane would be so heavy it would never leave the ground.

I hadn't realized that. Then why make the gear stronger than the spar? What purpose does it serve?

I hadn't realized that. Then why make the gear stronger than the spar? What purpose does it serve?

There is drop tests the aircraft must pass to be certified. So the entire structure must have some level of strength. I think it’s easier to make gear structure stronger than a wing,

There is drop tests the aircraft must pass to be certified. So the entire structure must have some level of strength. I think it’s easier to make gear structure stronger than a wing,

Gear structure is largely steel. Steel doesn't fatigue in normal use. Wing structure is largely aluminum. Aluminum fatigues in normal use.

The gear should be fatiguing first, not the wing. Boeing uses fuse pins on their gear / spar join.
upload_2018-5-25_14-56-55.png

upload_2018-5-25_14-57-40.png

Cool, thanks for the input! Other than RG and a different powerplant aren't the wings virtually identical between an Archer and an Arrow?

The whole "exclusively for landings" thing is peculiar, and doesn't really make sense to me why they would do that. But still, while 30,000 is a big number (and yes, landing is probably the most stressful thing that generally happens to a plane when you fly it).. if that's one of the aircraft's 3 main jobs (takeoff, fly, land) then I still find it disappointing (? not sure the right word) that the wing breaks off if you land it too many times (unless maintenance missed something, like the cracks the NTSB found). The design should have something else fail first. Yeah yeah, weight and all, but the wing is like the one thing on a plane that should really never give up the ghost
I understand the sentiment that the last thing that should fail is the wings, but everything needs to be put into perspective. All materials and items will eventually fatigue and fail, there is not material on Earth that does not have a breaking point.

So then what becomes reasonable use and lifespan?

How strong does a plane need to be when it is new vs how long is it reasonable to expect it to stay that strong?

Are we really expecting these things to last forever? If not, how many hours or cycles should it reasonably last?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Oh nooooo!

IMG_3665.JPG

Been flying a flight school '69 Arrow round and round in the pattern as well as a '76 140! I'm doomed!

If we're looking for reasonable solutions that are not draconian FAA mandates I think the better quest here is.. what CAN we do.. vs listing all the things we CAN'T do. Does the wing need to be stronger? That's not necessarily the implication that some of us made on this thread.. it's the failure mode and the way it happened (and potentially ERAU's treatment of the planes) that stands out

Are we really expecting these things to last forever? If not, how many hours or cycles should it reasonably last?
Ofcourse not, everything ages and gets old. 2006 for a plane is not old however.. nor is the idea that a trainer will be used for.. well.. training, and may age faster than the plane that spends 90 percent of its time in cruise on long XC. If the rumor about 10,000 hr wing replacements at ERAU is true, then maybe that number should be 7,000, or like others have said, factor in landing cycles.. which is not hard. Every time I fly I fill a paper sheet out in the airplane showing the TACH and HOBBs, this has been the case in every plane I have ever flown. I also always fill out my logbook with the number of landings I did. Very simple, just include a landings column on that sheet in the plane. May not be an exact science, but if after 15 years you see that your airplane has been landing 50,000 times that may be a hint that you should be looking at some deeper structural elements, and not just having your buddy Larry sign off on the annual once a year (or the 100 hr).

How strong does a plane need to be when it is new vs how long is it reasonable to expect it to stay that strong?
The wing doesn't need to be stronger. The gear is too strong. Bumpers on cars crumple and absorb the impact first so the driver doesn't feel. The steering column collapses so it doesn't impale the driver.. etc. Some pretty straightforward solution would be to have the gear bolt onto the spar with sheer pins, and bolts that will show signs of stress and deformation; these are commercially available, and would make it pretty easy at annual (or 100 hr, of even preflight through a small inspection window) to see how much stress the wing or gear joint has gone under. I'm not saying overhaul the whole PA28 fleet, that's crazy. But if we're designing new things and trying to advance aviation for the better I think that's a pretty pragmatic solution vs just saying "well we can't make the wing stronger then it won't get airborne" (you didn't say that, but there's a sentiment out there that echoes this

The wing doesn't need to be stronger. The gear is too strong.
You might have the right idea, but I don't think weakening the gear is a good idea.

How about installing some sort of shock indicator, similar to a circuit breaker. If too much upward force is exerted on the gear, the indicator/breaker could trigger a signal light. The light would not go out until someone with a special tool or key resets it and logs it. That way, repeat hard landers could be identified and planes with multiple hard landings could be inspected. Even if it didn't have the reset-able signal, perhaps it could have a counter. Make it so it can't be tampered with and it would help plane buyers (if not hard landing plane sellers). And it would alert A&Ps to check further during annuals.

How about installing some sort of shock indicator, similar to a circuit breaker.
I love it! That's exactly the kind of innovation I'm talking about. There are industrial applications where glass tubes or other things break first to indicate something has been overstressed, or has been subject to too many hard cycles. Etc.

I love it! That's exactly the kind of innovation I'm talking about. There are industrial applications where glass tubes or other things break first to indicate something has been overstressed, or has been subject to too many hard cycles. Etc.
And the FAA would take 5 years to approve it and make it cost $2000.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Me thinks ERAU will scrap all its Arrows. I think the problem will be traced back to the planes being operated in a corrosive environment, namely warm humid Florida near the ocean. I think the end result will be some type of corrosion causing this issue exacerbated by high use in a training environment. I think the accusations that ERAU somehow was negligent or caused this in how they used or maintained these aircraft are unfounded and incorrect. It will be interesting to see what happens.

If corrosion is the problem, then their 172s should be having problems as well. And what about other big schools with pipers in Florida? This seems to be an ER problem only.

Oh nooooo!

View attachment 63396

Been flying a flight school '69 Arrow round and round in the pattern as well as a '76 140! I'm doomed!

If teaching steep turns, I’d go with 45 degrees instead of 60 degrees. Then, no more than 2 landings in the pattern. You’ll be fine. :)

If corrosion is the problem, then their 172s should be having problems as well. And what about other big schools with pipers in Florida? This seems to be an ER problem only.

Not necessarily. But we'll have to wait for the report.

Back